Tuesday, March 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:32 am

American Writers
A fellow author callied him "A very unique cat--a French Canadian Hinayana Buddhist beat Catholic savant".
Spoiler
Show
Who is Jack Kerouac? Ben had no guess.
David Gard: $16,800+$14,500=$31,300...now a 3-day champion with 69,900
Laura Whittle: $15,600+$9,400=$25,000
Ben Parks-Stamm: $7,200-$7,15=$6,485
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:26 pm

19/30, 15/30 for 34/60, which I believe is a record for regular play.

WNEM cut out the first segment for election coverage, but fortunately, WBKB (which as we all know, stands for We Barely Know Broadcasting) showed the right episode today, so I didn't miss a clue.

Except for Major Tom, the whole J! board felt super easy. J! would've been 23/30, but I got gun-shy on Jamaica and proving grounds, and was a tad slow on Lord of the Flies and Watson.

And yes, I did get $1,000 in Grammy Women. :D

0/5 in Quotes. All of those seemed opaque.

Derp moments in sea creatures — spotted "snaky" and couldn't pull out "sea serpent", nor could I think of any aquatic species having both a shell and a neck. I was stuck on clams and stuff.

And "blah blah blah equine name" in the sea creatures had no business being below $400.

Couldn't think of any authors at all. Is it well known that Kerouac's father was Canadian?
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:WNEM cut out the first segment for election coverage, but fortunately, WBKB (which as we all know, stands for We Barely Know Broadcasting) showed the right episode today, so I didn't miss a clue.
ABC News cut off the first 4 minutes, basically to tell us "Hi! The polls haven't closed, so we have nothing to tell you...blah blah...OK, cya in 30!". Grr.
Except for Major Tom, the whole J! board felt super easy. I got 19/30 — would've been 23, but I got gun-shy on Jamaica and proving grounds, and was a tad slow on Lord of the Flies and Watson.
Agreed. 24/30 here, wouldn't be surprised if there were a few 30/30s.
Couldn't think of any authors at all. Is it well known that Kerouac's father was Canadian?
It was more like, blahbhablahblah BEAT blahblakblah, name a Beat writer. Probably 75-90% of the time, Beat writer = Kerouac. Instaget here.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:31 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:It was more like, blahbhablahblah BEAT blahblakblah, name a Beatnik. Instaget here.
I once again got stuck halfway. I'm so good at that. Got to "beat" -> Beatnik, but couldn't think of anyone to put to that name. WHY can't I ever put two and two together? Did that yesterday too — had Hellenistic->Greek, but couldn't think of anything that wasn't Greece proper.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Also, I'd criticize Laura's wager, but I wasn't expecting her to make the proper wager in the first place.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:37 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:ABC News cut off the first 4 minutes, basically to tell us "Hi! The polls haven't closed, so we have nothing to tell you...blah blah...OK, cya in 30!". Grr.
They must be taking cues from WNEM.

But God forbid anyone take a cue from WBKB. Only network I know that can show the wrong episode of something FOUR TIMES in one week. I've seen YouTubers with better production quality than their news program.

One reason I like CBC so much. Last Thursday, they had Hockey Night, so which show got pre-empted? Coronation Street. J! got advanced to 7, and Wheel stayed in its normal spot at 4:30. (WNEM pre-empted both for an infomercial.)
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:40 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:snip

Maybe not, but Kerouac looks French, and really the most important word in the clue is "beat".
I was thinking "sea snake" which clearly didn't seem right (though they are very venomous) - I think the presence of the word "serpent" in the Mexican flag clue threw me off.
Isn't bicycle racing + movie pavlovian for Breaking Away? I guess not.

oops, beaten to the punch...

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Much better contestants than yesterday but that movie category was excruciating. Breaking Away was one of my fave movies for many years. I haven't seen the Carolla movie but the rest of the clue made it easy.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Spent 5 seconds coming up with, and confirming, Kerouac. Spent the next 25 praying nobody misspelled it to result in a controversy.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:00 pm

This board was easy and mostly well-written. I hated the quasi related pairs category, but everything else was all right.

I am hesitant to say it because it had a 2/3 get rate but I thought that the FJ clue was awful. I focused on the French-Canadian part and that didn't help, then about 20 seconds in I picked up on "beat" and picked the right author. I thought the clue was bad because 1) it was hard to know what the TOM was, and 2) because even if you did pick up on "beat," how did you know which beat author to pick? I am not sure I would expect the avaerage contestant to know the Buddhism connection. Luckily picking the most famous one worked.
Last edited by StevenH on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 pm

StevenH wrote:I thought the clue was bad because 1) it was hard to know what the TOM was, and 2) because even if you did pick up on "beat," how did you know which beat author to pick?
Or you do like me, pick up on "beat" halfway through and STILL CAN'T COME UP WITH A SINGLE DAMN NAME.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Gamawire will back me up on this- of all of the cities in Texas to put in a clue, they picked Kirby????? Kirby is a small, unimpressive (this is being generous) suburb of San Antonio that few people will claim as their own. Saying this as someone who lived a few miles from it...

With the others on FJ!- blah blah beat blah blah...

jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:08 pm

I thought today had a pretty easy board, maybe I should write down how well I do. I'm terrible at literature so FJ would never have come to me ever/

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm in Atlanta for work and they kept election coverage to commercial breaks. (Gingirch won Georgia primary).

I thought the Tom category was fairly easy. Phonograph inventor? Never heard the story of wanting to replace Washington but couldn't imagine anyone else. And "Blah blah phone inventor's assistant blah blah" is the Daily Double? I can't remember the other two, I must have missed them.

I was surprised two people who look old enough to remember Breaking Away didn't get it.

The wording in FJ did suggest some sort of beat writer. Seeing French Canadian in an American Writers category was a bit confusing, but I got it. Assuming they'd take my spelling of Keruak.

How I'd think the FJ wagering if I were on the show today.

If I'm the second place player....Let's see, double third place is $14,400, which is $1,200 less than i have now. Hey, I'm $1,200 out of first. The leader is going to bet to cover me anyway, so I'll bet $9,200 so I'll be sure to lose if I'm wrong and third place is right.

If I'm in third place......Looks like second place's ideal bet is $1,200, which would enable me to tie if we are both right and the leader is wrong. But my boyhood idol was Hank Aaron, so I'll bet $715.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:29 pm

The wagering calc suggests that David bet 0, "because Laura has reason to only bet to tie". Show of hands: who expected her to bet 1200? Who would trust her to make a rational wager were they in David's shoes? This is why -- optimal or not -- I'd never make anything less than the MSB if I were up there.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:The wagering calc suggests that David bet 0, "because Laura has reason to only bet to tie". Show of hands: who expected her to bet 1200? Who would trust her to make a rational wager were they in David's shoes? This is why -- optimal or not -- I'd never make anything less than the MSB if I were up there.
I'd have bet $1,200 and wouldn't have been too surprised to see her make that bet. but I'd never, as the leader, expect second place to do so. Even if the person had told me before the game they were a boardie and were a student of wagering strategy. I would never bet anything other than the MSB or offer a tie if the situation called for it.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:51 pm

What is TOM? I've seen it a few times.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Johnblue wrote:What is TOM? I've seen it a few times.
Tease-out metric. It's extra info in the clue that guides you to the correct response. It's not strictly necessary to the clue, but without it, the clue might be too hard.
http://www.j-archive.com/help.php#teaseoutmetric

Sometimes it's a phrase. For example, "In August 2011 this 17th c. pirate captain's flagship was found in waters off Panama; as yet, no rum has been found." The part about no rum being found is just a joke - it doesn't really give you any information about the ship's discovery. It just steers you toward a response involving a pirate associated with rum - in this case,
Spoiler
Show
Captain Morgan
Without that TOM, there are so many historic pirates that it would be way too hard.

Sometimes part of the clue is in quotes, or is a pun, or just an aside. For example, "In rounders, the ancestor of baseball, a runner was put out not by tagging but by doing this with the ball--ouch!" The "ouch!" tells you it's something painful, so you might guess
Spoiler
Show
throwing it at the batter/hitting the batter

Without that TOM, the chances the contestants will get it right are kind of low.
Last edited by Magna on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.