Friday, May 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:42 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:38 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 pm Playing devil's advocate here: what disqualifies Belize? It also has "el" in its name. Nothing in the clue said the article had to be a separate word or used in its Spanish-language context.

If the answer is only, "But El Salvador, and it said the ONLY country..." then the clue falls apart because there is no ONLY country that fits the clue.
So would you count Ireland as correct?
By the same logic, any country that ends in "land." Why wouldn't they fit the clue?
um, because "land" is not an article?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

John Boy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:28 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:42 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:38 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 pm Playing devil's advocate here: what disqualifies Belize? It also has "el" in its name. Nothing in the clue said the article had to be a separate word or used in its Spanish-language context.

If the answer is only, "But El Salvador, and it said the ONLY country..." then the clue falls apart because there is no ONLY country that fits the clue.
So would you count Ireland as correct?
By the same logic, any country that ends in "land." Why wouldn't they fit the clue?
um, because "land" is not an article?

"la" is.
Last edited by mas3cf on Fri May 01, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

Oh thank goodness. I'm glad it was confusing to others. I stopped by to see if anyone else had an issue with the wording.
I spent the entire time and then some trying to decipher the clue.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

One HELL of an almost-comeback by Quemars, until he negged on the next-to-last clue and made it mathematically impossible for him to overtake Jesse again.

Odd note: clue in this game says Priestly called oxygen "pure air." Yet in a J! quiz I took once upon a time a clue said he called it "dephlogisticated" something-or-other. That second word escapes me but the odd first word stuck I my brain pan. Anybody else heard that? and did old Joseph call it both things? BTW did he himself call it oxygen?

Look forward to seeing you all back on this board some day when the game returns for "normal" play.

Stay safe out there.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

DBear wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:30 pm :D :D :D on DDs.
Shame on the contestants for not recognizing the San Diego Chicken. :P
How is Norman Lear a TS? If I can get him, anyone should. :o
FJ gave me little trouble. Wasn't all that confident on El Salvador, but WECIB? :mrgreen:
So many headslappers for me today.

I've lived in San Diego, went to Padres games, I know the real name of the San Diego Chicken, and I still answered "Swinging Friar".

Who is Norman Mailer? Because that's who I answered with instead of Norman Lear.

FJ is so obvious in hindsight, but I got stuck in La Los land and never came up with it. I ultimately answered Timor L'Este which is wrong on so many levels.

Sigh... not a great game for me.

$18000 Coryat. Not a good week actually. I want the College tournament back.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Spectacular game for me, if for nothing else, my recent flashcard on Limoges paid off for $1600 in LT :mrgreen:

My only real hiccup was saying Madeira instead of Porto when asked for a Portuguese city famous for its wine. Anyone else make the same mistake?

The wording did get me for a bit on FJ, but only so long as it took Alex to finish reading it. Considering Spanish is almost a second language to me, I got this one pretty quickly, pen down, no afterthought.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

3/3 on DDs. 41R. Lots wrong. I immediately thought of El Salvador and dismissed it because it's not a primarily English speaking nation. Thought of Algeria but then dismissed it because they would speak Arabic or French. Wandered off to Asia and then decided to go back to the Western Hemisphere and started going through Caribbean islands. I did not read the clue correctly. I might have written down El Salvador just to have something but I won't count it for the poll.

I got the clue about Samuel Butler by listening to Gojira. I did not get the clue about Amsterdam by listening to Nightwish.

I've eaten strawberry shortcake before but didn't know it had biscuits. I'm pretty what I ate did not include a biscuit. Biscuits are good though. I like them with gravy.

I missed Higgs by trying to go for Murray Gell-Mann for some reason.

Since there was a clue about Kafka I think it is very appropriate to post this excellent piece of journalism regarding the Franz Kafka International Airport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ. Highly recommended watching.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

FJ! was easy for me. I took the same very brief excursion that Ashleigh did, because I knew that Cote d'Ivoire is VERY picky about not translating their name into other languages. Pretty sure Bob Costas taught me that during one of the the Olympic parades. Then, it was on to the actual clue. Spanish articles. La. La. La. Nope. Wait, what are the other ones? La, las, el, los. Bingo, saved by El Salvador.

Quemars proved very good, and then supremely bad, at finding DDs in the second round. It looked like he was intentionally avoiding them, going in the same row briefly, then coming back to the first category. In his defense, he nearly ran the category where it would have been impossible to uncover a second DD, with his only flub being a buzzer beater. Plus, with him being a distant third, building the bank before the DD is a good strategy, I guess.

Not sure what his bid on the last DD was all about. Tie the leader? Naw. He's already going to drop to third place if he gets it wrong. At the very least, tack on an extra $100, just in case the final two clues either split, TS, or go to Ashleigh. Even better, tack on enough to lock in first if you win, even if it makes your third place position on a loss slightly (but not significantly) weaker. Granted, it's tough to crank out the math to get $4100 on stage, so I won't fault him for that...but don't go for the tie!
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:00 pm
Who is Norman Mailer? Because that's who I answered with instead of Norman Lear.
I said Norman Fell, so you have company in the Wrong Normans Club.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mungar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:20 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:00 pm
I said Norman Fell, so you have company in the Wrong Normans Club.
I said Carl Reiner. :oops: *mutters under breath* Stupid HBO documentary about old comedians.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

A fryer is a kind of chicken, no?

Rhode Island also borders New York; and Michigan borders both Illinois and Minnesota, although Alex did specify land borders when he introduced the category.

Insta get f J. How could it be any easier than that? I just thought of the most basic Spanish article and it led me directly to the correct answer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Somebody had to win, and it was a sole solve so all the prior silliness is moot. Quemars came out firing and guessing. It's looks like a dog but it's not? Bull! He pulled off the bottom box DD to start FJ and clawed back until...

