Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am One of the CBS affiliates I access is Cleveland, MS and they have a Delta logo, so I got that music Q through a TV path.
There is a Delta State University in Cleveland. That helped me get it.

I have gotten exactly three right for eight straight matches. You’d think that would be good in E but I have gone 2-5-1 in those matches, with a win yesterday by forfeit.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am One of the CBS affiliates I access is Cleveland, MS and they have a Delta logo, so I got that music Q through a TV path.

In my group I was was 1 of 2 with a 9(6) and fortunately we did not play each other. Fugard = SA at 26%? Watch J! it helps.
I mentioned to one of my pub trivia pals (and fellow LLama) that Fugard is Pavlovian for SA to me, along with Paton and Nadine Gordimer.
Could this discussion get any more Boering?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

When you described the logo that way, I was picturing something more triangular... but it turns out their "Delta logo" is this:

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

jev15 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:51 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:32 am Who else didn't notice that the question was asking for the nickname, and answered buckminsterfullerene instead of buckyballs? It cost me a 9(6) tie.
*Raises Hand*
I actually wasn't positive that the C60 molecule was the buckyball structure and answered buckyball/fullerenes figuring enough of his name was in there to get credit. I can also report that my sister just guessed "buckies" and received credit, but kudos for figuring it out from the non-scientific angle. I guess Thorsten thinks people in labs just say "hand me that box of buckies" :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I had Argentina instantly after reading the question but I convinced myself to switch to Uruguay due to their flag being more striped. I guess the question did mention vertical stripes.

For Q3 I had Ross Perot and Mike Pence written down. I ended up going with Pence due to "educational" being in quotes. I thought it was some gay conversion organization or something. But apparently Pence's involvement in such things are more rumour than fact.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had read a couple weeks ago about Gingrich being in some scandal related to some history class he taught so I went with him even though I felt Perot was the better answer.

Didn’t matter as that was my zero point question and had a tie even if I get it right.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Got my first regular season beer! :) :) :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had an embarrassing 0(1)-7(5) loss yesterday. I had no idea on any of them except for the Tom Sawyer question.

This season has felt kind of strange in that I feel like it has played hard, but I am somehow batting .510 in TCA, and I only finished one previous season above .500. I also have the second fewest TCA in my C rundle but am in 12th place out of 22. Clearly there is room for me to regress in TCA, so I am still afraid of being relegated.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Third of four games (and four of seven) where I've lost 9(6)-7(5).

Remember that the Mid-season Classic is this weekend!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

I feel sort of embarrassed I missed the Perot question the other day. From the get-rate I can see it wasn't that hard a question, but I still don't actually see what gave it away for people. Was this organization in the news a lot at the time?

(I guessed Gingrich because I knew he was a history professor and thought he might have been involved in an effort to make school curriculums more patriotic or something along those lines.)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:24 pm Remember that the Mid-season Classic is this weekend!
The Mid-season Classic is this weekend?

The Mid-season Classic is this weekend!
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 am I had read a couple weeks ago about Gingrich being in some scandal related to some history class he taught so I went with him even though I felt Perot was the better answer.

Didn’t matter as that was my zero point question and had a tie even if I get it right.
I started with Gingrich and then remembered to read.every.word. Some recent clues that channel this mantra:

Q3: founded and financed (eliminates Gingrich, he would have stolen from the organization ; eta i bolded the wrong word first)

Q6: identical meaning and provenance (I might not have toughed out the mental gymnastics without knowing I was looking for a place name)

and yesterday,

Q3: The Rev. Jerry Prevo (mostly a WECIB, but nice to confirm in advance)

I reluctantly answered "Title 9", instead of "Title IX" even though I'd never seen the numeral used before. I assume the spelled out term is the retailer logo.

I managed to stem my slide against a weak opponent and get back in the promotion zone bubble. I'm second in TCA, sixth in the rundle, and dead last 32nd place for defense with a whopping 0.452. I will have to do the math to see what the floor is if I'd played every game as opposite strategy, but I can't be far from it :lol:.

The JBL rundle is more of a rumble than a rundle at present, and Armandillo has the target on his back for now :twisted: . The car guy is lurking in second just drafting until the last lap to pull the NASCAR move. You don't want to be in the lead the last lap of a NASCAR race or an elite 1500 meter track event. I just hope to be on the same lap and not in the pits :).
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:24 pm The car guy is lurking in second just drafting until the last lap to pull the NASCAR move. You don't want to be in the lead the last lap of a NASCAR race or an elite 1500 meter track event. I just hope to be on the same lap and not in the pits :).
Never get into a battle of wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line! oh wait, I'm Mexican. Nevermind.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:24 pm Q3: founded and financed (eliminates Gingrich, he would have stolen)
Bolding financed would've worked too, plus that's the word that swayed it more towards Perot for me.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:32 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:24 pm Q3: founded and financed (eliminates Gingrich, he would have stolen)
Bolding financed would've worked too, plus that's the word that swayed it more towards Perot for me.
Thanks for the astute reading - I erred in my post and meant to embolden the finance word (fixed now). That is what tipped me to the right answer in spite of the apparent fit to Gingrich. I know he didn't finance anything on his dime.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Could have gotten into the top-5 in Taiga B if I weren't too chicken to money "Yellowstone". Ah well.
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:09 pm Could have gotten into the top-5 in Taiga B if I weren't too chicken to money "Yellowstone". Ah well.
Not the same, but I should've gambled on moneying Amy Grant anyway; only female Christian singer I could name... (I know her from two things: a pretty good Big Yellow Taxi cover from the 90s and a Family Guy reference.)

Also...Maine Coon scored -that- high? Seriously? On the internet?! :shock:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I had HADID until I switched to MOSS
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/12 in missing #3, 10 & 11. I monied 1,4,8,9 & 12. I can see I'm with econgator in regretting laying off moneying Yellowstone. Better $ work would have obviously given me a better finish than 1917/8086 and 7th in Serengeti B. Sorry to my groupmates.

I would have known the jockeys with any one of the five names and almost did not money that one in thinking it was too easy with so many famous names. I clicked the $ in figuring it's sports, so I have to do it. At least I did something right to get the 89 there.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 pm I would have known the jockeys with any one of the five names and almost did not money that one in thinking it was too easy with so many famous names. I clicked the $ in figuring it's sports, so I have to do it. At least I did something right to get the 89 there.
John Velazquez was one of the very first flashcards I made last year when I started doing Anki in earnest. He was thrown by Bodexpress at the beginning of the Preakness, and the horse finished without him. I wouldn't have gotten this otherwise.

I see by Wikipedia, he also jockied this year's Kentucky Derby winner. That I did not know. I'm way behind on my current events cards.