Before and After: WoF or J?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Before and After: WoF or J?

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Did Before and After appear as a category on Jeopardy first, or Wheel of Fortune?
Ivoryface86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Before and After: WoF or J?

Post by Ivoryface86 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:55 pm Did Before and After appear as a category on Jeopardy first, or Wheel of Fortune?
Wheel of Fortune debuted that category first in February 1989(Charlie O'Donnell returned simultaneously). J! however didn't begin using that category until at least Season 14.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:01 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:55 pm Did Before and After appear as a category on Jeopardy first, or Wheel of Fortune?
Wheel of Fortune debuted that category first in February 1989(Charlie O'Donnell returned simultaneously). J! however didn't begin using that category until at least Season 14.
Jeopardy had it at least by Season 13; it appears in the Pat Sajak April Fool's show, April 1, 1997, and Pat doesn't describe how it works, so familiarity is assumed.

I thought that Wheel had it first, though.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:10 pm
Jeopardy had it at least by Season 13; it appears in the Pat Sajak April Fool's show, April 1, 1997, and Pat doesn't describe how it works, so familiarity is assumed.

From the way it's described in the archive, it might have been the first appearance on Pat's episode:
Now I want to warn you about BEFORE & AFTER. We stole that from another show, and, uh, you'll, you'll understand it as, as we play it. Don't worry about a thing.
The use of the word "stole" might imply that it's the first time it appeared on J!, and there's a double implication (RIP Bill Cullen) that it was already well-known from WOF.

As you might have noticed, the only prior hit for a category from the archive is "BEFORE" AND "AFTER", which was probably a pun on the WOF category, and not quite the same thing.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I've watched just a few episodes of Wheel of Fortune since the Alex/Pat crossover episodes, but I remember it coming up on Wheel a lot before then when I was little.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:10 pm

From the way it's described in the archive, it might have been the first appearance on Pat's episode:
Now I want to warn you about BEFORE & AFTER. We stole that from another show, and, uh, you'll, you'll understand it as, as we play it. Don't worry about a thing.
The use of the word "stole" might imply that it's the first time it appeared on J!, and there's a double implication (RIP Bill Cullen) that it was already well-known from WOF.

As you might have noticed, the only prior hit for a category from the archive is "BEFORE" AND "AFTER", which was probably a pun on the WOF category, and not quite the same thing.
Did they have Jeopardyish puzzles on the WOF episode Alex hosted?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^The WOF puzzles for the April 1, 1997 episode were the following:

Round 1, Phrase: PAT I'D LIKE TO SOLVE THE PUZZLE
Round 2, The 80's: VANNA MAKES HER WHEEL DEBUT
Round 3, Really Long Title: SUPERCALI-FRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOCIOUS
Round 4, Phrase: IT'S NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS
Bonus Round, Event: TRADING PLACES
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Before & After appeared as a category first on Wheel in 1989, and on J! on 4/1/97 (the Pat Sajak-hosted episode), as has been mentioned here a bunch. Since then, however, it is apparently the most common recurring category type to appear on J! ("recurring category type" here refers to things like "Crossword Clues (n)", "Potpourri/Hodgepodge", "Potent Potables", etc.)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 pm Before & After appeared as a category first on Wheel in 1989, and on J! on 4/1/97 (the Pat Sajak-hosted episode), as has been mentioned here a bunch. Since then, however, it is apparently the most common recurring category type to appear on J! ("recurring category type" here refers to things like "Crossword Clues (n)", "Potpourri/Hodgepodge", "Potent Potables", etc.)
Ooo, sorry..."Before & After" may be the single most common name for a category, but it is not the most common type. There have been 247 Before & After categories since April 1, 1997. During that time there have also been 249 Rhyme Time, 267 Potpourri/Hodgepodge, 270 Crossword Clues, and a whopping 603 #-Letter Words categories.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I sit corrected! We'll have to take away $1,600. Cheezguytv, you pick as we continue.