Couple questions about two 80s clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JeuParti
Contributor

Couple questions about two 80s clues

Post by JeuParti »

Hi all,

I have a couple questions about some 80s clues, if anyone has time to enlighten me:

First question:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6435

Clue #10 for $1000:
Officially named Catalan, # of tourists each year outnumbers residents here 30 to 1

I could not identify any official reference that identifies Andorra's official name as Catalan (I know the language is Catalan). If anyone can identify a reference please let me know. As far as I could find, even in Catalan, the country is called "Principat d'Andorra"

Second question:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ort+walker+

Clue #11 for $1000

Creator of “Beetle Bailey”, whose name was defined in “B.C.” as “a dead nightcrawler”

The answer is Mort Walker, but I could not find any reference in B.C. cartoons that refer to Mort Walker as a "dead nightcrawler", and I can't identify why Johnny Hart, who wrote the B.C. cartoons, would have some kind of rivalry with Mort Walker and throw shade towards him that way. I could be misreading the clue...

Thanks in advance!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Couple questions about two 80s clues

Post by trainman »

JeuParti wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm Creator of “Beetle Bailey”, whose name was defined in “B.C.” as “a dead nightcrawler”

The answer is Mort Walker, but I could not find any reference in B.C. cartoons that refer to Mort Walker as a "dead nightcrawler", and I can't identify why Johnny Hart, who wrote the B.C. cartoons, would have some kind of rivalry with Mort Walker and throw shade towards him that way. I could be misreading the clue...
I'd guess it would have been a "Wiley's Dictionary" entry.

Technically, all syndicated cartoonists are rivals of each other, in that they're in competition for newspaper space. But they're also (mostly) friends with each other, and I read that as nothing more than a gentle jab that probably would have elicited a guffaw from Mort Walker. I wouldn't be surprised if Johnny Hart sent him the original.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

trainman wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 pm
JeuParti wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm Creator of “Beetle Bailey”, whose name was defined in “B.C.” as “a dead nightcrawler”

I'd guess it would have been a "Wiley's Dictionary" entry.
It was an entry in "The Book of Phrases":
BC_1985-08-06.png
BC_1985-08-06.png (179.63 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Wow, can't believe how quickly you found that, I thought it was super obscure. Thanks so much!
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

JeuParti wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm First question:

Clue #10 for $1000:
Officially named Catalan, # of tourists each year outnumbers residents here 30 to 1

I could not identify any official reference that identifies Andorra's official name as Catalan (I know the language is Catalan). If anyone can identify a reference please let me know. As far as I could find, even in Catalan, the country is called "Principat d'Andorra"
The current Constitution of Andorra was adopted in 1993. I was unable to locate the previous governing documents, although to be fair, I didn't try very hard. Pre-1993 means pre-Internet.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeffwolfe wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Clue #10 for $1000:

The current Constitution of Andorra was adopted in 1993. I was unable to locate the previous governing documents, although to be fair, I didn't try very hard. Pre-1993 means pre-Internet.
Previous governing documents dated from the 13th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par%C3%A9 ... rra_(1278)

That said, if someone could dig up a CIA World Factbook or a World Almanac from 1985/6... might be a better reference
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Maybe "officially named Catalan" doesn't mean what we're thinking it does. Like perhaps they meant that the country's official name is in Catalan.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:56 pm Maybe "officially named Catalan" doesn't mean what we're thinking it does. Like perhaps they meant that the country's official name is in Catalan.
Entirely possible. They were fast and loose with clue text in the early days
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Volante wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:07 pm
jeffwolfe wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Clue #10 for $1000:

Previous governing documents dated from the 13th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par%C3%A9 ... rra_(1278)

That said, if someone could dig up a CIA World Factbook or a World Almanac from 1985/6... might be a better reference
1986 World Almanac gives its long-form name as Principality of Andorra.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:56 pm Maybe "officially named Catalan" doesn't mean what we're thinking it does. Like perhaps they meant that the country's official name is in Catalan.
That works if you put 'in' before Catalan. Maybe they left it out, or maybe it was left out when it was put in the Archive.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

I choose to believe Yoda is asking about tourists/residents named Catalan.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

alietr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:44 am
Volante wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 pm
That works if you put 'in' before Catalan. Maybe they left it out, or maybe it was left out when it was put in the Archive.
The wording on the Archive matches what appeared on the show:

Andorra_clue.png
Andorra_clue.png (209.19 KiB) Viewed 5304 times

The entire BEGINS & ENDS WITH "A" category was reused in the 1990 Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary Edition video game. The wording of the Andorra clue was changed slightly, though not the part about Catalan:

Andorra_clue_VG.png
Andorra_clue_VG.png (25.57 KiB) Viewed 5304 times
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

I am in awe that you guys went to the trouble of going to the actual taped game and even checking the 1990 video game, and adding screen captures. Thank you!
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Hi all,

I'm back with another question about an old 80s game I hope to get some help with.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4089

Clue 28 for $300:

Of single family duplexes or multiple unit dwellings, what 61.8% of U.S. households occupy

This clue has me a bit confused. Isn't a duplex always a multi-family home? i have never heard of a "single-family duplex", but I understand that the word duplex can mean different things in different countries and even regions.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

JeuParti wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:15 pm Hi all,

I'm back with another question about an old 80s game I hope to get some help with.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4089

Clue 28 for $300:

Of single family duplexes or multiple unit dwellings, what 61.8% of U.S. households occupy

This clue has me a bit confused. Isn't a duplex always a multi-family home? i have never heard of a "single-family duplex", but I understand that the word duplex can mean different things in different countries and even regions.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Is it possible the Archive is missing a comma? "Of single family, duplexes or multiple unit dwellings, what 61.8% of U.S. households occupy" This would make a lot more sense, having 3 choices. Not that I'd rule out the possibility of 1986 Jeopardy! asking an "A or B" question to 3 players but it seems unusual.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:31 pm Is it possible the Archive is missing a comma? "
That'd be my guess, but then the correct response is shown as "single family (duplexes)".
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:54 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:31 pm Is it possible the Archive is missing a comma? "
That'd be my guess, but then the correct response is shown as "single family (duplexes)".
I assumed the player said single family and the Archivist added (duplexes) to complete what they presumed the response was, under the theory that either the clue writer or the Archivist inadvertantly omitted the comma. Now if it was Alex that added that part, then this theory is mostly out the window.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:50 pm
econgator wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:54 pm
I assumed the player said single family and the Archivist added (duplexes) to complete what they presumed the response was, under the theory that either the clue writer or the Archivist inadvertantly omitted the comma. Now if it was Alex that added that part, then this theory is mostly out the window.
Parentheses indicate additional info from Alex.