Season 37 changes and predictions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Season 37 changes and predictions

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:08 am Given all of the extra space afforded by HDTV, I wish they'd keep the scores on the screen in a corner.
I wish that whenever they have the “make a word out of the letters in this word” they would have the base word on screen when that category is chosen.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:23 am
alietr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:08 am Given all of the extra space afforded by HDTV, I wish they'd keep the scores on the screen in a corner.
I wish that whenever they have the “make a word out of the letters in this word” they would have the base word on screen when that category is chosen.
Yes. Totally.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes. Totally.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:40 pm
Yes. Totally.
Now that Mark enters the game into j-archive so quickly, I sometimes go to that page while the game is in progress so I can keep track of the categories.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I read this as HGTV, and had to think for a bit and wondered what the Property Brothers had to do with anything...but, yeah, definitely keep the scores visible. Frankly I don't pay much attention to the score except when it's DD time, and even then the info that I want is never on screen for long. You might get a quick flash of all 3 scores in a wide shot, followed by a close-up of the lucky contestant. Heck, they could sportify it by flashing up in-game stats like number right, number wrong, % accuracy, or % first on the buzzer - although that might make contestants a bit nervous about how they'd be perceived. Then again, the jeopardy of having -1000 right below my name would make me nervous anyway, - may as well add the "50% accuracy, 4R, 4W, 20% buzz-in" line too.

And +1 to the "keep the anagramed words up on the screen" suggestion also. In fact, for any wordplay clue, it would be nice to see the word up on the screen. Is the category 17-LETTER WORDS? Great, put it up so I can see it, with an X below the tenth letter. Are we playing "IN" THE BEGINNING? Cool, but maybe put the word "INSURRECTION" up on the screen, perhaps with the first two letters in yellow. Remember, J! isn't just for adults - it's for kids, too. You can hook a 7- or 8-year-old on J! with some wordplay.

Although, actually, I play along on a spreadsheet where I have the categories on top, so I can see the words. I help myself out by capitalizing any of the clues that require specific letter patterns. But I still have tremendous problems with "Boggle" style clues where you have to take a few letters from a long word and create a new word. I can do a complete anagram, but partial anagrams just flummox me.

Then again, there's something nice about the simplicity of J!. It's not flashy. Changes to actual game play are far and few between - "Wait until Alex finishes", elimination of the 5 game champion, elimination of Broyhill furniture prizes, the doubling of clue values, and new tournament formats (standard 2-week, MDM, Decades, celebrity, etc.) are the only ones I can think of. The only "audience-friendly" change I can think of is the countdown timer on the lecterns, but I may be missing something.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Along with the current category and clue value. That would take care of keeping the word on screen when you're supposed to form a new word out of some of the letters.

I also like the idea of player stats. Ideally there'd be some way to toggle the display for those who don't want the clutter or want some of it but not all. That would probably require an internet "broadcast" in addition to (or instead of) OTA. The entertainment industry has been positively Luddite in its response to the possibilities provided by the Internet.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I like it clean and as is without distractions cluttering the screen...but the category and dollar amount would sometimes be nice, especially when there are players jumping around the board.

All those stats are on the archive anyway.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

davopardy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:24 pm

And besides how long did for original Jeopardy! fans (Flemming era) to accept Alex on a regular basis? If I recall, it took them a long time for them to do so (similar in timeframe its taken from Bob's retirement from Price to now with Drew as host)
I'm one of those old-timers who go back to to Art Fleming days, and I'm certainly OK with Alex. But frankly, in my mind's ear, I still sometimes hear Don Pardo doing the introductions.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I've been wondering about contestant pictures with Alex, and how that would work given the distancing.

While it's disappointing to see contestants this season not standing next to him, it is understandable.

Alex is at his podium, the contestant is on the far side of the FJ display.

I'm really hoping by the time they're allowed to call me again, that not only do they call me, but I can get the "normal" picture.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:13 pm I've been wondering about contestant pictures with Alex, and how that would work given the distancing.
I'm guessing it's very easily photoshopped.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:13 pm I've been wondering about contestant pictures with Alex, and how that would work given the distancing.
The picture can be photoshopped, but the experience can't be. For a lot of folks, one of the highlights of your day on J! is getting to "meet" Alex, which, because of S&P, I assume is probably limited to a quick "welcome" when all 12-13 contestants are gathered for practice and/or in the green room, the picture you take with him behind the lectern, the brief on-camera chit-chat after the first commercial ("Good for you!"), and the debriefing at the end of the game while the credits roll.

