Tuesday, April 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

Epic film and a plausible finishing line plus my limited knowledge = Ten Comndments. Major props to Sharon for the Dauphin get for $2K when she needed it, and she scooped up two more $2K clues. She won the hard way on a sole solve, but we haven't seen strategic betting in a while. Maybe they all agreed to shoot the moon since there's no pot there. There are a lot more whackos saying we didn't go to the moon at all than there are saying we went there in 2012.

The Ear doctor wasn't able to ring in on Tympanum but TIL the thumb is called the Pollex. Much of DJ was pre-empted because a drop of rain fell somewhere and it is the hype season in tornado alley.

It's pretty unreasonable to expect a non-baseball fan to come up with ERA since they named an obscure 1914 "ace" instead of at least calling him a pitcher. I would have thought the record was lower from the dead ball era.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Why did Mina get a boo-hiss for Ben-Hur? I got The Ten Commandments but considered Ben-Hur and Spartacus.

I think "three" should have been correct without requiring threescore.

I've only heard it as Shinto before and not Shintoism. I said Evangelicalism instead of fundamentalism.

I said Holy Roman Emperor for Charles V instead of Dauphin.

Plenty of opportunity for me to learn from this game.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

DBear wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:17 pm

TPTB, can you please screen for people who know something about sports? :Facepalm:
I'm officially in the pool on May 1, though it looks like I can't do anything about it for now.

Easy 3 questions in baseball for me. Would have liked to have seen the rest of it.

What's the purpose of betting $600 on DDs? You're just turning it into a regular clue. If you hate the category, bet small. If you like it, gotta bet bigger.
Now swimming in the J! pool.

schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

MattKnowles wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:43 pm
I've only heard it as Shinto before and not Shintoism. I said Evangelicalism instead of fundamentalism.
Me too. (When I saw the clue, I said, sounds like Shinto, but that's not an "ism," is it?) Seems like a questionable clue, particularly given that the category expressly calls for "ism"...

And Speaker of the House as a $1000 clue? The current Speaker? You don't mean $200?
Last edited by schoe on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

lstone19 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:22 pm
At an airport with a control tower, taxiing on a runway requires an explicit clearance to do so (e.g. if given a clearance to taxi without a route specified, the route is at pilot discretion but that discretion does not include taxiing on a runway).
I pictured the action of taxiing to get to the spot on the runway where you stop before starting the takeoff roll, which does include a certain amount of taxiing on the runway. (As I'm sure you know, U.S. air traffic control in fact used to instruct pilots to perform this maneuver by saying "taxi into position and hold," until they switched to the international standard "line up and wait" instruction.)

davey

Post by davey »

schoe wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 pm
MattKnowles wrote:
Me too. (When I saw the clue, I said, sounds like Shinto, but that's not an "ism," is it?) Seems like a questionable clue, particularly given that the category expressly calls for "ism"...
Over 800,000 hits for Shintoism in Google.

cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

lstone19 wrote:
Every once in a while, it seems the game writers think something is so obvious that no research is needed only to be wrong. Today it was in the double-vowel category with the clue "What a plane is doing moving down a runway, preparing for take-off". I could not come up with anything with a double-vowel, even after pausing it for several seconds. What they wanted was "What is taxiing". As a pilot, I have to say nope. One normally taxis on taxiways - runways are for takeoffs and landings and taxiways are for taxiing. At an airport with a control tower, taxiing on a runway requires an explicit clearance to do so (e.g. if given a clearance to taxi without a route specified, the route is at pilot discretion but that discretion does not include taxiing on a runway). An airplane moving down a runway preparing for take-off (as the clue said) is accelerating or rolling (to use pilot jargon) but is not taxiing.
You beat me to it. Terrible clue.

lstone19
Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

trainman wrote:
lstone19 wrote:
At an airport with a control tower, taxiing on a runway requires an explicit clearance to do so (e.g. if given a clearance to taxi without a route specified, the route is at pilot discretion but that discretion does not include taxiing on a runway).
I pictured the action of taxiing to get to the spot on the runway where you stop before starting the takeoff roll, which does include a certain amount of taxiing on the runway. (As I'm sure you know, U.S. air traffic control in fact used to instruct pilots to perform this maneuver by saying "taxi into position and hold," until they switched to the international standard "line up and wait" instruction.)
My view is you taxi ON to the the runway, not DOWN the runway. As you said, “taxi into position”, not taxi to whatever spot you want some distance DOWN the runway. But as my wife pointed out, much of the general population does not understand the difference between runways and taxiways; pilots, of course, do and Jeopardy, when they use terms of art, must follow what the terms really mean, not what the non-practitioners think they mean.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

