Tuesday, March 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bob78164 wrote:This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Before anyone pops in to contest this, I would like to clarify for such a person that although Patrick's wager was big by two-thirds standards, the only metric in Shore's Conjecture that determines "big"ness or "small"ness is whether third place has an opportunity to overtake second on a neg by second. Any wager that guaranteed Patrick at least second place (less than $8,400) would have been "small."
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Jeopardy! bump-kins

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Not a fan of the fist pump.
bpmod wrote:I did think that Patrick's fist-pump was way over the top.
It's fist-bump, not "pump"; if you were to reply "pump" on the show, you'd be ruled as wrong as you'd be with "Wimbleton."
Quoting this just to create an echo of your obliviousness. Why don't you correct bpmod's use of "Patrick's" to "the Obamas'" while you're at it?
Cut him some slack. I think he's senile (just the other day he thought Les Miserables took place 40 years after it did).
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

seaborgium wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Before anyone pops in to contest this, I would like to clarify for such a person that although Patrick's wager was big by two-thirds standards, the only metric in Shore's Conjecture that determines "big"ness or "small"ness is whether third place has an opportunity to overtake second on a neg by second. Any wager that guaranteed Patrick at least second place (less than $8,400) would have been "small."
As I recall, offering the tie still counts as "small." To be "big," Patrick's wager would have needed to risk the third-place player passing him. --Bob
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bob78164 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
As I recall, offering the tie still counts as "small." To be "big," Patrick's wager would have needed to risk the third-place player passing him. --Bob
That's true, and the Shoretegic wagering suggestions on J! Archive always end in 01 (when all three players' scores end in 00). But "As I recall"!? It's your conjecture; why not speak definitively?
buffalocell
Contributor

Post by buffalocell »

Bamaman wrote:And Patrick could not have been doing a fist bump unless someone else was bumping him.

Maybe he was bumping fists with the Big Bad Broseph upstairs. Gotta celebrate whenever He does you a solid, you guys. :lol:
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

I'm glad that my English class read Hamlet this year! With that fresh in my mind, Ophelia was about as much an instaget I'll have at this stage (like 25 seconds in, haha).
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

I was surprised that Jessamine's response of "Webster" to the clue

IN 1793 THIS LEXICOGRAPHER FOUNDED THE AMERICAN MINERVA, NEW YORK CITY'S FIRST DAILY NEWSPAPER

wasn't BMSed.

It just seems like BMS has been a pretty standard response to "Webster" in the past
(and, sorry, but too far behind on watching the show [as you can see] to back up that rather nebulous statement with any actual data. ;) )
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago