Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by Linear Gnome »

Rafferty Barnes wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:05 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:04 pm Two easily recognized contestants on today's show. :D

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=385

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7260
Thank you for recognizing me after all these years.
I recognized you (and Dan) right away. I'm not currently in LL, but I seem to recall that you were my grand-LLama-mama. Nice job!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two game results ruined in one fell swoop as:
Spoiler
Charles from the YouTube preview ep. showed up today. That instantly told me he won today and tomorrow's result I already know from watching that YT ep. ahead of the season beginning.

Today did have some surprises with Charles needing the last 400 pts. of R2 just to make the cut. Ken looked to be in good shape to beat Jonathan head-to-head, but it did not go that way.

Not being sure about answer 5 in the bonus round had me uncertain if it was going to be a tie or not. Prior to that Jonathan had the sucker's response for Hammer's favorite museum.

Knowing the result of today's game made it more fun to hear the Master Minds doing their playful smack talk in the opening.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:07 pm http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6651 was on today's episode.
What about the runner up? Sports J! Terry?

Master Mind Ryan: Nice get on the last Q. The best I could guess for a Mayo connection was Charles Mustard.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 pm Master Mind Ryan: Nice get on the last Q. The best I could guess for a Mayo connection was Charles Mustard.
lol. thank you, Master Mark Barrett! :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The show must be doing okay and will be back for another season as a FB friend posted a casting notice. The industry down south expects to get going at some point as potential contestants must be available for taping from approximately August 2020 - November 2020. That narrows the taping range down. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mrbungle wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 pm Master Mind Ryan: Nice get on the last Q. The best I could guess for a Mayo connection was Charles Mustard.
Not to diminish your win, Ryan, but I thought the Boycott story was pretty well known. Especially given the description in the clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:57 pm
mrbungle wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:39 pm
Not to diminish your win, Ryan, but I thought the Boycott story was pretty well known. Especially given the description in the clue.
Don't ban me: And yet two J! champs did not get it. ;)
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:57 pm Not to diminish your win, Ryan, but I thought the Boycott story was pretty well known. Especially given the description in the clue.
no diminishment taken! :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats through the 6/5/20 game (YouTube preview game now included)
Spoiler

Appearances
Muffy: 45
Jonathan: 42
Ken: 35
Arianna: 5
LaKedra: 5
Ryan: 3

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Ken: 23
Muffy: 4
Jonathan: 3
Arianna: 2
LaKedra: 1

Bonus Round Losses
Muffy: 3
Jonathan: 2

Bonus Round Ties
Ken: 2 (Contestant Missed Tiebreaker & Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)
Jonathan: 1 (Contestant Missed Tiebreaker)
Muffy: 1 (Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)

Master Mind Bonus Round Average Score (Out of possible 5)
LaKedra: 5 (1 time)
Ken: 4.08 (25 times)
Jonathan: 4 (6 times)
Ryan: 4 (3 times)
Muffy: 3.25 (8 times)
Arianna: 3 (2 times)

Bonus Round 5/5 by Master Mind
Ken: 9
Jonathan: 1
Muffy: 1
Arianna: 0
Ryan: 0

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
4/10 - Marshall (4-3 against Muffy)
4/20 - Simon (2-1 against Muffy)
5/6 - Joe (3-2 against Muffy)
5/19 - Morgan (4-3 against Jonathan)
5/20 - Morgan (3-3 against Muffy)
6/1 - Charles (4-3 against Jonathan)
6/2 - Charles (4-4 against Ken)

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Ken: 25
Muffy: 8
Jonathan: 6

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Jonathan: 21
Muffy: 19
Ken: 2

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Muffy: 18
Jonathan: 15
Ken: 8
LaKedra: 3
Arianna: 1

Average 3-Round Score Per Appearance
Ken: 4426
Ryan: 4133
LaKedra: 3100
Arianna: 2680
Muffy: 2282
Jonathan: 1629

Highest Scores by Master Minds through 3 Rounds
Ken: 7400
Muffy: 6000
LaKedra: 5700
Arianna: 5100
Jonathan: 5100
Ryan: 4600
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Spoiler for the 6/5 episode, with an opinion solicited:
Spoiler
On one question, both a contestant and Jonathan wrote and said "Antartica". This was accepted by Brooke, who correctly said "Antarctica".

