Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7187
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:21 am
Yes, this is the last new game. Zach's game five has not been recorded yet.
Surprised they didn't replace Alex's "See you Monday" bit with a new announcement. I even stuck through the credits this time to see if they would.

Edit: Not a fan of the sunglasses clue. "...sunglasses with this effect" or something of that nature would've been better.
Also, if you said 'mirrored', it counts; that's what the rulebook actually says: https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/fhp/policies/0601.pdf
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Hardcore Henry (9), Joy (6), Mandela (7), The Quiet Man (7)

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

It looks like all filming in Los Angeles was cleared to restart today so hopefully it won't be too long before we get new episodes of Jeopardy!

I got Toni Morrison. I didn't think of Maya Angelou or Alice Walker so that made it easy. I got balaclavas mixed up with balalaikas.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8757
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:21 am
Yes, this is the last new game. Zach's game five has not been recorded yet.
Surprised they didn't replace Alex's "See you Monday" bit with a new announcement. I even stuck through the credits this time to see if they would.
Yep, me too, especially as they had the, "Hi, this is Alex and this is a new episode of Jeopardy!" up front. I was expecting 30 seconds or so explaining what was what.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1748
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

I was hoping to see a bombshell announcement that Alex has decided to make this episode his final show. I haven't kept up with related threads here or health updates, but why must he burn his bridges from both ends (show related, but not very pithy quip ;)). I know lots of boardies want AT to go forever, but I don't like watching a potential vigil and he could have left 5 years ago and by now nobody would be saying he left too soon, and we'd have a new favorite game show host.

I had to root for Kelly as a namesake, but her buzzer seemed to go out for about 40 clues in the middle. She couldn't have built a runaway even with Zach's help so the sole miss sealed her fate. You go, Zach, you might be the answer to a trivia question (what player appeared in both versions of the J! game).

And Johnny Gilbert? Surely they won't start another season of uncertainty with him?

Please excuse my sacrilege and blasphemy. Another Kelly miss with Maya Angelou.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7187
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:37 pm
I was hoping to see a bombshell announcement that Alex has decided to make this episode his final show. I haven't kept up with related threads here or health updates, but why must he burn his bridges from both ends (show related, but not very pithy quip ;)). I know lots of boardies want AT to go forever, but I don't like watching a potential vigil and he could have left 5 years ago and by now nobody would be saying he left too soon, and we'd have a new favorite game show host.
Alex knows his limits better than any of us do, so as long as he feels capable, i don't think it's my place to worry.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Hardcore Henry (9), Joy (6), Mandela (7), The Quiet Man (7)

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4246
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

Overall, a fairly well-played game. I thought this might it for Zach, especially after seeing the FJ clue, but he pulled out another win.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1243
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

MattKnowles wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:51 pm
It looks like all filming in Los Angeles was cleared to restart today so hopefully it won't be too long before we get new episodes of Jeopardy!
Well... it's not that simple. (Link is to the unions' proposed safety guidelines, which will be a challenge for the J! production staff -- or any production staff -- to comply with.)

goongas
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by goongas »

trainman wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:51 am
MattKnowles wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:51 pm
It looks like all filming in Los Angeles was cleared to restart today so hopefully it won't be too long before we get new episodes of Jeopardy!
Well... it's not that simple. (Link is to the unions' proposed safety guidelines, which will be a challenge for the J! production staff -- or any production staff -- to comply with.)
Based on my skimming of the document, there would be no audience (like at the last tapings), and probably the hotel shuttle to the studio would be discontinued. I imagine the green room would not be used (I have never been to the studio, but I imagine it is not large?), perhaps they would spread the contestants out in the audience to explain things to them?

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1980
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the extreme negbait response in fantasy author Ursula K. Le Guin, who should at least be near the top of the list for any combination of clue keywords magician + Oprah. (She died in 2018, not 2019.)

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:21 am
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the extreme negbait response in fantasy author Ursula K. Le Guin, who should at least be near the top of the list for any combination of clue keywords magician + Oprah. (She died in 2018, not 2019.)
What's the connection between Le Guin and Oprah? Are you maybe thinking of Madeleine L'Engle (author of A Wrinkle in Time who died in 2007)?

