Monday, March 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6331, 2012-03-12

CONTESTANTS
Reid Rodgers, a locomotive mechanic from North Platte, Nebraska
Richard Elepano, a pediatrician from New York, New York
Jessamine Price, a graduate student in creative writing from Greenbelt, Maryland (whose 2-day cash winnings total $19,202)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. You've just met our players, our champion--Jessamine Price. Sounds like the name of a writer, doesn't it? And a successful one at that. She's won a couple of times on our program. Will she win again today against Reid and Richard? Let's begin finding out. Good luck to all three. We're going into the Jeopardy! Round, and today you deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOUR BIRTHDAY HOROSCOPE (5/5)
PRESIDENTIAL ARTIFACTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"U" TUBE (5/5)
THE SPORTING LIFE (4/5)
U.S. COMMUNITIES (5/5)
TONGUE, TWISTED (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that can be made from the letters in "tongues", so it'll be a shorter word.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Reid: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Richard: 10 R, 0 W
Jessamine: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Reid found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Jessamine had no money, Richard had $800, and Reid was at $200. Reid wagered $1,000.

PRESIDENTIAL ARTIFACTS $800: Documents relating to these agreements, the framework for peace in the Middle East, are at the Carter Library

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Reid: $4,400
Jessamine: $2,200
Richard: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Some of you will recall that recently, I had the good fortune to record clues for Jeopardy! at the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. And Reid Rodgers is a locomotive mechanic, which I will assume means you work on steam locomotives.

Reid: I have worked on steam locomotives. Actually, I work on Diesel locomotives.

Alex: Aha.

Reid: But I'm very concerned, because on the railroad, we try to get as far away from shovels as possible. [Laughs]

Alex: Uh-huh, but now it's automated.

Reid: Yes.

Alex: Except that I was shoveling--

Reid: Y-yes.

Alex: --on that steam locomotive.

Reid: Yes.

Alex: A lot of--now D--we say Diesel locomotive--

Reid: Mm-hmm.

Alex: --but the Diesel engine provides power--it generates power and it's an electric motor that, uh--

Reid: Right.

Alex: --moves the train.

Reid: Yeah, there's no drive shaft like in a car.

Alex: Yeah.

Reid: It's all, uh, traction motor, heavy motors that--that comes from the alternator that the engine drives.

Alex: Okay. Just wanted to get that point across.

Reid: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Richard Elepano is pediatrician--

Richard: Yeah.

Alex: --from New York, but you majored in music--

Richard: Yes, I did.

Alex: --in college.

Richard: Yeah.

Alex: How did you get from music to pediatrics?

Richard: Well, it was, uh, I've--since I was a child, I wanted to, uh, be a doctor, but as I grew older, I went to college, I found other interests. I, uh, I played the piano, I love the piano, so majored in music.

Alex: Okay, but now you're a pediatrician.

Richard: Yeah, yeah.

Alex: Working with kids...

Richard: I like the kids, yeah. Mm-hmm.

Alex: Very satisfying.

Alex: Jessamine Price is our champion. Was a deejay at a, uh, small radio station and got into trouble one day. Forgot to bleep out a swear word?

Jessamine: I forgot the song that I put on had on pretty bad swear word in it, and I-I didn't get to the button in time to stop it from going out on the--on the air. And I immediately got a call from our one listener.

[Laughter]

Jessamine: It was at a small radio, small broadcast radio station.

Alex: Okay.

Jessamine: The FCC never found out.

Alex: There's always one of those out there.

Jessamine: Yes.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE SPORTING LIFE $400: In 1884 Maud Watson won the first women's singles tennis competition at this British venue
(Reid: What is Wimbleton?)
[Originally ruled correct; reversed before Daily Double at clue 6.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Reid: $8,000
Richard: $5,200
Jessamine: $4,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ZOOLOGY (3/4)
FBI TV (4/5)
HERR BANDS (1/1)
BRITISH DRAMA CHARACTER NAMES (2/5)
WE LOVE YOU, CONRAD (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"O.S." WE DO (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Richard: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jessamine: 4 R, 0 W
Reid: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Richard snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Jessamine had $4,600, Richard had $10,800, and Reid was at $9,200. Richard wagered $1,200.

WE LOVE YOU, CONRAD $1200: As a part of this 1969 mission, Charles "Pete" Conrad became the third man to walk on the Moon
(Richard: Uh, what is, uh... Apollo 11?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BRITISH DRAMA CHARACTER NAMES $400: In 1696 "The Relapse" featured characters like Sir Tunbelly Clumsy & Syringe, who has this job
(Reid: What's a barber?)

ZOOLOGY $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows some insects on the monitor.) Belonging to the same insect order as the stick insect is another inconspicuous one--look closer--aptly named this

FBI TV $800: Joe Mantegna joined the cast when Mandy Patinkin left this show about an FBI unit that tracks serial killers

WE LOVE YOU, CONRAD $800: The first of 4 emperors of the Salian dynasty, Conrad II of Swabia was crowned this on Easter 1027

"O.S." WE DO $1200: "Little Rhody" also has this official nickname
(Reid: Uh...)

