Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How has Covid-19 affected you?

I know (or think) I have or had Covid-19.
10%
I do not think I have had Covid-19.
83%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, and am still employed.
61%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, but am now less employed.
5%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, am now unemployed, but expect to get my job back.
2%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, and am now unemployed.
2%
I was not employed or a student before the pandemic hit.
27%
I personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19 related causes.
21%
I do not personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19 related causes.
66%
I always wear a face covering in public.
79%
I sometimes wear a face covering in public.
16%
I never wear a face covering in public.
3%

Total votes: 149

TenPoundHammer

Re: Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Haven't had it.

I decided to check only "am still employed". My McDonald's job never wavered, one of the churches reopened last week, and the other is opening this week.

I don't know anyone who's died of it, but I do know a couple people who've had it.

I always wear a mask in public, and unfriended someone on Facebook who said that he refuses to because he believes all the misinformation, and calls mask-wearers "sheeple".
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I'm still working full time in the same office, essentially.

Whenever somebody takes a day off a rumor is started that they are out sick with coronavirus. Then they come back to the office, dispel the rumor, and everybody wonders why they bought into it. And then somebody else takes a day off and it starts again.

I haven't had it. I don't personally know anybody that has had it. There are several infections and a death from friends-of-a-friend.

I wear a mask in public whenever possible. I half assume the people that don't wear masks are Cult-45 Branch-Covidians.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:32 pm I'm still working full time in the same office, essentially.

Whenever somebody takes a day off a rumor is started that they are out sick with coronavirus. Then they come back to the office, dispel the rumor, and everybody wonders why they bought into it. And then somebody else takes a day off and it starts again.

I haven't had it. I don't personally know anybody that has had it. There are several infections and a death from friends-of-a-friend.

I wear a mask in public whenever possible. I half assume the people that don't wear masks are Cult-45 Branch-Covidians.
It is fair to fully assume that.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Pretty much everybody in the medical profession, along with county/state health officials, are unanimous in recommending the simple three-step recommendation (while we wait for a vaccine and/or effective treatment to come along) for limiting and eventually stopping the pandemic:

Wash and sanitize your hands A LOT.

Keep your distance from other people whenever possible, and make sure it's possible almost all of the time.

Wear a face mask.

In my area one radio talk host is pumping up his audience to resist these stupid suggestions because they are infringements on our rights. And people are ginning up printed up cards explaining that they have some kind of medical reason NOT to wear masks, yet still insisting on their right to go into public places where masks are required.

Meanwhile, every other geographic location on the planet has pretty much peaked in its numbers of cases, hospitalizations, deaths; and the numbers are trending strongly downward; while in our country the numbers seemed to peak, then start downward for about twenty minutes, then shoot skyward with no upper limit in sight.

If only the people I described two paragraphs above could assert their rights without inflicting the results of those decisions on others they don't even know. But alas, they cannot, and we as a nation are committing slow mass suicide.

I have yet to hear a rational explanation to refuse to wear a mask, certainly not from Trump. The rest of the world is comparing their health situation to ours and wondering what happened to the America they used to envy and want to be like. I wonder as well.

God help us all from our collective insistence on not being told what to do, even if we're being told only how to stay alive.

Stay safe out there, boys and girls.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I got really lucky and, after about eight months of unemployment, started a new job on the first Monday in January (as an editor of online/email marketing content). The company went to work-from-home mode as of Friday, March 13.

Someone I know from another message board was in the hospital with Covid-19 for about 8 weeks, on a ventilator and sedated for most of that time, and he's only in his early 50s.

Many days, the only time I set foot outside my apartment is at about 6:45 A.M. to get my newspaper out of the building's driveway and get the mail that was delivered the previous day. This takes me about 3 minutes. Yes, I wear a mask even for that.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I do not personally know anyone who died from it, but someone in my college band lost both her mother and her grandmother from the disease.
Douglas Squasoni
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Mask wearing in Ottawa is fairly prevalent, this is a forward thinking city. My company has been hit VERY hard by this (I work in the aviation industry). So, I'm working from home (will be until Spring 2021 apparently), and have taken a pay cut. Have avoided layoffs so far, but only thanks to a big push for early retirement. Love the prospect of moving home at 40!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

My employer and job are classed as "essential", so Covid-19 has had little impact on my job except traffic on my commute is a lot less. Some of my job I can do from home, but much of it requires me to be in the office. I know nobody who has had it. I wear masks in public in accordance with the promulgated rules here.