Philliesfan02
Valued Contributor
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Philliesfan02 »

35 R/6 W
Coryat: $24,200
DDs: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: Mercedes, cerebrum, lungs, cyber, reflective, (Golden)

Zach is my second favorite contestant in the past few years, only behind Ryan Fenster; it is a shame we won’t be seeing him again for a while.

NHO on FJ! WAGed Sue Grafton. The miss cost me a 70% get rate on FJ over the last 50 new shows, though I can’t complain too much.

User avatar
nserven
At the Clam Shack
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Greenfield, MA

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by nserven »

davey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 pm
Oh, Alex...I have a feeling Oprah has praised other women authors in the 6 years since Maya Angelou passed - maybe even other ladies who've died besides Toni Morrison... :roll:
Oprah has championed many writers in her career, but I think the stronger link that we were supposed to remember, and to which Bob hints upthread, is that Oprah produced and starred in the adaptation to Beloved.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4246
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

nserven wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:00 am
davey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 pm
Oh, Alex...I have a feeling Oprah has praised other women authors in the 6 years since Maya Angelou passed - maybe even other ladies who've died besides Toni Morrison... :roll:
Oprah has championed many writers in her career, but I think the stronger link that we were supposed to remember, and to which Bob hints upthread, is that Oprah produced and starred in the adaptation to Beloved.
The description a magician with words led me to Toni Morrison. Her writing had a beauty to it that was remarkable. I wasn’t a bit surprised when she won the Nobel (unlike, say, certain musicians), and the connection to Oprah cemented it for me.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Woof wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:38 am
nserven wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:00 am
davey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 pm
Oh, Alex...I have a feeling Oprah has praised other women authors in the 6 years since Maya Angelou passed - maybe even other ladies who've died besides Toni Morrison... :roll:
Oprah has championed many writers in her career, but I think the stronger link that we were supposed to remember, and to which Bob hints upthread, is that Oprah produced and starred in the adaptation to Beloved.
The description a magician with words led me to Toni Morrison. Her writing had a beauty to it that was remarkable. I wasn’t a bit surprised when she won the Nobel (unlike, say, certain musicians), and the connection to Oprah cemented it for me.
Few writers in recent years have had as many assessments and tributes paid to her on her passing than Toni Morrison. Including this odd but humanizing one from her buddy Fran Lebowitz. I would not have guessed about her favorite restaurant-
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... death.html

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Classic Automobiles $1000 and Playing the Villain $1200 & $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cerebrum, (Mixed Metaphor), Lungs, Spleen, (Golden), Cyber, (Commando), Daniel Kaluuya, Reflective, Balaclava
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.2k games
Alpaca Farm: 1548 quizzes

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:59 pm
I had no clue who that guy was. Never heard of him
Philliesfan02 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:14 am
NHO on FJ!
:shock:
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.2k games
Alpaca Farm: 1548 quizzes

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9914
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:15 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:59 pm
I had no clue who that guy was. Never heard of him
Philliesfan02 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:14 am
NHO on FJ!
:shock:
Again, I was referring to the actor in the clue during regular play. I am familiar with Morrison but picked Angelou.

User avatar
DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Robert K S wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:21 am
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the extreme negbait response in fantasy author Ursula K. Le Guin, who should at least be near the top of the list for any combination of clue keywords magician + Oprah. (She died in 2018, not 2019.)
Oh good. Glad I wasn't the only one to see 'magician' & zero in on fantasy authors. :?
Horrible week for FJ. I actually did better in the GOAT tournament. :shock:

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

MattKnowles wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:51 pm
I got balaclavas mixed up with balalaikas.
Will it confuse you even more if i throw baclava into the mix? :D

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1980
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:18 am
Robert K S wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:21 am
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the extreme negbait response in fantasy author Ursula K. Le Guin, who should at least be near the top of the list for any combination of clue keywords magician + Oprah. (She died in 2018, not 2019.)
What's the connection between Le Guin and Oprah? Are you maybe thinking of Madeleine L'Engle (author of A Wrinkle in Time who died in 2007)?
...Yes. [slinks away]

Post Reply