Friday, September 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HIGHEST-PAID ATHLETES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On Forbes’ 2020 list of the 100 highest-paid athletes, at age 50 this active individual sportsman is the oldest

Sameer Gandhi: 15200-0=15200 (2X = $37,400)
Julissa Castillo: 13200-13199=1
Alyssa Weinberger: 4800-4700=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Phil Mickelson (Sameer – Mr. Magoo) (Julissa – Phil ) (Alyssa – Jagr)

Daily Doubles
Julissa: 4400+2000
Julissa: 9600+2000
Sameer: 9200+2000

Coryats
Sameer: 15200
Julissa: 11200
Alyssa: 4800

Combined: 31,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sameer: 1200
Julissa: 8000
Alyssa: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Well done by Julissa & Alyssa to sweep HEARD ON A TV DRAMA as I expect those clues to go 5/5 in perhaps 1/10 games at best.

Judge Judy may want to avoid the chat segment as the tally was at least five for instances of uh/um/basically. No "literally" though.

That was an easy reversal to call when Sameer had a different "ee" word in DOUBLE "EE" FOR THEE in this clue: To suddenly swerve in a different direction.

Alex's vocabulary is good enough that he should have known not to neg "careen" and to prevent the rebound of the expected "veer".

As much as I like sports I knew HIGHEST-PAID ATHLETES could be nightmare for me. Yup, it was more business/current events and I failed to figure it out in time. In my head it was hard to eliminate team athletes which I expected and switch gears to what was meant by individual sportsman.

Archery, horseshoes, bowling....were the kind of annoying things that came to me. Finally near the end I was getting closer when I thought of tennis, but I did not get to the right sport. The pen never moved and the writers, well overdue, got me this season for the first time.

To demonstrate how off I was on the clue, when I saw Julissa's response, my reaction was, "Mahre? The skier?" Julissa got the first name down and the beginning of the last name's first letter. She could have really demonstrated she knew it and worked up social media if she had written his famous nickname to set off a debate.

As is that's a tough loss for Julissa to only get the $1K for third. Sameer picked a good spot for the zero wager after working hard to get that lead by the end of the DJ! round.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

My only guess for FJ was Tony Hawk.

Individual sport, 50 years old, and while golf came to mind, just couldn't think of picking one that might be 50.

Looking up after, Tony Hawk is 52. I only figured he rough age by time he's been around.

Alex made a comment about how Julissa would be the new champion if she only completed her answer; but she could've been if she only bet the required $2001.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Guessed Tiger Woods for FJ, so at least I had the right sport, I guess. Phil Mickelson crossed my mind but somehow I didn't think he was as old as Tiger, plus between the two, I assumed Tiger was more FJ material. Womp womp.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Played FJ off "Clue of the Day." Had to think for a few seconds to come up with tennis and golf, and thought golf much more likely for a 50+ participant to still be active.

Spaced out on Mickelson and flipped a mental coin between Vijay Singh and Ernie Els. Know nothing about their ages, but I know they've been around a long time. Went with Els.

Turns out he's 51, so he qualifies, and he's finished in the money in a couple of recent tournaments, so at least it was a credible guess. I'm taking it as a moral victory even though I helped make it a quadruple stumper from the fourth podium.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:46 pm Played FJ off "Clue of the Day." Had to think for a few seconds to come up with tennis and golf, and thought golf much more likely for a 50+ participant to still be active.

Spaced out on Mickelson and flipped a mental coin between Vijay Singh and Ernie Els. Know nothing about their ages, but I know they've been around a long time. Went with Els.

Turns out he's 51, so he qualifies, and he's finished in the money in a couple of recent tournaments, so at least it was a credible guess. I'm taking it as a moral victory even though I helped make it a quadruple stumper from the fourth podium.
Had I not caught the news that Lefty had won his first Champions tour start a few weeks ago and thought " he's 50?!?", I would not have gotten this Final correct.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

FJ was an instaget. :)

Thanks goes to my husband who last month, or so, was watching the Senior Golf Tour solely because Phil Mickelson (one of my husband's favorite pro golfers) was playing in it.
He mentioned that Phil had just turned 50 and thus became eligible for the senior tour and was probably the youngest, great player, on the senior tour and won his first senior tournament easily...
Leander

Post by Leander »

As a golf fan, I knew Phil was around 50, and my recollection of the news about his participation in his first Senior event a few weeks ago cemented it. My only doubt was whether he was in the top 100, but of course his earnings are from endorsements, not winnings these days.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Joined mas3cf in guessing Tiger Woods for FJ. :(
I-90 runs from Seattle to San Diego? :lol:
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 pm Had I not caught the news that Lefty had won his first Champions tour start a few weeks ago and thought " he's 50?!?", I would not have gotten this Final correct.
Mine is the US Open was last week, which brings the annual "Is it Phil's year?" articles. (No. No, it wasn't.)
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw the category and worried it would be a soccer player. Seeing the answer didn’t make me feel much better and went with Tiger even though I was sure he wasn’t that old. (He is 44).
Golf

Post by Golf »

Tiger and Phil have been near the top of the Forbes list for 20 years now, much higher than most would think.

But this was not a clue for the regular Jeopardy crowd and will poll quite low here. Good clue for a sports specific game.

Personally, was not thrilled when Phil played the Champions Tour fill in event in Missouri as that’s the tour I’m chasing. Throwing Furyk into the mix makes it even more difficult. Played against both of them in college as well. Some good stories.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This roadgeek ran Traveling on the Interstate.

Took the bagel in TV Drama. Can't say I've heard of the three bottom shows before.

Doug E. Fresh was also unfamiliar to me.

Also found Boat Part difficult. Clammed on "hatch" and "hull" since I didn't know they were boat parts.

My Belgian exchange student would be disappointed that I was 2R 1W in All Things Belgian. $400 in particular seemed wide open.

I precalled the overturn on "careen".

Somehow I always forget that Warren G. Harding exists.

No guess on FJ! You could have spotted me "Phil M____" and I still would have missed this. I thought he retired ages ago.

Lach Trash: The Bartered Bride, deem, St. Louis
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I could've sworn I heard "Warren J. Harding" instead of "Warren G. Harding." I was surprised they never made the correction later, so I'm wondering if I just misheard.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $36,000 (40R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Had the most nightmarish start I can remember. Only $3200 going into the first commercial break, including an o-fer in the TV category and 2/5 in Boat parts. Did okay after that.

Irritated with myself for not going with Phil Mickelson. Need to trust my instincts!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:29 pm
Doug E. Fresh was also unfamiliar to me.
You could have spotted me "Doug E. Fres_" and the best I could have done would be an educated guess.