TD 449 - The Sheeplympics (Final Standings)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 449 - The Sheeplympics (Final Standings)

Post by threearruda »

Many nations have come…. Only one will stand tallest.

In one of my games last year, squarekara made a comment about excelling at “speed sheeping” and “See you all at the Sheeplympics!” This gave me an idea. There have been a number of Olympics themed quizzes and questions to my recollection, but this takes on a new twist. Seeing as how the actual Olympics will not be taking place this year, I wanted to simulate the experience in addition to revisiting the “best of” (....or maybe worst of, based on how you feel) from my previous five turns as host. Some of the questions will be related to items that have sheeped or have been close to sheeping in my previous five turns as host. You need not have played my previous games to be successful here, however.

The top finishers overall will receive a virtual gold, silver and bronze medal. I may or may not also include a fun prize for the last place finisher, the true sheep in this flock.

RULES and HOUSEKEEPING
  • There are a dozen questions. Pick one answer from each set you think others will not - your score corresponds to the number of players who answered the same question as you did. Lowest total score will be the champion; there is one bonus, but no additional questions.
  • You are allowed to DROP one question for an automatic score of zero (0), and one SHEEP if needed to automatically receive the score of that question’s most common answer.
  • Incorrect responses will count the sheep’s total plus an additional five (5) points. Just a reminder that phonetic or otherwise close spelling is acceptable, as long as I can identify what you are going for.
  • The quiz is open to any and all who fill out this Google form, JBoard member or not. The quiz will close for scoring on Monday, July 20 at 11:59 p.m. pacific time; the reveal will commence early Tuesday morning and continue throughout the week.
  • Please don’t look up answers, collude with your friends, etc...The honor system is important to these games and it helps everyone enjoy the experience more. I take pride in trying to make my games accessible for all, but also challenging for veteran and top-tier quizzers, so there should be something for everyone. Besides, cheating is bad for your conscience and will never help you win in TD play anyway.
  • Feel free to reach out via PM if there are any further questions or issues.
Let the games begin!

1.) The Actual Olympics

Assuming the games of the 32nd Summer Olympiad are not pushed back further or cancelled altogether, Japan will be the host nation. Excluding Japan, name a host NATION for any Olympic Games, summer and winter, between 2000-2018. (10 possible answers).

2.) Torch Relay

Answer some questions about fire or running of various kinds.
  • Which famed Greek is said to have ran 26 miles to announce Athens' victory in the Battle of Marathon?
  • This famed distance race winds through Hopkinton, Newton’s Heartbreak Hill and Copley Square
  • This rhyming, non-competitive race often benefits charity and can sometimes be completed in costume
  • The last runner of a relay race is said to run this “heavy” leg
  • This man, one leg amputated, embarked on a run across Canada in the early 1980s as a cancer fundraiser
  • Jackie Joyner-Kersee is a three time Olympic medalist in which combined events contest?
  • In Greek mythology, this Titan stole fire and gave it to civilization
  • Starting in a shop on Pudding Lane, this devastating 1666 event occurred in the midst of the second Anglo-Dutch war
  • November 2018 saw the Camp and Woolsey fires ravage which U.S. state?
  • Only you... can identify this famed public service announcement star voiced by Sam Elliott (and prevent wildfires, I guess)
  • This dating application’s logo is currently a white flame on a reddish-pink background
  • Premiering on October 10, 2012, this Dick Wolf-produced show stars Jesse Spencer as Matthew Casey

3.) Opening Ceremonies
  • Whose stirring rendition of the National Anthem at Super Bowl XXV charted on Billboard?
  • What famed E.B. White novel begins, “Where’s papa going with that ax?”
  • You might open a Dutch or sliding glass one of these in your home
  • The start of the Indianapolis 500, or any other auto race, is depicted by a flag of what color?
  • Crossword Clues “O”: This three word term might refer to a court case with very clear facts (4, 3, 4)
  • Drunk Christopher Sly is shown being ejected from a bar at the outset of this Shakespeare play
  • Which U.S. state seceded on December 20, 1860?
  • Gorbachev is credited with initiating this ‘80s policy in the Soviet Union, meaning “openness” (and/or transparency) in Russian
  • The name of this month might have come from the Latin word “aperire” (aperit), meaning to open
  • The opening scenes of “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” show the titular character, portrayed by this actress, being saved from a Doomsday bunker

4.) National “Pri”de

Identify a word in the English language - you know, something I can find in a dictionary - that contains the letters “Pri” consecutively (back to back to back). The combination can appear at the beginning of the word, the end or anywhere in between. BONUS: 1 point deduction for whomever can come up with the longest word. In the event of a tie, each of those players receives the bonus.

THE MAIN EVENTS

This next group of six questions rework phrases/information that has sheeped in my five previous games, placed into broad categories. Good luck!

5.) Music
  • “Oh Baby/Why don’t you just meet me in the middle?” sang this country/pop star on Zedd’s hit 2017-18 song
  • This Massachusetts native shared a surprising kiss on the 2015 American Music Awards stage with “Marvin Gaye” duet partner Charlie Puth
  • One of pop’s top groups in the 80s, Susanna Hoffs fronted this girl group
  • This music legend returned to the top of the charts on the strength of 2000’s “Smooth”, with some help from Rob Thomas
  • Camila Cabello was a member of this quintet before leaving to pursue a solo career
  • This British pop duo consisted of David Stewart and Annie Lennox
  • Cher won a 1987 Best Actress Oscar for this film
  • LeAnn Rimes sang “Can’t Fight the Moonlight” for this 2000 film
  • “Zillionaire” was a minor 2016 chart hit for this stately rapper, born Tramar Dillard
  • “Heartbroke” singer Ricky Skaggs is a noted player of this stringed instru”m”ent in the lute family
(Prior Sheep: (Q1 and Q2 answer), Susanna Hoffs, (Q4 answer), Camila Cabello, Annie Lennox, Cher, LeAnn Rimes, zillion, (answer to the last question)).

6.) Literature
  • "Their Eyes Were Watching God" was a famous novel from this Harlem Renaissance figure
  • Chinua Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" told a story of a member of the Igbo tribe of this most populous African nation
  • Harper Lee’s much anticipated second novel with this title was released a few months before her 2016 death
  • This literary genre formed from German words meaning “education” and “novel” focuses on the coming of age or growth of a protagonist
  • Cormac McCarthy’s 1985 novel with this title recalls experiences of “the kid” and the Glanton Gang on the United States-Mexican borderlands
  • Anne Eliot is the central figure of this Jane Austen novel that I sort of remember reading three years ago
  • Who wrote 1969’s Slaughterhouse Five?
  • Not related to the Marty Robbins song, “El Paso: A Novel” is a recent release from this “Forrest Gump” author
  • Author’s Bonus: A favorite of Girl Meets World character Maya Hart is this children writer’s “Hop on Pop”
Prior Sheep: ((Answer to first question), Achebe, Harper Lee, (answer to fourth question), Cormac McCarthy, (Q6 answer), Five, Marty Robbins)

7.) Sports
  • This NBA franchise moved from New Jersey to Brooklyn in 2012
  • The Cleveland Cavaliers selected this hometown hero first overall in the 2003 Draft; that “decision” worked out pretty well
  • This longtime power forward for the San Antonio Spurs received his Hall Call in April 2020
  • The Atlanta Falcons’ most successful quarterback, this 2016 MVP (and “Schooled” pilot subject) was a top five draft selection out of Boston College
  • Steer clear of the 2017 March Madness Championship Game if you talk to fans of Gonzaga; Gonzaga is located in this city
  • This 2011 national player of the year for BYU flamed out of the NBA, but resurrected his career in a big way in China
  • Richard Petty sported car numbers 41, 42 and 6 at times, but is most famous for piloting this numbered machine for the majority of his NASCAR career
  • She wrote “Seabiscuit: An American Legend”, as well as “Unbroken”
  • Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan State are members of this major collegiate conference
  • Let’s torture myself now.. Which greatest quarterback of all time left my beloved New England Patriots for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in March?
Prior Sheep: ((Q1 Answer), Cavaliers, Spurs, Atlanta ‘Dirty Birdin’ Falcons, (Q5 Answer), BYU, Richard Petty, Seabiscuit, Iowa)

8.) Famous Names
  • Brian Dunkleman co-hosted the first season of American Idol before this more famous host took over for good
  • This “Indebted” TV “nanny” might be best known for her thick New York accent and nasal voice
  • John Legend’s 2014 #1 All of Me was written about this supermodel wife of his
  • Jimmy Hoffa served as the leader of which labor union between 1957 and 1971?
  • Tim Allen enlisted TV wife Patricia Richardson to help outsmart Bob Vila on Tool Time; the two reunited on this show when Mike Baxter bought some civil war collectibles
  • A native of Duckburg, Donald Duck’s nephews have which three rhyming names?
  • “Chattahoochee” singer Alan Jackson performed the duet “5 o’clock Somewhere” with this leader of a bunch of parrotheads
  • Larry Page and Sergey Brin want to make sure you are “feeling lucky” as you use their invention, this search engine
  • Frank Sinatra and this photographer famous for her “Migrant Mother” are residents of Hoboken, New Jersey
  • This Italian who passed away in late 2018 won a Best Director Oscar with “The Last Emperor”
Prior Sheep: Dunkleman, The Nanny, John Legend, Jimmy Hoffa, Tool Time, Duckburg, Chattahoochee, I’m Feeling Lucky, Hoboken, The Last Emperor)

