Tuesday, April 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was 0/5 in both Field Marshall and Happier Movie Ending.

Did even worse in DJ! with only 4R.

I thought the George Harrison clue was bogus. Any reason I should know it was him, since Lennon and McCartney are far, far, FAR more known for their songwriting?!

I clammed on "reimburse" and "Temblor" because they didn't feel like the B in the middle.

Didn't see a single TOM in this clue. Absolute NHOI on the correct response. Can't say I've heard of Percy Jackson either.

Lach Trash: sap
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:08 pmI thought the George Harrison clue was bogus. Any reason I should know it was him, since Lennon and McCartney are far, far, FAR more known for their songwriting?!
“Something” is probably George Harrison’s best known song, was covered far and wide (including by Sinatra and Elvis), and is critically acclaimed; it is the second-most-covered Beatles song. It was released as the A-side of a single (“Come Together” was the other side, really a double-A single). Basically, it’s a song that a trivia buff should know.

(I’ll take any further discussion to the other thread...)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cthulhu wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:23 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:08 pmI thought the George Harrison clue was bogus. Any reason I should know it was him, since Lennon and McCartney are far, far, FAR more known for their songwriting?!
“Something” is probably George Harrison’s best known song, was covered far and wide (including by Sinatra and Elvis), and is critically acclaimed; it is the second-most-covered Beatles song. It was released as the A-side of a single (“Come Together” was the other side, really a double-A single). Basically, it’s a song that a trivia buff should know.

Only Harrison song I could name is "While My Guitar..." but I might not be a valid sample size.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So? "Yesterday" is the most covered, and I bet you not a single soul could name any of the artists who have done any of said covers. Or anyone who's ever had sucess with a Beatles cover ever.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

mas3cf wrote: Gary looks like a pretty good player. Looking for him to go on a run....
On the other hand, he thought John Lennon wrote Something. That tells me he has some holes in his knowledge base.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:30 pm

So? "Yesterday" is the most covered, and I bet you not a single soul could name any of the artists who have done any of said covers. Or anyone who's ever had sucess with a Beatles cover ever.
Hammer! Yes we can. Anyone who collects recordings has some Beatles songs. We can remember who did them. Do you want me to Rattle a bunch off?

Any number of artists have done yesterday Michelle something.

Some artists have done entire albums of Beatles songs.

To name just one Beatles song that John Lennon said was his personal favorite. Anne-Murray recorded you won't see me.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm another "I was pretty sure it was the author of the Percy Jackson books, whom I couldn't name" person. Somehow I thought it was a woman.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Could be worse, I thought Percy Jackson was the author.

Was anyone else as put off as I was that Andrew basically did everything in his power not to uncover the final DD? After finding the first one, he controlled the board for six consecutive clues on a board with only three realistic locations for it (five if you count the remaining $800 boxes it could be in) and didn't come up with it.
Category 13 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:49 pm
mas3cf wrote: Gary looks like a pretty good player. Looking for him to go on a run....
On the other hand, he thought John Lennon wrote Something. That tells me he has some holes in his knowledge base.
I don't think he had any clue who wrote it, but after Andrew ruled out McCartney, it was worth taking a flier on one of the other two Beatles.

Admittedly, I too said McCartney, but that's because for some reason I thought the clue was hinting toward something written post-breakup and thought it might be something he wrote for Wings. (And yes, Beatles music is a huge blind spot for me too. Never put too much effort into the discography of a band that broke up nearly 15 years before I was born.)
talkingaway wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:19 pm I copied Andrew's mistake of reBate in B IN THE MIDDLE, but managed to count out 6 letters before ringing in.
I said deBit, not so much because I thought it was right but because what could be the odds that there was another word with a B in the right spot that high up on the board?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:40 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:47 pm Got as far as Percy Jackson, but didn't know who wrote 'em :(
Ditto.
Kinda ditto. Know who wrote them, but couldn't pull the name in time.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Newhausen wrote:
I don't think he had any clue who wrote it, but after Andrew ruled out McCartney, it was worth taking a flier on one of the other two Beatles.
Careful, now.

I agree it was worth taking a stab, but if anyone is at all familiar with the Beatles catalog, they should know George sings that song.
Also, I don't think Sidra had a clue who wrote it either, until Andrew and Gary narrowed it down for her.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

That fact about it being the second-most covered Beatles song surprises me - obviously, "Yesterday" is the one everyone knows is the most covered song period. And while I'd definitely put "Something" in the top twenty of Beatles songs trivia folks should know (come on, they're prolific), I would have thought that a lot of their other songs would have been covered more than "Something".

