FJs for the 9/21/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/21/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 pm

Before going into education, she graduated from the University of Rome in 1896 & was named assistant doctor at its psych clinic
81%
The book "The Eagle & the Elephant" is about the relationship between the U.S. & this Asian country beginning in 1833
52%
Reluctant to write what became her most famous novel, she said, "Never liked girls or knew many, except my sisters"
93%
Discovered in 1967, the 1st of these stars was dubbed LGM-1--the perceived signal was jokingly thought to be from little green men
68%
On Forbes' 2020 list of the 100 highest-paid athletes, at age 50 this active individual sportsman is the oldest
51%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
THE MAN, THE POETRY $1600 box DD: "Back from the mouth of hell, all that was left of them, left of six hundred"
68%
JOURNALISTS $2000: A longtime newspaperman, this author of "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" vanished after going to Mexico in 1913
38%
I PLAYED HER IN THE MOVIE $200: Bad singer Florence Foster Jenkins
59%
For the Monday FJ! category of PIONEERING EDUCATORS I had the correct response in mind before seeing the clue.
24%
India was my response for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
43%
Oops! Laura Ingalls Wilder was my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
2%
RAISE THE FLAG $1000: This other name for an army base or post also refers to the huge 20' x 38' flag flown over it - The "huge flag" definition for the word "garrison" was not one I knew previously.
78%
Neutron star was my response for the Thursday FJ! clue.
2%
Tiger Woods was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
31%

Total votes: 91

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 9/21/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PIONEERING EDUCATORS

9/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before going into education, she graduated from the University of Rome in 1896 & was named assistant doctor at its psych clinic

9/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DIPLOMACY

9/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The book "The Eagle & the Elephant" is about the relationship between the U.S. & this Asian country beginning in 1833

9/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

9/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Reluctant to write what became her most famous novel, she said, "Never liked girls or knew many, except my sisters"

9/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASTRONOMY

9/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Discovered in 1967, the 1st of these stars was dubbed LGM-1--the perceived signal was jokingly thought to be from little green men

9/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HIGHEST-PAID ATHLETES

9/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On Forbes' 2020 list of the 100 highest-paid athletes, at age 50 this active individual sportsman is the oldest

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
(Maria) Montessori
Thailand (Siam)
(Louisa May) Alcott
pulsars
Phil Mickelson
The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 2-0-3-1-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a requested clue a player got right.

THE MAN, THE POETRY $1600 box DD: "Back from the mouth of hell, all that was left of them, left of six hundred"

JOURNALISTS $2000: A longtime newspaperman, this author of "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" vanished after going to Mexico in 1913

I PLAYED HER IN THE MOVIE $200: Bad singer Florence Foster Jenkins

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Tennyson
Ambrose Bierce
Meryl Streep

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 9/21/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Could not recall the Owl Creek Bridge guy and needed the dictionary path.

No guess on the garrison clue and knew nothing about the flag name.

Blank page on Friday though would have instantly known who it was if I had got to the sport.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :x :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( Had the obvious misses.
:mrgreen: :| :roll:
Did not know the flag meaning of garrison.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :oops: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A disastrous FJ week for me. Thanks for the nod to my egregious wrong response on Wed, Mark.... :) :oops: We'll see if I'm alone on that...
I don't think I've ever clicked so many boxes while doing so poorly... ;)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Anne Sullivan (the name Montessori was not completely unfamiliar to me, but I couldn't have said anything about the person that goes with the name; a quick J-Archive search shows I have little excuse)
India

Didn't think of Wilder; "sisters" had me considering guessing a Brontë, although now that I look at the category name again, I'm glad I stuck with my instinct.

I should have gotten Bierce.

Unfamiliar with garrison = huge flag.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :| :|

Picked every bait answer for my FJ misses

Knew it was Bierce, but couldn't pull it in time
NHO Florence Foster Jenkins

No idea on garrison
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Tiger. I think I was unfamiliar with the flag definition of "garrison."

I have a bad habit of thinking Coleridge wrote "The Charge of the Light Brigade," but his recently having been an FJ response steered me away from him in this case. (Sorry to anyone who might watch the shows and read these threads out of order who might be spoiled by this remark.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :( :(

I don't make precalls on FJs.
Did not know garrison as a flag.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

India, no guess the rest of the week. Sucks since all except Montessori were in my database but I just couldn't make the mental leaps.