9.) Places and Place Names
  • “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” is a song from this 2004 Tony winning musical
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid appear on the American Film Institute (AFI) list of top American films of all-time; in what city is the AFI located?
  • The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire occurred in this NYC borough
  • Rodrigo Duterte took over as the president of this nation in June 2016
  • Prince’s Paisley Park can be found in this Minneapolis suburb
  • Recently bankrupt retailer JCPenney is headquartered in Plano, a city of this state
  • Jean Sibelius, Linus Torvalds and Esa-Pekka Salonen are all natives of which nation?
  • Madeleine Kunin and Howard Dean are former governors of this state
  • Romulus and which brother are credited with the creation of Rome?
  • Vaclavske Namesti (Wenceslas) is the main square in this world capital
Prior Sheep: ((Q1 answer), Butch Cassidy, Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, Duterte, Prince, JCPenney, Salonen, Howard Dean, Seven Hills of Rome, Good King Wenceslas)

10.) Odds and Ends + Author’s Choice

Here are a few things that didn’t quite fit, plus some personal connections
  • I hear this song all the time at work; Peter Gabriel surely knows that Ace Hardware advertises a Collins 20 lb. steel this tool with a large flat metal head and a long handle
  • Ritz or Saltines, this type of snack food, were always in our pantry growing up
  • Babies born on May 15 fall under this astrological sign, shared by some of my friends and family
  • A science lesson growing up dealt with isobars (pressure); similarly, isohyets deal with connecting points of similar this
  • Skype was popular when I was younger; this video communications company that shares its name with a WGBH-produced kids show has taken over in 2020
  • The loft looked like a fun home for Nick, Winston, Schmidt and Jess on this FOX sitcom, a show I binge-watched for the first time last month
  • Orbit is the mascot for this MLB team that my Boston Red Sox defeated in the 2018 ALCS
  • Don’t get my Twizzlers confused with your licorice stick, a nickname for this instrument
  • Red Delicious and my favorite, the Cortland, are varieties of this fruit
Prior Sheep: ((Partial Q1, Partial Q2 and Q3 Answers), Isobars, Skype, Fun Home, Orbit City, (Q8 answer), Red Delicious)

11.) Medal Ceremonies

If you’re exceptional at your discipline, you’ll win a gold, silver or bronze medal. Pick one of Gold, Silver or Bronze.

12.) Closing Ceremonies

The closing ceremonies are a celebration of the games that have occurred. Per the Department of Commerce, there are ten federal holidays observed annually in the United States, where banks, schools, federal buildings and so on are closed and we celebrate - maybe. Name one of these ten. (NOTE: this does not include Inauguration Day in Washington D.C.)
Last edited by threearruda on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Re: TD 449 - The Sheeplympics

Post by threearruda »

Final Entry List - 27
merica
clt013
talkingaway
MarkBarrett
Gamawire

MattKnowles
Shaquebanisa
Flealick
teapot37
Ironhorse

shambolic
Peachbox
Floridagator
cthulhu
Rackme32

Leander
WhatAreDogs
twelvefootboy
AFRET CMS
alamble

RougeGod
BrigadierSolo13
jeffwolfe
heppm01
econgator

ElendilPickle
True North
Last edited by threearruda on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Midweek bump - still lots of time to get in on the action!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Weekend bump.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Monday bump. Barring a last minute schedule change, the reveal commences early tomorrow so please get your entries in by the end of the day if you haven't already!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

1.) The Actual Olympics

Assuming the games of the 32nd Summer Olympiad are not pushed back further or cancelled altogether, Japan will be the host nation. Excluding Japan, name a host NATION for any Olympic Games, summer and winter, between 2000-2018. (10 possible answers).

POSSIBLE ANSWERS
Australia (2000 - Sydney)
United States (2002 - Salt Lake City)
Greece (2004 - Athens)
Italy (2006 - Turin)
China (2008 - Beijing)
Canada (2010 - Vancouver)
United Kingdom (2012 - London)
Russia (2014 - Sochi)
Brazil (2016 - Rio de Janeiro)
South Korea (2018 - Pyeongchang)

Well… the rest of the world doesn’t want to touch the USA right now, why would 27 Boardies want to?!? :lol:

INCORRECT - 14
Peachbox (Salt Lake City)
BrigadierSolo13 (Athens) - I asked for the country, sorry :(

Italy (2006) - 9 (SHEEP!)
RougeGod
MarkBarrett
talkingaway
teapot37
shambolic
Floridagator
Leander
WhatAreDogs
True North