Would a response of "Antartica" pass muster in FJ! nowadays? My personal opinion is NO, ARE YOU KIDDING ME, OF COURSE NOT!, but I wonder if this is a word that is mispronounced so often that the incorrect spelling becomes an alternate correct spelling.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:51 am Spoiler for the 6/5 episode, with an opinion solicited:
Spoiler
On one question, both a contestant and Jonathan wrote and said "Antartica". This was accepted by Brooke, who correctly said "Antarctica".

Would a response of "Antartica" pass muster in FJ! nowadays? My personal opinion is NO, ARE YOU KIDDING ME, OF COURSE NOT!, but I wonder if this is a word that is mispronounced so often that the incorrect spelling becomes an alternate correct spelling.
Yep*
Spoiler
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Antarctica
Ant·​arc·​ti·​ca | \ ˌant-ˈärk-ti-kə , -ˈär-ti- \

*Well, if it's a spelling category, no, but if Master Minds adheres to J! pronunciation rules, yes, the misspelling still counts
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

They'll take 'nucular' and not bat an eye, so seems hard to believe they wouldn't.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I can easily see "nucular" being accepted orally, but not as a written response to FJ!. I guess my question is: does a common mispronunciation result in the spelling becoming "correct" in a written context? I'd hate to think that the answer is "yes", but I realize that my views are extreme.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:15 am I can easily see "nucular" being accepted orally, but not as a written response to FJ!. I guess my question is: does a common mispronunciation result in the spelling becoming "correct" in a written context? I'd hate to think that the answer is "yes", but I realize that my views are extreme.
FJ uses pronunciation, not spelling. So if what you spell can be pronounced correctly, it counts.
But I don't know if Master Minds uses the same rule.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:15 am I can easily see "nucular" being accepted orally, but not as a written response to FJ!. I guess my question is: does a common mispronunciation result in the spelling becoming "correct" in a written context? I'd hate to think that the answer is "yes", but I realize that my views are extreme.
Merriam-Webster lists that pronunciation of nuclear as nonstandard. It doesn't say that about Antartica. An authority makes all the difference.
I don't like it either, but I would guess that the silent-c version is more common around the US.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Today's episode had Tom Colocci, who won $50,000 on WWTBAM last season.

In the final round, both Tom and Arianna missed the M in RMS Titanic, just as 98% of the audience missed during an episode of the WWTBAM shuffle format. Also a bit surprised both missed "The Little Prince" question.
Douglas Squasoni
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

As I found out, for this week only, Master Minds airs 2 new episodes a day, so the 8:30pm airing this week is NOT a repeat airing, so the season finale is now June 26 instead of July 3.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:31 pm Today's episode had Tom Colocci, who won $50,000 on WWTBAM last season.

In the final round, both Tom and Arianna missed the M in RMS Titanic, just as 98% of the audience missed during an episode of the WWTBAM shuffle format. Also a bit surprised both missed "The Little Prince" question.
Jeez, I won that one 4-2-1 (it always helps to not have Ken around). It's a shame they offer no money whatsoever for the two contestants who don't make it to the final.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:18 pm As I found out, for this week only, Master Minds airs 2 new episodes a day, so the 8:30pm airing this week is NOT a repeat airing, so the season finale is now June 26 instead of July 3.
Thanks for the heads up as I had no idea, although I checked and my settings had it scheduled to record anyway.

3 for me in the final round for sure with the (not gynoserve), independent country, and M in RMS. I may have got four as for the 5th Q I eliminated the Wilson and narrowed it to the Cleveland or Chase in being thrown by the public part of it. I was sure the Cleveland was public since there used to be a story about some rando dropping one in a Salvation Army bucket each Dec.