Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

J! Round
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WONDERS OF THE MODERN WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Nicknamed "The Big Ditch", in 2014 this modern wonder celebrated its 100th anniversary

Marshall Comeaux: 8800+8799=17599 (Semi-finalist)
Emma Farrell: 12200-5401=6799
Sirad Hassan: 2600-2500=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Panama Canal (Emma – Hoover Dam) (Sirad – No Mans Land)

Daily Doubles
Emma: 4000+2000
Marshall: 1000+1000
Marshall: 800+2000

Coryats
Marshall: 9400
Emma: 11000
Sirad: 2600

Combined: 23,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Marshall: 1000
Emma: 9400
Sirad: 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here are the opening graphics:
Spoiler
Johnny was working today and Alex said this is the 30th College Championship.

Emma opened up a nice lead in the J! round, but could not avoid mistakes on her way to be far from a runaway. Marshall earned his spot in the semis though his road was probably more difficult than he imagined it would be.

Marshall found DD2 on first pick and went true DD in not fully grasping the difference between that phrase and the 2000 house limit. Alex held his hand more on DD3 to make sure Marshall understood he could bet up to 2000 and Marshall still had trouble as he said, "I'll risk up to $2000." :roll:

The FJ! clue going 1/3 and the combined Coryat at only 23,000 has me worried for the rest of the tournament and I can only hope the Tuesday numbers look better.

No 2010s music today to help my Coryat stay in shape as TV OF TODAY for 5/5 was more to my liking for being up on current pop culture.

For think time there was the college marching band type of music to change it up for these two weeks.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I'm guessing Marshall will be the only contestant today to make the semifinals (meaning that neither of the other contestants today get a Wild Card spot), since Emma and Sirad's scores were low.
That Final Jeopardy! was hard for a College Championship, in my opinion. Emma did great in the Jeopardy! Round, but Marshall found both Daily Doubles in the Double Jeopardy! Round (and got them both right) to prevent Emma from having a runaway. I think Marshall has a good chance in the semifinals.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6596

16W plus the 2 misses on the FJ! clue and 11TS. Yikes!
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am
That Final Jeopardy! was hard for a College Championship, in my opinion.
Really? "Big ditch"? 1914?
gameshowfandanny

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:48 pm
Really? "Big ditch"? 1914?
I'd say any Final Jeopardy! with at least two incorrect responses is hard.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

WECIB? Is history not taught anymore?
--
Drowning in the pool
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Bottom Two in TV of Today and Questlove.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Colby College, Stanford, Dutch, Spanish & Quechua, Seven Sisters, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Rene Magritte, Metabolic Conditioning, The Goldfinch, Isometrics, Lats
Douglas Squasoni
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Entire Show Expect Final(for a 2nd week in a row a ep did this) Preempted as my County was Updating their Pandemic Situation. Ill see the New Graphics Tomorrow. That was the Sports Jeopardy final music, No?

Why did i think it was the Grand Canyon?
gameshowfandanny

ParrotRob wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:23 pm
WECIB? Is history not taught anymore?
The reason I thought it was hard is because VJ from FikkleFame predicted in the comments of a thread on his site that nobody would get it right (he was close to that).
Source: https://fikklefame.com/spoiler-talk-cotd-mon/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No offense to VJ from Fickle Fame, but I thought it was pretty easy. A "big ditch" opened in 1914? As said above, WECIB?

I agree with Mark it wasn't the best college tourney game ever. I think Marshall did the right thing in going big on his FJ bet.
Golf

Post by Golf »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:56 pm I'd say any Final Jeopardy! with at least two incorrect responses is hard.
gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:36 pm The reason I thought it was hard is because VJ from FikkleFame predicted in the comments of a thread on his site that nobody would get it right (he was close to that).
Source: https://fikklefame.com/spoiler-talk-cotd-mon/
OK, let's get you started on a college course in statistics and logic.

