Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

I'm astonished Marshall finished the game above 15K, considering how far behind the eightball he was at DD3. The gimme FInal certainly helped him.
Had Emma answered correctly, Marsall would still be in good shape for a wildcard. It sucks that after dominating the scoreboard for the first two/thirds of the game, she now almost needs a miracle to make the semi-finals.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 pm And of course it was hilarious that the Texas person beat the Princeton person to the buzzer when the answer was Princeton [...]
Princeton was not a correct response to any clue. The clue asking for Woodrow Wilson alluded to his time as president of the school and the clue
asking for F. Scott Fitzgerald mentioned Princeton in the text.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:48 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am
That Final Jeopardy! was hard for a College Championship, in my opinion.
Really? "Big ditch"? 1914?
I will take the over at 90%. I haven't read ahead to see how other boardies have fared yet.
(ETA - there's been some chatter in the previous 15 intervening messages, and I think MB is going to smoke me with his 70% forecast :( )

I loved Emma all the way through, especially since she is a Civil Engineer with an unusual second of History. And then she got a FJ clue based on Civil Engineering and History. Good thing I'm toughened from watching the Chiefs lose from ahead all these years (except this one of course :)).

The "No Man's Land" reply caught me off guard and is a pretty good WAG, excepting that only a sadist would make it an "8th" wonder, and it is the gap between the ditches. The Stanford clue was partial negbait because it's really a sports question. I think the Seven Sisters question is more obscure to a young student than the writers realize.

I liked the categories. And I screwed up Suriname and Dutch again.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It seemed to me like Marshall was trying to improve his buzzing consistency by leaning on his elbows, but I don't know how much that helps when you then stand up straight and rearrange yourself after every buzz. When I was preparing for the show I tried to find a stance I could maintain for long periods of time, deciding it would be to my advantage to make it a free-standing one. Resetting it up to 59 times would not have been.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I thought this was tough for a college game, but what do I know? I was never a "quiz bowl" person in high school or college, so a category like OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN COMMON wouldn't be up my alley. Unlike Ken Jennings, I never really pored over the World Book or atlases...I mean, maybe I grazed a few pages forward and backward when I was looking up stuff for school reports, but not to the point where I'd memorize countries and languages. Similarly, PRESIDENTIAL NICKNAMES seems like something you'd pick up by memorizing lists for quiz bowl, and not by being an amazing history student...but I could be wrong.

There was a LOT of clue misplacement, IMO. I got more bottom row clues right than top row clues. For example, FOX + "setting records" = what show? If you know how J! likes to pun around, you know it's Empire, even if you've never watched the show or heard of the supporting actors given (like me).

I can see where the "Cardinal" lead to the incorrect response of Northwestern - perhaps she overthought the clue as a pun, and was thinking of cardinal as in "cardinal direction". But...northwestern is an intercardinal/intermediate/ordinal direction.

History repeats itself with the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company from an earlier FJ! clue this year.

I matched the Hoover Dam for the wrong response. Didn't think it through enough. Looking up the timing, duh. Hoover Dam = New Deal. And it has the name H O O V E R in it! For some reason, I thought, "Huh, strange that it's in America and they didn't have 'America' in the title". I honestly didn't know the date of the Panama Canal, but I'd honestly would have put it around the 1890s...which is sort of right, since it started construction in the 1880s. And, again, "finished" is a big clue I missed - something that took a long time to build. Hoover Dam sort of qualifies - 5 years is quite awhile, but pales in comparison to the Panama Canal.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm sick of the R&RJ theme being used in college tourneys too, but WTF was the music today?!

Why was Johnny in the studio on a Monday? Staggered tapings for the championship?

Alphanumerics for $200 felt like a coinflip on R2-D2/C-3PO and I saw literally no way to narrow it down.

I didn't recognize a single thing in that TV category except for "Masked Singer".

0/5 in Language in Common and Personal Trainer.

I found the entire DJ! board extremely tough, other than What Do You Stand For? Couldn't pull EVOO since I was stuck on mechanical things in the kitchen, not culinary ones.

"Venus" seemed obscure for the top box since there are lots of gods of love and I saw no way to narrow it down.

Any reason I should know what state Matthew McConahughey is from? That seemed insanely esoteric.

1914 and "Big Ditch" just somehow didn't click with me at all. I was completely stumped. Even when Panama Canal came up, I was certain it was built in 1917.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:44 pm
I loved Emma all the way through, especially since she is a Civil Engineer with an unusual second of History. And then she got a FJ clue based on Civil Engineering and History.
Oof, you're right! Didn't even think of that...

