Monday, April 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:10 am

As soon as I saw the category, I just FF'd through the Think Music. I knew there would be a 0% chance that I had heard/heard of this song and I was correct.
Why woud you post this? You've certainly been in the chorus screaming at TPH for the last decade not to revel in his ignorance and here you are doing the same thing. If you wish to be willfully unaware of all modern pop culture then it's certainly your right but I don't get the urge to run to the message board and brag about it.

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

The combined Coryat was the lowest since this game over three years ago:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5488
I got as far as "A Star Is Born" and thought the song had the same name. Nope. 94/141 on FJ's this season.
+1 for "idiom" (definitely wrong) and "pugilistic" (definitely acceptable)
Hoping for a third lap

NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:57 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 pm
I'm going to say idiom is close, but no cigar. "This 5-letter word for a figure of speech is widely used to mean any familiar reference". Idiom definitely means "a figure of speech". But I don't think it's "widely used to mean any familiar reference". For example, I don't think we would generally refer to "Keep Calm and Carry On" variants or Overly Attached Girlfriend as "idioms". But maybe I'm just pleased with myself that I got this triple-stumper correct.
So explain how someone who is on TV Tropes literally every day missed it.
The same way this irregular Troper did, friend. Sometimes TV Tropes will not enhance your life.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 pm
Wow. Momma said there'd be games like this.

Ben cost himself at least one win by not realizing his situation and wagering everything.
You saw it. I saw it. Apparently only Ben didn't see it. His only chance to win was if his opponents both wagered sensibly and missed, in which case his $2800 would still trail both of them. He needed to get it right and bet at least $900, and he had absolutely nothing to lose by going in for $2799.

He did, however, have the game to lose if he had a sole get and a wimpy bet. OK, buddy, your only chance ever to be on J!, and there it went.

I totaled well over $10K in LT to win another game from the fourth podium.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

bluejaylink wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:04 pm
Add a third for pugilistic. And another for idiom.

Did anyone think Andrew got away with "Shiners" instead of "Shriners"? Maybe it was just me.
Thank you. I heard "Shiners" as well.

DBear

Post by DBear »

jeff6286 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:56 am
econgator wrote:

As soon as I saw the category, I just FF'd through the Think Music. I knew there would be a 0% chance that I had heard/heard of this song and I was correct.
Why woud you post this? You've certainly been in the chorus screaming at TPH for the last decade not to revel in his ignorance and here you are doing the same thing. If you wish to be willfully unaware of all modern pop culture then it's certainly your right but I don't get the urge to run to the message board and brag about it.
Oh, I've got this one. :x :evil:
Because modern pop culture is mostly made of randos that I neither have the time nor the brain cells to waste my life on.
There was a lengthy discussion last week by a certain poster who didn't think Bible questions were relevant. I feel that a thousandfold about modern pop culture.
I live for the days when pop culture questions get the same stand-&-stare treatment that geography & sports do now.
If you want to advertise your following the inanity of modern pop culture then it's certainly your right but I wouldn't run to the message board and brag about it, let alone put down those who don't.

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

econgator wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:12 pm
New York was the largest state by population in the nation for the majority of this country's existence. Virginia was top dog for the first two censuses, and then New York took over until the 1960 census, when California took the lead. (Texas grabbed the number two position about 20 years ago, and it looks like Florida will probably push NY down to #4 after the current census.)
And on the City side, NYC has always been the most populous city in the US at each census.
But only because in the first few censuses, New York counted it's suburban and rural areas in with the city population and Philadephia did not.
--
Drowning in the pool

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:41 pm
bluejaylink wrote:

Did anyone think Andrew got away with "Shiners" instead of "Shriners"? Maybe it was just me.
Thank you. I heard "Shiners" as well.
In excerpting the video so everyone could have another listen, I started out hearing "Shiners" as well. But after the fourth or fifth time hearing it while getting the vid ready for upload, I suddenly started hearing "Shriners" and now it's just as clear as day to me that that's what he said. It's like he was saying laurel and switched to yanny.

https://youtu.be/roniALOfj6c

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

jeff6286 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:56 am
econgator wrote:

I think econgator's post makes an interesting Rorschach test. All I see is a matter-of-fact statement which implies that econgator is not current on recent music and/or movies. I see absolutely nothing indicating that he is passing judgment on the subject or people who know more about it than he does, and certainly nothing resembling reveling.

My opinion is that what you inferred from econgator's post is much more than what he implied. Can you tell the difference between "I don't know anything about X" and "Why should I know anything about X" and "How can they expect me to know anything about X?" People comment all the time about responses they did or didn't get; why the vitriol here?
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:21 pm
In excerpting the video so everyone could have another listen, I started out hearing "Shiners" as well. But after the fourth or fifth time hearing it while getting the vid ready for upload, I suddenly started hearing "Shriners" and now it's just as clear as day to me that that's what he said. It's like he was saying laurel and switched to yanny.
I don't know, it still looks gold and white to me.

Seriously, I might hear a hint of a European, flip-of-the-tongue "r" in there, but if someone gave me just his response out of context I'm sure I'd transcribe it as "shiners".

