Friday, May 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, May 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Amazingly, I managed to correct myself on FJ after first going, "Dartmouth, Yale, Brown, Massachusetts! (writes it down. In full)...wait, that borders New York, too, so MA has to have one, and ...I've also surrounded Vermont! (crosses out Massachusetts, writes Vermont)"

Legit could not remember MA had Harvard. Darn that Sporclitis; there's always one...

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:11 pm
I was surprised they let Morgan get away with "What is using that more or less cylyndrical apparatus made of glass or plastic and with a nipple attached containing milk usually called a bottle to feed your baby?" When Alex revealed the category, he clearly said that "bottle" would be the FIRST word.
They were all wrong, the first word was what every time!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
If Shawn had clammed on every clue where he rang in and missed, he'd have had an extra $5600--that's $15800 going into FJ. That's enough for a small lockout wager against Charles that still wins him the game on the double miss by him and Morgan. Wonder if it would have played out that way or if he'd have over-wagered. If he'd over-wagered, poor Charles might actually have gotten more than the satisfaction of being the only player to get this FJ.
Charles's pre-FJ score was $8,200; he wouldn't have needed a no-neg Shawn to overwager to win.

BrigadierSolo13
Valued Contributor

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Bleh

Was 4/4 on FJ this week. Fully prepared myself during commercial break by naming off each school, their states, and which ones I thought were northernmost, southernmost, etc.

And then went with Maryland because I thought it touched Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and possibly New York. I also swapped the places of Vermont and New Hampshire in my mental map, therefore disqualifying Vermont because I knew Maine didn't have an Ivy League school.

Oh well, I'll take the miss from my couch rather than on stage.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
If Shawn had clammed on every clue where he rang in and missed, he'd have had an extra $5600--that's $15800 going into FJ. That's enough for a small lockout wager against Charles that still wins him the game on the double miss by him and Morgan. Wonder if it would have played out that way or if he'd have over-wagered. If he'd over-wagered, poor Charles might actually have gotten more than the satisfaction of being the only player to get this FJ.
Charles's pre-FJ score was $8,200; he wouldn't have needed a no-neg Shawn to overwager to win.
Agreed, it didn't have to be no-neg, but it had to be much-less-neg. Martin's pre-FJ score was $21,400 with no reason to let Charles back in the game. Charles needed Martin to have a reason to wager $5000 or more. So he needed Shawn to have at least $3000 more to give Martin that reason. Shawn's misses took away Charles's chance of winning.

bluejaylink
Contributor

Post by bluejaylink »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am

The FJ! category narrowed the map search to a small area. During the break I made sure I knew all 8 and their states. I was ready for (at least I hoped I was) for a N-E-W-S-most type clue. It being a border type puzzle threw me for a moment although it did not take long to X out the surrounding states to leave the last one standing.

If Morgan and Shawn did no ahead-of-time thinking during the break then bad on them. Players are allowed to ponder what the category might mean and start working before the clue is revealed.

The same goes for home viewers. Those who zoom from category to clue might find themselves overlooking a state they easily could have crossed off with taking a little time to warm up the Ivy League mind.
Do you know approximately how much time the contestants get between the FJ category reveal and the FJ clue reveal?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Agreed, it didn't have to be no-neg, but it had to be much-less-neg. Martin's pre-FJ score was $21,400 with no reason to let Charles back in the game. Charles needed Martin to have a reason to wager $5000 or more. So he needed Shawn to have at least $3000 more to give Martin that reason. Shawn's misses took away Charles's chance of winning.
I agree with you, but you seem to be agreeing with a point I wasn't making. I was just saying that undoing all of Shawn's negs would still leave him within reach of Charles, contrary to your original predication of a Charles victory on an overwager by Shawn. (Also, you turned Morgan into Martin in your most recent post.)

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:54 pm
Ivy League grad and geography is a wheelhouse subject, so FJ was a dream category for me.
Same here, and would have been tempted to Clavin it. It certainly wasn't something you could know, but it only took me a few seconds to figure out.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

talkingaway wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 pm
lstone19 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm
If I were a Yalie, I'd be very upset at those two.
Apparently I will NEVER stop confusing Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia. But now that I'm reading the wikis side-by-side, it's American vs British. Charlton Heston vs Peter O'Toole. And, most importantly, ancient Rome vs WWI-era...well, Arabia.

It's harder to see how you could imagine the Montreal Olympics were in 1978. Learn your divisibility rules - particularly 4s. Very handy for elections and Summer (and pre-1994 Winter) Olympics.
Ben-Hur and LoA? I never imagined it would be that hard to keep them separate in your mind. But OK, we all have those strange spots in our brains. My wife can never tell the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek (or, for that matter, Dr. Spock and Mr. Spock), which always makes me wonder how we ended up married.

