Wednesday, April 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Midwest city is the burial place of one 19th century President & was named for a relative of another

Nathaniel Miller: 11800-10800=1000
Marshall Comeaux: 12200-11401=799
Xiaoke Ying: 10200-2000=8200 (Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cleveland, Ohio (Nathaniel – Lincoln) (Marshall – Lincoln, Nebraska) (Xiaoke – Lincoln)

Daily Doubles
Nathaniel: 5600-800
Marshall: 5000+5000
Marshall: 12400-3000

Coryats
Nathaniel: 12600
Marshall: 12200
Xiaoke: 10200

Combined: 35,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Nathaniel: 5800
Marshall: 3400
Xiaoke: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ha! Clue one of the game brought up the country that was up for discussion from yesterday's FJ! clue.

Right, Alex, you had no idea the topic you picked for Nathaniel's chat discussion would shortly come up as a clue.

Babe Ruth is rumored to have some "brother" in him, but breaking the color barrier? That was setting up a rebound.

Nathaniel cost himself many ways to have led for the FJ! round which Marshall snagged just as the buzzer sounded with 3 clues left for the first non-61-clue game this tourney. 11800-11800-10200 may or may not have produced the same result depending on either guy blinking.

As is, Xiaoke was in the best place to be for no question, no argument, don't even try it, the most difficult clue of these two weeks. Nathaniel had to cover Xiaoke's possible 20400 on paper while his winning strategy today would have been to figure he loses on an easy clue and can only win on a tough clue. With that thinking then Nathaniel could have bet 401 - 1599 as much as many would not be happy about it.

If Nathaniel would have led and Marshall was in second only Marshall can say if he would have bet big the same way Nathaniel did or if he may have gone a different way.

Xiaoke trailed after the first segment, at the end of the J! round and DJ! rounds, and when each DD was found. That's okay as leading after the FJ! round is better.

A miss for me on the FJ! clue as I almost matched the players, but crossed that out and wrote Springfield since that is where the trap was buried.

The correct city is Midwest although in my West Coast mind I think of it as East since sporting games are three hours away. My approach to the clue of trying to pick the right city and working from there was the wrong way to go. Instead I should have just quickly run 19th c. presidents to look for an appropriate hit.

Put that clue in F1 (or even F2), not in S3.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Lots of negbait available on today's Final.... Madison, Lincoln, Jefferson City....

I had the right state immediately but didn't spend enough time thinking about cities in it before my mind wandered to other options. The worst kind of miss: very gettable, was on the right track, but nope.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:41 am Lots of negbait available on today's Final.... Madison, Lincoln, Jefferson City....
That isn't negbait, because those cities are named for the presidents themselves. You guess those, you're just guessing wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6603

6 TS and 10W, not including the FJ! round, plus three clues not seen thanks to errors, board hopping, and 7 clues with some kind of media element
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats for the finalists:
Spoiler

Tyler Combs
Coryat average: 21,00 (27000+15000)
FJs: 1/2
DDs: 3/3 (+8800)
Clues right: 46 (29+17)
Position entering the FJ! round: Lock + 2nd

Nibir Sarma
Coryat average: 15,100 (12200+18000)
FJs: 2/2
DDs: 3/4 (+6500)
Clues right: 37 (16+21)
Position: 3rd+1st

Xiaoke Ying
Coryat average: 8300 (6400+10200)
FJs: 1/2
DDs: 0/0
Clues right: 22 (10+12)
Position: 3rd+3rd

Comments: Nibir improved over his QF game while Tyler had a big dip. Tyler handily outplayed Nibir head to head in their QF game. Xiaoke has yet to find a DD and will have played just about all of the tourney's top players.

Tyler appears to be a clear favorite though like race horses, J! contestants don't always run according to the form.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:00 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:41 am Lots of negbait available on today's Final.... Madison, Lincoln, Jefferson City....
That isn't negbait, because those cities are named for the presidents themselves. You guess those, you're just guessing wrong.
Nothing is negbait if you know all the relevant facts....
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

There are many nice things about being an adult. One of the nicest is not being expected to know dumb crap like presidential burial cities.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I matched Mark in going with Springfield. I spent too much time trying to figure out what the clue was saying. Running through the presidents might have been a better course of action but it would take a while to get to Cleveland.

