Monday, May 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, May 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 pm Why does anyone do that record only new episodes thing? Have your PVR record every weekday at the time Jeopardy is on.
FWIW, I have it set to record all episodes, and it just didn't want to record this one. Strangely, it's set to record tomorrow's just fine.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:12 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 pm Why does anyone do that record only new episodes thing? Have your PVR record every weekday at the time Jeopardy is on.
FWIW, I have it set to record all episodes, and it just didn't want to record this one. Strangely, it's set to record tomorrow's just fine.
The same thing happened to me. I saw it was not recording so I watched live. The episode was marked as "new" on my cable guide/listings. Tomorrow's is also set to record but I will monitor closely.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:26 pm What was the TOM for "Venus" at $400? I saw nothing in the clue to narrow it down.
I know there's an answer in the special thread, but this is worth knowing in general. English adjectives from Latin nouns are often formed off the genitive rather than the nominative form. Venus in Latin becomes Veneris in the genitive singular. Hence, the adjective meaning "of or relating to Venus" is venereal. The same thing happens with Jupiter who, in the genitive is Jovis (or Iovis). So the adjective for Jupiter-like is jovial and the moons of Jupiter are Jovian moons. Mars becomes Martis in the genitive which is how we get Martian instead of Marsian. Not every Latin noun pulls this stunt (the genitive of Neptune is Neptunis, which produces the adjective Neptunian exactly as you'd expect) but many do. Once you realize this, you can start noticing and connecting the ones that change.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:30 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:42 am Federalist Papers for me. I didn't even realize it was wrong until you made your post. Request for poll, please.
Federalist Papers for me too. Saw that it was numbered and stopped looking for other options. Second the poll request.
I started with Federalist Papers but kept thinking. Ended up switching to The Articles of THE Confederation. Judges?
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon May 18, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

For those whose DVRs failed them:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JiR4n ... Lyh92woWh7

I posted this in its own thread as well for those who don't want to check this thread for fear of spoilers.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:38 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:42 am Federalist Papers for me. I didn't even realize it was wrong until you made your post. Request for poll, please.
Federalist Papers for me too. Saw that it was numbered and stopped looking for other options. Second the poll request.
I started with Federalist Papers but kept thinking. Ended up switching to The Articles of THE Confederation. Judges?
That's a negative. One article too many.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:47 pm
So it's definite?
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

My brain seems to be shot today - of COURSE I went with "chloroquine" (no hydroxy, because I wanted the older version of the drug) instead of quinine in the anti-malarial drug, despite knowing approximately when this episode was taped, and that it would have been before malaria drug mania.

And in the brain fog category - that corporate scandals category had stuff I'd definitely heard about and knew - but whatever response they were looking for completely flew from my mind. Yes, there's a woman who was in charge of a company that took tiny bits of blood and falsely claimed to run tests...but the name of the company? Ugh. Give it to me, and I can give you the story, but not vice versa.

Nice get for me with Tierra del Fuego - Jeopardy! is a flat circle, and I had just watched one of the first season episodes where they had (virtually) the same clue. "I'm learnding!" - Ralph Wiggum.

Tokyo Drift seemed a little easy for bottom row clue - I say this as someone who knows popular movies, but has NEVER seen any movie with both the words "fast" and "furious" in the title. About all I know about the series is The Rock, Vin Diesel, and Paul Walker, and a few of the film titles if appropriately primed, which the word "Japan" did.

I saw "Up" (I'm a sucker for any Pixar movie), but had NEVER heard of Up-guy's wife's name. In fact, I don't know Up-guy's name. Or the fat kid's name. Or the dog's name. Granted, I've only seen the movie once, and I don't have any younglings around to force me to re-watch it ad nauseam.

Final should have been easy, but I just wasn't in the headspace to think. I knew Bill of Rights was wrong, and I specifically knew it was wrong because it would have been the second amendment. But my lazy brain had nothing. I knew that the Articles of Confederation were the precursor to the constitution, but, frankly, was too mentally fogged to get it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Volante wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:47 pm
So it's definite?
It was accepted as correct in the 2013 Teachers Tourney. I'd say you're fine.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgamerespon ... me_id=4349
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:09 pm Robert Moses was primarily an official of New York state, not city. He built public Works projects from Niagara to The Hamptons. He was given the honorary title of New York City Park commissioner after he had already been State Park commissioner for 20 years.
Moses was City Parks Commissioner from 1934 to 1960. He was chair of the New York State Council of Parks starting in 1924.
https://www.nycgovparks.org/about/history/commissioners

I didn't have any confusion over the right response for FJ. I think of the Federalist Papers as persuasive. The quotation was prescriptive - more like a law.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:15 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:52 pm I started with Federalist Papers but kept thinking. Ended up switching to The Articles of THE Confederation. Judges?
It was accepted as correct in the 2013 Teachers Tourney. I'd say you're fine.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgamerespon ... me_id=4349
I always knew I liked you.

And to anyone who said my response wasn't acceptable...

