Thursday, April 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mungar
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, April 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mungar »

Limited knowledge of Shakespeare got me there. Could only think of 4 plays related to Italy, and could rule out the other 3 (Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice, Two Gentleman of Verona), so settled on The Tempest.

I'm sure he has a ton more in Italy but, oh well, I'll take the FJ get however I find my way there.

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Peachbox wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Apart from Xiaoke’s thumbs up, I’m completely lost on the weird gestures these kids are making during the intro.
Nibir was making an M for Minnesota, and Tyler was making an I and U for Indiana University.
This reminds me of a pet peeve: wedding emcees who expect you to gesticulate all four letters in "YMCA". If you watch the Village People video, you'll see that though they throw their arms up into a Y, they're just clapping for the rest of the title. Spelling out the whole thing is just so, um, you know.
Volante wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:51 pm

I think Nice qualifies as negbait. "A sweet sight to sailors," leads you to Nice if you don't know how large the cities are. Doesn't exactly lead you to 'Marseille'
Well, if you pronounce "Nice" like the English word. I don't think so otherwise. It's true though that my own provincial viewpoint associates Marseilles mainly with gangsters, smugglers, and spies.

As for FJ, I'm not ready to talk about it. I'll say only that I figured for the finals, they might expand the canon somewhat.
I'm smart and I want respect.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:18 pm
K8RX is a real ham radio call-sign, belonging to Neil Dorfman of West Bloomfield, Michigan.
Neil Dorfman of West Bloomfield, Michigan, is the father of the late Steven Dorfman, a J! writer.

MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Oh man...this game served as a giant wake-up call to be certain.

Nibir was not fooled at all, especially with having to face the same person he faced in the quarterfinals (And was the victim to a runaway game). I don't think he wanted to face the same humiliation he suffered in the quarterfinals. Whatever he did to change his approach from his quarterfinal match is really working for him. Not only that, the combination of Tyler's DD miss and Nibir getting his correct basically was more of a "Giving a taste of your own medicine" kind of ordeal. Now Tyler knows what Nibir had to deal with in the quarterfinal match after giving him a rough beating.

Surprisingly, I thought Tyler would have made some magic again by dominating in the DJ! round, just like how he did in his two matches. Guess the third time's NOT the charm. Instead, it was Nibir that just destroyed this game and basically made this a long uphill battle for both Xiaoke and Tyler.

What a difference one match makes.

Now, I've heard so many of Shakespeare's plays that have been on FJ!, but I don't think I have heard of Coriolanus as one of his plays. Someone fill me in on this?

But likewise, I agree with MarkBarrett's assessment on this, if Nibir were to somehow blow this $21,000+ lead, that would be a travesty. It's going to have to come down with Tyler or Xiaoke getting hot on the buzzer and hoping that in some way, Nibir struggles. We'll just have to wait and find out what happens tomorrow.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

trainman wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:50 am
floridagator wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:18 pm
K8RX is a real ham radio call-sign, belonging to Neil Dorfman of West Bloomfield, Michigan.
Neil Dorfman of West Bloomfield, Michigan, is the father of the late Steven Dorfman, a J! writer.
Is he a pharmacist?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:47 pm
:D :D :D on DDs.
:( Guessed Romeo & Juliet for FJ.
I'm guessing you're in the minority if you knew the OTHER 4-letter French mountain range. I sure as hell never heard of it. Everybody knows Alps but I figured that's way too easy for a bottom-row clue or for a DD. At least I was right about THAT.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

A week ago I watched Tyler's QF game and made him my favorite to win the tournament. In his SF game he made my prediction look golden. Last night, not so much. Man, Nibir owned the night, and all props to him. I still don't rule Tyler completely out, but....truly dominating performance by the man in the middle.

I cringed when I saw the FJ category, as Shakespeare is a so-so category for me. I wasn't very confident in my answer, but they count right or wrong only about what you write down, not how you feel about it, and my educated guess of The Tempest came through.

Looking forward to an exciting culmination Friday night.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

Peachbox wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Apart from Xiaoke’s thumbs up, I’m completely lost on the weird gestures these kids are making during the intro.
Nibir was making an M for Minnesota, and Tyler was making an I and U for Indiana University.
Ha! That seems so obvious, and yet obviously lost on me.

I've never worn a college sweatshirt in my life. I'm not big on team spirit

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 pm
I'm in the Othello crowd along with Xiaoke - wrong side of Northern Italy, with Venice vs Genoa.
I'm glad you mentioned this because I'd always assumed Othello was set in Spain because that's the country I associate with the Moors. I'll have to try to keep this fact filed away.

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:18 am
Now, I've heard so many of Shakespeare's plays that have been on FJ!, but I don't think I have heard of Coriolanus as one of his plays. Someone fill me in on this?
The archive had no hits for Coriolanus in FJ! (well, except for today's game, as the search engine does pick up wrong answers.) There's 20 results in the regular rounds, and a good number of them are bottom row clues that are basically "This play takes place in Corioli". There's also a smattering of wrong answers there, and a few other unrelated clues (ie "Who was in a 1979 film of "Coriolanus" and was also the male lead in Driving Miss Daisy?").