I am awful at distinguishing the Beatles vocals, except for McCartney - probably because out of the four, I'm most familiar with his solo work. (Although, now that I think about it, "Imagine" and "Got My Mind Set On You" could be touchstones for John and George. Sorry, Ringo.) But for some reason, I can STILL hear the lead vocals as being Paul, so I "fell" for the trap of guessing Paul was the writer.

At least I had the right logic - the guy who wrote it probably sang lead. And weren't most of the songs written by Lennon or McCartney automatically credited as Lennon/McCartney? That should have been a flashing red light to me to avoid saying Paul - they want one Beatle, so that basically leaves George or Ringo.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Am I seriously the first guy here to report getting this FJ! :shock:

And it was an instaget, too
earendel

Post by earendel »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:05 amAm I seriously the first guy here to report getting this FJ! :shock:

Looks like it. I'm in the "I know they're talking about 'Percy Jackson' but don't know who wrote the books" crowd.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
alamble

Post by alamble »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:05 am Am I seriously the first guy here to report getting this FJ! :shock:

Instaget for me too, though it probably doesn’t hurt that I’ve read almost all of the extended PJ universe books - I think they’re much more accessible to middle school/early YA readers than Harry Potter (and I say that as someone who loves HP). Prior to Percy, Riordan (and yes, Alex did pronounce his last name correctly) published several mystery novels for adults, too.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Am I the only one that thought Gary looks like Brad Rutter (physically)?

I saw Mark's post of how many time Riordan (was Alex's pronunciation correct? I would assume it sounds like Reerdon.) has come up, so there was no excuse for his name not being familiar to me.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

New flash: WE ALL have holes in our knowledge base. OK, maybe not KJ or Brad or James, but for us mere mortals the holes can be numerous and large.

I will confess that this is the second game in a row in which the FJ was an NHO for me, without even a glimmering of recognition at the reveal.

On the other hand, in those same two games, I scooped up 15 triple-stumpers worth around $19K, which tells me I would have been competitive in both games. Even my Monday FJ stand-and-stare didn't stop me from winning that game from the fourth podium.

I get the impression from reading this thread that perhaps I should know Riordan and/or Percy Jackson. But alas I do not. But I do know what a rhizome is, and that P.T. Barnum duped people by leading them to the "egress," and that Leonard Nimoy wrote I Am Not Spock and I Am Spock. Along with enough other useless junk to make my wife's eyes roll from time to time.

This seems to be the reality of the game, and of life in general. We don't and can't know everything, so we select certain things to learn about because they are interesting, or useful, or entertaining, or whatever.

Not sure why I feel the need to write this. Perhaps I've been sheltered at home too long. I hope that when you wannabes out there make it to your own podium, you find the material to your liking. And that the same goes for me when I make it to mine.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Holy Crap, I just made a cultural reference. Something else I learned, to fill up part of the hole in my knowledge base.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

I read the entire series of both HP and PJ when I was in middle school. I can read really fast (for example, I read the half-blood prince all the way through in two hours, when I hadn't read it in years). No way was I missing this.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

My son is thrilled to get his first regular-play Final Jeopardy ever. Instaget for him :)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 pm I've heard of Rick Riordan but can never remember his name -- even though he has the same name as the man who was mayor of Los Angeles when I moved here in 1999. (Although the mayor goes by Richard.)
The L.A. mayor didn't pronounce his name RYE-ur-dun, though, did he? I remember it as closer to Reardon with maybe a bend in the first vowel sound to stretch it to one and a half but not two syllables. I was surprised when Alex gave the pronunciation he did to author Rick's last name, but Wikipedia says that's correct. Wiki has no opinion at this point on pronouncing Mayor Richard R's last name.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Newhausen wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:02 am
Fair enough. But maybe it's still kind of a hole in the knowledge base if he doesn't know that Lennon/McCartney officially get credited together on Beatles songs, even when it's known which one did the heavy (or even all the) lifting. Asking for a song by "this Beatle" should generally steer you away from Lennon/McCartney. And when McCartney got immediately negged rather than awkward-paused or BMSed, Lennon was an extra bad rebound guess.* That leaves Starr (unlikely) and Harrison (ding ding ding ding ding).

So Harrison was really the best available guess even for someone who didn't know that "Something" was probably his most famous Beatles song. I wonder if there are any archived clues that look for Lennon or McCartney as the sole correct response for the composer of a Beatles song. Maybe McCartney for Yesterday?

---------------
* Especially since, if either one of them was going to write "Something", especially at that stage in the life of the Beatles, it was going to be Paul. But that's a) advanced Beatles knowledge for J! purposes and b) subjective. Yet also, c) completely and inarguably true.