Wednesday, April 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Plactus »

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:06 pm
A country with a whole lot of people (more than the USA) that is a democracy. That is a pretty short list. Russia was a really bad guess, especially considering he was born there.
I figured there had to be some trick, something more to it than "There are two countries with enough people, and one of them is China." After briefly considering if I'm wrong about Indonesia's population, I moved on to some dictator having a mock election where everyone (allegedly) votes for him 1000 times, and Russia was a country I considered for that. (Then I decided even if someone did that, Jeopardy! would note the population/vote count inversion and went back to the obvious answer.)
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 pm
Seriously, J! writers?!?!?!? MARY TYLER MOORE at a higher dollar value than SUPERSTORE?
I have to agree with you since the clue referred both to the famous theme song and to one of the show's characters, Ted Baxter.

The contestants are mostly screwing themselves by playing the board from the bottom up.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

DBear

Post by DBear »

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:31 pm
I said vegetables for the meat and three. Judges?
I thought it a reference to the "three sisters" of Latin American cooking. -- corn, beans & squash :?:

mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Wow. Kids week FJ.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:
Sides aren't limited to vegetables (e.g., Mac & Cheese)

schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Why didn't they credit Sharon for "the deepest part" of the Pacific Ocean? It is a correct answer, and it satisfies the clue (which asked only for a "part" of the Pacific Ocean and didn't ask for a name or anything) and the category. At the very least, she should have gotten a BMS or a prompt for a proper name, rather than an immediate ruling of being wrong. I wonder if she challenged that ruling at the end of DJ? (I would have...)

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

schoe wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:37 pm
Why didn't they credit Sharon for "the deepest part" of the Pacific Ocean? It is a correct answer, and it satisfies the clue (which asked only for a "part" of the Pacific Ocean and didn't ask for a name or anything) and the category. At the very least, she should have gotten a BMS or a prompt for a proper name, rather than an immediate ruling of being wrong. I wonder if she challenged that ruling at the end of DJ? (I would have...)
With a $6K lead? Her answer is reminiscent of Cliff Claven's "Who are 3 people who've never been in my Kitchen?" :D . Or, A: This person won the gold medal in the 100M dash. Q: Who was the fastest runner? I was surprised they left her backtalk in the edited version but I guess Alex's response was pithy enough to keep.

I can't be the only boardie who's heard the trope of India being the world's largest democracy about every time they have an election. I'm always surprised when smart people aren't vaguely aware of the planet's 7 billion population and the U.S. 300ish million position right below the mega-countries. I don't really like it when Alex demeans a contestant's answer. Just say he's wrong. If you count Putin's puppet empire in North America, they almost have 500 million people. (PSA - TIL that Russia only has 144 million people, less than half of US).

The funeral director is having his viewing party in private. How surreal it must be to watch this episode of the old normal.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

schoe wrote:
Same reason they didn't accept Andrew's FJ response on Monday. Accurately describing the correct response doesn't cut it.

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

floridagator wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 pm
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 pm
Seriously, J! writers?!?!?!? MARY TYLER MOORE at a higher dollar value than SUPERSTORE?
I have to agree with you since the clue referred both to the famous theme song and to one of the show's characters, Ted Baxter.

The contestants are mostly screwing themselves by playing the board from the bottom up.
I don't even know what network Superstore is on, tho I have kindasorta heard of it... S&S for me.

I was a huge fan of the MTM show... But somehow I didn't process the clue... S&S followed by a huge facepalm. :(

FJ! was an easy one...

schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:06 am
schoe wrote:
With a $6K lead? Her answer is reminiscent of Cliff Claven's "Who are 3 people who've never been in my Kitchen?" :D . Or, A: This person won the gold medal in the 100M dash. Q: Who was the fastest runner? I was surprised they left her backtalk in the edited version but I guess Alex's response was pithy enough to keep.
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:21 am
Same reason they didn't accept Andrew's FJ response on Monday. Accurately describing the correct response doesn't cut it.
I don't know... I think if the question asked, "this point of the Pacific Ocean reaches 36,070 feet down," Sharon's answer would be clearly wrong/kitchen-people-esque, but it called for "this part," which suggests a generalized answer. In fact, is Challenger Deep even a correct answer to the question, if it's a point? I confess I don't know enough about Challenger Deep to know exactly how it's defined, but a few google hits suggest it's just the deepest point only, not a "part" of the ocean. (Other sites say it's a "part," though.)

