Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by StevenH »

I lost out on the coin flip between Lumumba and Kabila, though that's on me since I should have known that Kabila is still alive. I also could not pull Piltdown and knew that it would be something that I've definitely heard of.

I did get the other 4 and got the win. Bonheur I knew from my quiz bowl studies. I also deduced that the reality show had to be a cooking show and threw out Hell's Kitchen as a guess. I feel like there has been at least one question in the past on cooking reality shows where I guessed Hell's Kitchen; I'm glad that it finally came up!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:06 ammy opponent somehow came up with Bonheur, who I don't think I've ever heard of.
I wonder how many knew her and how many got it from the "happiness?" clue. "Happiness" in French is "bonheur", but like you, I had never heard of her, so it was no help to me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:06 am I dunno; this meme business seems to have gotten out of control. I guess Kyrgyzstan could vie for a BWA if the question were something like name a small American state, but otherwise ... meh.

I'm proud of how deeply I had to reach to come up with Lumumba. I couldn't get Kabila or Mobutu out of head and took all day (and a few runs through the alphabet) before something finally sparked and I came up with him. Alas, it only got me a 6(5)-6(4) tie since my opponent somehow came up with Bonheur, who I don't think I've ever heard of. Plus I don't recognize either of those two pictures, even after seeing them.
I was also pleased with my Lumumba get, especially as I’d whiffed on Nkrumah earlier this season. And, yeah, that Bonheur question was a killer. I confidently put down Morisot and put a 3 on it for defense.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

+1 Morisot. I had scribbled “bonheur” on my notebook but had no name recognition. I figured Morisot was later so wasn’t surprised to be wrong there
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

The "happiness" clue was the clincher for me, but I was leaning toward Bonheur already because both paintings were unfamiliar. I think I've picked up more about Morisot because she's often covered with the other impressionists.

I was a bit annoyed not to have been zeroed on Hell's Kitchen (given my NYC location), but slightly more for missing it. I blame my forgetting the deadline until late.

Going back, I thought "French-born Kylian Mbappé" might well be a soccer player, but I didn't know FIFA was a video game (which, to make another Sporcle reference, are the Pokemon of the LL). Guessed Armenia, thinking the clue might be meant to remind of the genocide (that Remembrance Day is actually April 24). I didn't like my answer being coupled with Azerbaijan on that LL forum survey as my guess was much better. Guessed Keith Richards as the classic rock star arguably once a drug fiend himself. I lucked into cation, thinking the "an" of "anion" was a negative prefix. It isn't, though it sometimes means "without" (sorry if I sound like a schoolteacher; I'm trying to teach myself here).

Like last season, this one is lasting one day too long for me. Last time I was 9-8-7 at this point and this time I'm 8-8-8.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And final standings coming down to the last game... this is going to be a long day...
(If my napkin math is good, there are still eight viable for the last two promotion spots...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:35 pm (If my napkin math is good, there are still eight viable for the last two promotion spots...)
Probably more like 4. Some of them play each other and realistically the two 27's have MPDs low enough that they have no shot at a tie breaker.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Add another for Morisot. My brain kept coming back to Cassatt, but she's American.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I also guessed Morisot.

I was fairly certain that the date provided in the clue was too early for impressionism but I had never heard of Bonheur so I went with Morisot in the hopes I had my dates confused.

As I knew realism was the likely movement for that time, I also considered Millet on the logic that maybe I had his gender wrong in my head and he was actually a woman.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My MD25 match is against FrankJ and he's in first place and I'm in second going in!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I am first in the Maso rankings (TMP) and second in the Sandra rankings (DE) in my league... and currently sit in 6th, although 2 points out of third.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nothing represents my season better than losing my last match 8(5)-9(5).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Another season, another middle-of-the-pack A rundle finish. My latest referral had it rough, finishing in the relegation zone in B, after a season where he gave the same number of correct responses as his opponent in 9 matches, and went 0-7-2 in those matches. Two more wins would have sufficed to keep him in B for a second season.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I finished the season with an embarrassing 2(1)-7(5) loss, with my only get being "gi." I thought that the countries question had something to do with soccer and originally guessed France, then made the switch to China. It cost me a 75 TCA season.

I was pretty close to average this season, finishing with a .493 average in TCA (the league average was .507) and ending up 13th out of 22 in my C rundle.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

StevenH wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:36 am I finished the season with an embarrassing 2(1)-7(5) loss, with my only get being "gi." I thought that the countries question had something to do with soccer and originally guessed France, then made the switch to China. It cost me a 75 TCA season.

I was pretty close to average this season, finishing with a .493 average in TCA (the league average was .507) and ending up 13th out of 22 in my C rundle.
Yeah, in the soccer question, the pairs were host nation/winner for the men's FIFA World Cup starting in 1966, and France was the last nation to win as the host, back in 1998. (That's happened six times: Uruguay and Italy at the first two World Cups in 1930 and 1934, and the four times listed in the question - England 1966, West Germany 1974, Argentina 1978, and France 1998.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Out with my customary whimper, finishing on the wronger side of a 2(2)-3(2).

Of the four Alcott girls, Amy is the only one that isn't (probably) a nickname. I wonder if that was meant to be important. I didn't think so. Still, I can't complain about a last-chance one-in-four shot on a clue with three possible paths.

On seeing "gi" as the answer, I thought it'd be listed under games/sport. Martial arts for sport, Scrabble for game, as "gi" was one of four new 2s added to the North American dictionary a few years back. Alas, I wasn't really playing by then and I never bothered to learn those meanings. I guessed "do" hoping that "jo" meant gymnasium.

I thought "flying fox" had a fighting chance. Aren't big ears what allowed Dumbo to fly? I wasn't going to get fennec, which, come to think, I was also introduced to via Scrabble. I wasted more time than I'd realized with that game.
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

From this lousy season I had, I'm OK, with my TCA, but the bright side is a BWA nominee...but possibly two nominations for BWA.

I can only say possibly two as I'm not sure I actually submitted the attempt on one of the nominated BWAs, so it's possible that nomination belongs to someone else.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

For the first time in my 27-season career, I finished without a tie. I also set a personal high in MCW with 20. Other than that, pretty average.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Lefty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:44 am

I thought "flying fox" had a fighting chance. Aren't big ears what allowed Dumbo to fly? I wasn't going to get fennec, which, come to think, I was also introduced to via Scrabble. I wasted more time than I'd realized with that game.
There is a creature known as a flying fox, but it’s a very large species of bat.
Woof

Post by Woof »

My season was very much like teapot’s. High up in the Maso standings, better than normal DE, but finished 4th. Congrats to bomtr and HBomb for finishing in top 3!