WWTBAM returns to primetime

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7263
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm
Let me help you out:
Alex: And that does it. And I'm going to make an executive decision here; Ed is on the board with -$1100, but I think we wipe that out and credit--let's make it a +$1100--

[Applause]

Alex: --and that way he'll be around to play in Final Jeopardy!

Ed: Thank you so much.
Wolf Blitzer will be so disappointed.

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1837
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by Robert K S »

It hardly needs to be said, but if this rule had been thought out and established prior to Alex's impromptu sign flip of Ed's score, then a rule that could be applied with more consistency than a sign flip would have been established, otherwise celebrity players' more effective winning strategy would be a laugh-it-up wrong-answers-only race to the bottom.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9651
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by Bamaman »

I do recall early celebrity games where the losings were multiplied by (-1). When did they start just making their score $1,000?

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:38 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:14 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm
Volante wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:32 pm
The archive doesn't have any details about the first Celeb game it happened in, so don't know if Alex even remarked about it:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2586
So, was it in place before the first time it happened? Or was it decided at the moment?
Let me help you out:
Alex: And that does it. And I'm going to make an executive decision here; Ed is on the board with -$1100, but I think we wipe that out and credit--let's make it a +$1100--

[Applause]

Alex: --and that way he'll be around to play in Final Jeopardy!

Ed: Thank you so much.
That's not possible, Alex must be lying. Everything that happens on Jeopardy! even Celebrity Jeopardy!, has to be codified in the official Rulebook. Wayne told me.
which would be the rules they had at the time, no lying going on, only stupidity on your part here today.
Right, you're agreeing with me that Alex was lying. He wasn't making an executive decision, he was just following the rulebook.
Where is it that I agreed with you regarding Alex lying?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 am

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Bamaman wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:30 pm
I do recall early celebrity games where the losings were multiplied by (-1). When did they start just making their score $1,000?
Nov. 1995 still had the minus simply turned into a plus: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5386

Nov. 1996 had the celebs' negative score turned into $1,000: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3011

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4692
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am
jeff6286 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:38 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:14 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm


Let me help you out:

That's not possible, Alex must be lying. Everything that happens on Jeopardy! even Celebrity Jeopardy!, has to be codified in the official Rulebook. Wayne told me.
which would be the rules they had at the time, no lying going on, only stupidity on your part here today.
Right, you're agreeing with me that Alex was lying. He wasn't making an executive decision, he was just following the rulebook.
Where is it that I agreed with you regarding Alex lying?
It was in the rules they had at the time, not as Alex said on the air, an executive decision he was making on the spot.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am
jeff6286 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:38 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:14 pm


That's not possible, Alex must be lying. Everything that happens on Jeopardy! even Celebrity Jeopardy!, has to be codified in the official Rulebook. Wayne told me.
which would be the rules they had at the time, no lying going on, only stupidity on your part here today.
Right, you're agreeing with me that Alex was lying. He wasn't making an executive decision, he was just following the rulebook.
Where is it that I agreed with you regarding Alex lying?
It was in the rules they had at the time, not as Alex said on the air, an executive decision he was making on the spot.
you make less and less sense with every post
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7035
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am
jeff6286 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:38 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:14 pm


That's not possible, Alex must be lying. Everything that happens on Jeopardy! even Celebrity Jeopardy!, has to be codified in the official Rulebook. Wayne told me.
which would be the rules they had at the time, no lying going on, only stupidity on your part here today.
Right, you're agreeing with me that Alex was lying. He wasn't making an executive decision, he was just following the rulebook.
Where is it that I agreed with you regarding Alex lying?
It was in the rules they had at the time, not as Alex said on the air, an executive decision he was making on the spot.
So, per you, Alex lied.

And if Alex lied, Jimmy could have too.

Or they were both telling the truth and you're wrong...but that's apparently not in the cards.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by seaborgium »

Psst... I'm pretty sure Jeff doesn't actually think that Alex was lying

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4692
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by jeff6286 »

Apologies for the sidebar, shouldn't have wasted my time. Trying to get wayne to listen to logic or reason is about as fruitful as trying to teach math to TPH.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:33 pm
Apologies for the sidebar, shouldn't have wasted my time. Trying to get wayne to listen to logic or reason is about as fruitful as trying to teach math to TPH.
It’s logical and reasonable to know game shows have rules, and it’s logical and reasonable to know S&P exists and what that is all about.

But those are two facts you refuse to believe exist in the real world.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7035
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:33 pm
Apologies for the sidebar, shouldn't have wasted my time. Trying to get wayne to listen to logic or reason is about as fruitful as trying to teach math to TPH.
It’s logical and reasonable to know game shows have rules, and it’s logical and reasonable to know S&P exists and what that is all about.

But those are two facts you refuse to believe exist in the real world.
Nope, no one's denying the existence of game show rules or S&P. Want to try another straw man?

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4692
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:33 pm
Apologies for the sidebar, shouldn't have wasted my time. Trying to get wayne to listen to logic or reason is about as fruitful as trying to teach math to TPH.
It’s logical and reasonable to know game shows have rules, and it’s logical and reasonable to know S&P exists and what that is all about.

But those are two facts you refuse to believe exist in the real world.
So let's try this again and I'll talk slower. Was the "reverse the negative score before Final Jeopardy for Celebrities" rule previously established in the rule book, or as Alex said on the air, did he make an executive decision on the spot?

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7012
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by alietr »

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand. Jimmy and Hannibal showed it can be a very enjoyable show when you have the right contestant on. Plus it's fun to see all of my favorite Jeopardy folks back on. I also like Catherine O'Hara's gameplay of making sure she checked with Brad before each answer. And jeez, if you're not sure you know the age for a bar mitzvah, you've got a COHEN to ask.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10533
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by MarkBarrett »

What a relief the pace was slow enough with Dr. Phil for Pam to be able reread the question and save a potential disaster. With some of the snappier celebs it could have been another mess.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7012
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by alietr »

Crud. For Catherine O'Hara, knew the $250 and $500 cold. But then again, I would have needed help on the $32 and $64.

Pam was my first choice for +1 when I was on, but wasn't available. I certainly wouldn't have needed her for Geography, though. And I knew that one.
And again, Dr. Phil kept eschewing Pam's help when it was obvious she could have been useful.

I've enjoyed watching Jimmy on this, I have to say.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Kaitlyn Olsen's $125,000 question was an instaget for me as Cephalic phase was a question on a re-run episode of "The Chase" this week. :o :D

Also happy to see one of my favorite movies this past year, Arctic Dogs, as an answer choice. :D
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 131.8k games
Alpaca Farm: 1480 quizzes

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Laura Lapkus won $500,000 on tonight's episode. Had no idea about the Adam Sandler movie, but knew all the others with no choices needed.

Jimmy Kimmel: On the periodic table, there are four different elements named after what?

Me: That better be the Swedish town of Ytterby.

Unsurprisingly, Jimmy didn't explain that it was Ytterby or that the elements are Yttrium, Ytterbium, Terbium, and Erbium.

Also, just imagine what it would be like to have four elements derived from Sklodowska. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 131.8k games
Alpaca Farm: 1480 quizzes

Post Reply