When I saw "Coriolanus" as a response in FJ!, I thought "No". The writers want people to play along at home. Except for actual ToCs or similar high-IQ events (ie GOAT, UToC), I can't see "Coriolanus" as being the right answer to a FJ! clue unless it's wordplay. Even knowing it based only on the plot (and not using the town name) is a bottom row clue for ToCs, so it's fairly obscure - other than the fact that "Shakespeare wrote it" and "it takes place in Corioli", there's not much meat there....although there is an odd clue that it's a five act play (as are all Shakespeare plays).

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Still haven't found this episode. Anyone?

Absolutely no guess on FJ! I could tell you literally nothing about The Tempest other than "written by Shakespeare". Seems like they use a different TOM literally every time it comes up and I've just never been able to connect the dots.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:19 am
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 pm
I'm in the Othello crowd along with Xiaoke - wrong side of Northern Italy, with Venice vs Genoa.
I'm glad you mentioned this because I'd always assumed Othello was set in Spain because that's the country I associate with the Moors. I'll have to try to keep this fact filed away.
Me too. On Xiaoke's reveal, I said, "No, that's Spain."

This might be a useful reference: https://folgerpedia.folger.edu/List_of_ ... %27s_plays

MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

talkingaway wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:32 am
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
The archive had no hits for Coriolanus in FJ! (well, except for today's game, as the search engine does pick up wrong answers.) There's 20 results in the regular rounds, and a good number of them are bottom row clues that are basically "This play takes place in Corioli". There's also a smattering of wrong answers there, and a few other unrelated clues (ie "Who was in a 1979 film of "Coriolanus" and was also the male lead in Driving Miss Daisy?").

When I saw "Coriolanus" as a response in FJ!, I thought "No". The writers want people to play along at home. Except for actual ToCs or similar high-IQ events (ie GOAT, UToC), I can't see "Coriolanus" as being the right answer to a FJ! clue unless it's wordplay. Even knowing it based only on the plot (and not using the town name) is a bottom row clue for ToCs, so it's fairly obscure - other than the fact that "Shakespeare wrote it" and "it takes place in Corioli", there's not much meat there....although there is an odd clue that it's a five act play (as are all Shakespeare plays).
And that's the thing too, Shakespeare's well-known to have a lot of common plays as answers in Jeopardy! clues, but some of his other plays are either forgotten, or rarely used. Turns out there's other plays from Shakespeare that seem to be considered forgotten or haven't been mentioned on Jeopardy!, like Cymbeline, The Two Noble Kinsmen, and Locrine (Not sure if that's technically true). There was a DD! clue from season 23 on Jared Cohen's 3rd game that he missed in regards to the category Groups, and it was on something that I haven't heard about; Shakespeare's Seven Stages of Man (Not sure what play that came from). Guess there's more to Shakespeare than what most people don't know about.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I remember being floored by "Coriolanus" being a top box once in regular play. That was one of the few times most people agreed with me that the value was way out of whack.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:

But likewise, I agree with MarkBarrett's assessment on this, if Nibir were to somehow blow this $21,000+ lead, that would be a travesty. It's going to have to come down with Tyler or Xiaoke getting hot on the buzzer and hoping that in some way, Nibir struggles. We'll just have to wait and find out what happens tomorrow.
I'm just more excited for the inevitable true daily doubles that will be coming from Tyler/Xiaoke. Gotta play to win the game!
Now swimming in the J! pool.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That was a very tough J! board. I got all but Discover in Traveling Abroad, but "Elf" was the only thing I recognized in Movie Comedies.

Ran Hobbies.

0/5 in Poetry for Physicists.

Opus, your take on the Bible clue for $800? I thought it was wide open.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Intolerable Acts), The Spy Who Dumped Me, (Jura), District Attorney, *Hey Soul Sister*, Chosen, Leave A Penny

Knew Booksmart thanks to this week's WWTBAM.

Knew "The Spy Who Dumped Me" because it is one of the movies that is on the shelf next to the TV, my Mom and sister love that movie.

Also knew Jigsaw Puzzle just from the name John Spilsbury. :ugeek:
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.6k games
Alpaca Farm: 1600 quizzes

davey

Post by davey »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:48 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:32 am
MTGcollegestudent wrote:

And that's the thing too, Shakespeare's well-known to have a lot of common plays as answers in Jeopardy! clues, but some of his other plays are either forgotten, or rarely used. Turns out there's other plays from Shakespeare that seem to be considered forgotten or haven't been mentioned on Jeopardy!, like Cymbeline, The Two Noble Kinsmen, and Locrine (Not sure if that's technically true). There was a DD! clue from season 23 on Jared Cohen's 3rd game that he missed in regards to the category Groups, and it was on something that I haven't heard about; Shakespeare's Seven Stages of Man (Not sure what play that came from). Guess there's more to Shakespeare than what most people don't know about.
If Locrine is forgotten, it's because it's not widely believed to be by Shakespeare. Neither Cymbeline nor Coriolanus is forgotten, they are produced frequently. The 7 Ages of Man is from a famous speech in As You like It, which also happens to be the only other plausible guess for this FJ clue, since it also contains a deposed Duke with a vaguely Italian name (Duke Senior). I figured they were going for the more dominant character.

da Doctah
Contributor

Post by da Doctah »

Could we have also accepted "legerdemain" instead of "sleight of hand"?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

da Doctah wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:13 pm
Could we have also accepted "legerdemain" instead of "sleight of hand"?
The clue was:
"If you want to be a magician, learn this skill in which an old word for "skill" precedes "of hand" "

So, no.