Friday, March 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6330, 2012-03-09

CONTESTANTS
Marion Baumgarten, a human resources evaluator from River Forest, Illinois
Galen Benshoof, a project manager in health care from Seattle, Washington
Jessamine Price, a graduate student in creative writing from Greenbelt, Maryland (whose 1-day cash winnings total $9,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Don't be fooled by the $9,200 that Jessamine has won as she became our new champion. She's the only player on yesterday's program to come up with the correct response in Final. Galen and Marion, welcome aboard. Nice to have you with us. Good luck to all three. Let's turn our attention now to the board and these categories. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CHEROKEE NATION (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
'90s FILM QUOTES (5/5)
GRAVE MATTERS (5/5)
FRUITS & VEGETABLES (5/5)
SALE (4/5)
THE 7 "C"s (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Marion: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Jessamine: 9 R, 2 W
Galen: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Marion: $4,800
Jessamine: $1,600
Galen: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Marion Baumgarten follows one sport, and no one in our audience would be able to guess, so tell them.

Marion: Well, my alma mater, St. John's College, only has one intercollegiate team, which is croquet. They play a match every year against the Naval Academy.

Alex: Are there money, uh, prizes involved?

Marion: Um, no, it's just the honor. Um, the way St. John's usually wins is by getting the other side drunk.

[Laughter]

Marion: So--I'm sorry. Maybe I'm not supposed to say this, but--they, uh--they ply the, uh, Naval Academy.

Alex: Okay--

Marion: It started as a bar bet.

Alex: Okay, good. All right.

Alex: Galen Benshoof from Seattle, Washington. Did I pronounce your last name correctly?

Galen: You got it, Alex.

Alex: All right. Now you studied abroad... where?

Galen: I was in Cuba, and because of recent travel restrictions, we ended up being the only American undergraduates in the entire country at the time.

Alex: Have you--

Galen: So we stuck out.

Alex: Have you wanted to go back since?

Galen: Oh, God, yes.

Alex: Yeah?

Galen: Uh, I met a lot of great people, went to some baseball games, played some stickball myself. I love the country.

Alex: No--no croquet?

Galen: Um...

Alex: Not in Cuba?

Galen: Not that I remember.

Alex: Yeah, I know.

Alex: Jessamine Price is, uh, from Maryland. She is our champion. She's a traveler. We, uh, learned yesterday that she brought a cat back to America from Egypt...

Jessamine: Mm-hmm.

Alex: But also crossed the Turkish border with a person of, uh, somewhat less than, uh, good repute.

Jessamine: Well, a smuggler, yes.

Alex: Oh, thank you.

Jessamine: I--I think, though, that a lot of--a lot of things are smuggled back and forth across the Syrian-Turkish border. And so when I was looking for a bus to go from Latakia, Syria, to Antakya, Turkey, turned out there was only one person going to Turkey that day--it was me, but there were about 50 large bags of something--wheat or rice--going across the border also.

Alex: Okay. Good to know.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marion found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Jessamine had $2,400, Galen had $2,800, and Marion was at $8,000. Marion wagered $2,000.

THE CHEROKEE NATION $600: In the 1830s the Cherokee were expelled from the Southeast & forcibly relocated to what's now this state

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SALE $600: In 2008 Perrier-Jouet put on sale 100 limited-edition 12-bottle box sets of this for 50,000 euros (that's over $70,000)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Marion: $11,000
Jessamine: $3,200
Galen: $2,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY CHARACTER RAP SHEET (2/2)
ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE SCHOOLS (5/5)
A VERY BRIGHT RESPONSE (5/5)
SENATE MAJORITY LEADERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S GREEK TO SOMEBODY (4/5)
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessamine: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Galen: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Marion: 3 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Galen snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Jessamine had $10,000, Galen had $4,400, and Marion was at $10,200. Galen wagered $2,600.

SENATE MAJORITY LEADERS $1200: In 1996 he left the Senate to focus on his run for president

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SENATE MAJORITY LEADERS $2000: His leadership periods from 1977 to 1981 & 1987 to 1989 were a tiny fraction of his service

IT'S GREEK TO SOMEBODY $1600: To Romanian speakers, what's tough is this language of the empire they split from in 1877
(Marion: Uh, what is Otto--Austria-Hu--what is Austrian-Hungarian?)
(Jessamine: What is Hungarian?)
(Alex: What is [*]? We talked about Turkey earlier.)

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE $1600: As Fernando, this performer popularized the phrase "You look mahvelous"
(Alex: Host of the Oscars--[*].)

