Friday, April 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, April 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 pm Here's one for the judges:
A faithful king, queen or prince
Allegiant Regent?

They rhyme to my ear...but there might be something else I'm missing.
I'd say no. A regent acts when there is not a monarch. Granted, you can have a queen or prince regent, but they aren't necessarily faithful (think Cersei from GoT). Additionally, there is no such thing as a king regent as anyone with the title King is, de jure, a King.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Finally thought of quid pro quo with about four seconds left. I'll count it at home knowing I'd not have had time to scribble it in light pen.

LT: Warm Springs, Wilco

Judges: on the mezuzah clue (Deut $1K), would "door" count?
In and out of the pool four times
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Funny I was thinking about Liberty University lately (Natalie's school). Since the students can now hold hands on campus, are they going back to their old policies? They were practicing social distancing before it was cool :). What are they doing about the nasty evidence of evolution vis a vis the COVID-19 mutations that made it transmissible to humans? (disclaimer - I am aware of the legit steet cred for the academic programs). I was glad to see Natalie get the three Deuteronomy questions, a couple of which were too theological imho.

FJ was instaget, and a good clue for the college players. I probably wouldn't have gotten this question as an underclassman. No time for political crap, if it didn't affect me, I didn't pay attention to it. Watergate droned on and on and all that made it to the surface was the profanity and the 18 minute gap.

Tyler is going to make finals.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

I don’t know how that date was supposed to lead to the answer. I was trying to think of some kind of politically related three word phrase and came up blank. I’ve known what that phrase meant forever so someone saying it would stick out to me as much as someone saying the word “elevator.”
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I pounced on "Quid pro quo" so fast that I hit the 30 second skip button, and the camera was still focused on Natalie, and nowhere near the BOM BOM of the Think! music. Hope she's safe at home.

I also went with the more complex Pentateuch instead of Torah. Wikipedia has "Pentateuch" in the the second sentence of the article on the Torah as a virtual synonym, and when I tried to search for "Pentateuch", I got redirected to the page on Torah. Unless for some reason someone tells me that the Pentateuch isn't a tome/book but the Torah is, I'm counting it. In fact, I've always thought of the "Torah" as a scroll, not as a book or tome, but that's splitting hairs.

So close to hitting the button of glory this week. Just had to think of the Panama Canal as a ditch, and know the approximate year of its opening. Should be a good final. I was impressed with Tyler, but not getting a FJ! right seemed to me to be fairly easy (especially considering this was taped at what feels like about 20 years ago) is a warning sign. Then again, it's always easy when you know it, and others here seemed to at least take some time. And I agree about college kids living in the bubble, and not necessarily being as connected to the outside political world. I don't remember Clinton's impeachment at all other than vague memories of the phrase "special counsel Kenneth Star". Or Starr?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:22 am Natalie was a remind-alike for oldest daughter character Taylor Otto on American Housewife.
I said Shannen Doherty.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:22 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 pm Here's one for the judges:
A faithful king, queen or prince
Allegiant Regent?

They rhyme to my ear...but there might be something else I'm missing.
I'd say no. A regent acts when there is not a monarch. Granted, you can have a queen or prince regent, but they aren't necessarily faithful (think Cersei from GoT). Additionally, there is no such thing as a king regent as anyone with the title King is, de jure, a King.
Well, you can have unfaithful royals too, so in a vacuum, allegiant works. But the king part sounds like it puts the kibosh on regent. Glad I stayed clam then.

This is more what I was looking for, Mark :lol: I should've gone with something like "Assume the words rhyme already, even if you think they don't. Focus on definitions and wording instead" but you know how it is. The better comeback always comes hours after it's useful...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Wow...I have so much to say about this quarterfinals, but let's start with the elephant in the room. The upperclassmen finished strong over the course of the last two games. These semifinal matchups will be HUGE!!! Looking at the list, we're seeing 1 senior, 1 junior, 1 freshman, and 6 (Yes! It's not a lie!) sophomores. Not only that, but Nibir, in Golden Gopher fashion, secures the final wildcard spot. Two Big 10 schools get into the semifinals in the same match, and now, all the pieces are in place. 3 Big 10 schools, 1 Pac-12, 1 Big 12, 1 Ivy League, 2 SEC, and 1 Liberal Arts(?) college.

Given all things considered, this could go either way. I can't wait to see how it'll finish up on.

As for who is the favorite of the 9, I'm not sure. Everybody played pretty well, everybody showed that they're hungry, and at the end of the day, it's all about who becomes the top player of the group. Semifinals, here we come!
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:43 pm

