Thursday, April 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, April 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:49 pm Kids books for $1,000 was a bad misfire on the writers' part. I also said "snow day" because "nieve" is snow, and was dumbstruck when it was ruled wrong. "Snowy day" would be Día nevado in Spanish. Should this be tagged as erratum?
Image Image
Fair enough. Still an easy trap to fall into.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I would like to believe that if I was on the show, during the period between FJ category reveal and the actual clue, I would have assembled a log of Classic American Lit that would have included all of Hemingway.

However, since I record the show and watch it later, i skip the commercials and get right back into the action.

I hit Hemingway right away, but couldn't get past For Whom the Bell Tolls even though I knew in my gut it was wrong. Even when I saw the reveal of A Farewell to Arms I knew that was wrong as well. Felicity's reveal brought me to my knees.

Oh well, let's go for a 4/5 week tomorrow.

FWIW, I was also shocked that mini-skirt was named for the car. Seems like a fun poll for the weekend.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 am Those of you who recognized the Lady's name to be certain of your correct response then you need to get on the show.
Sounds good to me. Hemingway is one of my favorites though. I missed the canonical Mary Quant mini-skirt clue.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

I remembered there was a "Lady" in The Sun Also Rises, and it was set in Spain so I went with it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

'Do you solemnly affirm to tell the truth' is a very clunky phrase to my ears. Is it even grammatical?

This sporcle quiz was my recent first, belated introduction to "The Snowy Day", though I just now had it read to me on youtube (no link this time as it's easy enough to find and there are several different readings and I don't wish to endorse one over the others). It may in fact also be a 'snow day', as the kid does not go to school. But seeing as how he didn't wait for radio confirmation or parental advisory, I'm guessing it was either the weekend or Christmas break.

I read "The Sun Also Rises" just a few months ago. I figured it wasn't too long, and Hemingway's a famous author.
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 am
DD3 was once again not uncovered. If Hemant found it would have have bet the 5800+ he needed for a lock? Probably not.
2020 is the worst!

Swatted away Propecia to grab the cash for Minoxidil lol

Spain - Bullfighting - The Sun Also Rises
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The bell tolled for me on this FJ. I thought 1926 was pretty early for Papa, but didn't see any way to extend Gatsby to Spain. I rarely expect to get a literature question, but thought I had a shot here.

I loved the country names in their own language category and got only Ireland. Is this an occasional category? I don't know how the players got those obscure ones.

I was gobstopped on the dress and twelvefootgirl said mini without realizing it matched the car TOM. NHO the hobble dress, just wow, how much crap are we doing now that will just make us look stupid in 100 years?

Speaking of looking bad in 200 years, TIL that George Washington deserves a little more contempt for gaming the system to keep humans in bondage.

It is somewhat sad that the contestants ran from the Vietnam war category like they had bone spurs :( .

Mark B: Throw Huckleberry Finn out of your 20th century Rolodex :).
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:49 pm
Questions & Answers for $1,600 felt like a dreaded game of "Guess the Synonym". I matched neither the contestants nor the writers with "vow". Anyone else misfire on that one?
I also went with "vow". The North Dakota pin pretty much makes this a YEKIOYD.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:28 pm Chronology and geography would have helped retrospectively - The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms are in the 20s, while For Whom the Bell Tolls and A Farewell to Arms are both set in Spain.
A Farewell to Arms is set in Italy.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:07 pm Spain - Bullfighting - The Sun Also Rises
Sure, but the clue didn't mention bullfighting. I got it anyway, but I read it in college. Could have pulled Lady Brett Ashley if needed.
In and out of the pool four times
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:21 pm
Mark B: Throw Huckleberry Finn out of your 20th century Rolodex :).
In a category of CLASSIC AMERICAN NOVELS I will always have Huck on the short list of precalls. 1926 (20th century) only came up after the clue was revealed. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew Franklin Pierce said "affirm" instead of "swear" for his oath of office, but I clammed on the "affirm" clue here because I didn't like the sound of "affirm to tell the truth."

Once I reminded myself the FJ category was CLASSIC AMERICAN NOVELS and therefore swatted away my initial word association from "Lady" to Lady Chatterley's Lover, I knew it had to be Hemingway. I could only think of The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms, and luckily for me I mistook the latter (in two senses) for For Whom the Bell Tolls and dismissed it for being written much later than 1926. If I had thought of all three titles, I may well have gone the wrong way after dismissing one. I might not have even dismissed the correct one!
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Another FWtBT here. Never cared that much for the Lost Generation writers.

LT of Starship Troopers, but be advised there has never been a movie of that Heinlein classic. That is all.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

For Whom the Bell Tolls is set during the Spanish Civil War, so couldn't be that. Have read both, so it was a short route to the answer.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

A Wray wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:23 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:28 pm Chronology and geography would have helped retrospectively - The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms are in the 20s, while For Whom the Bell Tolls and A Farewell to Arms are both set in Spain.
Oops, I messed up juggling the three Wikipedia pages, and trying to do the Venn diagram in my head. This is easier:

TSAR: 20s, Spain.
AFTA: 20s, but Italy.
FWTBT: Spain, but 40s.

I'd NHO Mary Quant, so I guess -THAT- was the TOM, and not the British car. I guess I attacked that clue from the wrong direction.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Poll request for Silver Dollars.
I'm kind of surprised it was even a bottom row clue.
davey

Post by davey »

from North Dakota Rules of Court Rule 6.1, Courtroom Oaths-
...To a witness.
Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? So help you God....A person must be allowed to make an affirmation instead of taking an oath, by substituting the word "affirm" for the word "swear" and substituting the phrase "under the pains and penalties of perjury" for the phrase "so help you God."
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:44 am Poll request for Silver Dollars.
I'm kind of surprised it was even a bottom row clue.
Yeah, as soon as they mentioned "Morgans", what else could it be? Seemed very simple to me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

It's one of my favorite novels, so the connection to Lady Brett Ashley was simple.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:49 pm Kids books for $1,000 was a bad misfire on the writers' part. I also said "snow day" because "nieve" is snow, and was dumbstruck when it was ruled wrong. "Snowy day" would be Día nevado in Spanish. Should this be tagged as erratum?
Image Image
That's why you never, ever touch Libros en Español unless you know the English title. Some of the translations are way off.
Leander

Post by Leander »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:19 am
A Wray wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:23 pm
Oops, I messed up juggling the three Wikipedia pages, and trying to do the Venn diagram in my head. This is easier:

TSAR: 20s, Spain.
AFTA: 20s, but Italy.
FWTBT: Spain, but 40s.

I'd NHO Mary Quant, so I guess -THAT- was the TOM, and not the British car. I guess I attacked that clue from the wrong direction.
FWTBT is Spanish Civil War, so 1930's

Somewhere, I had heard of the Mini Cooper-mini dress connection in the past year or so, and was surprised by it at the time, but I also knew about Mary Quant so would have gotten this one either way. Never heard of hobble skirt though.