Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by MarkBarrett »

6th in Sandra for me with .809 and staying in B. 3 for France? :lol: Nice to end with a 7(5)-1(1).
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Finished out my rookie season in 10th, which is good enough for a D promotion in a very small rundle (18 total). I look forward to joining twelvefootboy's C/D/E private rundle next season!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had a disastrous final match day yesterday, falling from second to fourth in my rundle and also dropping out of the lead in the Maso standings. All because I missed a single question (Q1: I put Dunkirk).

Congrats to FrankJ for the victory yesterday, first place in the rundle, and knocking me out of the Maso lead. Talk about putting the hammer down!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Finished up LL86 with personal records in TCA, TMP, and 3 pointers and 12/38 in my C Rundle which I'm pretty happy with...Ended up with a disappointing 4(4) - 4(2) tie with the rundle leader yesterday. Found it pretty hard to defend (obviously), my opponents film score was his best of the days questions, but he missed both film related q's and got the soccer and karate ones with a sub-0.500 games/sport.
Tied with the 12FootBoy to end up second in JBoardlite. Looking forward to next season!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Loved how that Hank Williams clue could work either as pop music, sports or current events (and yet still played low...)

And back up to The Show. Wasn't entirely mine to win, but I'll take it! (...for a season probably...is stressful up there with a TCA in the 90s...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:01 am Loved how that Hank Williams clue could work either as pop music, sports or current events (and yet still played low...)

And back up to The Show. Wasn't entirely mine to win, but I'll take it! (...for a season probably...is stressful up there with a TCA in the 90s...)
Baffled that played so low. I gave it a zero because it just seemed like such a slam dunk. Tied because of that. Staying in B for another season, which is aaaaaaaaaaaaaa-ok.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:00 am From this lousy season I had, I'm OK, with my TCA, but the bright side is a BWA nominee...but possibly two nominations for BWA.

I can only say possibly two as I'm not sure I actually submitted the attempt on one of the nominated BWAs, so it's possible that nomination belongs to someone else.
You can see your answers here:

https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/pastanswers.php
econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:08 am For the first time in my 27-season career, I finished without a tie. I also set a personal high in MCW with 20. Other than that, pretty average.
That is a lot for MCWA. My highest is 18.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I tied my personal high MCWA with 9.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

A sort of bittersweet ending to my rookie season. I finished 11th and missed the C rundle by a single point, so I'll be heading to D. A degree of tough luck I think, as I was sixth in Defensive Efficiency, and eighth in both TMP and TCA. And my .613 correct answer % was comparable to the average number for the B rundle in my league (.616%)

Oh, it makes much more sense that those BWA are chosen after the season and are submitted for consideration by the users. I was thinking it must be a ton of work for the commissioner to try to seek those out.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:16 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:00 am From this lousy season I had, I'm OK, with my TCA, but the bright side is a BWA nominee...but possibly two nominations for BWA.

I can only say possibly two as I'm not sure I actually submitted the attempt on one of the nominated BWAs, so it's possible that nomination belongs to someone else.
You can see your answers here:

https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/pastanswers.php
well that leaves me with one nomination since I took a realistic guess on the other one but had the same thought as the one nominated.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

As one of the smiths, I am obliged to note that registration has opened for the 1960s Music ML. Hopefully people will be challenged and enjoy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:53 pm As one of the smiths, I am obliged to note that registration has opened for the 1960s Music ML. Hopefully people will be challenged and enjoy.
I’m in. Someone has to go 0-11, might as well be me.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:53 pm As one of the smiths, I am obliged to note that registration has opened for the 1960s Music ML. Hopefully people will be challenged and enjoy.
Thanks for the head's up. I'd have probably remembered anyway, but I'll always take the reminder.

5 out of 6 on the samples, looks like you all might just hit that magical ModKos PG.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:05 pm
I’m in. Someone has to go 0-11, might as well be me.
Yeah, I don't do 1DSs unless someone I know smithed them. I'll be there fighting for the cellar.