There are probably tens of thousands of college students out there who could compete in this tournament. We saw three of them today. Three of tens of thousands. And because of the results of three people of a possible sample size of tens of thousands you came to the conclusion that the clue was difficult. This is false reasoning because the sample size is way too small. In Jeopardy you can never determine the difficulty level of the clue by the results of the three people on stage. This is not an uncommon mistake made by adults, they see the result of one or two trials and immediately jump to a conclusion based on only that.

Furthermore, don't make a conclusion based on some random on the internet. Who the hell is VJ from FikkleFame? What is FikkleFame anyway? Who cares? Don't get misled by others, make your own conclusions based on your own thoughts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

https://fikklefame.com/spoiler-talk-cotd-mon/

scroll down to the bottom and then scroll up a bit to read the comments in order.

There are a few regulars there who try to guess the success of the contestants on the FJ! clue based on seeing the clue and category before watching the game.

To judge the clue's degree of difficulty based on their predictions was hilarious. To then make it only based on what VJ thought was funnier.

I find the site worth a quick look each game day after I watch just for ___ and giggles.

gameshowdanny: Wait for about 10 responses on this board as a better guide for how the FJ! clue played. We're not there yet, but I would expect the poll to go past 70%.

As for liking Marshall's chances in the semis? After one game we only know who he won't be playing. I would bet nothing on him at this point to make the finals.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:38 pm 16W plus the 2 misses on the FJ! clue and 11TS. Yikes!
Brutal to watch. I was not expecting such a rough game from the college kids. For most of the game I was worried Marshall and Sirad would keep shooting themselves in the foot and both finish in the red.

If I've seen/heard it called "the big ditch" before, I'm drawing a blank...but 1914? Gotta be the Panama Canal. Shocked it was a single get, but then again after the game I just watched maybe I shouldn't be.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am That Final Jeopardy! was hard for a College Championship, in my opinion.
Couldn't disagree more. They might as well have said "Panama City is located just to the east of this canal that runs through Panama."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Immediately going to the bottom of a TV category is a great way to lose my support. :x
Northwestern in the Pac-12? :shock:
:D :D :D on DDs.
Instaget FJ. Pure WECIB. :mrgreen:
gameshowfandanny

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:01 pm https://fikklefame.com/spoiler-talk-cotd-mon/

scroll down to the bottom and then scroll up a bit to read the comments in order.

There are a few regulars there who try to guess the success of the contestants on the FJ! clue based on seeing the clue and category before watching the game.

To judge the clue's degree of difficulty based on their predictions was hilarious. To then make it only based on what VJ thought was funnier.

I find the site worth a quick look each game day after I watch just for ___ and giggles.

gameshowdanny: Wait for about 10 responses on this board as a better guide for how the FJ! clue played. We're not there yet, but I would expect the poll to go past 70%.

As for liking Marshall's chances in the semis? After one game we only know who he won't be playing. I would bet nothing on him at this point to make the finals.
I should have known that Marshall will probably be defeated in the semifinals, given the fact that he was in second place going into Final Jeopardy! and he only won because Emma got it wrong. And as for what Golf said, I just have a habit of agreeing with opinions of super-fans, which I'll try not to do anymore.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This game was a severe disaster. I thought it was amusing when the contestant tried to shut Alex up on his commentary after the penultimate clue in order to get the last clue in before the buzzer. She obviously doesn't know that they play all 60 clues in the quarterfinal game of the tournament.

I am also not in favor of working back to the difficulty level of the clue based on the number of correct responses in the game. My personal metric for how easy that was is that I used the skip button on my PVR to go through the 30 seconds to think music. Of course, that metric would pertain only to me, but as an experienced Observer of this game, I have to believe that a wide swath of regular viewers of Jeopardy got that correct.

And of course it was hilarious that the Texas person beat the Princeton person to the buzzer when the answer was Princeton and the Princeton person beat the Texas person to the buzzer when the answer was Texas. The latter seemed like a grudge Buzz.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.