Count me among those who probably didn't have Covid-19 but who was on the East Coast (Virginia) for a business trip in the middle of February, and about 5 days after I was back on the Left Coast, I came down with something I suspect was an atypical cold (maybe a coronavirus cold?): not much fever, but much more debilitating than a typical cold, and the cough was much more severe than a typical cold and lasted a solid 2 weeks longer than usual for me with a cold. Probably just an odd cold - and nobody in my immediate family showed any symptoms - but at my next regularly scheduled Dr appointment, I'm going to ask for an antibody test.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:54 pm My employer and job are classed as "essential", so Covid-19 has had little impact on my job except traffic on my commute is a lot less. Some of my job I can do from home, but much of it requires me to be in the office. I know nobody who has had it. I wear masks in public in accordance with the promulgated rules here.

Count me among those who probably didn't have Covid-19 but who was on the East Coast (Virginia) for a business trip in the middle of February, and about 5 days after I was back on the Left Coast, I came down with something I suspect was an atypical cold (maybe a coronavirus cold?): not much fever, but much more debilitating than a typical cold, and the cough was much more severe than a typical cold and lasted a solid 2 weeks longer than usual for me with a cold. Probably just an odd cold - and nobody in my immediate family showed any symptoms - but at my next regularly scheduled Dr appointment, I'm going to ask for an antibody test.
good thinking.

and good luck.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Was not working so stay at home doesn't affect me much. I have been doing take out more often using a list of criteria to assess them above and beyond simple health questions.

Yes to always the mask. I live in a seniors only community where the average age is about 75 so we're reducing the chances as much as possible.
OCSam
brick

Post by brick »

I lost a friend and former housemate on April 5. Art he made hangs on the walls in my home. We haven't had a memorial yet, which is starting to really bother me.

I know at least four or five people who had positive tests, but did not become ill enough to require hospitalization, and did not transmit, so far as we can tell, to anyone in their family. We thought my partner may have had it, and he had been working alongside one of the confirmed cases a day or two earlier... but he and I both tested negative for anti-bodies.

Steadily employed, and working too hard at my work at home job.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:25 pm I lost a friend and former housemate on April 5. Art he made hangs on the walls in my home. We haven't had a memorial yet, which is starting to really bother me.
Oh man, sorry to hear that.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Thanks for posting this.

Add me to the list of those who were ill through February. I initially wrote it off as a lingering cold or the effects of taking flu and pneumonia vaccines on the same day. However, there was one day on which I had a persistent, severe dry cough. Two people with whom I was in close contact around the end of the month were among the first cases reported locally; both spent weeks in ICU.

My lone viral test, taken a week ago, was negative.

I carry a mask at all times and wear it in indoor public spaces (that's mandatory in WV, where I live, but not uniformly enforced).

No one close to me has died of the disease, but several friends/relatives of friends have.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Fleeboy, how long would you say it took you to fully recover? You only had the cough for one day?
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:15 pm
brick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:25 pm I lost a friend and former housemate on April 5. Art he made hangs on the walls in my home. We haven't had a memorial yet, which is starting to really bother me.
Oh man, sorry to hear that.
Thank you. On the upside, this conversation motivated me to start a conversation with my friends executor about scheduling a memorial.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:18 am Fleeboy, how long would you say it took you to fully recover? You only had the cough for one day?
I felt unwell for about five weeks in all, ending in mid-March -- around the time everything started shutting down. The lingering effects were nasal congestion and a mildly upset stomach. The dry cough might have persisted into a second day; I can't recall.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

I kind of wonder: how many people who have a problem with "masks mandatory" rules don't think twice about the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs?
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Last week, I learned two of my nieces have had it - one is in her early 20s and one is in her 40s. Both had mild symptoms - fever, loss of taste and smell, not-too-bad cough. Then yesterday, I was informed that my stepmother has tested positive from where she lives in a memory care facility. Her son said she doesn't seem to have too many symptoms or any sever ones, so I pray that continues to be the case.

I always wear a mask since it's mandatory in the grocery stores here (all four of my side hustles got shut down due to Covid, so I am shopping/delivering groceries through Shipt).I do still have my full-time employment as well, so I am blessed in that respect.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
earendel

Post by earendel »

I have had a positive test and have had symptoms that lasted almost two weeks, mostly a recurrent fever, dizziness and weakness, and nausea, but no respiratory issues. I'm currently on the mend.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:54 pm Count me among those who probably didn't have Covid-19 but who...came down with something I suspect was an atypical cold (maybe a coronavirus cold?): not much fever, but much more debilitating than a typical cold, and the cough was much more severe than a typical cold and lasted a solid 2 weeks longer than usual for me with a cold. Probably just an odd cold - and nobody in my immediate family showed any symptoms - but at my next regularly scheduled Dr appointment, I'm going to ask for an antibody test.
Saw the doctor, did not get an antibody test - Dr said the current state-of-the-art in antibody tests is such that it wouldn't tell us anything particularly useful (which is probably also code for "your health insurance probably won't pay for it" ;) ).