Reruns to start May 4th

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Reruns to start May 4th

Post by ParrotRob »

Bamaman wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:28 pm They just had the college tournament so I doubt they want to rerun that so soon. So who knows what will happen.
I just hope they don't cave to the social media masses and start airing a James-a-thon.
--
Drowning in the pool
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:27 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:28 pm They just had the college tournament so I doubt they want to rerun that so soon. So who knows what will happen.
I just hope they don't cave to the social media masses and start airing a James-a-thon.
That is my fear. He is in the middle of his run on Daytime Jeopardy if people want to see him.

I wish they would dig deep into their archives and show some really old games but I doubt that happens.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:33 pm
That is my fear. He is in the middle of his run on Daytime Jeopardy if people want to see him.

I wish they would dig deep into their archives and show some really old games but I doubt that happens.
Not everyone gets daytime J!, though.
OCSam
gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Daytime Jeopardy actually aired his (and Emma's) runs at the beginning of the season. My station, WABC airs it at 1:07 AM Tuesday-Saturday, though, as far as I know, they didn't start until October 1, 2019 with James' 13th game, so they are about two weeks behind (they also skipped the All-Star Games on Daytime Jeopardy). Before that, they only aired Daytime Jeopardy in the 2014-15 season at 2 PM.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t ever watch it. I just assumed they showed episodes in order from the previous season.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Assuming no new episodes for S36 get taped, and thus there will be reruns from June onward, TPTB ought to air several more Ken Jennings episodes. In particular, they should air the episodes when Ken reached $1M, where he broke the one-day record with $75K, and reaching the $2M mark. If Daytime Jeopardy! has already reran James Holzhauer's original run, then there may not be any point in rerunning them in the summer. But if they did they should do select episodes - James's first show; James breaks the single-day record with $110,914; James breaks his own record with $131,127; James reaches the $2M mark; James's last show.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm not sure if anyone's brought this up, but when it comes to reruns, they probably like the more recent episodes simply because the clues are less likely to be out of date. Sure, Henry VIII is always going to have six wives, but in last night's 2004 episode there was a "name the team's stadium" category where only three clues were revealed...and all three are dated. Plus an oblique reference to "hanging chad" that might be a little bit of a reach today, but would have been easy in 2004. You know people are going to send floods of emails with "eratta" that aren't eratta.

There's also the changing canon of J! - some people who were important then are obscure now, just as some people who are important now may be obscure later. Or, at the very least, their level of difficulty could change. As an example, Nancy Pelosi wouldn't be obscure now, but looking back 30 years, Jim Wright and Tom Foley probably wouldn't be obscure in the early 90s.

On the one hand, for superfans, it adds a layer of difficulty that actually can make it quite fun. But for casual viewers who tune in just to have something on in the background, or who leave it on after the news, it might be a little disconcerting. Personally, I'd -LOVE- to see a month where they did a week of "time machine" shows back to the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 10s. It might even be cool if they did pop-ups ala VH1's Pop-Up Video whenever a clue was outdated. But a lot of people want their trivia to be up to date and contain references to current events, literature, and pop culture.

Besides, there's the whole SD/HD issue. While I find it silly for J! (do we really need Alex's mustache in HD?), maybe there are folks who would see the SD bars on the side and know immediately that it's "old" or a "rerun", and tune out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Skimming through the old episodes in the archive update thread, I often see a number of clues that are no longer valid or are ones that would be much easier to a person living in 1987.

That wouldn’t be a problem for me watching in 2020 because I would enjoy just seeing them. But casual fans probably wouldn’t.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:53 amPersonally, I'd -LOVE- to see a month where they did a week of "time machine" shows back to the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 10s. It might even be cool if they did pop-ups ala VH1's Pop-Up Video whenever a clue was outdated. But a lot of people want their trivia to be up to date and contain references to current events, literature, and pop culture.
I love this idea! They need to do this and stream it for free with ads or put it on a service I already pay for like Hulu Plus or Netflix or Amazon Prime.
gameshowfandanny

gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:10 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:25 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:42 am Rob Worman posted on Reddit yesterday that the ToC is rerunning from June 22-July 3. This means that James will re-air on June 24, 30, and July 2-3.
So I assume that leaves June 15-19 as an unknown rerun week, I suppose, since after this week, there are 5 weeks between now and the ToC rerun, and there are 4 weeks of unaired shows (week 1 of no audience, teachers' tourney, week 2 of no audience)

