Thursday, September 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, September 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran 3-Word Phrases and Fangs a Lot!

NHO Meryl Streep playing Florence Foster Jenkins. Don't see anything that makes that film top-box noteworthy either. Ended up 0/5 there.

Also 0/5 in See Who Salutes, combining "recognize the face" and "war minutiae" for another "stump the TPH" category.

Forgot to RTFC on "A" Is for Autumn and said Pumpkin in the top box. Even worse, got the next four.

Also all but the top box in Wait a Beat. The "probably thinks this clue is about them" had me snagged on lyrics to "You're So Vain". No idea why that distracting anti-TOM was there.

0/5 in Bodies of Water as well.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: Auburn, Advent
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

DBear wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 pm Auburn and advent are inexcusable TS :x
Took a bagel in the actress category. I hope we don't get more of those, but with all Californians, we probably will. :(
FJ: Astronomy? Yes please! Easy peasy FJ :mrgreen:
I'm not sure that they'll necessarily have to adjust the categories just because of the contestants. But it might change the distribution of what clues get correct resposnes. I would imagine clues about the Old West, West Coast geography, and pop culture would be more likely to be buzzer contests, while recent musical theater, New York burroughs, Colonial-era history, and business/industry might get slightly fewer hits. The reverse would likely be true if J! were taped in NYC and they had to resort to NYC-only contestants.

That's actually one of the charms of J! - you get three people who are all very intelligent, and probably know a good portion of the board - but there's also quite a few clues that only one or two of them might know. But together, all three usually get through a game with just a few TS clues...and the viewers are exposed to knowledge that goes from coast-to-coast (and beyond, of course).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed I Played Her in the Movie $200, $600, and $800; The Picard Quote, and Pat Tillman.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Auburn, Fleet Admiral, Advent, Garrison, Egotist, Agony, Lawyers, (Queen Victoria), (Rhine), Henry Moore
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:19 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:32 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 pm Came up with "neutron star" for FJ, and after looking at the definition, it might've passed muster.
100% acceptable. LGM-1 was a neutron star.
Unless there were a neutron discovered earlier and not identified as a pulsar, for which the invisible star of the binary Sco X-1 seems to fit the bill.
Good find. So, that would exclude neutron stars.
I think neutron star would probably be accepted. From Wikipedia:
Indeed, the discovery of pulsars by Jocelyn Bell Burnell and Antony Hewish in 1967 was the first observational suggestion that neutron stars exist.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:09 am 55 R (Missed I Played Her in the Movie $200, $600, and $800; The Picard Quote, and Pat Tillman.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Auburn, Fleet Admiral, Advent, Garrison, Egotist, Agony, Lawyers, (Queen Victoria), (Rhine), Henry Moore
I can help with 4/5 you missed and will have to call in econgator for the Picard quote.

Hammer did not like the Meryl Streep clue for top box and now he can rest his case.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I missed the Rhine river question because the clue stated that it flowed into Lake Constance but in reality Lake Constance is the source and it flows into the North Sea.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Sooooo, do I get to check the weekend's FJ poll if I wrote down "neutron star" or not?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

clprez wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:10 am I missed the Rhine river question because the clue stated that it flowed into Lake Constance but in reality Lake Constance is the source and it flows into the North Sea.
Hmm, interesting, reading on wikipedia it seems a bit confusing but it appears the Rhine flows into Lake Constance, then out of Lake Constance and eventually to the North Sea. Basically several different sections of river all considered to be the Rhine makes for a bit of a mess in using it in a trivia question such as this.
davey

Post by davey »

clprez wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:10 am I missed the Rhine river question because the clue stated that it flowed into Lake Constance but in reality Lake Constance is the source and it flows into the North Sea.
Lake Constance is not the source and the clue didn't say that the Rhine stops at Lake Constance.

http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/rivers/rhine.htm
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Poll request for some variation on "I had no idea that 'garrison' meant an enormous flag."
In and out of the pool four times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:41 am Poll request for some variation on "I had no idea that 'garrison' meant an enormous flag."
I knew there was something I wanted to mention. Yeah, never heard of it in that regard.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Also all but the top box in Wait a Beat. The "probably thinks this clue is about them" had me snagged on lyrics to "You're So Vain". No idea why that distracting anti-TOM was there.
I said egomaniac. I assume they’d take that.

