Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Squeaked out a win 7(4)-6(5) yesterday. I figured "to be hoisted by one's own petard" was a more common phrase than my opponent did. Happy to take 3 points for it!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:56 pm I was thinking of Biden :oops:
I did the exact same thing. As soon as I submitted and saw MN, I said to myself, "Moron, Biden is Delaware."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:08 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 am I expected a much higher get rate on Q1 yesterday (anchor). I can see putting "pundit," which was the MCWA at 14%, but that plus anchor at 42% gives 56%. I wonder what the other 44% came up with? This one seemed like a WECIB? type question to me.
"Political analyst." This question for me was just, "What term for someone working in TV news was first used as such in 1952?" with nothing pointing me in any direction.
The mention of CBS in the question was doing the heavy lifting that came from not mentioning "Walter Cronkite" by name.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

Didn't have to spend much time on the VP question because I knew it cold, Humphrey and Mondale ---- so that's what I submitted. I thought I had already learned the harsh lesson of RTFQ but I guess not. That it urned out not to matter took some of the sting out but it still smarts. Never again!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 am Can not believe I typed camshaft instead of crankshaft...

At least it didn’t cost me the win.
My first and only thought was drive shaft, thanks to LOST.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 am I expected a much higher get rate on Q1 yesterday (anchor). I can see putting "pundit," which was the MCWA at 14%, but that plus anchor at 42% gives 56%. I wonder what the other 44% came up with? This one seemed like a WECIB? type question to me.
I had "pundit" first but decided to go with "talking head".

"Anchor" never occurred to me. I guess I wasn't considering a more simple term like that.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

For the second time this season, A Continental has an all-boardie leaderboard today: Bomtr, Reddpen and I (not coincidentally, my LLama-daddy, LLama-granddaddy and I, one big dysfunctional family) sit atop the standings. I don’t expect it to last very long, but it’s a cool sight while it lasts.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I am kind of mad at myself. My first instinct on the NBA question was, "oh, I've heard this before, this is Malone", but then I decided that wasn't right because I couldn't think of the other one besides Karl. Can't believe I forgot Mr. "Fo-Fo-Fo", Moses Malone. Ended up going with Johnson, hoping that maybe Kevin Johnson was somehow that good, even though I was pretty sure he wasn't.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:50 am I am kind of mad at myself. My first instinct on the NBA question was, "oh, I've heard this before, this is Malone", but then I decided that wasn't right because I couldn't think of the other one besides Karl. Can't believe I forgot Mr. "Fo-Fo-Fo", Moses Malone. Ended up going with Johnson, hoping that maybe Kevin Johnson was somehow that good, even though I was pretty sure he wasn't.
With something I knew I must know I spent more time figuring out Malone than I did on the other five Qs plus defense. Turned out not to matter in a 6(4)-4(4) victory to get a one-pointer.

Bird and Johnson were annoying distractors that wanted to keep buzzing in my head. Then I considered Thomas for a common last name. The solution that worked for me was to think of teams in the Finals and their stars. Aha! Malone+Malone must be it, though only after playing the Laker/Celtic/Piston/Bull brainstorm game.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:11 am
teapot37 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:50 am I am kind of mad at myself. My first instinct on the NBA question was, "oh, I've heard this before, this is Malone", but then I decided that wasn't right because I couldn't think of the other one besides Karl. Can't believe I forgot Mr. "Fo-Fo-Fo", Moses Malone. Ended up going with Johnson, hoping that maybe Kevin Johnson was somehow that good, even though I was pretty sure he wasn't.
With something I knew I must know I spent more time figuring out Malone than I did on the other five Qs plus defense. Turned out not to matter in a 6(4)-4(4) victory to get a one-pointer.