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Here's what I think is going on with "Shriners" vs. "shiners": we're used to hearing it with what I call a "hard R," which is the kind of R we hear when a word begins with it, or when it ends a consonant cluster: the lips are involved in shaping the sound of it. The "soft R" occurs when it follows a vowel: it's pronounced more in the middle of the mouth, and is practically a vowel itself. (A good way to drive home the difference is to hear a recording of an R-vowel-R word, like "rare," "rear" or "roar," played backwards. They seem like they should be prosodic palindromes, but they're not.) Andrew didn't say a hard R. But I've been saying "Shriners" to myself repeatedly, and there have been instances where I formed an R in the first syllable that I couldn't hear in my own pronunciation. I'm giving Andrew the benefit of the doubt (even though I heard "shiners" at first too).

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Trope, Yugoslavia, United Negro College Fund, Easterseals, (Panama), Zambia & Zimbabwe, Italy, 1789, Mutter, Circus Maximus, Egress, Egg Beater Kick, Nock, I Am Spock/I Am Not Spock, Pugnacious, I Am the Cheese, 1500 Meters
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.0k games
Alpaca Farm: 1508 quizzes

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

DBear wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:22 pm

There was a lengthy discussion last week by a certain poster who didn't think Bible questions were relevant.
Oh come on. Not that I wanna get into a whole big thread necromancy or sidetrack, but i never said "not relevant". Not even close to that.

da Doctah
Contributor

Post by da Doctah »

bluejaylink wrote:

No, it absolutely wasn't just you. I also had "idiom" in place of trope, and the "widget/Gidget" response instead of "gadget/Gidget" mentioned above.

I suspected, and confirmed after seeing the clue, that FJ was going to be a case of "not only can't I even come up with a joke answer, I won't recognize the correct answer when it's revealed". I should get points just for being that aware of my own limitations.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'd be hard-pressed to name a dozen songs from this century. Some I guess are now on the verge of "oldies" status. "Shallow" was not among the twelve, though I guess it is now among the thirteen (at least for the moment).

Btw, there's a party at my house this week but none of you are invited. Sorry, but it's only for the very coolest of the cool.
I'm smart and I want respect.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Lefty wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 pm
Btw, there's a party at my house this week but none of you are invited. Sorry, but it's only for the very coolest of the cool.
I couldn't get to the party anyway without being on your lawn, which I'm sure you want me to get off.

mjhunt
Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:17 am
mjhunt wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 am
Golf wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 pm
Wow. Momma said there'd be games like this.

Ben cost himself at least one win by not realizing his situation and wagering everything.

Two judges rulings in differs by a letter please. Spark and spank? Somewhat doubtful but not an instant no in my opinion. Widget and Gidget? I think that would have to be acceptable.
Ben may have really wanted the extra $1,000 for second place.
That would be a very good reason for not betting it all.
Unless the score is exactly 1st=2nd+3rd, the 3rd place need not bet absolutely everything to win.
But, Ben should have bet $2,401 if that is the case. It would have won him the game, yet left him with $399 on a miss, which could easily win second if place if the player in second going into FJ bets everything or all but $1/$2/$100, which is common.
Maybe he just forgot about second place entirely.
For me, the worst thing about third place wagers that cost a player the game is how obvious it is that it wasn't a mindless decision; he at least had the forethought to figure out where Felicity would end up on a miss. He just overlooked two details, either of which would have saved him the game: first, that if Andrew wagered to cover him, Andrew would end up decently above $3,200 at up to $4,799; and second, that since Felicity wouldn't fall below his score, he had to get FJ right for any chance at winning, under which circumstances one might as well bet everything or almost everything to maximize one's take in that eventuality. (For me, the best thing about third place wagers that cost a player the game is that one happened when I was in second place and missed FJ in a ToC semifinal.)
:lol: You have to wonder what Dave was thinking in your semi-final. Did he not realize he could not win on the triple stumper?

This whole debacle is just so ironic. After all the times a third or second place player has thrown the game away by mindlessly wagering everything, we then have Ben, who would have won if he had done that, yet threw the game way by wagering very little even after having the presence of mind to reach felicity's predicted miss score of $3,199.

What can i say?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mjhunt wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:25 am
:lol: You have to wonder what Dave was thinking in your semi-final. Did he not realize he could not win on the triple stumper?

This whole debacle is just so ironic. After all the times a third or second place player has thrown the game away by mindlessly wagering everything, we then have Ben, who would have won if he had done that, yet threw the game way by wagering very little even after having the presence of mind to reach felicity's predicted miss score of $3,199.

What can i say?
As far as I can remember him telling (both in person and on the board), he either gave no thought to what I would wager, or just quickly figured I'd bet big and didn't give it any more thought beyond that.

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:07 pm
Today's 3rd place (Felicity) has coryat greater than the combined coryat of 1st and 2nd place finishers. Has that happened before?
That's happened at least fifty times before. On five occasions the player also had a score going into FJ higher than second and third combined. Only once has it happened to a player who got FJ correct: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5944.