"O.S." WE DO $1600: Term used today for dates on the superseded Julian calendar

WE LOVE YOU, CONRAD $2000: A 2007 fraud conviction "darkened" the good name of this Canadian-born onetime owner of 100s of newspapers

BRITISH DRAMA CHARACTER NAMES $1600: Not Little Jack, just plain this is the seducer hero of "The Country Wife"

BRITISH DRAMA CHARACTER NAMES $2000: This saintly name belongs to 1 of the "Two Gentlemen of Verona", & also, fittingly, to the hero of "Love for Love"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Richard: $11,600
Reid: $10,800
Jessamine: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PEOPLE OF EUROPE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Richard: Wager $10,001 to cover Reid.
Reid: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Jessamine, hoping that you give the correct response and Richard doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $8,001 to cover Jessamine's doubled score, but no more than $9,200 if you want to top Richard on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,399 and win if both Richard and Jessamine miss Final.
Jessamine: You ought to try wagering between $1,401 and $6,600. This will top a $0 wager by Reid while still beating Richard and Reid on the Triple Stumper (should Richard wager to cover Reid's doubled score and Reid wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These people who ruled large parts of Spain before Celtic & Roman dominance left their name on the land

FINAL SCORES
Jessamine: $9,400 - $1,799 = $7,601 (Who are the Basques?) (3-day champion: $26,803)
Reid: $10,800 - $9,000 = $1,800 (Who are the Hibernians) (2nd place: $2,000)
Richard: $11,600 - $10,001 = $1,599 (Who were Basque?) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Richard: $12,800, 16 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Reid: $10,600, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Jessamine: $9,400, 11 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Reid: 17/59 = .288
Richard: 16/59 = .271
Jessamine: 11/58 = .190
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PRESIDENTIAL ARTIFACTS $200: His library & museum has a sculpture of him as the Sphinx

PRESIDENTIAL ARTIFACTS $600: Marshal Zhukov presented Eisenhower with the Order of Victory, a military decoration of this colorful army

THE SPORTING LIFE $600: (Hannah Storm presents the clue.) Flo-Jo's sister-in-law, she won the heptathlon gold at the 1988 & 1992 Olympics as well as a 1988 long jump gold medal

TONGUE, TWISTED $400: To pull with force, perhaps like a certain boat
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you're right.)

WE LOVE YOU, CONRAD $1600: Time magazine's first literary cover boy, in April 1923, was this author of "Nostromo"
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

ZOOLOGY $1600: They're the respiratory organs of squid & octopi as well as fish
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Camp David Accords
Wimbledon
Apollo 12
the doctor
a leaf insect
Criminal Minds
Holy Roman Emperor
the Ocean State
old style
Conrad Black
Mr. Horner
Valentine
the Iberians
FDR
the Red Army
Jackie Joyner-Kersee
tug
Joseph Conrad
gills
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

People of Europe
These people who ruled large parts of Spain before Celtic & Roman dominance left their name on the land.
Spoiler
Who are the Iberians? Jessamine and Richard both said Basques, and Reid said Ibernians, as he had written Hibernians, then crossed out the "H", but still had the extra "N" in the middle, which Alex mistakenly called an "R", so his answer was ruled incorrect.
Richard Elepano: $11,600-$10,001=$1,599
Reid Rodgers: $10,800-$9,000=$1,800
Jessamine Price: $ 9,400-$1,799=$7,601...now a 3-day champion with $26,803
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

This is really weird. I got 18 right in the first round alone to give me 23 right total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yes, WNEM, I applaud you for at least having a decent reason to cut in for weather warnings — the tornado really was on the radar this time, so you didn't have to re-iterate "as you can see, there's nothing on the screen" 25 times. But that still doesn't cover the fact that your chief meteorologist can't string more than one word together without an "uh".

Board seemed fairly meh today. Nothing was pwning me except the British Drama Characters, but nothing was really easy either. I keep getting the zodiac signs mixed up — somehow, I keep thinking Sagittarius is the goat.

Contestants seemed a tad sluggish today, too. There should NEVER be a LTaM after only 20 clues.

NHO "original sin". Really.

Not even a guess on FJ!
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

It's kinda sad that I never stopped to consider why it's called the Iberian Peninsula until tonight. Not knowing that embarrassingly obvious connection is probably why I stumbled into the right answer 20 seconds in, rather than it being instaget (though it probably still should've been).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Poor Reid ... done in by two errant letters (OK, maybe a few more on that FJ response).

No shot on FJ. Didn't know there was a people called "Iberians". I guessed Andalusians.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Kind of a slow game today -- LTAM warning with 10 clues left in DJ?

Given that Criminal Minds is my older sister's favorite TV show, it was easy Lach Trash. (I precalled it upon seeing the category name.)

Bad break for Reid on FJ. Congrats to Jessamine for managing another win.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:Poor Reid ... done in by two errant letters (OK, maybe a few more on that FJ response).
Those were letters? I have terrible handwriting, and it looked like a drawing of spaghetti to me.

