WWTBAM returns to primetime

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm I'm 7/10 for being able to recite a major credit for the celebrities, so...I guess that's better than nothing in terms of "star power". But of the 10, I'd say you could only refer to maybe 2-4 of them in casual conversation without an appositive or some serious context....but maybe I'm just old.
8/10 for me off name alone. When I looked up the other two my reaction was, "Oh, I know her from The Big Bang Theory." "Oh, the guy who plays "Meathead now."

The ratings will be interesting as 10:00 is not as viewer friendly as 8:00. To me only two (DrP & JF) of the people are real famous. For trivia fans the extra chatter will be fast forward time. Some viewers may look in and go elsewhere when they don't recognize the players. Jimmy Kimmel should be fine for hosting.

If a celebs sucks or is annoying they'll be gone soon enough. I do not expect anything to ever match what went down with Regis. vs. Norm MacDonald.
WhatAreDogs

Post by WhatAreDogs »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm I'm 7/10 for being able to recite a major credit for the celebrities, so...I guess that's better than nothing in terms of "star power". But of the 10, I'd say you could only refer to maybe 2-4 of them in casual conversation without an appositive or some serious context....but maybe I'm just old.

Fairly standard fare - it's basically another game show in ABC's <TrebekVoice> genre </TrebekVoice> of celebrity-driven game show remakes. The only slight surprise is that only two of them are very obvious "ABC celebrities"...usually they cross-promote the heck out of their other shows.

I miss the Fastest Finger. Especially since I beat out about 600 parents and kids at Disney World to play a fake Millionaire game for a chance to win a cruise by just mashing the keypad for a 1 in 23 shot to get in the seat. The kids in the audience booted me out of the seat by giving me some bad advice on my ATA on the traditional 35th anniversary gift. I was 27 at the time, and single, so why would I care?
My parents sent me a picture of the lanyard, pins and hat I won when I was 14. Bombed out at 16,000 when the “phone a complete stranger” gave me a UK gent who had no idea who played Sophia on The Golden Girls... and I locked in my answer too quickly (I am pretty sure the host had leeway to help you out until you got to 32,000).

I think I used a FastPass about 5 times on that vacation to get into the audience for those games: my parents were / are saints.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

While watching ABC today I saw a promo that included Anderson Cooper as another celebrity playing. When checking on that I saw a source that had Andy Cohen as another playing. That 12 names so far for 8 episodes and seems about right. Another thing I read was that the expert can help on the first 10 questions.

That's once within the first 10 questions, right? Or is it for as many as needed creating some kind gabfest with Jimmy making it a +1 on steroids?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:36 pm While watching ABC today I saw a promo that included Anderson Cooper as another celebrity playing. When checking on that I saw a source that had Andy Cohen as another playing. That 12 names so far for 8 episodes and seems about right. Another thing I read was that the expert can help on the first 10 questions.

That's once within the first 10 questions, right? Or is it for as many as needed creating some kind gabfest with Jimmy making it a +1 on steroids?
Something I read seemed to indicate they indeed can help as much as needed through q10, and then the player can use the +1 on one question after Q10 in lieu of one of their lifelines.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In the old celebrity games, the ones not in the hot seat got to shout out answers until they got to $32,000. Will all the celebrities be in studio (socially distanced) or will it just be Jimmy and whoever is playing?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

WhatAreDogs wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Fairly standard fare - it's basically another game show in ABC's <TrebekVoice> genre </TrebekVoice> of celebrity-driven game show remakes. The only slight surprise is that only two of them are very obvious "ABC celebrities"...usually they cross-promote the heck out of their other shows.

I miss the Fastest Finger. Especially since I beat out about 600 parents and kids at Disney World to play a fake Millionaire game for a chance to win a cruise by just mashing the keypad for a 1 in 23 shot to get in the seat. The kids in the audience booted me out of the seat by giving me some bad advice on my ATA on the traditional 35th anniversary gift. I was 27 at the time, and single, so why would I care?
My parents sent me a picture of the lanyard, pins and hat I won when I was 14. Bombed out at 16,000 when the “phone a complete stranger” gave me a UK gent who had no idea who played Sophia on The Golden Girls... and I locked in my answer too quickly (I am pretty sure the host had leeway to help you out until you got to 32,000).