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I was ambushed by this as a regular game, expecting the teachers today. I was looking forward to a surreal episode with no audience, but the producers took the safe route. Jesse has the distinction of being the only (?) player to know the different vibe from playing in front of a live audience and no audience (same as a dead one?).

I liked Megan's breadth of knowledge and was surprised at the FJ miss, as I am with the early posting boardies. I know the first thirteen words of the Second Amendment, unlike most NRA types, so it was obviously inspired by the predecessor AofC. I don't recall why the AofC melted down so quickly but I suspect it comes down to owning people and MAGA. Pretty easy FJ, but with some doubt.

I loved the Earth question, but not as a DD in a "Planets" category as TPH has expressed. If you embed that the Earth's diameter is ~8000 miles, then the Circumference easily estimates to about 25,000 miles (D X Pi), Time zones and longitude just fall into place with nice round numbers. Approx 1000 miles per hour rotational velocity, 15 degrees of longitude per hour (360 / 24). You reduce the distance numbers gradually moving up the latitudes, but they are good for guesstimating.

Congrats to Ben, he went to hell and back for the win. I hope he has that Beluga caviar that Alex suggested.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:11 pm I saw "Up" (I'm a sucker for any Pixar movie), but had NEVER heard of Up-guy's wife's name. In fact, I don't know Up-guy's name. Or the fat kid's name. Or the dog's name. Granted, I've only seen the movie once, and I don't have any younglings around to force me to re-watch it ad nauseam.
If you ever get the urge to have your feels ground to a pulp, go rewatch the first 10 minutes of Up.

And apparently people use the extra 'the' often enough in "Articles of Confederation" when referring to it, despite the document itself not having it... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:08 am I loved the Earth question, but not as a DD in a "Planets" category as TPH has expressed. If you embed that the Earth's diameter is ~8000 miles, then the Circumference easily estimates to about 25,000 miles (D X Pi), Time zones and longitude just fall into place with nice round numbers. Approx 1000 miles per hour rotational velocity, 15 degrees of longitude per hour (360 / 24). You reduce the distance numbers gradually moving up the latitudes, but they are good for guesstimating.
And it helps that Venus was already used.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 pmHave your PVR record every weekday at the time Jeopardy is on.
On the West Coast, where the show is not always on at the same time, this would require a lot more "babysitting" than the unusual situation that caused today's episode to not automatically record.

That situation is that many DVRs thought they'd already recorded this episode two weeks ago, when many listings services incorrectly had the rerun of Ken Jennings's first episode listed as a new episode. (DVR software is typically coded to only record the same episode once in a 28-day period, even if set for "all episodes," to account for shows that may be repeated several times within a week or month.)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, May 18, 2020 Final Wager

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote: Since this has come up multiples times, there is statistically no difference in wagering either $0 or $1 from Megan’s position. Any other wager greatly reduces winning chances partially because 2nd place doesn’t always wager everything.
Except in this case, Ben telegraphed that he knew exactly what he had to do. When he saw the scores at the end of DJ, he let out an audible reaction.

Besides that, as long as she risks less than $8000, Megan only has to deal with one opponent when making her wager. And that one opponent must get it correct for her to lose.
So for me in that situation, I'm putting down $7999 unless it's a category I loath, in which case I'll risk a tie-breaker.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Tokyo Drift, Street Fighting Man, and Theranos.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Martin, Pomegranate, (Earth), Intelligentsia, (Beluga), God Save the Queen, Mount Aconcagua, Bogota
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, May 18, 2020 Final Wager

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:43 am
Golf wrote: Since this has come up multiples times, there is statistically no difference in wagering either $0 or $1 from Megan’s position. Any other wager greatly reduces winning chances partially because 2nd place doesn’t always wager everything.
Except in this case, Ben telegraphed that he knew exactly what he had to do. When he saw the scores at the end of DJ, he let out an audible reaction.
That doesn't mean anything, other than he knows it's not a runaway.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

trainman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:18 am
floridagator wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 pmHave your PVR record every weekday at the time Jeopardy is on.
On the West Coast, where the show is not always on at the same time, this would require a lot more "babysitting" than the unusual situation that caused today's episode to not automatically record.

That situation is that many DVRs thought they'd already recorded this episode two weeks ago, when many listings services incorrectly had the rerun of Ken Jennings's first episode listed as a new episode. (DVR software is typically coded to only record the same episode once in a 28-day period, even if set for "all episodes," to account for shows that may be repeated several times within a week or month.)
This is good information. As usual, my U-Verse DVR is doing its own thing. The episodes it taped for the past two weeks included 8 labeled Teachers Touranment before finally getting the memo and correctly showing Thursday and Friday as Greatest of All Time and Ken's 75th. But still it was not planning to record this week's games despite them being marked with this week's dates as first airing and clearly not being labeled as the Teacher's Tournament games it already thinks it recorded two weeks ago. Very bizarre but luckily I checked over the weekend and caught it so I was able to manually record this week's games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I happened to watch this episode live but I just checked and it didn’t record. I switched from having it record just new episodes to all episodes a couple weeks ago. But it is scheduled for today and going forward. But next week’s games are not labeled as being teacher games.