Thursday, April 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE’S PLAYS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An account of a deposed Duke of Genoa in a 1549 "History of Italy" is a presumed source for this play

Tyler Combs: 5200-5000=200
Nibir Sarma: 25200-3005=22195
Xiaoke Ying: 8800-8000=800

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Tempest (Tyler – Coriolanus) (Nibir – Twelfth Night) (Xiaoke – Othello)

Daily Doubles
Nibir: 1000-1000
Tyler: 5600-2400
Nibir: 8000+8000

Coryats
Tyler: 7600
Nibir: 19400
Xiaoke: 8800

Combined: 35,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tyler: 4400
Nibir: 6400
Xiaoke: 3200

Edited to adjust for the score reversal.
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Watching Millionaire last night helped me get a clue in MOVIE COMEDIES today that I would not have got otherwise.

Nibir should have been busted immediately on botching the Train title and given Tyler & Xiaoke the chance for the rebound.

Too close to call and I'm looking forward to seeing who can eke it out tomorrow. For 2nd place. Nibir has played too well this week to let a 21K+ lead get way. It would take some hard-to-find DD placements to give Tyler or Xiaoke a chance to close the gap before the FJ! round.

Like the students today I threw a dart at the Shakespeare board. Mine landed on The Merchant of Venice for a Genoa is Italy and Venice is Italy attempt. I'll guess over 12 plays I would have named before hitting upon the right one. morbeedo can enjoy his get since that is his wheelhouse.

Nice work by Nibir to run away with this game, not match.

After getting the Tuesday FJ! clue correct I told myself I was guaranteed at least 70% for the tourney. That didn't mean I wanted to finish there. Grrr!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's finished: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6604

Eh, what's 6W by Nibir when so many (28) were correct?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I guess the key here was knowing that Prospero was a deposed Duke. That's a deep cut, congrats to anyone who pulls it.

Fun fact: The words Caliban, Caribbean, and cannibal are all etymologically related, stemming from legends of a fierce tribe said to inhabit the area.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:01 pm I guess the key here was knowing that Prospero was a deposed Duke. That's a deep cut, congrats to anyone who pulls it.
Especially if you knew he was a deposed Duke of Milan. Still, the only straw to grasp onto here, if you knew it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:01 pm I guess the key here was knowing that Prospero was a deposed Duke. That's a deep cut, congrats to anyone who pulls it.
I don't know if it's too deep; Tempest is easily in the top five performed Shakespeare plays and the whole plot hinges on ex-duke-turned-wizard Prospero having been deposed and ending up founding his own little magical dukedom on the island where the title storm shipwrecks the characters who incite the rest of the events. Spoiler alert, at the end of the play amends are made and Prospero's title and lands are reinstated.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DD2 threw me off with the "16th century" bit. I would have guessed Galileo if not for that, but went with Machiavelli because I think of Galileo as a 17th-century guy (most of his biggest contributions were between about 1604 and 1635). Grr. :evil:

Not that Machiavelli was a physicist anyway...

Redeemed myself on FJ with the instaget.
Last edited by mas3cf on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D on DDs.
:( Guessed Romeo & Juliet for FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Put down Macbeth even though I know he was Scottish.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Put me in the "Merchant of Venice" group, with a brief mental sidetrack on "Taming of the Shrew".

It feels like there have been a lot of DDs in the $2000 row this week.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:27 am
Like the students today I threw a dart at the Shakespeare board. Mine landed on The Merchant of Venice for a Genoa is Italy and Venice is Italy attempt. I'll guess over 12 plays I would have named before hitting upon the right one. morbeedo can enjoy his get since that is his wheelhouse.
Nope! I’m wildly inconsistent on Shakespeare. I eliminated Othello off the bat, considered “As you like it” then landed on “merchant of Venice” with no confidence at all. This is one of those finals (like last night) where I should really pause and take as much time as I need to see if I can get there.

Apart from Xiaoke’s thumbs up, I’m completely lost on the weird gestures these kids are making during the intro.

Alps? Can’t be. But what else fits? Alps. Doh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Unannounced pre-emption. Anyone got a copy? Opus?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm in the Othello crowd along with Xiaoke - wrong side of Northern Italy, with Venice vs Genoa. Oops. Still, I can't hate my guess completely. I remember reading The Tempest in high school, but it was rushed at the end of the year, and didn't stick in my head like the tragedies. I think I wanted to see the Helen Mirren film where she was cast as Prospera, but I never got around to it. Seems more recent than 10 years ago, but all time is meaningless now.

I called the "Soul Sister" correction, but in a sense, having "Hey" in the clue makes it slightly excusable.

I can't hear "See (not take) a penny pick it up" without remembering the pivotal scene in a movie....

I would have had a "moment" on J! if I'd been there by saying "diarrhea" instead of "food poisoning". I think BMSing might have gotten me to say "diarrhea and vomiting?"

Mill-a Kewnis? Is that right? I thought it was me-lah koo-nis, but I know Alex is usually on point with respect to his pronunciation.

Couldn't pull "Booksmart" even thought I knew the movie had had the recent WWTBAM exposure. One of those titles like "Something's Gotta Give" that I can rarely pull.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I was surprised Nibir was given a BMS opportunity on "desert"-->"high desert" when the category was "H.D."
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

K8RX is a real ham radio call-sign, belonging to Neil Dorfman of West Bloomfield, Michigan.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 pm
Apart from Xiaoke’s thumbs up, I’m completely lost on the weird gestures these kids are making during the intro.
Nibir was making an M for Minnesota, and Tyler was making an I and U for Indiana University.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 pmI think I wanted to see the Helen Mirren film where she was cast as Prospera, but I never got around to it. Seems more recent than 10 years ago, but all time is meaningless now.
It's decent. Saw it back in January and definitely was the reason I insta got this FJ

I think Nice qualifies as negbait. "A sweet sight to sailors," leads you to Nice if you don't know how large the cities are. Doesn't exactly lead you to 'Marseille'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I had The Merchant of Venice for FJ.
It's the end of the journey that counts.