I guess Xiaoke isn’t a big baseball fan. :roll:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Sorry, but if you're in the Eastern time zone, you're not in the Midwest. Horrible FJ. Matched the contestants. :x
:D :( :D on DDs. Could not pull T.S. Eliot.
Got the lead clue from the symbol, but what was the rest of the noise in the clue about? :?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprised myself by running Non-American History.

The Rockies go all the way to Alaska? I never would have guessed.

"Two roads diverged..." = Frost is a match that keeps refusing to stick in my head.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: actinium
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Cleveland is the Mid West?! :shock:

I immediately flashed back to this FJ when Legend of Zelda came up: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ight=zelda . You'd think the writers would learn at a certain point about this ... very few people use "Legend of " for the series. At least the FJ in question was specifically about the name of the first game itself.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:33 pm Sorry, but if you're in the Eastern time zone, you're not in the Midwest.
Michigan and Indiana would beg to differ....
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

As a Clevelander, I knew Garfield is buried here. Today is the first time I found out Moses Cleaveland and Grover Cleveland were “related”. Third cousin 3x removed is kind of a stretch...
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

MitchO wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:44 pm Cleveland is the Mid West?! :shock:
The west side is anyway, at least culturally and topographically speaking. The east side feels more like western PA or NY.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Relevant: 538: Which States Are in the Midwest?

Trying presidents led me straight to Lincoln, but I dismissed that based on figuring it's named for Abraham (correct) and not thinking of Nebraska as Midwest (eh...). Fortunately trying Midwest cities landed on Cleveland right away.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I still think Panama Canal was more difficult, but I'm biased, since I lived in Cleveland for 3 years in elementary/middle school, and even had a unit in our history class about "Ohio history". I'd NHO Moses Cleaveland, but I knew Ohio is chock full of dead presidents, and logic would dictate that at least one would be buried in Cleveland. I briefly touched on Jefferson City from my rememorizing-state-capitals jaunt, and didn't go as far as Lincoln because to me, that's too far west to be midwest. (Cleveland is NOT too far east to be considered the midwest, although my third grade teacher in Boston insisted that it was in the Central Time Zone.) I actually went by the names of 19th century presidents, not by "big cities in the midwest", and going backwards sure helped. I did get the FJ! right, but it was more of a Hail Mary guess. Definitely the second hardest FJ! in the tourney so far, IMO.

Babe Ruth? Baseball is too agonizingly slow for me to watch without some form of potent potable, but...c'mon.

Judges were mean on the "Z" clue to the guy with the "Y". You could reasonably call it the Zelda franchise, since AFAIK the franchise doesn't have an official name, and the clue didn't specifically ask for the first game in the series. Granted, Wikipedia refers to it as "The Legend of Zelda franchise", but it's not like there's another Zelda franchise out there, so it's not like he was hedging his bet. But I guess he should have spit out the whole title, even if the best video game ever is a little before his time. Nathaniel also picked up some dysentery along the...Arizona trail.

I am apparently never going to learn to stop answering "ibex" to any goat- or sheep-related clue.

Mistook Halsey for P!nk in the picture, and it's not the first time I've done that. If I'd read the clue beyond "one-named" to get to "Graveyard", I would have had the sense to clam.

Another brain fart: "head in the oven" for Sylvia Plath - so close!

I had no idea that Peter Capaldi and Lewis Capaldi were related...but it's second cousin once removed. Seems like they should be more than one generation apart, but what do I know?
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

People are piling on Xiaoke for Babe Ruth, and I'll admit that my husband and I pulled a gold medal performance in synchronized facepalming at that one, but I thought Nathaniel on the "Arizona Trail" was just as bad (we just didn't quite sync the facepalms there).

Can we get "fir" as a wrong answer for the three-letter evergreen on the poll? And P!nk for Halsey?

NHO on FJ. Knew Lincoln wasn't it, but that was about it; would have said "Joplin" just to say something.

Judges: would "addle-pated" for "addled" be acceptable?
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH