Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by sarisson »

And I have a DE of .000, thanks to (make sure you're sitting down) back-to-back 9(5)-9(5) ties. I've had 9(5)'s before, and I've given up 9(5)'s, but I can't remember ever doing both in the same game until now. I'm already halfway to my UfPA total from the entire LL80 season!
Hoping for a third lap
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two days and only two 2-0s, with everyone else having a tie or loss already. Only 20 in the rundle though. I got 3 for Iowa. :lol: My ART is only .464, but still.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I would have told you with 100% certainty that the Effigy Mounds were in Ohio before yesterday. Turns out I had them conflated with the Hopewell Culture NHP, which does include earthen mounds. (I think you were "supposed" to get that question from the American Gothic House, but my brain stopped reading the question before I got that far.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am (I think you were "supposed" to get that question from the American Gothic House, but my brain stopped reading the question before I got that far.)
That's the only reason I got it. Never would have guessed Iowa otherwise.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 am
teapot37 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am (I think you were "supposed" to get that question from the American Gothic House, but my brain stopped reading the question before I got that far.)
That's the only reason I got it. Never would have guessed Iowa otherwise.
I wasn't familiar with any of the sites, but Czech/Slovak and Amana said Midwest, so I guessed Illinois. Didn't remember that (appliance manufacturer) Amana HQ was specifically in Iowa.

D'Oh! Never crossed my mind that American Gothic House meant "American Gothic" House; I was thinking Gothic, as in Notre Dame de Paris or Lisbeth Salander. Still, that wouldn't have necessarily placed it in Iowa for me.

My first thought on kyphosis/literary character was Richard III..... but that made no sense for the Latin/Sunday after Easter connection. Ah... Quasimodo, so that must be the origin of his name.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

First 2 days have been right up my alley, with a 8(5)-6(5) win on MD1 and a 9(6)-7(5) (sorry KendallDH) yesterday. Should've had back to back beers, though, if only I'd thought of Anna & the King--brain farted on that one, especially since I've been to a house in Thailand that that king had built.

In 2nd in the rundle despite having 10 CAA through 2 days down in C.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Didn’t Jeopardy feature the American Gothic house on the show the night before this LL? I won my match by correctly analyzing my opponent’s relative weakness. At the last minute I changed the Rock Hudson value from 1 to 2 pts & I ended up winning by one!
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 pm What's different about Minnesota's version?
It's the correct version.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:01 am Two days and only two 2-0s, with everyone else having a tie or loss already. Only 20 in the rundle though. I got 3 for Iowa. :lol: My ART is only .464, but still.
I may have guessed correctly regardless, but it certainly helped that the American Gothic house was mentioned as being in Iowa a day or two prior on Jeopardy!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And I have now tied my D record so i have, at least, 31 wins in each of A, B, C and D. My goal from -last- season is finally accomplished :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I never thought of Quasimodo; I didn't know what kyphosis or the Sunday after Easter was, so all I had to go on was "literary character with a malady and a Latinate name." If I'd thought of Quasimodo I probably would have picked him, but in the end I submitted Albus Dumbledore, thinking maybe a phrase translating to "white Sunday" could be related to Whitsunday (something I'd heard of but didn't know what it was), and maybe Dumbledore suffered from something I wasn't aware of. I don't think it was a horrible guess, given that Whitsunday does mean "white Sunday" and is a specific number of weeks after Easter (being Pentecost Sunday), but wrong is wrong. Now if the clue had given the meaning of "Quasimodo," I would have gotten it right.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

WARNING! Be careful about switching between the old site and new site between pulling up the current questions and submitting. I pulled up the questions on my laptop and then decided to look at them on my cellphone to see how they looked. I then used my cellphone to also look at today's questions. But then I used my cellphone to switch to the new site. I went back to my laptop (which was still on the old site), put my answers in and submitted. When I did, the new site came up with all of my answers blank. And they seem to be nowhere to be found. I have contacted Thorsten to see what (if anything) can be done.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:04 pm I never thought of Quasimodo; I didn't know what kyphosis or the Sunday after Easter was, so all I had to go on was "literary character with a malady and a Latinate name." If I'd thought of Quasimodo I probably would have picked him, but in the end I submitted Albus Dumbledore, thinking maybe a phrase translating to "white Sunday" could be related to Whitsunday (something I'd heard of but didn't know what it was), and maybe Dumbledore suffered from something I wasn't aware of. I don't think it was a horrible guess, given that Whitsunday does mean "white Sunday" and is a specific number of weeks after Easter (being Pentecost Sunday), but wrong is wrong. Now if the clue had given the meaning of "Quasimodo," I would have gotten it right.
Ditto all this.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Lefty wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:04 pm I never thought of Quasimodo; I didn't know what kyphosis or the Sunday after Easter was, so all I had to go on was "literary character with a malady and a Latinate name." If I'd thought of Quasimodo I probably would have picked him, but in the end I submitted Albus Dumbledore, thinking maybe a phrase translating to "white Sunday" could be related to Whitsunday (something I'd heard of but didn't know what it was), and maybe Dumbledore suffered from something I wasn't aware of. I don't think it was a horrible guess, given that Whitsunday does mean "white Sunday" and is a specific number of weeks after Easter (being Pentecost Sunday), but wrong is wrong. Now if the clue had given the meaning of "Quasimodo," I would have gotten it right.
Ditto all this.
Adding to my perplexity is that quasi modo is not the most recognizable Latinate phrase. All I had to go on was the osis suffix, which at times indicates enlargement of something. I went with Charles Bovary, thinking of his clubfoot.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was at sea on this question too, so fittingly I put Santiago from the Old Man and the Sea.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Quasimodo on a guess after considering Dr. Jeckyl and the Incredible Hulk. Iowa played a lot harder than I expected. I assigned zero and got three for it. Managed a 7(4)-1(2) victory. My misses were Serbia/Slovenia and Swan Lake.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 pm I got Quasimodo on a guess after considering Dr. Jeckyl and the Incredible Hulk. Iowa played a lot harder than I expected. I assigned zero and got three for it. Managed a 7(4)-1(2) victory. My misses were Serbia/Slovenia and Swan Lake.
I was gifted 3 for Iowa, but I had a 9(6) so no harm no foul. I defended it as an art question, assuming that the Amana colonies were less well known to the country at large than they are around here. (They're a major supplier of beef to the Hy-Vee grocery store chain, among others. Or at least, as I just learned, they used to be.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 pm I got Quasimodo on a guess after considering Dr. Jeckyl and the Incredible Hulk. Iowa played a lot harder than I expected. I assigned zero and got three for it. Managed a 7(4)-1(2) victory. My misses were Serbia/Slovenia and Swan Lake.
I was gifted 3 for Iowa, but I had a 9(6) so no harm no foul. I defended it as an art question, assuming that the Amana colonies were less well known to the country at large than they are around here. (They're a major supplier of beef to the Hy-Vee grocery store chain, among others. Or at least, as I just learned, they used to be.)
Well, you're not wrong, it was more an art question, you just picked the wrong art. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 pm
If he had stopped at Amana, I still get it right.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

When I was growing up, one set of my grandparents lived near Iowa City, and when we would visit them, there were sometimes "threats" that we would take a day trip to the Amana colonies. Or the Herbert Hoover presidential library. I don't remember actually going to either one.