Also, Criminal Minds is one of my sister's favorite shows.
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

I actually did very well tonight and even got the FJ correct. I started with Catalans but thought of Iberian after that since Spain was on the Iberian peninsula. Tough luck for Reid on his poor handwriting. I'm finally tracking how well I do each night, it's pretty fun to do, really puts into perspective how well you are in contrast to the other players, I guess.
Last edited by jaxjags on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't have a sister, but Criminal Minds is my wife's favorite show.

I did well picking up TOMs tonight. I have never heard of Conrad Black, but guessed his name from "dark" being in the clue. I also figured the mention of Easter would indicate Conrad was HRE. I also had a good guess on Valentine from the wording.

Had Reid not flubbed the Wimbledon pronunciation, there would have been a tie going into FJ, assuming the doctor made the same bet on his DD.

No chance on FJ, I wrote down Moors right away just to have something. Then I thought about the spelling of Spain/Espana and went with Etruscans, being the closest name of a group I could think of. Never knew there was a people called the Iberians.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

DWS wrote:Kind of a slow game today -- LTAM warning with 10 clues left in DJ?
And I only remember one Daily Double uncovered (Conrad category). Either I forgot one or one DD went begging.
econgator wrote:Poor Reid ... done in by two errant letters (OK, maybe a few more on that FJ response).

No shot on FJ. Didn't know there was a people called "Iberians". I guessed Andalusians.
I guessed "Catalans"

I think "Iberians" hit Reid at the last moment but he did not have enough time to change his answer. If only the ancient Hibernians were the ancient Hiberians :)
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

jaxjags wrote:I actually did very well tonight and even got the FJ correct. I started with Catalans but thought of Iberian after that since Spain was on the Iberian peninsula. Tough luck for Reid on his poor handwriting. I'm finally tracking how well I do each night, it's pretty fun to do, really puts into perspective how well you are in contrast to the other players, I guess.
I don't think the problem was his penmanship so much as the fact that Hibernians has an n in the middle that is not in Iberians. When he realized the correct answer, he crossed off the H but didn't get rid of that pesky n as well.

Edit: Yeah, what snaxx said.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

DWS wrote:Given that Criminal Minds is my older sister's favorite TV show, it was easy Lach Trash. (I precalled it upon seeing the category name.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, Criminal Minds is one of my sister's favorite shows.
Bamaman wrote:I don't have a sister, but Criminal Minds is my wife's favorite show.
I don't have a wife... I have a sister... an older sister... But Criminal Minds is my favourite ((current) non-Jeopardy!) show.

Oh, and I pre-called Numb3rs in addition to Criminal Minds. The only one that stumped me in the cat was Bones.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I was a little miffed that Wimbleton was accepted. They should be watching for mistakes like that, as (I am sure) they do for Revelations, and Bridge Over Troubled Waters. That could have been money for somebody on a quick rebound.

Bran
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

nlw44 wrote:
jaxjags wrote:I actually did very well tonight and even got the FJ correct. I started with Catalans but thought of Iberian after that since Spain was on the Iberian peninsula. Tough luck for Reid on his poor handwriting. I'm finally tracking how well I do each night, it's pretty fun to do, really puts into perspective how well you are in contrast to the other players, I guess.
I don't think the problem was his penmanship so much as the fact that Hibernians has an n in the middle that is not in Iberians. When he realized the correct answer, he crossed off the H but didn't get rid of that pesky n as well.

Edit: Yeah, what snaxx said.
Yeah, I guess either way it still would have looked unreadable. I could tell he was going for Iberians once he explained his reasoning. He must have run out of time to just scrap what he wrote and start over.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

It was pretty obvious that Wimbleton would be reversed when I can hear it.
Disappointed that Herr Bands was not about German rock bands. Picked up Holy Roman Emperor and old style trash.
Flirted with Andalusians a bit in FJ, but got to the Iberians. :D
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

In FJ!, Basques was screaming at me, but I ignored it because I could not think of any way that that could refer to (any current name of) the land. If Etruscans had crossed my mind, I am sure that I would have stuck with it, thereby dooming myself. I thought of Catalans and also threw it out. Each time that Iberians came to me I dismissed it due to not knowing any "people" called that, but I finally settled on it because it sounded less wrong than the other guesses.

So, another week that I know I won't have to check 'that' box.

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, I considered "Iberians" but (a) I've never heard of Iberians, despite knowing the name for the peninsula, and (b) figured that since they specifically excluded the other country on the Iberian peninsula, i.e., Portugal, that that would indicate the answer was not related to the name Iberia. Went with Moors because I had watched the "Bubble Boy" episode of Seinfeld immediately preceding Jeopardy. I knew Moops was wrong. Sigh.

Was anyone else getting the tiniest bit perturbed by the amount of "uh's" tonight? And if you're regularly getting TS's on the lowest value clues, that might indicate the clues are mis-valued, n'est-ce pas?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I forgot to mention that Moops did cross my mind also. Again, I dismissed it for the same reason as I did Basques.

And the ums and uhs were Excruciating. Not to mention, with the LTaM 54 seconds ago and two clues left (in the same category) "Umm, I'll take [full category name] for $800 please Alex".

Brian