Canada (2010) - 5
clt013
Shaquebanisa
Rackme32
jeffwolfe
econgator

England/UK (2012) - 4
merica
AFRET CMS
MattKnowles
ElendilPickle

Australia (2000) - 2
Gamawire
alamble

China (2008) - SINGLETON!
twelvefootboy

Greece (2004) - SINGLETON!
Ironhorse

South Korea (2018) - SINGLETON!
Flealick

Russia (2014) - SINGLETON!
cthulhu

Brazil (Rio de Janeiro, 2016) - SINGLETON!
heppm01

UNUSED
United States (Salt Lake City, 2002)

2.) Torch Relay

Answer some questions about fire or running of various kinds.
  • Which famed Greek is said to have ran 26 miles to announce Athens' victory in the Battle of Marathon? Pheidippides
  • This famed distance race winds through Hopkinton, Newton’s Heartbreak Hill and Copley Square Boston Marathon
  • This rhyming, non-competitive race often benefits charity and can sometimes be completed in costume Fun Run
  • The last runner of a relay race is said to run this “heavy” leg Anchor
  • This man, one leg amputated, embarked on a run across Canada in the early 1980s as a cancer fundraiser Terry Fox
  • Jackie Joyner-Kersee is a three time Olympic medalist in which combined events contest? Heptathlon
  • In Greek mythology, this Titan stole fire and gave it to civilization Prometheus
  • Starting in a shop on Pudding Lane, this devastating 1666 event occurred in the midst of the second Anglo-Dutch war Great Fire of London
  • November 2018 saw the Camp and Woolsey fires ravage which U.S. state? California
  • Only you... can identify this famed public service announcement star voiced by Sam Elliott (and prevent wildfires, I guess) Smokey Bear
  • This dating application’s logo is currently a white flame on a reddish-pink background Tinder
  • Premiering on October 10, 2012, this Dick Wolf-produced show stars Jesse Spencer as Matthew Casey Chicago Fire
Prometheus - 5 (SHEEP!)
Gamawire
talkingaway
Floridagator
MattKnowles
cthulhu

Pheidippides - 5 (SHEEP!)
Shaquebanisa
True North
Peachbox
teapot37
shambolic

Anchor Leg - 4
alamble
RougeGod
heppm01
econgator

California - 3
Rackme32
merica
ElendilPickle

Terry Fox - 3
jeffwolfe
Leander
Flealick

Fun Run - 2
AFRET CMS (I'll accept BOLDERBoulder, the question is pinned poorly enough for this answer to be counted correct)
BrigadierSolo13

Heptathlon - 2
clt013
twelvefootboy

Great Fire of London - SINGLETON!
MarkBarrett

Chicago Fire - SINGLETON!
WhatAreDogs

Smokey Bear - SINGLETON!
Ironhorse

UNUSED
Boston Marathon
Tinder

3.) Opening Ceremonies
  • Whose stirring rendition of the National Anthem at Super Bowl XXV charted on Billboard? Whitney Houston
  • What famed E.B. White novel begins, “Where’s papa going with that ax?” Charlotte's Web
  • You might open a Dutch or sliding glass one of these in your home Door
  • The start of the Indianapolis 500, or any other auto race, is depicted by a flag of what color? Green
  • Crossword Clues “O”: This three word term might refer to a court case with very clear facts (4, 3, 4) Open and Shut
  • Drunk Christopher Sly is shown being ejected from a bar at the outset of this Shakespeare play The Taming of the Shrew
  • Which U.S. state seceded on December 20, 1860? South Carolina (setting in motion the U.S. Civil War)
  • Gorbachev is credited with initiating this ‘80s policy in the Soviet Union, meaning “openness” (and/or transparency) in Russian Glasnost
  • The name of this month might have come from the Latin word “aperire” (aperit), meaning to open April
  • The opening scenes of “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” show the titular character, portrayed by this actress, being saved from a Doomsday bunker Ellie Kemper
This sheep logjam at the top proved to be… UN-breakable...

Ellie Kemper - 6 (SHEEP!)
WhatAreDogs
shambolic
clt013
MarkBarrett
teapot37
heppm01

Glasnost - 4
alamble
Shaquebanisa
Leander
Floridagator

Door - 4
BrigadierSolo13
twelvefootboy
Peachbox
Flealick

Charlotte’s Web - 4
Rackme32
MattKnowles
Ironhorse
ElendilPickle

Green Flag - 4
jeffwolfe
RougeGod
econgator
True North

Open and Shut - 3
Gamawire
cthulhu
AFRET CMS

Whitney Houston - 2
merica
Talkingaway

UNUSED
The Taming of the Shrew
South Carolina
April

Standings After Q3
* Everyone still has their drop available at this point in the game

1. Ironhorse - 6
2. twelvefootboy - 7
3. Flealick - 8
T-4. cthulhu - 9
T-4. AFRET CMS - 9
T-4. merica - 9
T-7. alamble - 10
T-7. Gamawire - 10
T-9. ElendilPickle - 11
T-9. heppm01 - 11

