FJs for the 2/27/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 2/27/12 week?

Poll ended at Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 pm

"No day shall erase you from the memory of time", from Virgil's "Aeneid", is inscribed on a wall at this memorial
13%
On nominating this man in 1967, LBJ said "It is the right thing to do, the right time to do it, the right man & the right place"
65%
The Catholic & Eastern churches separated in 1054, when the Pope & Patriarch did this to each other; it was undone in 1965
93%
In 1711 Newton led the Royal Society in London & his greatest rival led the Academy of Sciences in this capital city
32%
The first time we meet this man in a 1981 novel, he's in his cell holding "Le Grand Dictionnaire de Cuisine"
78%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
5%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
DRUM & DRUMMER $600: This pair of cymbals is mounted on a rod so the upper cymbal can be lifted & dropped on the lower by means of a pedal
60%
CANADA'S WALK OF FAME $1600: This Quebec-based circus troupe got a star in 2002
93%
COLLEGE TOWNS $600: DePaul University
58%

Total votes: 101

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 2/27/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. MEMORIALS

2/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"No day shall erase you from the memory of time", from Virgil's "Aeneid", is inscribed on a wall at this memorial

2/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 1960s

2/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On nominating this man in 1967, LBJ said "It is the right thing to do, the right time to do it, the right man & the right place"

2/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY

2/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Catholic & Eastern churches separated in 1054, when the Pope & Patriarch did this to each other; it was undone in 1965

3/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENTISTS

3/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1711 Newton led the Royal Society in London & his greatest rival led the Academy of Sciences in this capital city

3/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOK VILLAINS

3/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first time we meet this man in a 1981 novel, he's in his cell holding "Le Grand Dictionnaire de Cuisine"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
9/11 Memorial in New York City
Thurgood Marshall
Excommunicated
Berlin
Hannibal Lecter
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 0-1-3-1-2 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

DRUM & DRUMMER $600: This pair of cymbals is mounted on a rod so the upper cymbal can be lifted & dropped on the lower by means of a pedal

CANADA'S WALK OF FAME $1600: This Quebec-based circus troupe got a star in 2002

COLLEGE TOWNS $600: DePaul University

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
High-hat
Cirque du Soleil
Chicago
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 2/27/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was only 2/5 on the FJs, but I at least made sure I was 3/3 on the others which should poll higher than the ones I selected last week.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm guessing Virgil's going to poll under 20%. (And thanks for the 3/3 extras.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll take it.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I stupidly thought that the TOM on Monday was "wall", so I went with the Vietnam memorial.
billiej

Post by billiej »

:twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, no clue, instaget, Rome, instaget.

Ran the drum category even though I'm not a drummer — I know the names of each drum from having seen them in my score writer program.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

AZ Memorial, Vienna for where Liebniz was reknowned.
Should've gotten Cirque de Soleil. I mean, duh.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

"Pearl Harbor" on Monday (by which I meant the USS Arizona Memorial, though that is not what I said); Rome on Thursday.

Learned "hi-hat cymbal" only last week.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yay for a good week for once.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( Thinking classic lit rather than Hannibal Lecter. Derp.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: No problems here.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Vietnam Memorial on Monday; Paris on Thursday.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll take it.
What he said.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

:cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

Vietnam, Bobby Kennedy, Paris... At least I wasn't alone on any of those.

College towns would be a downfall for me. At least I got two others this week, which is two more than usual.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote::( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( Thinking classic lit rather than Hannibal Lecter. Derp.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: No problems here.
Is there classic literature from 1981? I unfortunately drew a total blank on the Lecter clue, not even being able to come with any reasonable guess. I even paused before the FJ reveal and spent another 5 or 10 minutes thinking about it while I fixed my dinner, but still couldn't even think of any remotely plausible answer. The French title had me trying to think of French characters, or characters in a French novel, which had me in the area of The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, and the Man in the Iron Mask, none of which were written anywhere near the year in question. From there I tried to think of a character from a novel-turned-movie, which as it turned out had me on the right track, but I still never seemed to get anywhere close to thinking of Hannibal Lecter. Even now, I still can't think of any plausible guess for an imprisoned character introduced in a 1981 novel. Can anyone else think of an incorrect answer that might be considered anywhere near a decent guess? The closest I came was Cruella DeVil, since she has a French-sounding name and was a villain, so she could have spent some time in the slammer. However, I was pretty sure that she wasn't a "he", I doubted if 101 Dalmatians was based on a novel, and I was pretty sure that the Disney film came out in the 1960s, so it would have been quite improbable for us to meet him/her for the first time in a 1981 novel.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?

College towns are always a weakness for me, I may have got 1 right there (and I don't think it was the top row one)

Like TPH, I knew hi-hat from a score writer / MIDI composer program from long, long ago (back when MIDIs were more common, but I still use (a different one) to create music on the computer). Always thought it was "hi-hat", though, but a check of the Archive shows "high-hat" in the spelling.
jeff6286 wrote:Is there classic literature from 1981? I unfortunately drew a total blank on the Lecter clue, not even being able to come with any reasonable guess. I even paused before the FJ reveal and spent another 5 or 10 minutes thinking about it while I fixed my dinner, but still couldn't even think of any remotely plausible answer. The French title had me trying to think of French characters, or characters in a French novel, which had me in the area of The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, and the Man in the Iron Mask, none of which were written anywhere near the year in question. From there I tried to think of a character from a novel-turned-movie, which as it turned out had me on the right track, but I still never seemed to get anywhere close to thinking of Hannibal Lecter. Even now, I still can't think of any plausible guess for an imprisoned character introduced in a 1981 novel. Can anyone else think of an incorrect answer that might be considered anywhere near a decent guess? The closest I came was Cruella DeVil, since she has a French-sounding name and was a villain, so she could have spent some time in the slammer. However, I was pretty sure that she wasn't a "he", I doubted if 101 Dalmatians was based on a novel, and I was pretty sure that the Disney film came out in the 1960s, so it would have been quite improbable for us to meet him/her for the first time in a 1981 novel.
The language of the novel title didn't get me to Lecter, it was the translation of it (something like "The Great Dictionary of Cooking"). For some reason, even though I don't recall having seen Silence, that instantly made me think of Lecter (and his unfortunate census taker). It seemed to me only a seriously deranged individual would read cook books in his cell, which narrowed it down.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:shock: :D :D :( :D
:( :D :D

That wording, that wall could have been on just about any memorial anywhere in the U.S. Not a good clue.

As for Berlin, it took me all thirty seconds to remember Leibniz's name, so I had no chance to get to the capital city in time.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Almost a perfect week.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Always thought it was "hi-hat", though, but a check of the Archive shows "high-hat" in the spelling.
You are correct. It is hi-hat (or just hihat).
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

dhkendall wrote: The language of the novel title didn't get me to Lecter, it was the translation of it (something like "The Great Dictionary of Cooking"). For some reason, even though I don't recall having seen Silence, that instantly made me think of Lecter (and his unfortunate census taker). It seemed to me only a seriously deranged individual would read cook books in his cell, which narrowed it down.
The referenced scene wasn't from 'Silence of the Lambs' (which came out in 1988). It was from "Red Dragon", published in 1981.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.