Tuesday, April 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The cartographic feature from which this country gets its name passes near the town of Guayllabamba

Joe Coker: 13400-13400=0
Londyn Lorenz: 7000+7000=14000
Nibir Sarma: 22400+4401=26801 (Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ecuador (Joe – Argentina)

Daily Doubles
Nibir: 4400+4400
Nibir: 14200+3000
Nibir: 18400+1600

Coryats
Joe: 13400
Londyn: 7000
Nibir: 18000

Combined: 38,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Joe: 5400
Londyn: 2200
Nibir: 9800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The award for the best sign-in of the day goes to:
Spoiler
Nibir was 3/3 on the DDs though the bets left him shy of the lock.

Nibir led 18400 to 12600 to 6200 when he found DD3 at clue 20. He bet $1600 in the 1600 box of GARDEN SPOTS.

All of it turned out not to matter as Joe did not know the FJ! clue.

The FJ! clue came to me quickly as "cartographic feature... passes" was enough for me to sniff out the feature and from there it would be sad if I could not figure out the country. Ouch if someone got the feature but instead picked a certain place in Africa.

Nibir's game improvement did not surprise me much as:
1. He was not playing Tyler this time.
2. His Reddit activity since Friday has been...enthusiastic.

Londyn's lack of success was not surprising as Joe & Nibir are a step up from Alistair & Kylie from the QF round.

Now it's up to Xiaoke tomorrow to keep this from being an all guys final.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:35 am The FJ! clue came to me quickly as "cartographic feature... passes" was enough for me to sniff out the feature and from there it would be sad if I could not figure out the country. Ouch if someone got the feature but instead picked a certain place in Africa.
My initial thought is that African county is so small and unheard of to the masses, that if those that know about it probably know it does not lie on the same named cartographic feature. Might be an interesting poll request, to see the percentage that have heard of the country but thought it did lie on the feature. And then it's capital's geographic location is odd as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6602

8 TS up for grabs though only one in the J! round. That J! round TS clue had me laughing as my cabbie friend uses it in the slang definition.

CONGRATULATIONS, GRADUATES! $200: Now to deal with that $200,000 in student loans! Here's a ticket from this lottery held across 45 states! Good luck

One correct response was named, but there is another acceptable one as far as my research shows.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (You can probably guess which one I missed.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Brownout, Fiat, Pagan, John Quincey Adams, Composed Them Himself, Titanic, Coral Gables, London
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 pm 59 R (You can probably guess which one I missed.)
My guess is the Wakandan metal.

If that is wrong then my other choices would be the video game with redstone & creepers or the multi-state lottery.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:19 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 pm 59 R (You can probably guess which one I missed.)
My guess is the Wakandan metal.

If that is wrong then my other choices would be the video game with redstone & creepers or the multi-state lottery.
Nope. It was Sydney Crosby. Couldn't think of the last name.
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:35 am The FJ! clue came to me quickly as "cartographic feature... passes" was enough for me to sniff out the feature and from there it would be sad if I could not figure out the country. Ouch if someone got the feature but instead picked a certain place in Africa.
My initial thought is that African county is so small and unheard of to the masses, that if those that know about it probably know it does not lie on the same named cartographic feature. Might be an interesting poll request, to see the percentage that have heard of the country but thought it did lie on the feature. And then it's capital's geographic location is odd as well.
I was aware of the country long before I learned it did not lie on the equator.

A quick get for me on FJ. Too bad one player wasn’t able to get money for saying her name.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm CONGRATULATIONS, GRADUATES! $200: Now to deal with that $200,000 in student loans! Here's a ticket from this lottery held across 45 states! Good luck

One correct response was named, but there is another acceptable one as far as my research shows.
That's what I said, "Isn't that a coin flip?" From the "Lotteries in the United States" Wiki entry:
Two major lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball, are both offered in nearly all jurisdictions that operate lotteries, and serve as de facto national lotteries.
EDIT: And after checking the two individually, both are in 45 states.
bmitchelf

Post by bmitchelf »

Response to the Star Wars clue: Episode V. Judges? I'm guessing "be more specific."
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

bmitchelf wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:43 pm Response to the Star Wars clue: Episode V. Judges? I'm guessing "be more specific."
It is correct and narrows it down to only one film. I see no need for BMS.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $49,200 (55R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

College tourney has me expecting to get 50+ right every night. When the regular episodes are back on, it'll be a cold dose of reality... :lol:

My odd path to the FJ solve... town that ends in 'bamba'... I know Riobamba is in Ecuador... Ecuador fits the rest of the clue!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

bmitchelf wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:43 pm Response to the Star Wars clue: Episode V. Judges? I'm guessing "be more specific."
I'd say BMS if Alex knows his Star Wars and has the presence of mind not to neg it - and he probably does. Worst case, judges would refund your money (or even give you full credit) because it should have been a BMS.

Judges: "Tom Sawyer" for "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say the whole title when referring to the book - other than on a game show. A BMS - like saying "Les Miz" when they want "Les Miserables"? I'm not 100% sure I'd get the title in the 3-4 seconds if asked for a BMS.

No extra credit for me for giving the answer "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone", but I assume the alternate was written on Alex's game sheet if it was researched well.

I precalled "unobtanium" for FANTASTICAL SUBSTANCES...but only as "that MacGuffin that was in Avatar". I was hoping they'd give the substance and I'd have to name the movie - no such luck. Even spotted "un", I blanked.

I also got as far as "that dance with the castanets - the one that's in the red dress emoji", but couldn't pull flamenco in time. I'm getting slow in my old age.

For FJ!, I totally whiffed on the phrase "cartographical feature", and went for the more generic "geographical feature". Uhh...uhhh....uhhh...country named after something geographic, and sounds Spanish. Yeah, let's go with Costa Rica. Oh well, I'm only 700 miles away from the geographic feature they wanted. I felt this was significantly harder than any of the other FJ!s in this tourney, but...it's hard when you get it wrong.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I was hoping for a showoff to give the original British title of the first Harry Potter book :ugeek:
Spoiler
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
:
:D :D :D on DDs
Took a couple seconds for Ecuador. Fortunately, the certain African country wasn't on the radar. :mrgreen:
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Based on the wording of the clue, Equatorial Guinea would have to be accepted. Nowhere does it say that the cartographic feature or that particular town are located within the country in question, nor that the entirety of the country's name comes from said feature.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Judges: "Tom Sawyer" for "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say the whole title when referring to the book - other than on a game show. A BMS - like saying "Les Miz" when they want "Les Miserables"? I'm not 100% sure I'd get the title in the 3-4 seconds if asked for a BMS.

No question they accept "Tom Sawyer." It's like "Alice in Wonderland," a widely accepted short title.

Another poster got FJ from -bamba, I got it from Guay-, since I thought of Guayaquil, the largest city in Ecuador. I might have struggled otherwise, cause I too conflated "cartographic" and geographic," at first...
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:25 pm
Based on the wording of the clue, Equatorial Guinea would have to be accepted. Nowhere does it say that the cartographic feature or that particular town are located within the country in question, nor that the entirety of the country's name comes from said feature.
I didn't believe you when I first read your comment, but examining the clue again, you're absolutely right. Equatoreal Guinea should be accepted.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

7/7 on final for the tournament. Will I make it to 10??

I blanked on flamenco, couldn’t pull lute and “composed them himself” was too convoluted for me to get tonight

Interesting to see the college students miss the one college/university clue (coral gables)- I didn’t get it, but figured one of them would

Just a hunch, but I think Londyn hearts Justin Bieber