I think I used a FastPass about 5 times on that vacation to get into the audience for those games: my parents were / are saints.
I forget the rest of my deck, but I think the question I missed was 32,000, and I got no help from Disney Regis on any of my questions, including the last one. I think I burned my "phone a complete stranger" lifeline as my first one on a mid-tier clue, and I think I figured out the answer as they were phoning the outside world - it essentially bought me more time, since it was timed. The last clue was one where I used my 50/50 and ATA, but I forget the order. In real Millionaire, it's probably best to go ATA and then 50/50, but I think I used 50/50 first hoping it would leave me with an obviously wrong option - pretty sure it was "The 35th anniversary gift is", and the answers had two easy elimination duds like gold/silver/platinum/diamond, along with jade and emerald. I even KNEW that they don't do 50/50 at random, but I used it anyway hoping they'd leave a dud with the right answer. I also knew ATA would be virtually useless in an audience filled with parents (too young for 35 years of marriage) and kids. They went with emerald, and so did I. At least I got a cool hat!

The irony is that the fastest finger question was to put musicals in order of debut - my virtual wheelhouse. But it was the kryptonite within my wheelhouse - I think they were all 50s and 60s. So, I took my 1 in 23 shot and mashed the keypad as fast as I could.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

They still do the Who Wants to Be a Mouseketeer game on the Disney Cruises, although the game is much shorter and the only prize for a winner is a plastic Mickey-head "medal" (all hot-seat players get a pin).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From Marc Berman's "The Programming Insider"

10:00 p.m.
ABC – Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (series return) Viewers: 6.36 million (#3), A18-49: 1.1/ 6 (#1t)
CBS – S.W.A.T. Viewers: 4.06 million (#3), A18-49: 0.5/ 3 (#3)
NBC – Chicago PD Viewers: 7.98 million (#1), A18-49: 1.1/ 6 (#1t)

10:30 p.m.
ABC – Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (series return) Viewers: 6.23 million (#3), A18-49: 1.1/ 6 (#1t)
CBS – S.W.A.T. Viewers: 3.74 million (#3), A18-49: 0.5/ 2 (#3)
NBC – Chicago PD Viewers: 7.73 million (#1), A18-49: 1.1/ 6 (#1t)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Glad I watched this on my DVR instead of watching it live. Good grief they dragged that out. The Argo question took forever.

The Modern Family guy was way too indecisive. Should have gone with his gut on the postal code question and used his buddy for Argo. Then maybe his friend at home knows the Statue of Liberty. (Though I doubt it). He also wasted time on the phone reading the other Oscar winners which probably was confusing. Just ask which of these four won.

Granted, I’m not a movie guy, but the second player’s first question was really hard for $100.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

So you want celebs to play the game optimally? That won’t be happening. I actually thought he did pretty well for a celeb.

The really sad part is had regular Joes been competing, this thread would have 100 posts with all of us glued to the TV every episode. But no. More celeb blech.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:01 pm Glad I watched this on my DVR instead of watching it live. Good grief they dragged that out. The Argo question took forever.

The Modern Family guy was way too indecisive. Should have gone with his gut on the postal code question and used his buddy for Argo. Then maybe his friend at home knows the Statue of Liberty. (Though I doubt it). He also wasted time on the phone reading the other Oscar winners which probably was confusing. Just ask which of these four won.

