Fun with NBC's "The Weakest Link"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fun with NBC's "The Weakest Link"

Post by jeff6286 »

Someone who is so clearly the best player is just usually gonna be screwed in that last vote, making this such a dumb show in many respects.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 am Someone who is so clearly the best player is just usually gonna be screwed in that last vote, making this such a dumb show in many respects.
That's the part I hate about it (although when someone like Kaya makes it through, I do wonder what the hell the other two were thinking... :)). The overall Strongest Link should have some one-shot veto or something.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I made my post about Violet and YouTube that was as much of the episode as I had seen. I was cheering when Jane gave her the business about YT not being a network and such.

As Violet moved along in the game I started to think I was going to regret my initial post as she made it to the end.

John the police detective gave me an unintentional laugh as I mistook his plaster for the statue as plastic when I first heard it. Either way Michelangelo turned over. However, the fact that John said he saw it in person tipped me off that he might have some knowledge from travel and seeing art and that proved true in later questions when I could expect John to know the right answer.

It would have been a riot if the show was on a cable channel and Jane could have added swear words in her comments about all of the useless button pushing that seemed to become contagious.

Jack is like J! auditioners who can't help themselves but to answer all 50 right even though it may cost themselves money. I always wonder if those who ace the J! test could get on the show by tanking their score down to 45.

On TWL someone like Jacks needs to find a way to hide under the radar a bit. I like the idea of some kind of immunity protection when it's down to the final three.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:09 am
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 am Someone who is so clearly the best player is just usually gonna be screwed in that last vote, making this such a dumb show in many respects.
That's the part I hate about it (although when someone like Kaya makes it through, I do wonder what the hell the other two were thinking... :)). The overall Strongest Link should have some one-shot veto or something.
Right I was thinking the same thing how fortunate Kaya was to make it through despite also clearly being the best player in her game by miles. Whether it was her being likeable and the players not wanting to turn on her or if she just happened to luck into having a player there who didn't have a mindset to vote off the strongest player. I forget, did either of the other two vote for Kaya?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:52 pm I forget, did either of the other two vote for Kaya?
Andrew did. I believe that was her only vote against for the whole show.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

God these People sucked. so many bad Answers.

Does Tracy look a little bit like Julia Collins to anyone else?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Waiting for the final round...

Still laughing that there was any chance that those players would get the artist of The Kiss.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:54 am Waiting for the final round...

Still laughing that there was any chance that those players would get the artist of The Kiss.
Rodin, or Klimt?

(Potato, potato?)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:15 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:54 am Waiting for the final round...

Rodin, or Klimt?
Francesco Hayez ;)
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Good that the bad players got booted off first. For once, the best two players in the episode in the final.

My Performance: Two Buck Chuck was not gonna happen. Of course, didn't recognize Mrs. Jenner. No idea who that man was who is the step son of Barbara Streisand. Next is also completely new to me. Guessing it ran out of business before I was born. Also matched Cecil with Boston Red Sox.

Never heard of Sandra Zee, but knew it wasn't Stormy Daniels.

Bad Misses From Contestants: 35 Cent, Washington Post, Charlotte's Web, Octagon, One Thousand Hours, Mars

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Jupiter, Massachusetts, Persian, A Raisin in the Sun, Peter and the Wolf, Gustav Klimt, Lafitte, Vesuvius, Columbia, Helicopter, Emperor Penguin, Anna Karenina, Clarity
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Yeah there was a lot of tough stuff in this episode, and maybe collectively the worst set of contestants, not a good pairing. By tough stuff I mean legitimate Jeopardy or Learned League fodder like Anna Karenina, Next, Klimt, Peter and the Wolf, Lafitte, all a far cry from the mostly common knowledge stuff that makes up the majority of this show's usual fare.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Show has Been renewed for a 2nd Season.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/weakes ... 234891587/
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Ugh, they voted off the hot one early and the episode got much less enjoyable. But this team was the 2nd best of the 13 teams i think, so that's something. How do you not Know what the Salvation Army is?

Hope they fix the problems with the show in season 2. and i dont mind that theres only 6 rounds. the problem of strongest player being voted off is still there even if you add round 7 imo.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Jane was very nice this week as she accepted "Great British Baking Show" rather than the intended answer of "Great British Bake Off".

That sure was an incredible finish.

My Performance: Ask me a Yankees quote and it's an "It could be any of them" for me. Unsurprisingly, could not name the Jimmy Fallon announcer. Knew the tennis player was Coco someone, but couldn't remember the last name. The corn snack was not gonna happen. The Chrissy Tiegan body part was another "It could be any of them" for me.

Bad Misses From Contestants: Gordon Ramsey, Bohemian Rhapsody, Eat an Affogato, Thomas Edison, Mortarboard, North Dakota, Facebook, Gondolas

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Boris Johnson, Eight Days a Week, Tennessee, Jamaica, Jacques Cousteau, Monty Python
Douglas Squasoni
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:03 am Jane was very nice this week as she accepted "Great British Baking Show" rather than the intended answer of "Great British Bake Off".
It's usually called "Baking Show" in the US (certainly on Netflix and PBS) because Pillsbury owns the right to the term "bake off" over here.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:03 am Jane was very nice this week as she accepted "Great British Baking Show" rather than the intended answer of "Great British Bake Off".
It's usually called "Baking Show" in the US (certainly on Netflix and PBS) because Pillsbury owns the right to the term "bake off" over here.
And while we're taking LSV down a peg, Chef Gordon's last name is Ramsay.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:49 pm
teapot37 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm
And while we're taking LSV down a peg, Chef Gordon's last name is Ramsay.
and Chrissy's is Teigen.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:40 pm The Weakest Link returns on NBC this Sunday the 6th.
Checked the DVR and it is not mentioned in "Schedule Recordings". Checked the guide and it isn't listed on there.

You sure it isn't the 13th?
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:40 pm The Weakest Link returns on NBC this Sunday the 6th.
Checked the DVR and it is not mentioned in "Schedule Recordings". Checked the guide and it isn't listed on there.

You sure it isn't the 13th?
It's now listed for the 13th, yes. NBC made program changes since my post.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

In the past, and in the UK version, there would be one more banking round between the top 2 where they'd either double or triple their winnings that round. That would be a good reason to keep a stronger player, to build the bank. Not having that round basically gives no reason to keep the best players. I hope they bring it back.