lstone19 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:06 am
trainman wrote:
lstone19 wrote:
My view is you taxi ON to the the runway, not DOWN the runway. As you said, “taxi into position”, not taxi to whatever spot you want some distance DOWN the runway. But as my wife pointed out, much of the general population does not understand the difference between runways and taxiways; pilots, of course, do and Jeopardy, when they use terms of art, must follow what the terms really mean, not what the non-practitioners think they mean.
And you can't exactly use 'taxiway' in a clue designed to prompt the response 'taxiing'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Hardcore Henry (9), Joy (6), Mandela (7), The Quiet Man (7)

lstone19
Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

jeff6286 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:29 pm
I feel an erratum should be added to the Gettysburg Address clue. The speech begins Four score, not fourscore, it is this way in virtually every online text and in pictures of Lincoln's speech itself. So by making Sarah change her response from "three" to "threescore", they were just plain wrong. Threescore and fourscore may be perfectly acceptable as words but it's not the way Lincoln wrote it or how it is generally depicted in the speech.
Agreed. All sources I could find say "Four score", not "Fourscore". Jeopardy writers were off their game today.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

^^
If a response of taxiing is needed to be elicited, I would suggest, "an aircraft in engages in this maneuver to get from the terminal to the runway."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

lstone19
Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Volante wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 am
And you can't exactly use 'taxiway' in a clue designed to prompt the response 'taxiing'
You can't but instead of "What a plane is doing moving down a runway, preparing for take-off", use "What a plane is doing heading to a runway, preparing for take-off".

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The best ATCs work at en route centers & approach controls. Tower flowers get all the glory for some reason. The last prez counts Sendak’s books as one of his faves? Dummy.

I watched Ben Hur a couple of weeks ago on TCM. It’s 4 hours long. I did get this FJ but I wasn’t very confident so I was glad to see Sarah’s correct answer. She talked again today which I didn’t mind. I was glad to see her win again.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Silly me. When I can confidently answer a movie FJ, I assume that at least 2 of the contestants will get it. Color me surprised at the outcome. It looked to me like Sarah was getting outbuzzed pretty consistently this game, but stayed in it courtesy of her deeper knowledge base and better discipline. Mina didn’t help herself with some of those guesses.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:
lstone19 wrote:
That and on smaller airports, like London City, for example (or, more infamously, Tenerife), you can use the the runway as a taxiway (called backtracking or backtaxiiing).

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:08 pm
Coryat $35,400 (45R, 2W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Whiffed on Rastafarianism, forgot the category and went with Vodun... :?

Some of the Snopes clues were unusually poorly pinned. For example:

A NASA astronaut did not carry a big bag of marijuana up to this in 2012

Technically, the Moon was correct, as would be the Pope's attic, the top of Mount Everest, or any of a host of other places you could conceivably carry weed up to.
floridagator wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm

1950s film + Epic led me directly to the Ten Commandments. I actually didn't recognize the line as from the film and it seemed more libertarian than I think of the book of Exodus being. But like I said, 1950s epic was the Ten Commandments and I couldn't think of anything else, knowing Ben Hur was from 1960.
Ben-Hur is from 1959, which is why I had to swat it away to get to the right answer...
The clue about pot was pinned to a Snopes article debunking where an astronaut took it to.

lstone19
Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

econgator wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:32 am
trainman wrote:
lstone19 wrote:
That and on smaller airports, like London City, for example (or, more infamously, Tenerife), you can use the the runway as a taxiway (called backtracking or backtaxiiing).
True but that is the exception, not the norm. And as you said, infamously Tenerife. Taxiing on a runway is a higher risk operation as was shown there. Runways are a high-speed environment, taxiways are a low-speed environment and they do not mix well.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

lstone19 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:40 am
econgator wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:32 am
trainman wrote:
lstone19 wrote:
True but that is the exception, not the norm. And as you said, infamously Tenerife. Taxiing on a runway is a higher risk operation as was shown there. Runways are a high-speed environment, taxiways are a low-speed environment and they do not mix well.
But if you -can- taxi on a runway for takeoff, even in exceptions, that doesn't make the clue wrong, just more specific a situation.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Hardcore Henry (9), Joy (6), Mandela (7), The Quiet Man (7)

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MattKnowles wrote:
Why did Mina get a boo-hiss for Ben-Hur?
By whom?

Ben-Hur was my precall, but I did get the correct answer last night.

astrohip
Valued Contributor

Post by astrohip »

FJ was helped by my annual speed-watch of The Ten Commandments. Record it all in advance, 4+ hours, then FF thru the slow parts. But I always watch the ending, so that phrase was recently imprinted on my brain.

Love watching Sarah, she's a fun contestant, with a very good breadth of knowledge. She's from Hutto, one of my favorite cities. I wonder if she will ever discuss the Hutto mascot?

~astroHIP~