Lach Trash: Auburn
Impressed you knew Auburn.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:14 am Sooooo, do I get to check the weekend's FJ poll if I wrote down "neutron star" or not?
We need someone with more astrophysical expertise to chime in, but based on my reading, and the wording of the clue, "neutron" may not be acceptable. As I understand it:

- Neutron stars were proposed in theory in the '30s long before any were observed
- They would have been difficult to observe because of their invisibility, etc.
- Sco X-1 as an X ray source was discovered in 1962, but it was not known what caused the X rays
- "In 1967 (before the discovery of pulsars), Iosif Shklovsky examined X-ray and optical observations of Scorpius X-1 and correctly concluded that the radiation comes from a neutron star accreting matter from a companion" -- Wikipedia
- Bell and Hewish experimentally observed a pulsar (LGM-1) on Nov. 28, 1967 but did not publish on it until Feb. 24, 1968
- Of course they stiffed the woman out of the Nobel in 1974
- Shklovsky published in April 1967 before Bell and Hewish had made their observations

So it seems to me that LGM-1 was not the first neutron star discovered and not even the first neutron star discovered in 1967.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

So when Darth Vader threatened Lando Calrissian with leaving a garrison behind on Cloud City, he was only threatening to put up a flag?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:44 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:14 am Sooooo, do I get to check the weekend's FJ poll if I wrote down "neutron star" or not?
We need someone with more astrophysical expertise to chime in, but based on my reading, and the wording of the clue, "neutron" may not be acceptable. As I understand it:

- Neutron stars were proposed in theory in the '30s long before any were observed
- They would have been difficult to observe because of their invisibility, etc.
- Sco X-1 as an X ray source was discovered in 1962, but it was not known what caused the X rays
- "In 1967 (before the discovery of pulsars), Iosif Shklovsky examined X-ray and optical observations of Scorpius X-1 and correctly concluded that the radiation comes from a neutron star accreting matter from a companion" -- Wikipedia
- Bell and Hewish experimentally observed a pulsar (LGM-1) on Nov. 28, 1967 but did not publish on it until Feb. 24, 1968
- Of course they stiffed the woman out of the Nobel in 1974
- Shklovsky published in April 1967 before Bell and Hewish had made their observations

So it seems to me that LGM-1 was not the first neutron star discovered and not even the first neutron star discovered in 1967.
Based on the Berry/Barry decision last week you're probably correct, but prior to that I would have assumed neutron star would have passed muster.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:59 am I said egomaniac. I assume they’d take that.
Yes, probably, but it's awfully judgmental of you... ;)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 am
reddpen wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:41 am Poll request for some variation on "I had no idea that 'garrison' meant an enormous flag."
I knew there was something I wanted to mention. Yeah, never heard of it in that regard.
I probably have. At Fort McHenry they fly either a garrison replica or a storm replica depending on the weather (storm was up when I visited) and there's info about it. It just didn't end up being one of the things that stuck for me. *makes note to check photos when I get the chance*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:50 am So when Darth Vader threatened Lando Calrissian with leaving a garrison behind on Cloud City, he was only threatening to put up a flag?
yes, but it's a really big flag, would've covered everything in the city, blocking out all light.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Also, I think "the discovery of pulsars by Jocelyn Bell Burnell and Antony Hewish in 1967 was the first observational suggestion that neutron stars exist" is what Wikipedia would refer to as an opinion. An earlier observational suggestion that neutron stars exist would have been the June 12, 1962 discovery of X ray emissions from Sco X-1, although that observation was not linked to neutron stars until 1967 (it took some thinking), and even then, that conclusion still was months before Bell and Hewish made their observation.

If you want to argue that the 1962 discovery of X ray emissions from Sco X-1 was not an "observational suggestion that neutron stars exist" because nobody, upon making the observation, snapped their fingers and said "neutron star!", then remember, neither did Bell and Hewish when they first made their observation. For a long time, until they were able to confirm that the signal had no informational content and until they were able to find other similar signal sources in the sky, they did not think LGM-1 was a neutron star, but perhaps an extraterrestrial intelligence's beacon.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poll request on the Streep clue. I think "even LSV missed it" is a pretty good gauge of a clue's value being off base.