Monday, March 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Monday, March 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
bpmod wrote:...Since when is 32 cousins a lot? Especially when counting both sides?...
Brian
Well, to me, with zero first cousins, it sounds like a lot.
I'm pretty sure "first" is redundant there. All levels/ removals generate from your first cousins. (I think!)
Edited pre-posting to add: actually, no. If you are the only child at that generational level in the tree, it works.
Your edit is correct: You can have several thousand second cousins without having a first cousin. Your first-cousins are based (somewhat) on your parents' siblings. Your second-cousins on your grandparents', your third- on your great-grandparents' and so on. Also when we talk about cousins being on the two 'sides' of the family, second-cousins are on four 'sides', third-cousins on eight sides, etc.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:And 2/3 of a mile? That might be a far swim (I don't swim much), but as a walk, it's not even worth mentioning.
That's a pretty good swim. Come the summer, I do a 3/4-mile to 1-mile swim a few times a week. It's a good workout.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

bpmod wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I'm actually one of about 56 cousins. Is that enough for you?
I'm sure it would be. But I have always found that upon mentioning my 75 first cousins, people generally react with "is that all?"

So, I've had to resort to mentioning the span between my oldest and youngest first cousins' ages, because I think that is impressive. My oldest first cousin is 70. My youngest first cousin is 32. It is only fair to mention, though, that they are on opposite sides of my family. However, my youngest cousin on the same side as my oldest cousin is 35 (so, first cousins to each other 35 years apart).
OrangeSAM wrote:Well, to me, with zero first cousins, it sounds like a lot.
Wow! I'd say that that would be (for me at least) a culture shock of sorts.

Brian

That is impressive! I have 53 on my Dad's side & 2 on my Mom's. As a side note, my second cousin was the reporter murdered in Syria last month...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My mother was an only child so I don't have any first cousins on that side. I have six first cousins on my dad's side. but one of them I've never even met. another I've seen once or twice and probably been around the others fewer than ten times in my life.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote:
bpmod wrote:And 2/3 of a mile? That might be a far swim (I don't swim much), but as a walk, it's not even worth mentioning.
That's a pretty good swim. Come the summer, I do a 3/4-mile to 1-mile swim a few times a week. It's a good workout.
Walking that far to the credit union seems like an eternity to me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bumpifying to let the archivists know there's some code garbage at the top of the Archive page for this show:

Code: Select all

Warning: number_format() expects parameter 1 to be double, string given in /home/robertks/public_html/showgame.php on line 96

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/robertks/public_html/showgame.php:96) in /home/robertks/public_html/j-archive_com.php on line 292
(Also, I'm surprised the March 2 game STILL isn't done being archived.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:(Also, I'm surprised the March 2 game STILL isn't done being archived.)
Thanks for the error report. As to the unfinished game, keep in mind that we are volunteers here, and other things take priority in our lives other than J! (strange fact, but true.) I am the one responsible for completing that episode, and I shall get around to ti, it is definitely on my to-do list, but it probably won't be today (as it's my birthday), and family has stuff going the rest of the week. Perhaps the weekend will work out, but, again, since I'm just a volunteer ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:(Also, I'm surprised the March 2 game STILL isn't done being archived.)
Thanks for the error report. As to the unfinished game, keep in mind that we are volunteers here, and other things take priority in our lives other than J! (strange fact, but true.) I am the one responsible for completing that episode, and I shall get around to ti, it is definitely on my to-do list, but it probably won't be today (as it's my birthday), and family has stuff going the rest of the week. Perhaps the weekend will work out, but, again, since I'm just a volunteer ...
My comment wasn't meant to be a "DO IT NAO BOI *whip whip*", but rather a "Huh, that's odd, you don't usually see a half-done archive sitting for more than a week."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
Oh, yes. I caught that in an earlier post, but forgot already.

A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my fellow Archivist, Boardie & Canuck, dhkendall!!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Bumpifying to let the archivists know there's some code garbage at the top of the Archive page for this show:

Code: Select all

Warning: number_format() expects parameter 1 to be double, string given in /home/robertks/public_html/showgame.php on line 96

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/robertks/public_html/showgame.php:96) in /home/robertks/public_html/j-archive_com.php on line 292
(Also, I'm surprised the March 2 game STILL isn't done being archived.)
Actually, the former is a direct result of the latter.

Brian