What tips the scale in my mind is that it wasn't a DD or FJ, where an answer is forced. Andrew put in "Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's duet" because he had to put in something, and he had no reasonable expectation that he would get credit for it. But Sharon's answer wasn't forced, so on the assumption that she wasn't throwing away $2000 for a joke, she presumably rang in thinking that her answer would be credited -- and given the category and the way the clue was worded (plus the "DEE" category, which narrows the field of answers, and which "deepest part" satisfies), I don't think that view was unreasonable. I think there's a fair argument that a contestant could reasonably think that that answer could be credited and that the show shouldn't penalize a contestant for that reasonable view. They gave credit to Michael for "oysters" instead of "shellfish" because there too, even if that wasn't what the writers were going for, the clue wasn't such that a response of "oysters" was unreasonable. At the very least, they should have given her a chance to come up with "Challenger Deep."
twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:06 am
I can't be the only boardie who's heard the trope of India being the world's largest democracy about every time they have an election. I'm always surprised when smart people aren't vaguely aware of the planet's 7 billion population and the U.S. 300ish million position right below the mega-countries. I don't really like it when Alex demeans a contestant's answer. Just say he's wrong. If you count Putin's puppet empire in North America, they almost have 500 million people. (PSA - TIL that Russia only has 144 million people, less than half of US).
Agreed that was a ridiculously easy FJ (given that there's only two countries that even have 500 million+ people in the first place). Also, given the way the question is worded, it looks like the 2014 election didn't break the turnout record for a democratic election -- it broke the record for any election, which makes the inclusion of "democratic" unnecessary except to make an easy question even easier. A better FJ: "In 2014 this nation broke the record for total turnout in a single election" -- I wonder how people would have fared with that?

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:21 am
schoe wrote:
But every once in awhile, a clue has a nonstandard or humorous response - like, "This is why Romeo didn't have the last line in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet?" (What is he's dead?) Yeah, I know that's not a great example, but they exist. It's not QUITE trivializing the clue, because maybe there's a part deeper than the depth that they gave.

I agree that her answer is insufficient, but a BMS might have been in order. The clue could have been tightened up a little, but I know making clues can be tough. Maybe if they'd said "this part of the Pacific Ocean named after a ship reaches...".

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I also thought they should have prompted on "Deepest part" and at least given her a chance to come up with Challenger Deep. The fact that her response included the required quoted portion of the category name to me puts it a cut above a generic Clavinesque response, even if only slightly. I'd at least like Alex to pause and either think it over or look to the judges, which could possibly even allow her to provide the correct response without a prompt.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

schoe wrote:
Yeah, I sort of expected them to come back from the break with a scoring change that gave Sharon a runaway. Seems like a BMS situation at minimum.

OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

A Marriage Made in Literature 200 wrote:Anna Oblonsky is the maiden name of this title character
Um, her maiden name was Anna Arkadyevna Oblonskaya, not Oblonsky—just as, on marrying Alexei Karenin, she became Anna Karenina.
Even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked.

—Bob Dylan

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:48 am
A Marriage Made in Literature 200 wrote:Anna Oblonsky is the maiden name of this title character
Um, her maiden name was Anna Arkadyevna Oblonskaya, not Oblonsky—just as, on marrying Alexei Karenin, she became Anna Karenina.
Can you explain that?

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

This was one of those finals that felt like negbait. What else COULD it be but India? We know China isn't a democracy. What other countries even have 500 million people, let alone voters? Then you start overthinking. Glad I stuck with the obvious.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

alietr wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:23 am
OldSchoolChamp wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:48 am
Can you explain that?
Russian surnames have a masculine and a feminine form, the latter formed by suffixing -a to the masculine form (sometimes along with other structural changes): Karenin/Karenina, Oblonsky/Oblonskaya. The middle name is a patronymic, formed from the father’s name suffixed with -ovich or -evich (“son of”) or -ovna or -evna (“daughter of”). My son David’s name in proper Russian would be David Stepánovich Chernikov (Давид Степанович Черников); my daughter Ann would be Anna Stepánovna Chernikova (Анна Степановна Черникова).
Even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked.

—Bob Dylan

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Bamaman wrote:
C'mon man, a Bama Man should know the "three" could easily include fried apples or applesauce, cornbread, beans, mac & cheese, grits... basically lots of things that aren't vegetables ;)

As for FJ!, how much easier could it have gotten? Only two countries in the world have populations > 500m, and one of them doesn't even pretend to be a democracy. The clue may as well have been "This southern Asian country, whose capital is New Delhi, is the home of Gandhi and also the only five-letter country whose name ends in -ndia".
Last edited by ParrotRob on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Drowning in the pool

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Doesn't seem like either Alex or any of the contestants 'got' that "DEE" DEE, DEE-DEE-DEE was meant to be an add on to PHENOMENA. I'm sure the writer who came up with that was going "no, that's not how you say it!"

Was that FJ left over from a kids' tourney? :D

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was dead tired after work last night, and then woke up to find I had no Internet. One hour on the phone with Spectrum later...

====

I think that Sitcom category was a real clunker by the writers.

"Inner Hebrides" is completely unfamiliar to me in the top box.

Washington, D.C. was my only 0/5 of the night.

No guess on FJ! "500 Million" was throwing me for a loop since I couldn't fathom any country being that big, and I had no idea that India is a democracy.

Lach Trash: side dishes, Superstore, frogs, balladeer
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent