Wednesday, May 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC TV EPISODES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"I Love Lucy" used the French word "enceinte" in a 1952 episode title because CBS didn’t want this word used

Ben Scripps: 5200+601=5801
Nathan Berger: 11800+199=11999 (New Champ)
Rachel Keen: 5800-1000=4800

Correct response:
Spoiler
pregnant (Rachel – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Nathan: 800-800
Ben: 7400+2000
Ben: 9800-4600

Coryats
Ben: 8600
Nathan: 12600
Rachel: 5800

Combined: 27,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ben: 7400
Nathan: 2600
Rachel: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Just because John & Jill Q. Public could not attend does not mean the seats were empty. 6 feet distance? Nope.
Spoiler
DD3 was hiding with the potential to switch things around and the tension increased with each late selection. Ben finally found it on clue 29.

Nathan had 13800, Ben was at 9800 and Rachel had 5800.
Ben lost 4600 to give Nathan a runaway.

Too bad Ben never saw (or did not recall) this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Y3gO8rlVI

Not so fast as Nathan negged the final $2000 clue when the buzzer should have put away. Suddenly the lock could be broken. Guess something, anything. Nope, Ben & Rachel let the round end with no rebound attempt.

If you go on J! you might want to be able to match Remarque to his famous work that J! likes. A lot! That should not go to Alex to give the correct response.

The FJ! category had me try five precalls. I was working too hard as my first thought was on the mark for the correct show. Like the gentlemen, think time and the music were not necessary to have the right word.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The archive is updated: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6655

Double digit TS clues and double digit W for just another day at the office. Thanks to clipping a number of Nathan's "What"s and such all 61 clues were seen.

Nearly half of Nathan's total for the FJ! round came from four gets in the Oscars category.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Any lambastes of the official website's listing of Nathan as a "restauranteur"?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran German Animal Names and "End", but was 0/5 in Out of Their League.

"Haiphong" sounds like it could be literally anywhere in Asia. I WAGged China.

"Colón" was also MASSIVE negbait for Colombia. I don't see how you're supposed to get Panama from that.

Hat category played weird for me with right, wrong, right, wrong, right.

Didn't recognize anything in Consecutive Oscar Nominations for $400.

I found the Scrabble category tough, which is unusual for me in a word category.

A word that censors didn't want in an episode of I Love Lucy? Must be "pregnant".

Lach Trash: foxy. Also got the "mosquito" DD
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They had a similar FJ category not too long ago. An Instaget for me, of course. I had always thought that word was Spanish.

It was controversial at the time but it didn’t hurt the show. Just getting her to appear on TV with a Cuban husband (even though she was really married to him) took some doing.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $37,000 (45R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Brainfarted on Pecos Bill and guessed Sam Bass. :? Missed $2k in LT by clamming on "gnome."

Saw the word "enceinte" and somehow connected it to "pregnant" through Spanish, even though the Spanish word is "embarazada." I looked it up and "enceinte" is apparently an archaic Spanish word for pregnant, but I can tell you that archaic Spanish is not my area of expertise, so I don't know where I pulled that from. That aside, they could have put the Azerbaijani word and it would have been easily solvable from the context.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D in DDs.
Ran Alexander the Great. :geek:
Had jest for quip. That's only 11 points. :ugeek:
Couldn't get FJ directly from the French, but given what is known about " I Love Lucy", it was easy to deduce pregnant as the correct response. :mrgreen:
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

I was waiting for them to come back after the second break and take the DD from Ben. As far as I know it is a tricorn hat not a tri corner hat.

For Colon, after blurting out Columbia, I remembered Panama.

Speaking of Panama, I thought the Hat category was fairly easy.

I might have guessed Spalding Gray if they used Monster in a Box in the clue. I recognized his photo but the name did not emerge.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:19 pm Any lambastes of the official website's listing of Nathan as a "restauranteur"?
That reminds me of the show's creative spelling of that word in this 2016 clue:
restaurauteur.png
restaurauteur.png (119.24 KiB) Viewed 14021 times
I still can't decide if that was done on purpose. I'm not sure I would classify Arnold as an "auteur" of the culinary arts.

ETA: This was the fourth time in the last seven months that they've had a clue about Alberta bordering British Columbia!

Code: Select all

#8218, aired 2020-05-20	PEACE TALK $800: Deriving its name from the settling of a dispute, the Peace River flows 1,200 miles across British Columbia & this province just east
#8125, aired 2019-12-27	SURROUNDED! $800: This province: by British Columbia, the Northwest Territories, Saskatchewan & Montana
#8094, aired 2019-11-14	BEASTLY NORTH AMERICAN GEOGRAPHY $400: The highest point on the Canadian Pacific Railway, Kicking Horse Pass is on the border of Alberta & this province to the west
#8074, aired 2019-10-17	LANGUAGE ISOLATES $1200: Kutenai is an isolate spoken in the Kootenay region of this Canadian province, near its eastern border with Alberta
The Archive has only two clues asking about that fact from the show's first 35 seasons! :shock:
Last edited by cheezguyty on Thu May 28, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:28 pm "Haiphong" sounds like it could be literally anywhere in Asia. I WAGged China.
Well, not the Middle East or India.