T-11. Rackme32 - 12
T-11. jeffwolfe - 12
T-13. clt013 - 13
T-13. econgator - 13
T-13. MattKnowles - 13
16. Shaquebanisa - 14
T-17. WhatAreDogs - 16
T-17. Leander - 16
T-17. MarkBarrett - 16
T-17. talkingaway - 16

21. RougeGod - 17
T-22. Floridagator - 18
T-22. True North - 18
T-24. teapot37 - 20
T-24. BrigadierSolo13 - 20
T-24. shambolic - 20
ALL SHEEP LINE - 20
27. Peachbox - 23

Ironhorse pulls out to a slight lead at the first turn on the strength of two early singletons, but it's still close and it's still anyone's game. Come back tomorrow where we begin with the main events!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 449 - The Sheeplympics (Q1-3 Revealed)

Post by True North »

One of these times, I’ll remember to check to see if I have a drop available. :oops:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I thought nobody else remembered those Winter Olympics in Italy. I see once again I was too clever by half.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

Something seems oddly appropriate about this line...
threearruda wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:45 am T-13. clt013 - 13
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I appreciate the flexibility with Bolder Boulder; I hesitated a bit because the race can be run competitively for a prize, or noncompetitively with runners getting sponsors to pledge donations to charity for miles run. And then after hesitating, I wondered if it might sheep. I have to admit "fun run" didn't occur to me until a day or so after I submitted.

Similar to a fun run, we have a local bicycle "race" called "Tour de Fat" sponsored by New Belgium Brewery (makers of Fat Tire beer). For that one, I think costumes are almost mandatory -- the more outlandish, the better.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

True North wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:17 am One of these times, I’ll remember to check to see if I have a drop available. :oops:
Happens to the best of us.. in the future I may consider adding a line under the title on the submission forms just restating points for wrong answers, drop/sheep and whatnot for easier reference.
clt013 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:36 am Something seems oddly appropriate about this line...
threearruda wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:45 am T-13. clt013 - 13
Got a chuckle out of that myself.. I’d laugh more if you managed to finish 13th. :lol:
floridagator wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:00 am I thought nobody else remembered those Winter Olympics in Italy. I see once again I was too clever by half.
Especially with this crowd, most of the field is going to know their Olympic cities cold, so that can be a tough one to think through.
I personally remember the Turin games because of a couple Vermont snowboarders.. but that’s a different topic :D
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:06 pm I appreciate the flexibility with Bolder Boulder; I hesitated a bit because the race can be run competitively for a prize, or noncompetitively with runners getting sponsors to pledge donations to charity for miles run. And then after hesitating, I wondered if it might sheep. I have to admit "fun run" didn't occur to me until a day or so after I submitted.
As far as I’m concerned, your response fits the clue as written; you just gave a more specific example of the general term I was going for. Hindsight says I needed to pin down the clue better to cut out any alternatives.. but then again I’m not sure if I could have prepared for anyone answering with a specific fun run with a rhyming name, so double “my bad” there :lol:

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Re: TD 449 - The Sheeplympics (Q4-5 Revealed)

Post by threearruda »

4.) National “Pri”de

Identify a word in the English language - you know, something I can find in a dictionary - that contains the letters “Pri” consecutively (back to back to back). The combination can appear at the beginning of the word, the end or anywhere in between. BONUS: 1 point deduction for whomever can come up with the longest word. In the event of a tie, each of those players receives the bonus.

Apricot - 2
Leander
ElendilPickle

Privatization - 2
Gamawire
econgator

Proprioception - 2
teapot37
cthulhu

Sprightly (Spritely) - 2
WhatAreDogs
Rackme32

SINGLETONS - 1
talkingaway (Antiprismatic)
clt013 (Capricious)
True North (Capriciousness)
twelvefootboy (Capricorn)
Ironhorse (Fingerprinting)
alamble (imprimatur)
shambolic (Imprint)
RougeGod (Imprisonment)
Floridagator (Misappropriations)
BrigadierSolo13 (Pricelessness)
AFRET CMS (Prig)
MarkBarrett (Prim)
Flealick (Primogeniture)
Shaquebanisa (Pristine)
heppm01 (Proprietorship)
jeffwolfe (Sprite)
MattKnowles (Surprised)
Peachbox (Underprivileged)
merica (Unsurprisingly)

BONUS of -1 to the longest word. We had a 15, a few 14s, but Floridagator gets the -1 bonus with the 17 letters of misappropriations. Good job!

THE MAIN EVENTS

This next group of six questions rework phrases/information that have sheeped in my five previous games, placed into broad categories. Good luck!