And yeah, as a huge Olympics fan myself, the 1978 Montreal games answer was a huge jaw-dropper for me. Maybe he was thinking about the 1982 presidential election. :roll:

I got Vermont pretty much immediately to give me a 5-for-5 FJ week to go with the 5-for-5 just before regular-season games were briefly suspended. So I've got that going on.... :D

Philliesfan02
Contributor

Post by Philliesfan02 »

This was quite a game by my standards.

In the J! round, I got all but Jutland in WORLD FACTS and went 3/5 in two other categories for 14 R 1 W.

However, in DJ! I ran three categories (PHYSICS, ON THE MONEY, and A 1970s YEAR), which is quite possibly a first for me. 20 correct in the round, with the only bad thing being that I guessed Umbridge for the top row clue in THAT WORD IS QUITE A CHARACTER :oops:

Overall: 34 R 2 W for a $27,800 coryat.

DDs: 3/3

FJ!: :mrgreen:

Lach Trash: Declaration of Independence, $5 Bill, 1977, 1972, 1974

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bluejaylink wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:06 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am

The FJ! category narrowed the map search to a small area. During the break I made sure I knew all 8 and their states. I was ready for (at least I hoped I was) for a N-E-W-S-most type clue. It being a border type puzzle threw me for a moment although it did not take long to X out the surrounding states to leave the last one standing.

If Morgan and Shawn did no ahead-of-time thinking during the break then bad on them. Players are allowed to ponder what the category might mean and start working before the clue is revealed.

The same goes for home viewers. Those who zoom from category to clue might find themselves overlooking a state they easily could have crossed off with taking a little time to warm up the Ivy League mind.
Do you know approximately how much time the contestants get between the FJ category reveal and the FJ clue reveal?
The break is usually as long as it is while viewing at home as the show as much as possible tapes in 30 minutes. It's possible an unexpected earlier response causes a stop tape for research or someone takes forever to figure out a wager. There are staffers hovering around doing their duties that can be distracting, but there is definitely time to work off the category to get the gears going early.

There are other shows that air 30 minutes or 60 minutes and it can take hours to complete one episode. J! is not one of them.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 am
I agree with you, but you seem to be agreeing with a point I wasn't making. I was just saying that undoing all of Shawn's negs would still leave him within reach of Charles, contrary to your original predication of a Charles victory on an overwager by Shawn. (Also, you turned Morgan into Martin in your most recent post.)
Ah. Got it.

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

John Boy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:06 am
talkingaway wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 pm
lstone19 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm
If I were a Yalie, I'd be very upset at those two.
Apparently I will NEVER stop confusing Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia. But now that I'm reading the wikis side-by-side, it's American vs British. Charlton Heston vs Peter O'Toole. And, most importantly, ancient Rome vs WWI-era...well, Arabia.

It's harder to see how you could imagine the Montreal Olympics were in 1978. Learn your divisibility rules - particularly 4s. Very handy for elections and Summer (and pre-1994 Winter) Olympics.
Ben-Hur and LoA? I never imagined it would be that hard to keep them separate in your mind. But OK, we all have those strange spots in our brains. My wife can never tell the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek (or, for that matter, Dr. Spock and Mr. Spock), which always makes me wonder how we ended up married.
I think I figured it out. They're both in "We Didn't Start the Fire", and they're both movies that I saw but haven't seen in probably 25 years.

Speaking of that, I have a theory that there's rarely a week where "We Didn't Start the Fire" doesn't have either a clue or a response on J!. Time to test that theory.

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote:
I also said bottle opener. Seems like it would have been invented right after the bottle cap.
I dunno -- my grandfather was fixing Campbell soup for lunch one time when I was about five, and he told me that he and my grandmother went hungry for a long time because canned food was invented two years before the can opener was. I didn't get the joke for another two years.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:41 pm
Bamaman wrote:
I also said bottle opener. Seems like it would have been invented right after the bottle cap.
I dunno -- my grandfather was fixing Campbell soup for lunch one time when I was about five, and he told me that he and my grandmother went hungry for a long time because canned food was invented two years before the can opener was. I didn't get the joke for another two years.
Your grandfather was joking, but cans were opened with hammers and chisels for close to fifty years after they were invented!

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (John Lewis was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Jutland Peninsula, $5 Bill, Declaration of Independence, 1974, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, La Cage aux Folles, 1977, 1972
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 131.8k games
Alpaca Farm: 1480 quizzes

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

I'm really bad with dates (the historical ones). I'm working on it, but I would have stayed clam on that entire 70s category. Nixon's resignation I should know, but I blurted out 1976

3/5 on Broadway Musicals :oops:

The Little Mermaid! ugh. Poor showing for a wheelhouse category, but TBH, I'm not big on musicals

So many "oh no!"s and "WTF"s on this game, so it makes sense 2 guys put CT for the state with no Ivy

All caught up now. My DVR is recording but sometimes the episodes don't pop up for a few days. Tablo + OTA - what do you expect for $5/month