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE $2000: Daughter of Chris, she's the first second-generation cast member
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Galen: $15,400
Jessamine: $10,800
Marion: $9,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Galen: Wager $6,201 to cover Jessamine.
Jessamine: You ought to wager to cover Marion, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $10,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,800 (to shut out Marion) or less than $1,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Marion). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Galen.
Marion: Consider risking $600, thereby beating Galen on the Triple Stumper (should Galen wager to cover Jessamine's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An entertainer born in 1888 whose original first name was Adolph was one of the best-known players of this instrument

FINAL SCORES
Marion: $9,800 - $9,799 = $1 (What is the clarinet?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jessamine: $10,800 - $799 = $10,001 (What is the cello?) (2-day champion: $19,202)
Galen: $15,400 - $6,201 = $9,199 (What is the trumpet?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: Started as Adolph, went on to Arthur, and then the name under which you know him best and which is closely associated with the instrument he played and the one we're looking for.)
(Alex: The performer who started off as Adolph wound up as Harpo Marx, so the instrument we're going for is [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Galen: $14,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jessamine: $10,800, 19 R, 3 W
Marion: $8,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $33,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jessamine: 19/58 = .328
Galen: 16/59 = .271
Marion: 16/59 = .271
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GRAVE MATTERS $1000: (Alex delivers the clue from Jerusalem.) This Nobel Peace Prize winner asked to be buried not on Mount Herzl with other Israeli leaders, but here on the Mount of Olives with his old comrades in Israel's fight for statehood

FRUITS & VEGETABLES $1000: George Washington Carver developed 118 products from this tuber related to the morning glory
(Jessamine: What is the peanut?)

SALE $400: A Honus Wagner one of these sold for $451,000 in 1991, $1.27 million in 2000 & $2.35 million in 2007
(Marion: What is a cigarette card?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed before Daily Double at clue 26.]

THE 7 "C"s $600: The pit of the wild cherry contains substances that yield this poison
(Jessamin: What is cyanin?)

THE 7 "C"s $1000: A diamond's cost is based on the 4 C's: carat weight, cut, color & this, of which flawless is one example
(Alex: Right you are, with a minute to go.)

THE CHEROKEE NATION $1000: This man is seen here with the Cherokee syllabary he invented in 1821
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

A VERY BRIGHT RESPONSE $800: It's what the boy is holding; judging from the flag in the background, it just might be the 4th of July

A VERY BRIGHT RESPONSE $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew holds a Budweiser Clydesdale at the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in St. Louis, MO.) To qualify for a hitch, a Budweiser Clydesdale must be a bay gelding, 6 feet at the shoulder, have four white stockinged feet & a white one of these fiery facial markings
[Applause for Jessamine's run of the category.]
(Alex: You did very well in that category. You're a shade off the lead. You're very bright with your responses.)

LITERARY CHARACTER RAP SHEET $400: You could charge this Seuss feline with breaking & entering, willful destruction of property & animal (fish) cruelty
(Alex: That's the character.)

LITERARY CHARACTER RAP SHEET $800: Though innocent, this 19th century title tot gets popped for pickpocketing Mr. Brownlow
(Marion: Who is Fagan?)

IT'S GREEK TO SOMEBODY $800: Arabic speakers point the finger at this language of more than 400 million Indians
(Marion: What is Sanskrit?)

ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE SCHOOLS $800: Its fight song says you're "a hell of a engineer" at this school that opened in 1888
(Galen: What is Vanderbilt?)

ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE SCHOOLS $2000: Seminal Seminoles from this university follow its motto: Vires, Artes, Mores--strength, skill, character
(Alex: We have about a minute left.)

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE $800: (Chevy Chase reads the clue from the set of Communit
(Galen: Who is Lorne Meyers?)
(Alex: No.)
(Galen: I'm sorry--who is
[*]?)
(Alex: Yes, Galen spoke too quickly.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Oklahoma
champagne
Bob Dole
Sen. Robert Byrd
Turkish
Billy Crystal
Abby Elliott
the harp
(Menachem) Begin
sweet potatoes
baseball card
cyanide
clarity
Sequoyah
a sparkler
a blaze
The Cat In The Hat[/i]
Oliver Twist
Hindi
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Lorne Michaels

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, March 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Not a good Jeopardy round, only four right.

I did, however, clean up in the DJ round, getting 11 right and sweeping the Senate Majority Leader category.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Missed final tonight, considering I came up with Fiddle and Cello, went with Cello.

Boy has Chevy Chase gotten old looking, but the SNL category was humorous considering I am almost blew my run saying Abby Farley before correcting myself. Wrong Chris came to mind immediately.
Avatar: Mickey's Hot Dogs - Greenburgh, NY (1929 - present)

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Figured Adolph was German, so threw around instruments that might be more famous out there than in the US. WAGged the correct response, but was total luck. That was a brutal FJ!

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Adolph was so little to go on for me that I started thinking of various entertainers, and blindly stumbled into Marx Brothers -> Harpo -> harp. Whatever.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Musical instruments should be my wheelhouse. But even after Alex saying Harpo Marx, I still could not come up with an instrument. I guess I don't know enough about the Marx Brothers either.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 pm

I was pretty sure "cigarette card" would be reversed. I kept waiting for the pause for the reversal, then remembered there was still a DD out there, so it would probably be verified prior to the wager.

