Thursday, March 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Tony-Winning Musicals
These 2 back-to-back Tony winners for Best Musical (1987 & 1988) were both set in Paris.
Spoiler
What are Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera? Vijay said and La Boheme and The Producers. David said Les Miserables and ________
David Gard: $11,000-$9,000=$2,000
Vijay Iyer: $9,200-$3,000=$6,200
Jessamine Price: $5,200+$4,001=$9,201...now a 1-day champion with $9,201
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Is "lily pads" acceptable for "water lilies"?
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Once again preempted in Detroit, this time for a local lottery show.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Thanks partly to Alex talking about a contestant where you could win a safari trip to South Africa at the game reserve seen in today's Clue Crew extravaganza, five unplayed clues in DJ!(but the first round saw all 30 clues played, and Alex stopped after clue 28, the last clue in the South Africa wildlife category, to thank the South Africans for their hospitality and mention about the sweepstakes)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:Thanks partly to Alex talking about a contestant where you could win a safari trip to South Africa at the game reserve seen in today's Clue Crew extravaganza, five unplayed clues in DJ!(but the first round saw all 30 clues played, and Alex stopped after clue 28, the last clue in the South Africa wildlife category, to thank the South Africans for their hospitality and mention about the sweepstakes)
I must have missed that. I don't recall Alex saying anything about the contest during the DJ! round.

But, c'mon, 5 unplayed clues is ridiculous. And shamrock? Big Brothers/Big Sisters? And a couple of other real simple TSes...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Is "lily pads" acceptable for "water lilies"?
I would guess not. But lilies might be prompted for a BMS (at least I hope so).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

bpmod wrote: I must have missed that. I don't recall Alex saying anything about the contest during the DJ! round.

But, c'mon, 5 unplayed clues is ridiculous. And shamrock? Big Brothers/Big Sisters? And a couple of other real simple TSes...

Brian
The South Africa wildlife category was in the first round, and after the last clue in that category was played(clue 28), Alex did his spiels.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

FJ category had me cringing in terror, and justifiably so. No chance at it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:
bpmod wrote: I must have missed that. I don't recall Alex saying anything about the contest during the DJ! round.

Brian
The South Africa wildlife category was in the first round, and after the last clue in that category was played(clue 28), Alex did his spiels.
Yes, which took away from the time they had to play that round. Regardless of the amount of time wasted there, they do not take that time from the DJ! round.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

DBear wrote:FJ category had me cringing in terror, and justifiably so. No chance at it.
Me too. I was actually surprised on reveal to find that they were two shows that I knew, fully expecting to have NHO them.

Brian

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CrunchyTaco wrote:Once again preempted in Detroit, this time for a local lottery show.
You think that's bad? WNEM was pushing the lottery show, but pre-empted THAT for the St. Jude's thing. That's right, they pre-empted a pre-emption.

And because I'm a friggin' idiot so ungodly entrenched in routine, I forgot to watch Wheel on CBC until about 4:37.

I derped on the shamrock clue too. "Um, clover, but that doesn't have 'rock' in it… what other flower could be Irish?!"

Picked up Lach Trash on Blood pressure and Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

Ran the animals category.

Rollerblade is an actual company? This I did not know. I thought it was just one of those "formerly a brand name, now just a word" things like escalator.

No clue on FJ! As usual, I locked up entirely on the category and couldn't even think of a single musical.

I'm surprised J! wasn't cut off at 25 clues due to Alex's endless dissertation after the Africa category wrapped up. Once he finished that, I was half expecting "And that's it for today, good night, everybody."
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

bpmod wrote:
DBear wrote:FJ category had me cringing in terror, and justifiably so. No chance at it.
Me too. I was actually surprised on reveal to find that they were two shows that I knew, fully expecting to have NHO them.

Brian
I actually just saw Les Mis on tour on Tuesday night. (Still humming the music.) And given 80's musicals and Paris, Phantom came to me pretty quickly, too. (I'd actually precalled Les Mis. And Oklahoma! and South Pacific. :geek: )
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
Ditto
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

mam418 wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I actually just saw Les Mis on tour on Tuesday night. (Still humming the music.) And given 80's musicals and Paris, Phantom came to me pretty quickly, too. (I'd actually precalled Les Mis. And Oklahoma! and South Pacific. :geek: )
I saw a Toronto production of Phantom about 15 years ago and couldn't have told you it was set in Paris. I think I could have told you that about Les Mis if asked, but to come up with it spotted Paris was, well, impossible.

Brian

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Total opposite end of the spectrum here. But then working in retail music at that time was a big plus for that bit of info.
Jessamine's a pretty name, but I like the middle contestant's better: you can "spell" both his first and last name with two letters each, VJ and (it's a bit of a stretch) IR.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got Les Miz pretty quickly, but then I was casting around for something in French. That gave me no chance at Phantom.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:

Brian
Yes, which took away from the time they had to play that round. Regardless of the amount of time wasted there, they do not take that time from the DJ! round.

Brian
They don't? What exactly do you base that on?
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

I got in just in time for DJ and was on a wicked roll, missing only the campanile DD. Seemed to me there was quite a bit of lach trash, but I wasn't keeping a record.

Spent a few seconds chasing red herrings on FJ and so only had time for "What are Phantom of the Opera and Les Miz?" Do you figure the short form of the latter would do?