Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:10 pm 57 R (Missed Classic Automobiles $1000 and Playing the Villain $1200 & $1600.)
It’s occasionally interesting what people know and don’t know. But when someone gets 57R, yet the two villains clues they did not would poll over 90% here as well as still quite high for the general public, that’s pretty interesting.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I hope and pray to see Alex hosting whenever Jeopardy! finally returns.

My immediate response of Toni Morrison in FJ was nearly Pavlovian. The connection between Oprah and TM has been a strong one in my mind since Morrison's Song of Solomon was announced as the second-ever selection of Oprah's Book Club back in 1996. And of course, Oprah produced and starred in the film adaptation of Morrison's Beloved, which Oprah had owned the movie rights to since the late 1980s when the book was published.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:37 pm I couldn't remember which one of Toni Morrison or Alice Walker had died. I picked the wrong one.
Thank you. For a long moment here I thought I was the only one who thought about Alice.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

nserven wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:00 am
davey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 pm Oh, Alex...I have a feeling Oprah has praised other women authors in the 6 years since Maya Angelou passed - maybe even other ladies who've died besides Toni Morrison... :roll:
Oprah has championed many writers in her career, but I think the stronger link that we were supposed to remember, and to which Bob hints upthread, is that Oprah produced and starred in the adaptation to Beloved.
And yet Oprah has a legendarily strong link to Alice Walker, yes? I remember hearing that she went around giving people copies of "The Color Purple," so taken was she with it. And then campaigned STRONGLY to get a part in the movie version, which IIRC was Oprah's first movie role.

Since I had no recollection of which famous author died last year, that link is what led me down the path to my wrong answer on this FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for today's rerun. Zach will not be playing on Monday's new game. ToC tracking is in my first post on page one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had planned to watch this to get ready for the new season, but with three new players Monday there is no real point.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yeah... what... was the point of the last two weeks? Should have shown more vault episodes! Preferably ones not archived yet!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:34 pm Yeah... what... was the point of the last two weeks? Should have shown more vault episodes! Preferably ones not archived yet!
If you could pick, what unarchived games would you want to see?
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I'd want to see Rocky Schmidt's second game (December 12, 1985; he would later become a supervising producer). His first game is archived and he won $3,700, though it's unknown how he did in his second game.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:49 pm If you could pick, what unarchived games would you want to see?
Oh, to pick some nice round numbers, Season 2, #385-#394, say.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:49 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:34 pm Yeah... what... was the point of the last two weeks? Should have shown more vault episodes! Preferably ones not archived yet!
If you could pick, what unarchived games would you want to see?
Where's the list of unarchived games? My feeling is just start with the earliest and work our way forward. Or just clean everything up--archived or not--and release it a season at a time on Hulu or Netflix or Amazon Prime or Crackle or Kanop or Peacock or the Sony site. I.e. somewhere free or somewhere I'm already paying for. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No love for S1E6?

I agree that putting the old seasons out there in some format would be great. I love seeing the early seasons games.

But, alas, they would still not show the Barbara Lowe games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On a serious note, I do wish they’d show more vault games next summer. With DVRs, people don’t miss tournament games. I bet old games (archived or not) draw more viewers than reruns of six month old games.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:39 pm On a serious note, I do wish they’d show more vault games next summer. With DVRs, people don’t miss tournament games. I bet old games (archived or not) draw more viewers than reruns of six month old games.
Looks like you'd have to test the theory week by week...I can't find anywhere, yet, that has it all at once.
https://tvnewscheck.com/article/tag/wee ... n-ratings/

Bit too zonked ATM to compile it myself
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Well, the whole travel issues, etc., might have been a fluid situation - maybe they didn't know until fairly recently whether Zach could have come back. And, as a matter of course, it makes sense to precede the new season's premiere episode with a repeat of the season finale, even if Zach doesn't come back.

Plus, I'm sure J! wants to lock in which episodes get shown about 2 weeks in advance so that various channel guides can pick display the actual episode info (ie Season 36, Episode 200, original air date 6/12/20), as opposed to the generic description of "Alex Trebek hosts the innovative answer-and-question game show" with no episode info or air date info. For those who missed the first two weeks of June, they knew to record these past two weeks.

I've always felt some sympathy for the "monkey in the middle" when there are two returning champions. I know J! picks the order of the contestants at random from the 12 that tape for each week's episodes, but I think for fairness sake that it would be nice if Zach came back versus a 1-day champion - as opposed to, say, a 3- or 4-day champ. It's fair to Zach, who should get the advantage of facing two "challengers", and it's fair to the challenger, who faces Zach plus (theoretically) the weakest possible actual "new" champion. The only one it would be unfair to is the new champ, but...