Just did a Reddit search, it looks like the heads-up he got was a vague "end of June". He never gave the exact dates, so it might be June 15-26.
No, he said that he would be rerunning on June 23, so it's June 22-July 3. And yes, June 15-19 is still unknown, though as I said earlier in the thread, my provider lists the episodes 23 days in advance on their app, so on May 23, I'll post what's airing that week, since that's when it should be revealed for me. I'm hoping they rerun regular-play episodes besides Ken's first and last shows. Here is what Rob said:
"I got a head's up that the 2019 ToC will rerun at the end of June. (tune in on 6/23, maybe this time I'll come up with Miss Havisham! ;)"
My provider's app (which as I said in the quote lists episodes 23 days in advance) has gotten to June 15, however, they just show a placeholder for that day, so we will have to wait a little longer for that week's reruns.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

One thing I noticed from the end of today's game - no plug directly from Alex for the Teachers' Tourney at the end of the game. Often he says, "Well, we'll see Winner McWinnerson in two weeks, because we're starting our Blargleblarg Tourney on Monday."

I'd love to go back in the time machine and see if they eliminated the plug from the Friday game three weeks ago (before this week and before the two GOAT weeks), because I think the Teachers' Tourney might have been originally scheduled for this past week, but I could be wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 pm I'd love to go back in the time machine and see if they eliminated the plug from the Friday game three weeks ago (before this week and before the two GOAT weeks), because I think the Teachers' Tourney might have been originally scheduled for this past week, but I could be wrong.
I wonder why they did it the way they did. Why split the two regular weeks with the Teacher's Tourney? Sweeps isn't a thing right now.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:41 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 pm I'd love to go back in the time machine and see if they eliminated the plug from the Friday game three weeks ago (before this week and before the two GOAT weeks), because I think the Teachers' Tourney might have been originally scheduled for this past week, but I could be wrong.
I wonder why they did it the way they did. Why split the two regular weeks with the Teacher's Tourney? Sweeps isn't a thing right now.
I'd guess they wanted to end with regular games, like any normal season.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:52 pm
Two seasons have ended with a Teen Tournament, two seasons have ended with a Kids Week, and seasons 5-11 ended with Seniors Tournaments.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 pm
Two seasons have ended with a Teen Tournament, two seasons have ended with a Kids Week, and seasons 5-11 ended with Seniors Tournaments.
Those weren't normal. :D
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This makes sense - and, in particular, they probably wanted to end the season with the episode that was taped last. The Teachers' Tourney was taped way earlier, no? Even back in March when last week's episodes were taped, it seemed quite probable that they wouldn't be able to come back and finish off the rest of the season. So, maybe Alex got his 30 seconds at the end of the audience-free episodes. Not a -goodbye- goodbye, but a modified one, just in case that was his last episode.

That said, why not run both weeks of the Teachers' Tourney, and THEN run the regular eps. Seems like it would be more organized that way.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

As for which reruns they'll rerun in the extended hiatus, remember that there's a recent superchampion whose has precisely four weeks of games that haven't been rerun at all yet.
gameshowfandanny

The reason Alex didn't mention the Teachers Tournament on Friday's episode was because it was scheduled to air on May 4-15, but was moved to May 25-June 5 (Friday's episodes were taped on March 10 and the Teachers Tournament was taped on February 24 and 25.
gameshowfandanny

My provider's app revealed the week of June 15 today:
Monday is Gilbert Collins' third game.
Tuesday is the 2018 College Championship finale with Dhruv Gaur.
Wednesday is Rachel Lindgren's fifth game.
Thursday is Ryan Fenster's fourth game with the football category.
Friday is Rob Worman's third game.
gameshowfandanny

It looks like June 22-July 3's reruns are not Season 36's Tournament of Champions. My app's listings confirm that June 22 is Kyle Jones' 4th game (September 17, 2018).