Bird and Johnson were annoying distractors that wanted to keep buzzing in my head. Then I considered Thomas for a common last name. The solution that worked for me was to think of teams in the Finals and their stars. Aha! Malone+Malone must be it, though only after playing the Laker/Celtic/Piston/Bull brainstorm game.
Johnson was a bit of negbait, but I knew the Bird/Magic NCAA Final was in 79 so ruled them out. Then I remembered 97 when Karl Malone won the MVP but Jordan destroyed him and the Jazz in the NBA Championship. I hadn't realized Moses won MVP in 82 and 83 when Bird, Magic, Kareem, Isiah, and Dr J were in their primes.
All didn't matter as I lost 5(4)- 6(5), having never heard of the British guy and missing the lit (of course). I did beat the 12FootBoy in the JBoardlite rundle though!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 am Johnson was a bit of negbait, but I knew the Bird/Magic NCAA Final was in 79 so ruled them out.
I grew up in Lansing, Michigan, so that fact is etched in my brain. I didn't realize Moses Malone started in the NBA quite that early, but the late '90s sure seemed right for Karl's prime, so I was pretty confident.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

My opponent and I assigned the same exact points to each other. I knew Keir Starmer and he didn’t so I won 9(6)-6(5).
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 pm
classicroadster wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 am Johnson was a bit of negbait, but I knew the Bird/Magic NCAA Final was in 79 so ruled them out.
I grew up in Lansing, Michigan, so that fact is etched in my brain. I didn't realize Moses Malone started in the NBA quite that early, but the late '90s sure seemed right for Karl's prime, so I was pretty confident.
Malone's 18th and final season in the NBA was 2003-04, when he was a member of the L.A. Lakers--the only season he wasn't a member of the Utah Jazz. The Lakers lost to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 NBA Finals.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 am
Johnson was a bit of negbait, but I knew the Bird/Magic NCAA Final was in 79 so ruled them out. Then I remembered 97 when Karl Malone won the MVP but Jordan destroyed him and the Jazz in the NBA Championship. I hadn't realized Moses won MVP in 82 and 83 when Bird, Magic, Kareem, Isiah, and Dr J were in their primes.
All didn't matter as I lost 5(4)- 6(5), having never heard of the British guy and missing the lit (of course). I did beat the 12FootBoy in the JBoardlite rundle though!
After 13 Science questions in a row, the hiatus comes during our match :( . At least I defended properly, figuring you had both Marathon and the hoops questions as locks. A four pack on that set was pretty good, I just wagged Golan Heights for the territory (yeah, I know, look at a map sometime). Too bad there wasn't a crankshaft question for the car guy :). Congrats on grabbing the lead, it will take some some category breaks and good defense for me or Armandillo to unseat you.

I have flubbed a question 3 days in a row to drop out of first in both rundles. I think I would have got them all if I cogitated them for more than 2 minutes. I thought of Karl Malone and dismissed the name as being too novel even though I know of Moses' career, but never paid attention to who gets MVP. I somehow turned Calvin Murphy into Calvin Johnson (yes, Megatron) and paired him with Magic. I blew the Japan/Russia with similar sloth, and I made a list for the Veeps with Agnew, NJ(?) and Mondale (ME?). When I got to GHWB from ME, I just checked the rest and took it without thinking deeper about what I actually remember about Fritz.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Who else didn't notice that the question was asking for the nickname, and answered buckminsterfullerene instead of buckyballs? It cost me a 9(6) tie.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:32 am Who else didn't notice that the question was asking for the nickname, and answered buckminsterfullerene instead of buckyballs? It cost me a 9(6) tie.
I have heard of Buckyballs, never knew what they were or why they were named that. I did figure out Buckminster Fuller, used the wrong coin and flipped it on Buckminsters or Fullers, submitted Buckminsters; wrong answer.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:32 am Who else didn't notice that the question was asking for the nickname, and answered buckminsterfullerene instead of buckyballs? It cost me a 9(6) tie.
*Raises Hand*
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

YIL the Mississippi Delta and the Mississippi River Delta are two different things...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One of the CBS affiliates I access is Cleveland, MS and they have a Delta logo, so I got that music Q through a TV path.

In my group I was was 1 of 2 with a 9(6) and fortunately we did not play each other. Fugard = SA at 26%? Watch J! it helps.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am One of the CBS affiliates I access is Cleveland, MS and they have a Delta logo, so I got that music Q through a TV path.

In my group I was was 1 of 2 with a 9(6) and fortunately we did not play each other. Fugard = SA at 26%? Watch J! it helps.
I mentioned to one of my pub trivia pals (and fellow LLama) that Fugard is Pavlovian for SA to me, along with Paton and Nadine Gordimer.