I think the "ph" narrows it to Cambodia and Vietnam, maybe Thailand.
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:19 pm Any lambastes of the official website's listing of Nathan as a "restauranteur"?
I noticed Johnny got "restaurateur" right and "sommelier" wrong and Alex the other way around.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Charming wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 pm I was waiting for them to come back after the second break and take the DD from Ben. As far as I know it is a tricorn hat not a tri corner hat.
Ditto. It's absolutely a tricorn.

Instaget FJ, and I have never watched a single episode of that show. Knew the French word cold.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R, 3/4 on big clues. I did not get FJ. I didn't have a path to the correct answer and I was stuck thinking of profanities.

I said Prairie Dog instead of Meerkat. I'm not really sure how to differentiate the two. Google Translate tells me that the German version of Prairie Dog is Präriehund. I missed quip with jest, hoax with ploy, and I almost said ibex but blanked on zebu. Ibex is a goat.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

FJ! was an instaget. Although there are different levels of knowing - I suppose you could know that there was an episode title in a foreign language, which I did not - I just knew that they always said "expecting" because of the ban on the word "pregnant". You might be able to suss out the correct response if you happen to know that Dezi Arnaz, Jr. was born around early 1953, or if you just knew that they taped while she was pregnant, but didn't do the "Claire Huxtable always carrying groceries" trick.

I managed to get "meerkat", but probably because I had just last night finally gotten to the Disney Sing-A-Long Volume 2 on my DVR. It's amazing how something random can push something to the forefront of your mind.

Is there any way that I should have picked Aristotle for Alexander's tutor, and not Socrates or Plato? The emphasis on science? Chronology? Or is this just a YEKIOYD, otherwise it's a "pick one of three, and good luck"?

Canadian provinces strike again. The six southern provinces from BC to Quebec are organized so well that it's hard to mix them up. Heck, even the next two, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, are pretty orderly. Maybe that's why Canadians are so polite? Doesn't hurt to be a hockey fan, either, unless they ask about Saskatchewan, the only one of the six without an NHL team. I'll admit, I had to think "Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers...oh, the battle of Alberta".

Incidentally, that clue is one of the things I like about J! - the clue is basically "What's east of British Columbia?", but they give you a fun fact like there's a river named the Peace River. I honestly have no idea if it's significant enough that I should know it - probably not.
Last edited by talkingaway on Wed May 20, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 pm
Charming wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 pm I was waiting for them to come back after the second break and take the DD from Ben. As far as I know it is a tricorn hat not a tri corner hat.
Ditto. It's absolutely a tricorn.

Instaget FJ, and I have never watched a single episode of that show. Knew the French word cold.
Luckily for Ben, other people are just as incorrect:
https://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Hat-Tricorner-Revolutionary-Buccaneer/dp/B007OJQBVW
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

talkingaway wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:17 pm Is there any way that I should have picked Aristotle for Alexander's tutor, and not Socrates or Plato? The emphasis on science? Chronology? Or is this just a YEKIOYD, otherwise it's a "pick one of three, and good luck"?

Canadian provinces strike again. The six southern provinces from BC to Quebec are organized so well that it's hard to mix them up. Heck, even the next two, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, are pretty orderly. Maybe that's why Canadians are so polite? Doesn't hurt to be a hockey fan, either, unless they ask about Saskatchewan, the only one of the six without an NHL team. I'll admit, I had to think "Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers...oh, the battle of Alberta".
Aristotle tutoring Alexander is used a lot in trivia. I know Alexander was the last of the three and I can remember it by thinking that Socrates was busy teaching Plato, Plato was busy teaching Aristotle, Aristotle had a bunch of free time so he tutored Alexander. It's harder for me to remember that Seneca tutored Caligula.

For the Canadian prairie provinces there is a very stupid mnemonic that works for me. "Bad Ass Super Man" to remember British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

While I learned about meerkats from The Lion King, the thing that made it stick was that my childhood dictionary didn't have an entry for "meerkat" at all. Instead they were listed under "suricate". You'd think they'd have at least put a "Meerkat -- see 'suricate'" in the M section, but nope.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:27 pm It's harder for me to remember that Seneca tutored Caligula.
A lucky thing, as it was Nero he tutored.

My Canadian province mnemonic is "baseballs are seldom made of quartz". I thought of doing something with "Bryan Adams", but I was afraid it would date.

I thought of ibex for humped ox, but it's two points too few. Also, it probably isn't a humped ox. I did get meerkat (in a different category), because I had some familiarity with the TV show "Meerkat Manor".

"Restaurateur" was one of the last words I learned how to spell, other than new words.
I'm smart and I want respect.