(Looks like Vermonter might be one of the main smiths?)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:54 pmOh, it makes much more sense that those BWA are chosen after the season and are submitted for consideration by the users.
User submission is absolutely NOT a consideration. Is it just me being cranky, or could the Best Wrong Answer chitchat thread be relabeled "People who aren't as funny as they think"? I mean, not all of them, but...
bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:54 pmI was thinking it must be a ton of work for the commissioner to try to seek those out.
It's a ton of work, but the commish has farmed out that duty to a committee of volunteers, some more committed than others. For my part I managed to survey only two answer threads, each containing literally thousands of answers. Proving once again how subjective humor is, none of the answers I recommended made the final list. For posterity, those were:
MD9Q1: What is the term, which originated in a 1938 article in Variety magazine and is associated historically with disc jockeys, for a secret or indirect transfer of funds for a commercial favor (such as the promotion of a particular record)?
Non-BWA:
Spoiler
Playdough
Actual BWA: none
MD10Q5: Specialized cardiac muscle fibers in mammalian hearts that conduct impulses from the atria to the ventricles are an atrioventricular "Bundle" named what? It is present in females as well as males (as it's named after the Swiss cardiologist who discovered it).
Non-BWA:
Spoiler
HEARTBERN
NOT ASKING DIRECTIONS
Actual BWA (not funny, y'ask me):
Spoiler
PROGRESSIVE HOME AND AUTO
This year's slate offers some fine choices, which so far I've narrowed down to 10. Looks like voting is open till noon PT tomorrow. This year, more than ever, VOTE!
In and out of the pool four times
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I was pleased to win three out of my last four matches but that was insufficient to climb out of the hole I had dug for myself and I finished next to last and relegated (I assume) back to B. Not for the first time and probably not the last.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:10 am
StevenH wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:36 am I finished the season with an embarrassing 2(1)-7(5) loss, with my only get being "gi." I thought that the countries question had something to do with soccer and originally guessed France, then made the switch to China. It cost me a 75 TCA season.

I was pretty close to average this season, finishing with a .493 average in TCA (the league average was .507) and ending up 13th out of 22 in my C rundle.
Yeah, in the soccer question, the pairs were host nation/winner for the men's FIFA World Cup starting in 1966, and France was the last nation to win as the host, back in 1998. (That's happened six times: Uruguay and Italy at the first two World Cups in 1930 and 1934, and the four times listed in the question - England 1966, West Germany 1974, Argentina 1978, and France 1998.)
Thanks for explaining that. I had no idea what the country pairs meant and WAGed France.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Strange season for me... no 9(6)'s, but I still had 95 TCA, my third-highest in 21 seasons. I had only two 3-pointers in the first half of the season but ended up finishing with 12!*
I considered letting my membership lapse, but I am going to renew. My new goals are 300 wins overall and 100 wins in A. I have a better chance of surpassing Hicks's forfeitless streak than making the championship, but maybe once I achieve the aforementioned goals, who knows?
*Yes, 479,001,600. What did you think?
Hoping for a third lap
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

reddpen wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:40 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:54 pmOh, it makes much more sense that those BWA are chosen after the season and are submitted for consideration by the users.
User submission is absolutely NOT a consideration. Is it just me being cranky, or could the Best Wrong Answer chitchat thread be relabeled "People who aren't as funny as they think"? I mean, not all of them, but...
bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:54 pmI was thinking it must be a ton of work for the commissioner to try to seek those out.
It's a ton of work, but the commish has farmed out that duty to a committee of volunteers, some more committed than others. For my part I managed to survey only two answer threads, each containing literally thousands of answers. Proving once again how subjective humor is, none of the answers I recommended made the final list. For posterity, those were:
MD9Q1: What is the term, which originated in a 1938 article in Variety magazine and is associated historically with disc jockeys, for a secret or indirect transfer of funds for a commercial favor (such as the promotion of a particular record)?
Non-BWA:
Spoiler
Playdough
MD10Q5: Specialized cardiac muscle fibers in mammalian hearts that conduct impulses from the atria to the ventricles are an atrioventricular "Bundle" named what? It is present in females as well as males (as it's named after the Swiss cardiologist who discovered it).
Non-BWA:
Spoiler
HEARTBERN
NOT ASKING DIRECTIONS
Spoiler
This year's slate offers some fine choices, which so far I've narrowed down to 10. Looks like voting is open till noon PT tomorrow. This year, more than ever, VOTE!
Thanks for the info. And yes, the answers are certainly subjective. When I've gone back to try past questions I have certainly rolled my eyes at a few.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:40 pm
Non-BWA:
Spoiler
Playdough
I like that one.
Non-BWA:
Spoiler
HEARTBERN
NOT ASKING DIRECTIONS
The first one is quite good. The second, meh ...
Spoiler
I don't understand that in the least.