Tennyson was also too far back to pull in time.

Garrison = flag rings a faint bell. I think it was because we toured Fort Michilimackinac in 2nd grade and one of my classmates had the last name Garrison.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

India and Tiger. Never heard of a flag being a garrison.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Mon - Precalled and only guess I had
Fri - Mayweather

Didn't know garrison as a flag size, but probably would have if I committed a particular bit of signage from Ft. McHenry to memory...unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it
I'm not crazy! Found them! (Wasn't just one, I seem to have mentally combined two separate signs), and neither explicitly says 'garrison flag', so nuts to that theory.
http://www.the-visitor-center.com/pages ... ry-091.htm
https://viviennemackie.wordpress.com/20 ... t-mchenry/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I don't think I had a precall on Monday. If I did, PIONEERING EDUCATORS might have steered me toward Laura Ingalls Wilder as a wrong response two days ahead of everyone else. Pioneering educator, educator to the pioneers, whatever. As it was, I saw a clue asking for a famous female Italian educator and had no trouble getting to the correct response.

Said India for the book. Thailand just seemed too obscure, though I did consider it. Was completely unaware of either book by that title but am still hoping to be invited back to an FJ poll at a later date due to the potential for confusion.

The expected route on Wednesday's clue was that contestants and viewers would follow the TOMs to the most obvious guess and be rewarded. In my case that was unnecessary. I recognized the quote. I knew Alcott had spent some time writing what she called "gothic thrillers" in the Wilkie Collins mode and had been reluctant to switch to the formula that secured her fame and fortune. So this was a straight get for me.

Thursday wasn't a coin flip by any means. I thought of pulsar first, considered quasar to make sure I didn't want to switch, and stuck with pulsar.

On Friday I got tangled up in the term "individual sportsman". I understood it to mean someone who isn't in competition with anyone else, not someone who competes as an individual rather than as part of a team. So I was thinking of things like rock climbing and BASE jumping. For lack of anything better, I guessed Richard Branson. :oops:

Knew the Tennyson poem and its author without question or confusion. Could identify Ambrose Bierce off "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" OR "vanished after going to Mexico in 1913." Was aware of the historical individual Florence Foster Jenkins before the Streep movie came out. So the ads stuck in my head and the clue was no trouble. To me that was the easiest clue in the column, though the Anne Hathaway one wasn't much harder. I wonder if they planned those clues to reward contestants for taking the column in order and thus eliminating Meryl Streep as an option before The Devil Wears Prada came up. It was the Anna Kendrick and Emily Blunt clues that I whiffed on. Didn't know the flag-garrison connection.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leave it to me to claim unfamiliarity on Monday which is currently polling over 90%, *and* to be the only person who didn't get Wednesday right.

I think this the first time since 2/28/13 that I've been the only person keeping a clue from going 100%.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I'm somewhat surprised that so many of us came up with Phil Mickelson. Lefty happens to be one of my all-time favorite athletes, but I didn't expect him to break 30% on this week's FJ poll.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thailand leads India 19-18 while Phil leads 19-12 over Tiger.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Am I reading this right? Right now we've got 40 votes that break down like this:

- 21 of the 40 said Thailand for Tuesday's FJ
- 20 of the 40 said India

So 41 out of 40 voters said Thailand or India. That number obviously doesn't include the boardies who clammed or said something else. :lol:
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Best I could do Monday was “Helen Keller’s teacher”. Wrong on multiple counts.

I’m another visitor to India on a wild guess.

Pretty quickly got to the right sport (must be golf or tennis, and tennis players don’t make that kind of money), but had no idea whom to guess. Knew Tiger was too young and Nicholas was too old. Don’t follow golf much, but I do recognize the name.

My bright spot (get it? Bright spot!) was knowing pulsar almost instantly.
--Peter
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ---

Ok, so I'm not Phil Mickelson. I didn't think Tiger was the old, but I wasn't sure. It hadn't occurred to me they might ask about another golfer.

Attempted no precalls, and didn't know garrison was a flag.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I don't attempt to do pre-calls
Was not aware garrison meant a flag