5.) Music

“Oh Baby/Why don’t you just meet me in the middle?” sang this country/pop star on Zedd’s hit 2017-18 song Maren Morris
This Massachusetts native shared a surprising kiss on the 2015 American Music Awards stage with “Marvin Gaye” duet partner Charlie Puth Meghan Trainor
One of pop’s top groups in the 80s, Susanna Hoffs fronted this girl group The Bangles
This music legend returned to the top of the charts on the strength of 2000’s “Smooth”, with some help from Rob Thomas Santana
Camila Cabello was a member of this quintet before leaving to pursue a solo career Fifth Harmony
This British pop duo consisted of David Stewart and Annie Lennox Eurythmics
Cher won a 1987 Best Actress Oscar for this film Moonstruck
LeAnn Rimes sang “Can’t Fight the Moonlight” for this 2000 film Coyote Ugly
“Zillionaire” was a minor 2016 chart hit for this stately rapper, born Tramar Dillard Flo Rida
“Heartbroke” singer Ricky Skaggs is a noted player of this stringed instru”m”ent in the lute family Mandolin

(Prior Sheep: (Maren Morris, Meghan Trainor, Susanna Hoffs, Carlos Santana, Camila Cabello, Annie Lennox, Cher, LeAnn Rimes, zillion, mandolin).

Sweet dreams are not made of mandolins...

INCORRECT - 10
twelvefootboy (Moonlighting)

Mandolin - 5 (SHEEP!)
Rackme32
Peachbox
Leander
cthulhu
merica

Eurythmics - 5 (SHEEP!)
WhatAreDogs
alamble
AFRET CMS
econgator
ElendilPickle

Coyote Ugly - 4
clt013
Floridagator
jeffwolfe
Talkingaway

Fifth Harmony - 3
shambolic
MarkBarrett
teapot37

Flo Rida - 2
BrigadierSolo13
Shaquebanisa

Santana - 2
Ironhorse
Flealick

The Bangles - 2
heppm01
True North

Moonstruck - SINGLETON!
MattKnowles

Maren Morris - SINGLETON!
Gamawire

DROP = 0
RougeGod

UNUSED
Meghan Trainor

Standings After Q5
* Everyone except RougeGod still has their drop available at this point in the game

RANK - USER - SCORE - MOVEMENT

1. Ironhorse - 9 (--)
2. Flealick - 11 (+1)
3. Gamawire - 13 (+4)
4. heppm01 - 14 (+5)
T-5. AFRET CMS - 15 (-1)
T-5. merica - 15 (-1)
T-5. MattKnowles - 15 (+8)
T-8. alamble - 16 (-1)
T-8. cthulhu - 16 (-4)
T-10. jeffwolfe - 17 (+1)
T-10. Shaquebanisa - 17 (+6)

T-12. clt013 - 18 (+1)
T-12. ElendilPickle - 18 (-3)
T-12. twelvefootboy - 18 (-10)
T-12. RougeGod - 18 (+9)
16. Rackme32 - 19 (-5)
T-17. econgator - 20 (-4)
T-17. MarkBarrett - 20 (--)
T-19. talkingaway - 21 (-2)
T-19. True North - 21 (+3)

21. Floridagator - 22 (+1)
T-22. WhatAreDogs - 23 (-5)
T-22. Leander - 23 (-5)
T-22. BrigadierSolo13 - 23 (+2)
25. shambolic - 24 (-1)
26. teapot37 - 25 (-2)
ALL SHEEP LINE - 27
27. Peachbox - 29 (--)

As expected, not a lot of change in today’s standings with the low-scoring Q4. Ironhorse retains the lead entering Day 3 of competition. Literature, Sports and maybe Famous Names will make up tomorrow’s section of the reveal, see you then!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Four consecutive sheeps to start the contest has kind of doomed me.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:33 am Four consecutive sheeps to start the contest has kind of doomed me.
What did your face look like when you saw you were not alone on your "pri" word? My reaction would have been, "You gotta be [expletive] kidding me!" I had to use Google for both definition and pronunciation.

Knowing I had no chance at the bonus I figured a short word was the way to go. Prim was my choice in honor of The Hunger Games.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Thanks! I started with propriety and that led me to appropriate and then I thought of the fiscal sense of appropriate and then just performed some morphology until I arrived at misappropriations.

Even so, I'm 21st.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 am
teapot37 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:33 am Four consecutive sheeps to start the contest has kind of doomed me.
What did your face look like when you saw you were not alone on your "pri" word? My reaction would have been, "You gotta be [expletive] kidding me!" I had to use Google for both definition and pronunciation.

Knowing I had no chance at the bonus I figured a short word was the way to go. Prim was my choice in honor of The Hunger Games.
I considered primrose, but thought someone might make the movie connection.