I don't think this FJ will poll 90%, but I bet it will be over 75%.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 pm
I mean, maybe I grazed a few pages forward and backward when I was looking up stuff for school reports, but not to the point where I'd memorize countries and languages.
That category did get tough toward the bottom, but the top three were pretty deducible without any advanced study. Bahrain is off the Arabian peninsula and Chad is in North Africa, so what's the likely common tongue? If there is a lingua franca among former Soviet republics, what is it likely to be? What language is common to Dutch colonies (or former colonies)? Quechua is tougher, I'll grant, but it was the bottom row. I also admit I did not like the Switzerland-Burundi clue (and, while I'm at it, I'll admit that I missed it). Burundi was controlled by Germany before Belgium took over, so German seemed just as plausible as French.
PRESIDENTIAL NICKNAMES seems like something you'd pick up by memorizing lists for quiz bowl, and not by being an amazing history student...but I could be wrong.
"Father of the Constitution" and "Tricky Dick" were the only putative nicknames I was sure I'd heard before, but all were still gettable with basic knowledge of those five particular presidents.

Ok, time for me to play the student.
FOX + "setting records" = what show? If you know how J! likes to pun around, you know it's Empire, even if you've never watched the show or heard of the supporting actors given (like me).
You'll grant though that it helps to have heard of the show, or the hip-hop record label, or the 1995 movie with the 6.7 rating on the IMDB? Alas, I knew nothing of any of that.

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:44 pm
I think the Seven Sisters question is more obscure to a young student than the writers realize.
At first I thought you were referring to the Bryn Mawr clue, which asked you to connect trees to "Arbor Day". I only wondered how that one found its way to the bottom row. Still, I think "women" (or "alumnae"), plus "numerical", plus "northeastern", offered enough meat to make a sandwich. And if college students don't know of the Seven Sisters, who else ought to? I did think "Colby" was tough. Bowdoin is the first college I tend to associate with Maine, but Waterville sounded like the wrong city (not that I knew the right one).
I'm smart and I want respect.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:20 pm I'm sick of the R&RJ theme being used in college tourneys too, but WTF was the music today?!
I believe they've moved from recycling the Rock & Roll J! music to recycling the Sports J! music.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:44 pmThe Stanford clue was partial negbait because it's really a sports question.
I don't think you know what negbait is.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

I was surprised Emma didn't get final. She is a civil engineering and history student. I cannot imagine she didn't learn about the Panama Canal in at least one of those disciplines.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Oh, Emma, you broke my heart. I thought you were going to do my school proud. I'll keep some long-shot hope alive.

Instaget. Very quick detour after settling on the correct answer to the Suez Canal to make sure, but that was much earlier. Pen down, done. Those "predictions" were indeed hilarious. I'll take the over on 70%.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

I thought Panama Canal was obvious.

If I were Emma, I probably would have bet 0 on the final hoping that 12K would be enough to get me at least a wild card.
Gemini Bowie
Contributor

Post by Gemini Bowie »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am That Final Jeopardy! was hard for a College Championship, in my opinion.
WUT! When would you expect to learn that? Post grad?
Last edited by Gemini Bowie on Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gemini Bowie
Contributor

Post by Gemini Bowie »

DanKirshner wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:07 am I thought Panama Canal was obvious.

If I were Emma, I probably would have bet 0 on the final hoping that 12K would be enough to get me at least a wild card.
Yes, it was obvious, and in no way is the Hoover Dam a ditch. That was a $200 Jeopardy Round question.

If anyone should get that FJ, it was Emma.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:20 pm No offense to VJ from Fickle Fame, but I thought it was pretty easy. A "big ditch" opened in 1914? As said above, WECIB?
Yep. No way should tournament-caliber players miss that.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I mentally facepalmed when the player from Princeton either missed or ignored every clue directly or peripherally related to Princeton and the Ivy League. And when the sophomore from Texas didn't get the one about sophomores, or Texas. And I think I concussed myself when the engineer put down a dam as a "Big Ditch".

At least no one thought the Grand Canyon was only 100 or so years old.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

NYCScribbler wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:27 am I mentally facepalmed when the player from Princeton either missed or ignored every clue directly or peripherally related to Princeton and the Ivy League. And when the sophomore from Texas didn't get the one about sophomores, or Texas.
I thought the sophomore did get the question about sophomores.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Panama Canal sprung to mind immediately and I spent the next 29 seconds overthinking it. Suez Canal? Erie Canal? Soo Locks? No, no and no. I was expecting a higher get rate from the contestants. Heck, I would expect a higher get rate for Teen Week contestants.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I didn't have the Panama Canal's opening year committed to memory, but I knew Teddy Roosevelt was instrumental in its construction, so that put it sometime during or after his Presidency. 1914 seemed a tad late, but not late enough for anything else to make more sense.