I thought Galen had gotten his correction on the SNL question out before he was negged, but on the replay, Alex negs him during his "I'm sorry".

Congrats to my brother Stuffy for making it to Final Jeopardy! Instaget, of course.

- Hugo Z

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:03 pm

I thought FJ might be going for a Marx brother, but the only instrument I could think of for them was Harpo's horn. (I've only seen 2 Marx brothers movies, and I don't think he plays the harp in Duck Soup.) I ended up on kazoo, but I wonder if horn would have been accepted...

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:08 pm

bpmod wrote:But even after Alex saying Harpo Marx, I still could not come up with an instrument.
Good, I'm glad I was not the only one! I went with "accordion" for Lawrence Welk as a WAG. I looked it up later, and he was born in 1903.
I'd NHO "cigarette card."

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Oh, and the ad for the Jeopardy! Message Board was back tonight.

"Only at jeopardy.com!"

Yeah. Right.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm

I've followed baseball since I was a kid. I've heard or read about that Honus Wagner card a thousand times. I've never heard it (or anything else, for that matter) referred to as a 'cigarette card'. Her answer and the reversal each elicited a "...what!???" from me, with the second one being quite a bit more confused than the first. I'll note it for future reference, even though I'll probably never hear the term again.

DBear

Post by DBear » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Lost respect for the contestants when they insisted on sticking with SNL instead of going to literary character rap sheets. Guessed violin for FJ, no way I would've gotten harp out of that.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Instaget on FJ. Birth names of all the Marx Bros is just something I have in the spelunking locales of my grey matter. A little surprised it was a TS.
xxaaaxx wrote:I've followed baseball since I was a kid. I've heard or read about that Honus Wagner card a thousand times. I've never heard it (or anything else, for that matter) referred to as a 'cigarette card'.
Here's my thought on her answer: she knew he was a baseball player, and in her mind that was such a given that she thought they needed something more precise than "baseball card" as an answer: so she gave them the source of the card. But i'm half with ya: yes, I've never heard of it referred to by that way; however, I'd've taken it a step past you and accepted her answer. It shows deeper knowledge of the subject.
Last edited by Paucle on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Wondering if "Mandarin" would be accepted for "Chinese" in "Greek to Someone" $400. The Greek expression seems to only say "Chinese" per the Wikipedia list, but I'm not sure if there is a word in Greek for "Mandarin Chinese" to be honest.

(Fascinating graph of "It's all ___ to me"s here.)

And the #1 thing that made me feel old today was not that I'll be celebrating my 40th birthday in a couple of days but that *none* of the contestants knew that Billy Crystal is associated with "You look mahvelous". *That* made me age rapidly.
goforthetie wrote:I thought FJ might be going for a Marx brother, but the only instrument I could think of for them was Harpo's horn. (I've only seen 2 Marx brothers movies, and I don't think he plays the harp in Duck Soup.) I ended up on kazoo, but I wonder if horn would have been accepted...
:cry: :cry: :cry:

*Please* don't bring up Final around me again - I know y'all was betting I'd get it, and I let the board down. In my defence I was talking with a friend of mine on Wednesday who had recently started sax lessons - he's a fellow trivia-minded person and has a wealth of knowledge of several topics, one of the brightest people I know and has spell-binding stories. Anyways, he dropped into the conversation that the sax was invented by, and named for, Adolph Sax. (This was something I knew, but the fact was sitting long-dormant in my brain). Upon seeing the Final Jeopardy! clue, my brain leapt back to that recent conversation and, like it sometimes does, refused to let anything else in. I'd *like* to think that I might have gotten it otherwise, as to me "Adolph / Adolf" only means one of two people: Harpo Marx or .. damn it, I used to know who the other guy was. Austrian German fellow ... shoot, can't recall who it is now. I'm sure it'll come to me later.

Oh, and gfft, I'm almost positive Harpo plays the harp in *every* Marx Brothers movie. (I also believe Chico plays the piano in every Marx Brothers movie as well.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:50 pm

I was delighted when the Musical Instruments category turned out to be a movie clue in disguise.

I was taken aback when Alex didn't immediately accept "cigarette card" as a correct response.

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:36 pm

I only got it because I'm sort of a Marx Brothers fan, so I knew their names.

Chico: Leonard
Harpo: Adolph
Groucho: Julius
Gummo: Milton
Zeppo: Herbert

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:55 pm

I went with "accordion" for Lawrence Welk as a WAG. I looked it up later, and he was born in 1903.
I went with Welk as well. Guess that outcome wasn't so "wunnerful wunnerful."

On "French and Indian War," I clammed, because since they mentioned "French," it sounded to me like it was bordering on a "Stupid answers" type question.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:57 pm

thenextofken wrote:On "French and Indian War," I clammed, because since they mentioned "French," it sounded to me like it was bordering on a "Stupid answers" type question.
They do that occasionally. Like yesterday too.

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Somehow I went with accordion. I know a lot of Marx Brothers, but getting there from "Adolf" just wasn't going to happen.