I started with the feminine article, hit "La Scala", nope, that's an opera or something, better get that out of the buffer, switch to the masculine and come back. But El (blank) (blank) (blank) became El Salvador quickly and done. I could have gridlocked on the La (blank) if I hadn't hit the abort button due to the bad start.

I pretty much know my US states with my right brain, but that border category was more challenging than I expected for it's puzzle solving requirements. I'd have never pulled Rhode Island, even in FJ time, and even though I just passed through it a couple of years ago.

It will be surreal to see Jesse back to the empty studio whenever the hell he shows up again on the boob tube.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:39 pm My only real hiccup was saying Madeira instead of Porto when asked for a Portuguese city famous for its wine. Anyone else make the same mistake?
Pretty sure it's not a city, so, no.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:48 pm I just thought of the most basic Spanish article and it led me directly to the correct answer.
If el is the most basic, which is the least basic?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:00 am
floridagator wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:48 pm I just thought of the most basic Spanish article and it led me directly to the correct answer.
If el is the most basic, which is the least basic?
This seems to be a hostile question, but I will answer anyway since we're probably done with games for this season and who knows how long. In learning a language, the masculine article will probably be taught before the feminine. So someone learning Spanish with probably learn El before la; someone learning French would learn le before la; someone learning Italian would learn il before la. Maybe only a few seconds before, but that's how those text books and dictionaries are written.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alamble wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:08 pm I understood the wording of FJ perfectly, but still passed up El Salvador because El Salvador is NOT English. Its’ official name is the Republic of El Salvador, which makes both the listing, and subsequently the wording of the clue, dicey, IMO.
I'm not following your logic. First of all it is listed as El Salvador on the un.org listing (https://www.un.org/en/member-states/#gotoE). Secondly, even if "Republic of El Salvador" is the official name that still has the Spanish article "el" in the name. Am I missing something?
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Sat May 02, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:00 pm I've lived in San Diego, went to Padres games, I know the real name of the San Diego Chicken, and I still answered "Swinging Friar".
If it's any consolation, The Famous Chicken was never an official Padres mascot (he represented KGB radio until they dropped him and he went out as a free agent) -- so at least you named the official mascot.
alamble

Post by alamble »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:52 am
alamble wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:08 pm I understood the wording of FJ perfectly, but still passed up El Salvador because El Salvador is NOT English. Its’ official name is the Republic of El Salvador, which makes both the listing, and subsequently the wording of the clue, dicey, IMO.
I'm not following your logic. First of all it is listed as El Salvador on the un.org listing (https://www.un.org/en/member-states/#gotoE). Secondly, even if "Republic of El Salvador" is the official name that still has the Spanisg article "el" in the name. Am I missing something?
Since the question specifically referenced the "English language" list on the UN's website, I assumed - incorrectly, as it turns out - that meant all the member state names were translated from their native languages to English. There are three exceptions to that rule - El Salvador, Sao Tome and Principe, and Cote d'Ivoire. The logic of why those three are listed in their native languages escapes me (especially Cote d'Ivoire, which has a very literal and easily translated name) but there ya go.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

John Boy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:34 pm Odd note: clue in this game says Priestly called oxygen "pure air." Yet in a J! quiz I took once upon a time a clue said he called it "dephlogisticated" something-or-other. That second word escapes me but the odd first word stuck I my brain pan. Anybody else heard that? and did old Joseph call it both things? BTW did he himself call it oxygen?
Yes, Priestley's term for oxygen was "dephlogisticated air", but there's one quote I can find in which he calls it "pure air". Oxygen seems to have been named by Lavoisier. (All based on quick searches.)

Priestley was an interesting guy--lots of unrelated sections in his Wikipedia entry. He was involved in religion and philosophy and was interested in electricity and optics in addition to chemistry. Interesting to me is that he apparently invented carbonated water, though others such as J.J. Schweppe saw its commercial potential.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'll join those who say the FJ was confusingly worded. I did get it right, so this isn't sour grapes. But it wasn't until I hit on the right response that I was able to re-parse the clue and understand how El Salvador fit. I initially thought "English-language list of member states" meant "list of member states with English as a primary language". Thus when I thought of El Salvador, I almost drove right by. But something made me stop and look at the clue again. I guess that's a good thing since a lot of my misses come from not doing that.

I later had the same thought as mas3cf that Belize could also count as correct since it has a Spanish-language article "in" its name. Jeopardy! does do wordplay clues, so I don't think they can rule that out as obviously not what they meant. I suppose they could argue that the usual language in that case would be that the Spanish-language article is "contained in" its name. But that's a rather fine distinction to make when they routinely take phrasing shortcuts to fit a clue into their character-number constraints.

Of course, as mas3cf further points out, there are plenty of other countries that meet the criterion of having a Spanish-language article buried somewhere in the name--most notably every country that ends in -land. (Is Ireland the only one with TWO such articles? That would be a wicked uber-TOC level FJ if so.)

So there's no single correct response under the "contained in" interpretation. They could argue that a contestant should realize that and thus rule out the interpretation entirely. But that's a little dicey. There are plenty of clues where you come up with the one response you know fits and use it with confidence. You take their word for it that there aren't any others. And Belize is an attractive guess. It's the only English-language (speaking) country in a Spanish-language area. But it's accidentally got a Spanish-language article tucked away inside. Good for you! You spotted the trick! I totally get how someone could go down that path and feel they'd done a good FJ's work and put the light pen down.

I guess Quemars doesn't need to be invited back (though arguably if the FJ had been a completely different non-confusing clue, Jesse would have choked and Quemars would have won). But I think they should give him an extra $1000 for the 2nd place he would have taken.