Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by econgator »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:00 am I think I will just accept my 2nd relegation in as many seasons.
Or not...

Three straight days with 3 correct, but each was a win. So long as I don't forfeit today, I cannot drop into relegation.
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:52 am I was floored that 50% thought the Great Salt Lake is larger than Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
I'd say that most of that 50% couldn't name any other "Great" lakes and decided that some answer is better than no answer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Welp, nothing I can do to avoid being relegated...stupid monkey's paw. My fault was making my entire goal to pass my D-rundle win total. Nothing about not getting relegated.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

jjwaymee wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:46 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:52 am I was floored that 50% thought the Great Salt Lake is larger than Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
I'd say that most of that 50% couldn't name any other "Great" lakes and decided that some answer is better than no answer.
I thought the two lakes were Great Salt & Great Slave. I actually put down the first and was about to submit my answers but my tile guy who is doing a big job had some questions for me which took up a lot of time so I had to fill my answers in later on & I put in Great Slave instead. Imagine my surprise when Salt wasn’t the other answer!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

For me it was about a few things. When reading the question as written, it fooled me in to thinking Great Salt Lake was bigger than Erie or Ontario, which made me think "I didn't realize that, but if Thorston has it, it must be true."

I thought about Slave, then remembered Bear is also Great, while also thinking of Champlain, but quickly realizing Champlain isn't "Great".

Not wanting to lose a 50/50 on Slave/Bear, I went with Salt.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Good point. Although wasn't there a question about Great Bear and Great Slave Lakes just a few seasons ago?

edit: yes, in 2018 https://learnedleague.com/question.php?76&6&6
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 pm Good point. Although wasn't there a question about Great Bear and Great Slave Lakes just a few seasons ago?

edit: yes, in 2018 https://learnedleague.com/question.php?76&6&6
Wow, this was quite recent! Surprising to see that both of these questions got a 24% correct rate leaguewide. The possibility of Great Salt Lake really threw people.

Was surprised today by how many managed to get prisoner's dilemma, which I was completely thrown off by... I assumed the answer would be something specific to price-setting and oligopoly, and I couldn't come up with anything. (I can see in retrospect how the description is prisoner's dilemma-y, of course...)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ilcap wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:37 pm Was surprised today by how many managed to get prisoner's dilemma, which I was completely thrown off by... I assumed the answer would be something specific to price-setting and oligopoly, and I couldn't come up with anything. (I can see in retrospect how the description is prisoner's dilemma-y, of course...)
Same here. Also the bit about "referencing the hypothetical individuals" made me think there were two names referenced. I just made up something called the Smith-Jones Dilemma. :D
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Also went with Smith Jones but had little hope. On the reveal, Prisoner's dilemma makes perfect sense, good clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mrparadise wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:55 pm On the reveal, Prisoner's dilemma makes perfect sense, good clue.
I don't know about perfect sense, but you can make it make sense. I know Tucker is the guy who came up with it, so that at least got me on the right track.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought of the prisoners' dilemma, but I was thrown by the framing of it as two people who don't know how the other is pricing a commodity—I was only familiar with it in the literal prisoner scenario where two people who don't know what the other is choosing have to make a binary decision (hence "dilemma," although I did end up still using that word in my BS answer). Having the decision as setting a price made it more complex than what I thought the prisoners' dilemma was.

edit: before I realized a plural noun would fit the question, I also came up with "Smith-Jones dilemma."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MD24 Q2. WORLD HIST - What is the name given to the rebellion in southern China that lasted from 1850 to 1864 and aimed to overthrow the Qing dynasty and usher in a "Heavenly Kingdom of Great Peace"?
Well, I knew it wasn't the Boxer Rebellion but what else could it be? I didn't want to leave it blank, so I took a WAG with "Jade Rebellion" ( a non-event apparently!)

Looking back on the season, my best (not funny but still wrong) answer was Panocean. When in doubt, go for the obvious! ;)

It appears relegation will be avoided! #IsurvivedATaiga
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, why would I ever have heard of those bridges? Or been able to put them in Vancouver?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A hearty congratulations to Boson for his MagA victory, his first ever!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:52 am So, why would I ever have heard of those bridges? Or been able to put them in Vancouver?
So, I lived in Vancouver for 5 years, which got it for me, but I think some knowledge of the city makes it guessable. The Lions Gate bridge is the iconic depression-era suspension bridge from Stanley park across to North Vancouver. It is Canada's answer to the Golden Gate bridge. Granville is the main north-south street through downtown, and the Fraser river empties into the ocean at Vancouver.

Why would you have knowledge of that city? It is beautiful there - when the border opens again, take a trip!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:57 am A hearty congratulations to Boson for his MagA victory, his first ever!
Thanks! I made my learned league flag into a car window mounted thing, and I'm driving across town honking my horn.

Congrats to the other jboardies who qualified for the championship!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:52 am So, why would I ever have heard of those bridges? Or been able to put them in Vancouver?
It helps a lot if you lived there for a decade and worked as a traffic reporter for a while.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

boson wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 am
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:57 am A hearty congratulations to Boson for his MagA victory, his first ever!
Thanks! I made my learned league flag into a car window mounted thing, and I'm driving across town honking my horn.

Congrats to the other jboardies who qualified for the championship!
It's just nuts that I hung on to finish third in Horizon A and qualify. It took a confluence of shattering my previous record for TCA, extremely solid defense, low CAA and even then Blue Lion was right there nipping at my heels with his torrid finish of seven wins in a row.

I'd love to make the cut after Round 2 but that's probably a bridge too far. I'll just enjoy the experience.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to boson!

I ended the season with a forfeit win and finished in 9th place in my rundle. I think that I was kind of lucky, as my MPD to end the season was -8.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Are you trying to take a page from TPH's book? :D

I figured this one would be hard for people who have never been to Vancouver or at least live fairly close to the area. It was my defensive three pointer since my opponent was from the east coast.

I ended up the season in fourth place and got a six-pack yesterday, so I'm pretty happy with the season. It would have been nice to get in the top three and qualify for the championship, but alas.