Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by ouachiouat »

https://learnedleague.com/hist/awards/85.php

Here are the top 5 BWAs. The winner would've been much better, in my eyes, had it been only a single word (since that's what the question asked for). Thought the one that got 2nd was really creative, and was my favorite out of the top 5.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:46 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 am
econgator wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:57 am
Volante wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 am
Didn't the BWA duty get crowdsourced this time?
Yes. They still picked one of the lamest ones to win, though.
They can't all be winners, but still a better ratio this time.
I voted (well, would have; I was too late to do so) for the ones that came in 3rd and 4th, so they weren't all bad. My first choice was New York City Apartment for Barn.
are the results of the voting up yet?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:12 pm
Speaking of up -- look up. ;)
ouachiouat wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:47 pm

Here are the top 5 BWAs. The winner would've been much better, in my eyes, had it been only a single word (since that's what the question asked for). Thought the one that got 2nd was really creative, and was my favorite out of the top 5.
Agreed. At least "Floridaman" would have fit the question better. That said, I'm with you that Vth/IIIrd was far more clever and I also thought that the better choice than OOPS was MDET (Maybe don't eat that) as it gave both a 4-letter abbreviation and what it stood for.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:16 pm
triviawayne wrote:
ouachiouat wrote:

Agreed. At least "Floridaman" would have fit the question better. That said, I'm with you that Vth/IIIrd was far more clever and I also thought that the better choice than OOPS was MDET (Maybe don't eat that) as it gave both a 4-letter abbreviation and what it stood for.
I do try and look up every season , but can never find these
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
ouachiouat wrote:

Agree with you on all points. MDET had me guffawing, a rare thing for a BWA.

classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Woof wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 am
econgator wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
ouachiouat wrote:

Agree with you on all points. MDET had me guffawing, a rare thing for a BWA.
I loved the 1985 Delorean for being unearthed in 1873...

Also congrats to the 12FootBoy for being the 77th unluckiest Llama in Season 85!

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
ouachiouat wrote:

Another vote for Vth/IIIrd. That one was very clever!

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Also congrats to the 12FootBoy for being the 77th unluckiest Llama in Season 85!
I only got 77th? Is this a real thing? I noticed how my Correct Answers Allowed (this should be "against" as noted earlier) was an outlier in my lowly D rundle. I even did the math and it was about 2.5 standard deviations up (or down?) the bell curve, so that isn't improbable, just rare. Ironically, two of my sibs in the rookie rundle went 2nd and 3rd as well. I guess players get their game mojo against us poor 1-room schoolhouse rural hicks. We just need more questions about possums and gunny sacks I guess :lol:.

I will be creating the JVBoard private rundle soon, and anybody is welcome to hop in if you don't mind 3 more twelvefootsibs as cannon fodder. It's all about the questions for us, and the point assignment and results are just a little sauce on the edges.

My fave BWA was the barn as a NYC apartment :D
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:42 am
classicroadster wrote:

I only got 77th? Is this a real thing? I noticed how my Correct Answers Allowed (this should be "against" as noted earlier) was an outlier in my lowly D rundle. I even did the math and it was about 2.5 standard deviations up (or down?) the bell curve, so that isn't improbable, just rare.
Yes it is: https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11980. Interesting statistics, personally I was pretty much right in the middle. Anyone who listens to the learned lag podcast, StankowG was 21st unluckiest which makes sense given his TCA and CAA.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:59 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:42 am
classicroadster wrote:

I only got 77th? Is this a real thing? I noticed how my Correct Answers Allowed (this should be "against" as noted earlier) was an outlier in my lowly D rundle. I even did the math and it was about 2.5 standard deviations up (or down?) the bell curve, so that isn't improbable, just rare.
Yes it is: https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11980. Interesting statistics, personally I was pretty much right in the middle. Anyone who listens to the learned lag podcast, StankowG was 21st unluckiest which makes sense given his TCA and CAA.
Wow, thanks for sharing this. I am in the 99.6th percentile in unlucky bastardness. That with my 17th percentile in defense makes me a day off for my opponents. Just have your cat walk on the keyboard when MearesK shows up on the schedule :lol: . All your coin flips will go your way :).

It is genetic, my sister had the worst luck in the R Taiga at 8th percentile. FWIW, I was about 80th percentile (in a good way) in LL84, so it is just random. My bottom fifth in defense is something I have to work on.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.