Wednesday, May 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAIRY TALES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A familiar chant in this fairy tale continues, "Be he alive or be he dead, I’ll grind his bones to make my bread"

Jenna Hall: 9000+7500=16500
Will Satterwhite: 22400+0=22400 (Semi-Finalist)
Lauren Schneider Lipton: 7600+6401=14001

Correct response:
Spoiler
"Jack and the Beanstalk"

Daily Doubles
Jenna: 200-1000
Will: 6200+3800
Will: 14800+1200

Coryats
Jenna: 10000
Will: 19800
Lauren: 7600

Combined: 37,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jenna: 1000
Will: 5400
Lauren: minus 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Will seemed to draw a favorable matchup and took advantage of it to cruise to a locked spot next week.

The WCs seem to be heading high with 18-16-16-14 and two games to go. This could be a tourney where a correct FJ! response but holding something back proves to be costly.

A Teachers Tournament and FAIRY TALES? Yes, please. Even in a ToC I would not be scared by the category. Today, I felt a get was all but guaranteed and was tempted to mark myself correct before I saw the clue.

Ouch if anyone does not process the clue properly and instead writes the first part of the quote.

2/5 in A HIT RECENTLY for me with no bad guesses and 5/5 for having heard of the correct responses. I'll take it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Take a look: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6667

Boo on the CCer with a double error of Connors with two Os and Sara with an H.

13 TS, so don't place Will in your finals just because of his nice ending score and ease of victory.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 am Will seemed to draw a favorable matchup and took advantage of it to cruise to a locked spot next week.

The WCs seem to be heading high with 18-16-16-14 and two games to go. This could be a tourney where a correct FJ! response but holding something back proves to be costly.
Yep, Sam's conservative wager Tuesday might come back to bite him in the ass.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Hey, everybody, here's your ticket to the semis! What is 'thanks'? FJ calibration...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guess I've never read the unabridged "Jack and the Beanstalk". Now I'm probably too old for it. I hate when that happens.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I know I'm not alone in thinking this, but these FJ wagers make absolutely no sense in the tournament format and it's driving me nuts.

How do Jenna and Lauren, as well as a few others before them this week, not realize that betting it all is the only option, ESPECIALLY when first place is a lock? Full credit to Katie on Tuesday for being the only one so far to wager properly, and as of now, it does appear she will be rewarded for it.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Kids Week FJ. That line quoted in the FJ answer always creeped me out.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :( :D on DDs. Overcomplicated Erasmus and didn't have anything before the contestant responded.
Another instaget FJ :mrgreen:
Waiting for the FJ they always have that's a good 30-50% get rate harder than the others. :?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:07 pm I know I'm not alone in thinking this, but these FJ wagers make absolutely no sense in the tournament format and it's driving me nuts.

How do Jenna and Laura, as well as a few others before them this week, not realize that betting it all is the only option, ESPECIALLY when first place is a lock? Full credit to Katie on Tuesday for being the only one so far to wager properly, and as of now, it does appear she will be rewarded for it.
Drove me nuts too today, especially with the scores where they were. I'm an over-preparer in general, and the first thing I'd learn is "What score generally gets a WC spot?" My impression is that it's around 14000, and that 10000 is rarely enough. Given that info, when you've got 9000, the clear move is to shove. If they had 11000 or 12000, I could kind of see standing pat and hoping the other FJ!s are tough, or even just making a small 1000 wager that wouldn't handicap you. The lesson: look at what happens if you win money, and look at what happens if you lose money. If losing extra money doesn't change your final outcome, you may as well bet more.

FJ! was an instawrite, but I just didn't feel comfortable. Even the cadence of "Fe fi fo fum" didn't seem to go along with the next line...but I put it down as a WECIB. Characters who get eaten are basically Jack and Little Red Riding Hood...incidentally, both characters in Sondheim's Into the Woods.

Ryan Seacrest is still hosting Idol and Live, but isn't logging the miles anymore as they said in the clue.

I precalled "bottle of rum", but as the category name after YO HO HO.

Agatha Christie...a J! favorite, but my brain was too slow. And in other bad author news for me, I made the same T.S. Eliot/C.S. Lewis error. Three more seconds and I would have been able to suss it out, but I blurted out T.S. too.

I expect the next FJ! to be a killer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The big hint in the C.S. Lewis clue was that he died in 1963. Lewis (and Aldous Huxley) died on November 22, 1963.

As you might imagine, his death didn’t get much attention in the news that week.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No one even guessing on "Canadian superstar" was a bit baffling. I wonder if they were thinking that it had to be a Canadian country singer?

(For the record, I despise that Dan + Shay/Bieber song. And it's only my second least-favorite of theirs.)

Ran Say It in French and Change a Letter.

My only 0/5 was We Have a Situation.

I knew "elver" but couldn't make the leap from "elf".

Triple brainfart on C. S. Lewis, J. D. Salinger, and George Orwell. Hate it when I blank once, but three in a row is just inexcusable.

Instaget FJ!

Lach Trash: Justin Bieber, ellipse, Post Malone, grog
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I had some cable issues this evening. Does anyone have a copy of the episode they might be able to share?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Golf

Post by Golf »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:07 pm I know I'm not alone in thinking this, but these FJ wagers make absolutely no sense in the tournament format and it's driving me nuts.

How do Jenna and Lauren, as well as a few others before them this week, not realize that betting it all is the only option, ESPECIALLY when first place is a lock? Full credit to Katie on Tuesday for being the only one so far to wager properly, and as of now, it does appear she will be rewarded for it.
Well, it happens in every tournament so you shouldn’t be too surprised. It’s no different from regular season games, most contestants don’t properly prepare and learn about wagering.

But no, you’re not alone in your thinking.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:47 pm I guess I've never read the unabridged "Jack and the Beanstalk". Now I'm probably too old for it. I hate when that happens.
If you have kids or grandkids, you can get to it that way. If not, just go to a local park and approach the kids there with a book and ask who wants to hear a story. Also works in the children's section of your local library. Let us know how it goes.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

talkingaway wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:02 pm
FJ! was an instawrite, but I just didn't feel comfortable. Even the cadence of "Fe fi fo fum" didn't seem to go along with the next line...but I put it down as a WECIB. Characters who get eaten are basically Jack and Little Red Riding Hood...incidentally, both characters in Sondheim's Into the Woods.
Hansel and Gretel are another one (or two). "Fairy tales" essentially are the genre of children as food.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:35 pm

Well, it happens in every tournament so you shouldn’t be too surprised. It’s no different from regular season games, most contestants don’t properly prepare and learn about wagering.

But no, you’re not alone in your thinking.
Do you agree that "betting it all is the only option" for contestants going into FJ in second and third place in a tournament quarterfinal?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

teapot37 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:31 pm I had some cable issues this evening. Does anyone have a copy of the episode they might be able to share?
PM sent.