Monday, June 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
10-year-old Martin Luther King, Jr. sang with his church’s choir at the celebrated premiere of this film

Morgan Wilbanks: 11600+11000=22600 (2x = $44,000)
Lindsay Madejski: 9000-8998=2
Tonya Schaan: 11000+11000=22000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gone with the Wind (Lindsay – What is?)

Daily Doubles
Tonya: 2000+2000
Morgan: 3000+3000
Morgan: 4800+4800

Coryats
Morgan: 7000
Lindsay: 9000
Tonya: 10000

Combined: 26,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Morgan: 1800
Lindsay: 2600
Tonya: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If you think a $26,000 Combined Coryat is bad it could have been worse as the players took a while to get untracked and there were too many misses and TS clues. It's good for the 4th podium although a victory there requires more than 11600 since Morgan (and Tonya at 11000) solved the FJ! clue.

Those who like all-in for Daily Doubles will be happy as all three went that way including Tonya with a Holzhauer push. Morgan needed both farm plays to narrowly lead for the FJ! round and if the unseen $2000 clue played then perhaps Tonya could have overtaken him.

The FJ! category was wide open for dozens if not hundreds of things. For kicks I picked Jane Addams/Hull House.

The instant I saw the clue I was ready to write Ebenezer Baptist until I took it all in. Oh, a hidden movie clue, thanks writers. Done.

Where I failed was trying to do a math double check as I was not recalling MLK's death age or birth year. My first attempt was 1968 year of death - 42 for age at death. 1926 for birth year? Add 10 for 1936? That's not right. Then I had detoured myself to wondering if Dr. King had had his birthday yet in 1968. Hmmm, April 4th...Hey dummy, of course he had his birthday, it's in January, duh.

At that point I stopped goofing around and just waited for the music to end as I knew I had the right film for what mattered.

Morgan made a 7000 Coryat work for a title defense and another nice pay day.

The remind-alike game was easy today with Lindsay, as from moment one of her speaking (coupled with her appearance) it was Beth Behrs as Gemma Johnson on CBS's The Neighborhood.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's been a struggle with awful connectivity issues, but it's finally done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6691

14TS :o
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (St. Vincent was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cubic Foot, Copper, Triple Jump, Hogshead, Roll Over Beethoven, Santa Maria, Richard, Massachusetts, Idris Elba, Unger & Madison, Nacre, Rosettes, Rwanda, Children of a Lesser God

I am probably the only one here that immediately noticed that Tonya's last name is the largest city in Liechtenstein.
Douglas Squasoni
alamble

Post by alamble »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am

The remind-alike game was easy today with Lindsay, as from moment one of her speaking (coupled with her appearance) it was Beth Behrs as Gemma Johnson on CBS's The Neighborhood.
I had Riki Lindhome - most recently seen in Knives Out but potentially better known as the blonde half of the comedy band Garfunkel and Oates.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $33,600 (41R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Only 2/5 on TRANSCENDENTAL, normally "partial anagram" (or whatever you call those) categories are gimmes for me. I liked today's FJ... hard enough to be challenging but eminently solvable if you think it through.

I'm probably the only one here who noticed Lindsay's last name is an anagram of 'skim jade'... :lol:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :| :D on DDs. What's wrong with the simple word 'pour'? :P
I was stuck on religious films for FJ. Knew The Ten Commandments was too recent, but couldn't think of anything from that time. I was not getting GWTW our of that. :(
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I got FJ!, but only based on some vague estimates of the date. Working backwards, MLK was fairly young when he was assassinated in 1968, and I put him at around 40. I was only a year off. Subtracting 30 gives 1938, so it's a movie in the late 30s. Generally, when it's a FJ! clue, they want headslappers for folks who don't get it....stuff like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. But given that it was a grand premiere, and that MLK was born in Atlanta, it points straight to Gone With the Wind. The only red herring is the whole "choir" part of the clue. I briefly entertained Wizard of Oz because of that, but that was a big Hollywood production, likely too far for MLK and his family to have traveled.

Personal blind spot alert from looking at the wiki page of Gone With the Wind: Olivia de Havilland. I'll have to figure out what I need to know about her. The name I know, but literally nothing else.

Exact measurements usually mean you're in the same system, so 1728 cubic inches should scream "cubic foot". I almost ran that category, save for the hogshead.

Rare case of being skunked by taking the top row clue first in ISLAND PEOPLE for both me and one of the contestants - I also went with Elle Macpherson, thinking "brogue" could be Scottish. Apparently, it's just Irish, in most usage. If I'd noticed the whole category theme - people with last names that were island - I might have gotten there. I definitely would have at least clammed on Elle. IMO, it's negbait, but ONLY if you don't understand the category.

Suggestion - watch whatever NT Theater Live at Home is playing. They're good plays filmed (usually) in the National Theatre in London. They did Streetcar 2 weeks ago, and it helped me tonight by keeping it fresh in my mind. Coriolanus is this week, and I know nothing about it.

Gerrymandering was a painfully slow clue. As soon as I saw it, I went "what are they going to ask about gerrymandering".

Stupidest answer I gave: When I saw WWI, I went right for "Archduke". Oops.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

9 of the TSs. I was in Vaduz two years ago, and didn't even know there was another city.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am The remind-alike game was easy today with Lindsay, as from moment one of her speaking (coupled with her appearance) it was Beth Behrs as Gemma Johnson on CBS's The Neighborhood.
I had two thoughts upon seeing the challengers introduced: that Lindsay looks like the blonde version of Season 34 champ Natalie Ballas...

Image Image
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:06 pm I am probably the only one here that immediately noticed that Tonya's last name is the largest city in Liechtenstein.
...and that Tonya's last name is the largest city in Liechtenstein.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:37 pm ...

Exact measurements usually mean you're in the same system, so 1728 cubic inches should scream "cubic foot". I almost ran that category, save for the hogshead.
Credit for getting hogshead is here: https://youtu.be/JZ9U4Cbb4wg?t=65
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alamble wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am

I had Riki Lindhome - most recently seen in Knives Out but potentially better known as the blonde half of the comedy band Garfunkel and Oates.
My thought, too. Also was a Sheldon stalker on Big Bang Theory.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Very patchy game for me, but I ran Fonts of Wisdom.

Precalled "Old Time Rock and Roll" in "Rock and/or Roll Songs". Can't say I've heard of Steve Winwood or the song associated with him.

Cubic inches to cubic foot was a leap I couldn't make either.

Can't say I've heard of the Indigo Girls, which was my only miss in Colors.

Also don't think I've heard of Bligh before.

0/5 in National Monument-al.

Nina is wrong, and no one wants to take the coinflip on Pinta/Santa Maria?

Marshall Field was the only name I recognized in Island People.

No guess on FJ! There were lots and lots and lots and lots of famous films in 1939 and I saw literally no way to narrow this down.

Lach Trash: copper, "Roll Over, Beethoven", nacre, rosettes
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:37 pm Personal blind spot alert from looking at the wiki page of Gone With the Wind: Olivia de Havilland. I'll have to figure out what I need to know about her. The name I know, but literally nothing else.
Give her a call and ask for the highlights. If you wait until July 1, you can wish her a happy 104th.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Recency bias made me say Felix Unger and Oscar *Hamilton :oops:

I got rosettes tonight after missing it the last time it came up

Weird Final Jeopardy! fact. Got there on the date clue but it didn't seem, well, right
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Immediately thought GWTW but thought MLK may have been too young. obv he wasnt.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:37 pm
Suggestion - watch whatever NT Theater Live at Home is playing. They're good plays filmed (usually) in the National Theatre in London. They did Streetcar 2 weeks ago, and it helped me tonight by keeping it fresh in my mind. Coriolanus is this week, and I know nothing about it.
I couldn't get far in to This House - my interest in Parliament lags...And the Streetcar was a little weird, with its contemporary dress and rotating set...but Coriolanus is good...(I'm about halfway through it. I wish the shows weren't all so long...!) Later this week: The Madness of George III.
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:29 pm
Weird Final Jeopardy! fact. Got there on the date clue but it didn't seem, well, right
Yes, a cheap irony of history, and an unfortunate time to be pointing it out...I felt a little icky for getting it right away...
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Anyone else say "blacken" instead of "brown" in COLORS for $600?

I can't imagine it's acceptable since the clue gave the actual definition.