Wednesday, February 7, 2001 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 7, 2001 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 7, 2001 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPACE EXPLORATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In October 1998 this man went into space as the oldest U.S. astronaut ever

Wayne Brady: 9700+2000=11700 ($10,000 to charity)
Dana Delany: 6100+6000=12100 ($10,000 to charity)
Eric Idle: 7000+7000=14000 ($19,000 to charity when including $5,000 bonus for winning)

Correct response:
Spoiler
John Glenn

Daily Doubles
Wayne: 700+300
Eric: 2300+2300
Eric: 4800+1000

Coryats
Wayne: 9700
Dana: 6100
Eric: 4700

Combined: 20,500

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Wayne: 3900
Dana: 1300
Eric: 900

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3056
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wayne was the best player other than being too conservative on wagers and especially when taking into account the charity guarantees.

The FJ! clue is a 2001 and 2020 solve as the distinction was memorable news when it happened.

Wayne got to play again: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3089

Dana played two more times:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1381

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3141

All three players have presented clues which is typical in having the celebs do double duty while easily available.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

49 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Chairman of the Board, Seven Days in May, and the Gracie Allen quote.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Shilling, Pocahontas
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not a bad game for celebs. Wayne’s wager left a lot to be desired. With literally nothing to lose, he bets small. Cost his charity a lot of money.

Did Wayne and Dana only get $10,000 even though they went over the minimum.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I predicted a win by Idle, but not that way. Pretty good game for all three. I was surprised that Alex pointed out that "SEVEN" was in quotation marks without explaining what that meant. Celebrities aren't regular watchers and need a little more hand-holding. Fortunately there was only one close call with Idle able to sputter out "and the seven dwarfs" after an awkward pause.

Regarding FJ, how many of you remember getting forwarded an email about everyone dressing up in ape suits and burying the Statue of Liberty up to her neck in the sand? That may be the earliest mass-forwarded joke that I can recall.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Is anyone able to check an original recording of this episode? The text in the image that was shown with the Pocahontas clue on tonight's broadcast is completely different from what is transcribed on the Archive and I'm curious if there was an edit.

[EDIT: Thanks Mark, you're the best! :)]
theFJguy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 am Wayne Brady: 9700+2000=11700 ($10,000 to charity)
When Dana's score went up to $12,100, Alex said that her charity was going to receive at least that amount, and the Archive's Prizes page states that the 2nd and 3rd place prizes for that week were "$10,000 (or the player's total, whichever is larger)".
Last edited by cheezguyty on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 pm Is anyone able to check an original recording of this episode? The text in the image that was shown with the Pocahontas clue on tonight's broadcast is completely different from what is transcribed on the Archive and I'm curious if there was an edit.
theFJguy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 am Wayne Brady: 9700+2000=11700 ($10,000 to charity)
When Dana's score went up to $12,100, Alex said that her charity was going to receive at least that amount, and the Archive's Prizes page states that the 2nd and 3rd place prizes for that week were "$10,000 (or the player's total, whichever is larger)".
Original 2001 recording: It matches the Pocahontas clue as in the archive.

theFJguy used the archive as the source for the $10,000 and $10,000 for Dana & Wayne while not recalling the actual rules. The prizes page has it correct about getting the higher total that they earned.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 pm Original 2001 recording: It matches the Pocahontas clue as in the archive.
That's... just weird. I mean, it wasn't a great clue but it doesn't seem offensive.

2001 clue: She's the subject of the 17th century headline seen here: "LOCA POCA!! Saves Boy Toy From Fatal Clubbing"

SUBBED IN clue: She's the subject of the 17th century headline seen here: Powhatan Princess Weds Widower, Peace Prevails!

So they kept Alex's intro, displayed a different text to us, and let us think that was the clue that proved a TS for Wayne, Dana, and Eric. In the name of... political correctness? Abundance of caution so soon after the Washington Team name change? Totally unnecessary and deceptive change in my opinion. Fire the person responsible. It's the only way they'll learn.

And if they're going to change this clue, shouldn't they change the Al Jolson one as well? After all, he uttered that line in blackface. And Wayne Brady's the one who rang in!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DD1 had "Dixie". :o
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 pm Original 2001 recording: It matches the Pocahontas clue as in the archive.
That's... just weird. I mean, it wasn't a great clue but it doesn't seem offensive.

2001 clue: She's the subject of the 17th century headline seen here: "LOCA POCA!! Saves Boy Toy From Fatal Clubbing"

SUBBED IN clue: She's the subject of the 17th century headline seen here: Powhatan Princess Weds Widower, Peace Prevails!

So they kept Alex's intro, displayed a different text to us, and let us think that was the clue that proved a TS for Wayne, Dana, and Eric. In the name of... political correctness? Abundance of caution so soon after the Washington Team name change? Totally unnecessary and deceptive change in my opinion. Fire the person responsible. It's the only way they'll learn.

And if they're going to change this clue, shouldn't they change the Al Jolson one as well? After all, he uttered that line in blackface. And Wayne Brady's the one who rang in!
Not offensive?? Handsome men everywhere have taken that sort of talk for too long!
davey

Post by davey »

For the record, when Jolson spoke that line in The Jazz Singer, he wasn't in blackface.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jolson+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The historicity of the new headline is at least undisputed.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This is why I'm hesitant to accept correction suggestions from these rebroadcasts, even if they are submitted with video corroboration.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:47 pm

The historicity of the new headline is at least undisputed.
Well, hey, if they're going back and correcting old clues, I've got some more suggestions! They could go back to 1996 to the game where Peter Nielsen lost despite giving the correct FJ response and wagering enough to win.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ardy_round

It would probably cost too much to do a deepfake of Peter actually getting credit for his correct response and winning the game. But they could easily sub in a revised clue that makes Mongolia correct and Kazkhstan wrong. Maybe just add the word "second" to the clue. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was boarding a plane many years ago, and as I'm getting into my seat, I see that sitting right in front of me was ... John Glenn. I couldn't resist, so I did start up a conversation. He was quite gracious.
davey

Post by davey »

Fast forwarding through the celebrity games...For the FJ I spent part of the :30 trying to remember (in vain) the name Jake Garn. I probably didn't have that distraction in 2001. In the end I went for the obvious...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 am I was boarding a plane many years ago, and as I'm getting into my seat, I see that sitting right in front of me was ... John Glenn. I couldn't resist, so I did start up a conversation. He was quite gracious.
I'd probably just end up impersonating a fish the whole flight. :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:11 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 am I was boarding a plane many years ago, and as I'm getting into my seat, I see that sitting right in front of me was ... John Glenn. I couldn't resist, so I did start up a conversation. He was quite gracious.
I'd probably just end up impersonating a fish the whole flight. :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
Then be sure not to sit next to Opus.
OCSam