Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8651
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

MitchO wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:10 pm
It's even simpler than this ... "Droid" is the little things that beep boop, C3PO is humanoid and speaks.
C3PO is a droid.

User avatar
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MitchO »

Huh, look at that. So he is.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1725
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

MitchO wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:36 pm
Huh, look at that. So he is.
Sigh. Penguin is still on sabbatical and somebody has to do this:
He is not the droid you are looking for. :lol: :lol:

I'm here late and off topic, but I also have seen every movie but only once when it was released in theaters, therefore I'm not a fanboy. I do not recall the term "astromech". Did they mention this 45 years ago when the show was such a game changer and exciting? It literally was the first movie I ever enjoyed and I actually looked at my watch to see how much longer it might last because it was so good. So I didn't cling to minutiae? Maybe. I remember the line above, and really loved the Cantina scene.

I would have answered R2D2 for being alphanumeric, but I don't know why. I remembered it first I guess. It's a fair clue with different paths - Get the YEKIOYD, Flip the coin, don't remember both of their names, or just Clam.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:56 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:17 pm
I'm actually going to agree with you on this. I'm not a superfan, but I've seen all the main "Skywalker saga" movies and the two interloping ones that came out in the last 3-4 years, and had never absorbed the term "astromech". I can't see why R2D2 would be astromech instead of C3PO just based on etymology - they both seem to be machines, and they both travel amongst the stars. That said, I think of R2D2 as the "star/astral navigator". And I did know that C3PO is a "protocol droid" - basically a translator plus etiquette/customs.
R2D2 goes in the 'mechanic' seat of Luke's X-Wing and can perform repairs in flight. (Hence, star mechanic)

R2 was also the one who'd always be jacked into some port or another saving the humanoids from certain death on the other side of the station.

I suppose this does require being able to expand 'mech' to 'mechanic' though
See, I didn't really even know that - I always thought of him (it?) as a navigator. And if you expand "mech" to "mechanicAL", well...

But that said, I didn't even see "astromech" when the clue appeared. I just parsed the clue as "alphanumeric, robot, Star Wars, in at least two of the three trilogies - you've got 400 more milliseconds - GO!". If I'd thought of C3PO, I'd have to clam based on EV.

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:46 pm
I do not recall the term "astromech".
As far as I can tell, "astromech" is not spoken in any of the movies and does not even appear in the description line in any of the original scripts (Lucas wrote "astro-robot" and "astro droid" to describe Artoo(s) in A New Hope and The Phantom Menace, respectively). There were many, many terms, though, that fans knew from merch or tie-ins or other sources. The name of Luke's home planet isn't spoken in the original movie but everybody knew Luke was from Tatooine. Nobody says the word "Ewok" in Return of the Jedi but somehow everybody knew what an Ewok was by the end of 1983.

Tracing down the first publication of the term "astromech" would probably take more sleuthing than I am willing to devote (I'll ask over on reddit, I guess), but the term was certainly in currency among fans by the mid-'80s and appeared in A Guide to the Star Wars Universe by Raymond L. Velasco, published 1984. It possibly appeared in the 1981 NPR radio drama, which fleshed out the universe in greater detail than was done in the movies, but I don't have a transcript handy to check that.

EDIT: reddit came through, the term appears in the 1976 Alan Dean Foster novelization of the first movie.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1725
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:21 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:46 pm
I do not recall the term "astromech".
As far as I can tell, "astromech" is not spoken in any of the movies and does not even appear in the description line in any of the original scripts (Lucas wrote "astro-robot" and "astro droid" to describe Artoo(s) in A New Hope and The Phantom Menace, respectively). There were many, many terms, though, that fans knew from merch or tie-ins or other sources. The name of Luke's home planet isn't spoken in the original movie but everybody knew Luke was from Tatooine. Nobody says the word "Ewok" in Return of the Jedi but somehow everybody knew what an Ewok was by the end of 1983.

Tracing down the first publication of the term "astromech" would probably take more sleuthing than I am willing to devote (I'll ask over on reddit, I guess), but the term was certainly in currency among fans by the mid-'80s and appeared in A Guide to the Star Wars Universe by Raymond L. Velasco, published 1984. It possibly appeared in the 1981 NPR radio drama, which fleshed out the universe in greater detail than was done in the movies, but I don't have a transcript handy to check that.

EDIT: reddit came through, the term appears in the 1976 Alan Dean Foster novelization of the first movie.
Wow, masked man, that's a lot of context! So I may be inattentive and forgetful, but yeah, this little nugget is at least second level knowledge :). I think a lot of people got it right without even realizing it was ambiguous to C3P0 (I don't know if this is zero or "O") because we didn't even think about him/her/it. Thanks for the hard work, I hope it pays off to a boardie in a galaxy far away ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ParrotRob »

gameshowfandanny wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:36 pm
ParrotRob wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:23 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am

That Final Jeopardy! was hard for a College Championship, in my opinion.
WECIB? Is history not taught anymore?
The reason I thought it was hard is because VJ from FikkleFame predicted in the comments of a thread on his site that nobody would get it right (he was close to that).
Source: https://fikklefame.com/spoiler-talk-cotd-mon/
So, not to beat you up or anything, you said it was hard "in my opinion" (your exact quote). Then you say you thought that because some random dude on some random website predicted that no one would get it right. So really, that's not really "your opinion", that's "VJ's opinion". What was YOUR opinion on the difficulty of that question BEFORE you were given your opinion by "VJ"? What else do you think it could have possibly been?
--
Drowning in the pool

gameshowfandanny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gameshowfandanny »

ParrotRob wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:30 am
gameshowfandanny wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:36 pm
ParrotRob wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:23 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am

That Final Jeopardy! was hard for a College Championship, in my opinion.
WECIB? Is history not taught anymore?
The reason I thought it was hard is because VJ from FikkleFame predicted in the comments of a thread on his site that nobody would get it right (he was close to that).
Source: https://fikklefame.com/spoiler-talk-cotd-mon/
So, not to beat you up or anything, you said it was hard "in my opinion" (your exact quote). Then you say you thought that because some random dude on some random website predicted that no one would get it right. So really, that's not really "your opinion", that's "VJ's opinion". What was YOUR opinion on the difficulty of that question BEFORE you were given your opinion by "VJ"? What else do you think it could have possibly been?
I guess it's easy for college students. After all, they're older than me, as I'm 13.

Post Reply