Granted, I’m not a movie guy, but the second player’s first question was really hard for $100.
I have no intention of watching regularly, but you intrigued me, so I checked it out. The $100 movie had the biggest star there is, so it was kind of hard to miss mention of it when it came out last year. Whereas one of the other movies in the "Argo" question did win Best Director, so it was easy to misremember that it won Best Picture too. I was thinking maybe it was older than 10 years so didn't fit the question. It would have made me very nervous if it was my question.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

What was the $100 movie question? I watched this but don't remember much of the questions in the first 5, didn't recall anything I'd expect someone to call "really hard".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:29 pm What was the $100 movie question? I watched this but don't remember much of the questions in the first 5, didn't recall anything I'd expect someone to call "really hard".
I don’t remember what it was, but it just seemed difficult for the $100 level. It was certainly harder than the first $100 question. I don’t remember that either.

I had actually never heard of that movie.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:29 pm What was the $100 movie question? I watched this but don't remember much of the questions in the first 5, didn't recall anything I'd expect someone to call "really hard".
It required identifying the movie "Ad Astra" by knowing the star and/or subject matter. Some people might get it from knowing what "astra" means, though that's less likely in a celebrity game... ;)
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:01 pm Glad I watched this on my DVR instead of watching it live. Good grief they dragged that out. The Argo question took forever.
I agree with you. After he used the Phone-a-Friend and got cut off after his friend said "Ar-", I was like, "Say Argo! At least he ended up saying it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I just finished watching that first episode — not bad at all, jimmy Kimmel does a good job as host and they keep the game moving right along. I was struck by the return to the earlier question valuations and lower plateau levels. Will Forte just seems scared to answer anything. And seeing conmercials for The Bachelor featuring Chris Harrison was a tad jarring.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Keep in mind that every single question below $32K is almost meaningless, since every charity is guaranteed a minimum of $32K. (Freeze the end of the show if you don't believe me.) Granted, getting a question wrong means that you're ineligible for higher prizes, and might make you look like a doofus.

I agree that it would be MUCH better without the celebrities. I didn't feel any of the questions were challenging until the Cone of Darkness came down in the final third - although I would have used a lifeline on the "Roy family" if I hadn't thought it through like they did, since Succession is the only one with a family. For the final two, I got Argo, and was about 80% confident about it. Probably enough to push. Wasn't sure about Lady Liberty, and would have definitely burned what I could - but my guess was the correct answer.

Kimmel was fine as host. Yeah, I'd prefer Regis, but we can't get what we want all the time. Eric Stonestreet's lifeline usage and indecisiveness wasn't optimal, but...what do you expect from a celeb? Plus, I have mad respect for people who have different risk tolerances than I. He didn't feel confident, and he used a crutch - that's his prerogative.

Also, he seemed surprised when they allowed him to sub a fourth lifeline at the third tier. I'd hope they'd make him aware of this in the pre-game briefing, but given that this was taped in a chaotic time, I can understand how it could have been overlooked. It would vastly change the idea of using Kimmel at all - I'd use any other lifeline, and then sub in my buddy for Kimmel. Of course, he DID use Jimmy for the perfect question, which was probably the best part of the show for me.

You have to change your mindset comparing J! and Millionaire. J! is action-packed, fast-paced, and more intellectual. Millionaire is a tension-building slog. I can see why they picked celebrities, since half the time in a typical Millionaire game is spent chatting, and celebrities are used to that type of interaction.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:30 pm Keep in mind that every single question below $32K is almost meaningless, since every charity is guaranteed a minimum of $32K. (Freeze the end of the show if you don't believe me.) Granted, getting a question wrong means that you're ineligible for higher prizes, and might make you look like a doofus.
Another thing to look for when freezing at the end is one of of the writers is a J! UTOCer and JBoard member.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway post_i wrote: I didn't feel any of the questions were challenging until the Cone of Darkness came down in the final third - although I would have used a lifeline on the "Roy family" if I hadn't thought it through like they did, since Succession is the only one with a family.
I'm not sure about Dead to Me, which seems to center on 2 friends, but The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is largely about her relationship with her parents the Weissmans. Her (ex-)husband and in-laws are major characters too. And Ozark is all about the Byrde family (Mom, Dad, two kids) transplanted into nefarious doings in Missouri.