The longest word I could think of was underprivileged, but I figured chasing a long word was a good way to sheep. So I saved Peachbox and myself from sheeping there. I decided to go with a short word, but thought there would be anti-bonus people who would go 4 letters and I avoided that. There I am with the shortest word longer than 4 letters.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 am Knowing I had no chance at the bonus I figured a short word was the way to go. Prim was my choice in honor of The Hunger Games.
My thought exactly. Glad I went with "prig" instead of "prim." They were both on the... ahem... short list. (sorry)

I considered "antiprivatization" at 17 letters, but wasn't sure it would be permitted and couldn't research it. Checked it out after submission, and found it's hyphenated, so I'm still not sure it would have been accepted.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:38 am
Standings After Q5
* Everyone except RougeGod still has their drop available at this point in the game
Oh. Oh no. I think I forgot to think different.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
threearruda

Re: TD 449 - The Sheeplympics (Q6-8 Revealed)

Post by threearruda »

6.) Literature
  • "Their Eyes Were Watching God" was a famous novel from this Harlem Renaissance figure Zora Neale Hurston
  • Chinua Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" told a story of a member of the Igbo tribe of this most populous African nation Nigeria
  • Harper Lee’s much anticipated second novel with this title was released a few months before her 2016 death Go Set a Watchman
  • This literary genre formed from German words meaning “education” and “novel” focuses on the coming of age or growth of a protagonist bildungsroman
  • Cormac McCarthy’s 1985 novel with this title recalls experiences of “the kid” and the Glanton Gang on the United States-Mexican borderlands Blood Meridian
  • Anne Eliot is the central figure of this Jane Austen novel that I sort of remember reading three years ago Persuasion
  • Who wrote 1969’s Slaughterhouse Five? Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
  • Not related to the Marty Robbins song, “El Paso: A Novel” is a recent release from this “Forrest Gump” author Winston Groom
  • Author’s Bonus: A favorite of Girl Meets World character Maya Hart is this children writer’s “Hop on Pop” Dr. Seuss
Prior Sheep: (Zora Neale Hurston, Achebe, Harper Lee, bildungsroman, Cormac McCarthy, Persuasion, Five, Marty Robbins)

Once again, the flock splits two ways...

Bildungsroman - 6 (SHEEP!)
alamble
cthulhu
Leander
Shaquebanisa
teapot37
Floridagator

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - 6 (SHEEP!)
clt013
RougeGod
Gamawire
Flealick
heppm01
twelvefootboy

Go Set a Watchman - 4
AFRET CMS
econgator
MarkBarrett
True North

Zora Neale Hurston - 3
BrigadierSolo13
Ironhorse
Peachbox

Blood Meridian - 2
MattKnowles
shambolic

Dr. Seuss - 2
talkingaway
jeffwolfe

Persuasion - SINGLETON!
ElendilPickle

Winston Groom - SINGLETON!
WhatAreDogs

DROP = 0
merica
Rackme32

UNUSED
Nigeria

7.) Sports
  • This NBA franchise moved from New Jersey to Brooklyn in 2012 Nets
  • The Cleveland Cavaliers selected this hometown hero first overall in the 2003 Draft; that “decision” worked out pretty well LeBron James
  • This longtime power forward for the San Antonio Spurs received his Hall Call in April 2020 Tim Duncan
  • The Atlanta Falcons’ most successful quarterback, this 2016 MVP (and “Schooled” pilot subject) was a top five draft selection out of Boston College Matt Ryan
  • Steer clear of the 2017 March Madness Championship Game if you talk to fans of Gonzaga; Gonzaga is located in this city Spokane
  • This 2011 national player of the year for BYU flamed out of the NBA, but resurrected his career in a big way in China Jimmer Fredette
  • Richard Petty sported car numbers 41, 42 and 6 at times, but is most famous for piloting this numbered machine for the majority of his NASCAR career 43
  • She wrote “Seabiscuit: An American Legend”, as well as “Unbroken” Laura Hillenbrand
  • Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan State are members of this major collegiate conference Big Ten
  • Let’s torture myself now.. Which greatest quarterback of all time left my beloved New England Patriots for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in March? Tom Brady
Prior Sheep: (Nets, Cavaliers, Spurs, Atlanta ‘Dirty Birdin’ Falcons, Spokane, BYU, Richard Petty, Seabiscuit, Iowa)

Gonzaga’s 2016-17 team is easily one of my favorites in CBB history…

Spokane - 8 (SHEEP!)
Leander
Shaquebanisa
Floridagator
MattKnowles
AFRET CMS
MarkBarrett
True North
ElendilPickle