That said, there's no real way to fix it so it's 100% like it was back in February. I wouldn't want to be near Alex to take the picture, and I would imagine the feeling would be mutual. Maybe they've figured out a way to do socially-distant pictures together - Alex at the left of the J! board, and the contestant at the right. Alex in the champion podium, the contestant in the middle challenger podium. It might not be small enough for a nice little avatar here, but it could make an interesting photo for other social media if you share that kinda stuff.

If I had been on J! pre-COVID, I would have loved having the picture of myself with Alex. It's the Sony version of Disneyland, but instead of Mickey Mouse, it's Alex. Same reason I like trotting out every weekend in November (except this year, naturally) to get pictures with the Boston Bruins - I'm a kid at heart.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 pm
So is doing that now without me ever being on the show, but that's not the same thing, and that's why this is disappointing no matter how much it needs to be done. I'd still take the current version over nothing.
goongas

Post by goongas »

First week of contestants have been posted, all from California.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

goongas wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:27 am First week of contestants have been posted, all from California.
For the sake of argument let's say that all three contestants left their homes on taping morning and did not stay somewhere closer to Culver City.

I don't know studio reporting time, but let's call it 7:70 a.m.

What time do you wake up and what time do you leave to drive to Culver City?

From Los Angeles?
From Glendale?
From Riverside?

In the past with a majority of contestants staying at a hotel and taking the shuttle most were on equal footing. Now, I'm wondering if someone like the Riverside player is at a disadvantage due to travel considerations?

Yeah, I know the argument could be made the L.A. player could have the worst sleep and be the most nervous to negate the "closeness" factor.

I figured with these games with locals the distance metric could be something to watch.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So they arrive at 8:10?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:37 am
goongas wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:27 am First week of contestants have been posted, all from California.
For the sake of argument let's say that all three contestants left their homes on taping morning and did not stay somewhere closer to Culver City.

From Los Angeles?
From Glendale?
From Riverside?

In the past with a majority of contestants staying at a hotel and taking the shuttle most were on equal footing. Now, I'm wondering if someone like the Riverside player is at a disadvantage due to travel considerations?

Yeah, I know the argument could be made the L.A. player could have the worst sleep and be the most nervous to negate the "closeness" factor.

I figured with these games with locals the distance metric could be something to watch.
We'll never know because even with being "close", they may choose to stay in a hotel less than 2 miles away.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

When I was watching the segment on GMA previewing the new season, I did see the contestants walk up to their podiums but all at the same time, not one by one like during the first 16 seasons (Johnny would say "Now entering the studio are today's contestants"). So perhaps the practice of the contestants walking onto the set during the intro has been brought back but in a different manner. But we're going to have to wait until the episode airs to see if that's the case.
goongas

Post by goongas »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:37 am

From Los Angeles?
From Glendale?
From Riverside?

We'll never know because even with being "close", they may choose to stay in a hotel less than 2 miles away.
We don't know if Jeopardy! is telling people they are not allowed to stay in a hotel the night before. (Although if coming from SF, they would have to...) If I lived far enough away, that is what I would do if allowed.

Is LA traffic in the morning a thing anymore? I have read that people have arrived late to the studio if they did not take the hotel shuttle.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

A friend of mine got the call for September 30. She has to arrive at Sony at 7 am and will have to do her own hair and makeup. The contestants also will be mic'ing themselves. In other words, no close staff interaction at all.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:10 pm A friend of mine got the call for September 30. She has to arrive at Sony at 7 am and will have to do her own hair and makeup. The contestants also will be mic'ing themselves. In other words, no close staff interaction at all.
Weird thought, but as a man...I would have absolutely no clue how to do makeup, but I do know that men commonly do wear makeup on TV. Granted, I imagine TV makeup might be a little different than "everyday" makeup for a woman, but I would guess (and I'm 100% guessing here) that the hair and makeup department could leave tips that women would understand, like "consider using a little more of this than you normally would" or "don't do this". Me? Left to my own devices, I fear I would wind up looking like Euphegenia Doubtfire.

Then again, men are Zooming in to TV news stations all the time and I doubt they're doing makeup, so I guess it's something that could be skipped.