I also went with the more complex Pentateuch instead of Torah. Wikipedia has "Pentateuch" in the the second sentence of the article on the Torah as a virtual synonym, and when I tried to search for "Pentateuch", I got redirected to the page on Torah. Unless for some reason someone tells me that the Pentateuch isn't a tome/book but the Torah is, I'm counting it. In fact, I've always thought of the "Torah" as a scroll, not as a book or tome, but that's splitting hairs.
I would have said that "Pentateuch" is the Christian term, but references like this one, FN13 in the Wiki entry-
The World and the Word: An Introduction to the Old Testament, ed. Eugene H. Merrill, Mark Rooker, Michael A. Grisanti, 2011, p, 163: "Part 4 The Pentateuch by Michael A. Grisanti: The Term 'Pentateuch' derives from the Greek pentateuchos, literally, ... The Greek term was apparently popularized by the Hellenized Jews of Alexandria, Egypt, in the first century AD..."
and this-
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/artic ... pentateuch
and this, a course listing at Yeshiva University-
1083; 1084; 1085; 1086 Topics in Biblical Exegesis 3 credits
Selected biblical texts, primarily from the Pentateuch, examined in light of classical and modern Jewish commentaries

are convincing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

reddpen wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:28 pm
Judges: on the mezuzah clue (Deut $1K), would "door" count?
Technically, no, since it goes on the jamb, but I think they'd give it to you. At worst, they might have BMSed you, and the only logical way to go there would be 'doorway', and that works. I recently watched "Unorthodox", and learned that the Orthodox (or maybe just Ultra-Orthodox, since that's what the series was about) kiss the mezuzah every time they enter a room (since there is one for each room). Less religious Jews usually just have one on the font door instead.

And I'd take Pentateuch.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:12 pm Nothing came to me on FJ, couldn’t remember what happened on 9/25.
IMO the date was not the thing to focus on, as so much happens that it's hard to remember exactly what happened exactly when.

The key here was "3-word Latin phrase." Not that very long ago (last summer and fall) that phrase was in every newspaper story about the president and on the lips of every newscaster, every politician being interviewed, everyone sitting at the dinner table discussing politics. It's a phrase that, up until then, was fairly well known to nerds (Raise our Banners High!) and (like most Latin) not so much to anyone else.

So it's no surprise that when the phrase first came up in connection with Trump's phone call to Ukraine, BUNCHES of people thought, "If I've ever heard that phrase, I'm not sure what it means, exactly." So it was no surprise to me to think that lots and lots and lots of people googled it who had never done so before.

I had this written down before AT was finished reading the clue. I'm betting it polls quite high on this board, and it's a bit surprising it wasn't a triple-get for a group this bright (as they all showed themselves to be).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think this didn't click for me because I've seen the phrase "quid pro quo" in so many other contexts and have known its meaning since I was in high school.

My joke answer was "quando omni flunkus, moritati", by the way. I'm a man, but I can change if I have to, I guess.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:22 am
talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:43 pm

I would have said that "Pentateuch" is the Christian term, but references like this one, FN13 in the Wiki entry-
The World and the Word: An Introduction to the Old Testament, ed. Eugene H. Merrill, Mark Rooker, Michael A. Grisanti, 2011, p, 163: "Part 4 The Pentateuch by Michael A. Grisanti: The Term 'Pentateuch' derives from the Greek pentateuchos, literally, ... The Greek term was apparently popularized by the Hellenized Jews of Alexandria, Egypt, in the first century AD..."
and this-
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/artic ... pentateuch
and this, a course listing at Yeshiva University-
1083; 1084; 1085; 1086 Topics in Biblical Exegesis 3 credits
Selected biblical texts, primarily from the Pentateuch, examined in light of classical and modern Jewish commentaries

are convincing.
Cool angle - I'd never thought of the word "Jewish" in the clue as being a potential key word. I definitely think of "Torah" as being (probably almost exclusively?) Jewish, with "Pentateuch" being more generic and applicable to Christians and Jews.

Either way, they both point to the first five books, and they both should be acceptable....although "Pentateuch" may give an opportunity for a double-get if Alex isn't on the ball in terms of giving the alternate response its due credit.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (My only miss was Wilco though I have heard of them.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Warm Springs, (Beacon Hill)
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:29 amI recently watched "Unorthodox", and learned that the Orthodox (or maybe just Ultra-Orthodox, since that's what the series was about) kiss the mezuzah every time they enter a room (since there is one for each room). Less religious Jews usually just have one on the font door instead.
The office where I started working at the beginning of the year* has a mezuzah on every doorway, but I've never seen the company president kiss one, so I guess he's in the observance sweet spot.

*And stopped working there as of Friday, March 13 (in favor of working from home).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

NYCScribbler wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:15 pm Insta-get on FJ.

Natalie spent most of DJ looking so lost that I might have felt bad for her.
Natalie spent most of the game looking over at the audience. I thought TPTB expressly forbade glancing in that direction. I was starting to think they cut her buzzer in DJ because of it

+1 Pentateuch

+1 Watching Unorthodox rn
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:25 pm
Natalie spent most of the game looking over at the audience. I thought TPTB expressly forbade glancing in that direction.
They do. Don't know what that was about, but it started to get annoying.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump to make the thread easy to find.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:27 pm
Alexander the Great = Macedonia is a match I'm pretty sure I've never had to make before.
I've always heard AtG's father referred to as Philip of Macedon, not Macedonia, so that's what I answered. Judges?

Macedonia is the name of the modern-day country, not that one.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

John Boy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:12 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:27 pm
Alexander the Great = Macedonia is a match I'm pretty sure I've never had to make before.
I've always heard AtG's father referred to as Philip of Macedon, not Macedonia, so that's what I answered. Judges?

Macedonia is the name of the modern-day country, not that one.
North Macedonia now, as of February 2019.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.