43 - 4
cthulhu
teapot37
econgator
twelvefootboy

Big Ten - 3
heppm01
jeffwolfe
clt013

Jimmer Fredette - 3
Rackme32
WhatAreDogs
BrigadierSolo13

Laura Hillenbrand - 3
Gamawire
Flealick
Peachbox

Matt Ryan - 2
RougeGod
merica

LeBron James - SINGLETON!
Ironhorse

Tim Duncan - SINGLETON!
alamble

DROP - 0
shambolic
talkingaway

UNUSED
Tom Brady
(Brooklyn) Nets

8.) Famous Names
  • Brian Dunkleman co-hosted the first season of American Idol before this more famous host took over for good Ryan Seacrest
  • This “Indebted” TV “nanny” might be best known for her thick New York accent and nasal voice Fran Drescher
  • John Legend’s 2014 #1 All of Me was written about this supermodel wife of his Chrissy Teigen
  • Jimmy Hoffa served as the leader of which labor union between 1957 and 1971? Teamsters
  • Tim Allen enlisted TV wife Patricia Richardson to help outsmart Bob Vila on Tool Time; the two reunited on this show when Mike Baxter bought some civil war collectibles Last Man Standing
  • A native of Duckburg, Donald Duck’s nephews have which three rhyming names? Huey, Dewey and Louie
  • “Chattahoochee” singer Alan Jackson performed the duet “5 o’clock Somewhere” with this leader of a bunch of parrotheads Jimmy Buffett
  • Larry Page and Sergey Brin want to make sure you are “feeling lucky” as you use their invention, this search engine Google
  • Frank Sinatra and this photographer famous for her “Migrant Mother” are residents of Hoboken, New Jersey Dorothea Lange
  • This Italian who passed away in late 2018 won a Best Director Oscar with “The Last Emperor” Bernardo Bertolucci
Prior Sheep: Dunkleman, The Nanny, John Legend, Jimmy Hoffa, Tool Time, Duckburg, Chattahoochee, I’m Feeling Lucky, Hoboken, The Last Emperor)

Huey, Dewey and Louie - 6 (SHEEP!)
Floridagator
RougeGod
econgator
jeffwolfe
Rackme32
alamble

Dorothea Lange - 4
cthulhu
BrigadierSolo13
Peachbox
shambolic

Fran Drescher - 4
clt013
merica
Shaquebanisa
MattKnowles

Google - 3
twelvefootboy
talkingaway
Flealick

Chrissy Teigen - 3
heppm01
MarkBarrett
ElendilPickle

Jimmy Buffett - 2
Gamawire
Ironhorse

Last Man Standing - 2
AFRET CMS
True North

Ryan Seacrest - SINGLETON!
Leander

Teamsters - SINGLETON!
WhatAreDogs

Bernardo Bertolucci - SINGLETON!
teapot37

No Drop, Incorrect or Unused

Standings After Q8

RANK - USER - SCORE - MOVEMENT ([d] denotes drop still available)

1. Ironhorse - 15 (--) [d]
2. merica - 21 (+3)
3. Flealick - 23 (-1) [d]
4. Gamawire - 24 (-1) [d]
T-5. heppm01 - 26 (-1) [d]
T-5. talkingaway - 26 (+14)
T-7. jeffwolfe - 28 (+3) [d]
T-7. WhatAreDogs - 28 (+15) [d]
T-7. Rackme32 - 28 (+9)
T-10. AFRET CMS - 29 (-5) [d]
T-10. alamble - 29 (-2) [d]
T-10. MattKnowles - 29 (-5) [d]

T-13. shambolic - 30 (+12)
T-13. cthulhu - 30 (-5) [d]
T-13. ElendilPickle - 30 (-1) [d]
T-16. twelvefootboy - 31 (-4) [d]
T-16. clt013 - 31 (-4) [d]
18. RougeGod - 32 (-6)
19. BrigadierSolo13 - 33 (+3) [d]
20. econgator - 34 (-3) [d]

T-21. Shaquebanisa - 35 (-11) [d]
T-21. MarkBarrett - 35 (-4) [d]
T-21. True North - 35 (-2) [d]
24. teapot37 - 36 (+2) [d]
25. Leander - 38 (-3) [d]
26. Peachbox - 39 (+1) [d]
27. Floridagator - 42 (-6) [d]

ALL SHEEP LINE - 47

Some high scores on Day 3 widen the field a bit. Ironhorse pulls out to a 6 point advantage over new second place player merica. WhatAreDogs, Rackme32 and talkingaway are new podium contenders as they make big leaps into the top ten. The race for the bottom heats up as well as I prepare the virtual "Golden Sheep" award at the end of the week. Place Names and Odds and Ends will wrap up the “Sheep” portion of the game, see you tomorrow for that!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
floridagator

Re: TD 449 - The Sheeplympics (Q6-8 Revealed)

Post by floridagator »

Isn't the winner of the sheeplympics the one who sheeps the most?