Fun with NBC's "The Weakest Link"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Fun with NBC's "The Weakest Link"

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

New season begins tonight.

My Question Pre-Calls For the Season: Nomadland, Squid Game, Olivia Rodrigo, Kyle Rittenhouse, Gabby Petito, Miami Condo Collapse, We Don't Talk About Bruno

Wouldn't be surprised to see contestants miss Doug Emhoff, Anthony Blinken, or Merrick Garland.
Douglas Squasoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Longtime Archie Comics artist Dan Parent on tonight's episode. Maybe they mentioned that.

ETA: Apparently they did. Calling him Jughead as he left the stage was low-hanging fruit, but I still chuckled. I notice that there are a lot of pop/culture questions in this edition that I wouldn't be very good at. That's an interesting development, from a personal perspective.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Adiel looked familiar. I feel like I remember seeing him on a GSN show, but I could be entirely wrong.

Mr. Mayor and Ingenuity, as well as Perseverance are ones that I also considered to put on my pre-call list.

Not too many bad misses from contestants besides Car Seat, Pledge of Allegiance, and Big Bird being Secretary of the Treasury.

My Performance: Of course, I couldn't get the Parks and Rec actor. Blanked on McLovins and One Step At A Time. Mistakingly thought that Will and Grace picture was Big Bang Theory. Between Pinot Noir and Merlot and picked the wrong one. Also negged with Tequila for Mechalada. Lucky guessed on The Masters and Tricia Yearwood.

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Khalifa, Birds, Ingenuity, Boris Yeltsin, Hope, Yangtze, Brownie, Josephine Baker, Gilda Radner
Douglas Squasoni
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

I thought that the two women would vote Adaam off as he was obviously the strongest player.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

earendel wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:32 am I thought that the two women would vote Adaam off as he was obviously the strongest player.
I thought Adaam would be safe since it was the first episode of the season and the pattern for such shows is to not leave viewers with a bad taste. When The Wall is on I always expect winners to open and close the season.

Is there any reason to expect a round's total to get more than halfway up the ladder before a miss or a bank?

Jane did not seem to care for the repeat requesting lady lawyer.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

When I saw Adaam’s name I asked myself how I would spell “Aaron with 3 A’s” if I were a barista at Starbucks. I decided on Eraaan.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:52 am Is there any reason to expect a round's total to get more than halfway up the ladder before a miss or a bank?
I'd bet a lot of money that you'll never see it.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Guess who was also born in 1998? ... ME!!!

Brandon admitted he has never heard of Vanna White. Feels like watching an episode of People Puzzler.

Nomadland and Doug Emhoff both showed up as clues on tonight's episode marking down two of my pre-calls.

My Performance: Missed 227 for a second time, third time will be the charm. In Living Color dance troupe and Jay Leno cast member not gonna happen. Audra MacDonald does ring a bell but would not have come up with her. Do not know any songs by Lil Wayne nor Lil Baby but guessed the right one.

Bad Misses From Contestants: MacGruff, David Schwimmer, Dunkin Donuts, Second Gentleman, Vanna White, Ariana Grande, Carbohydrates, U2, Prime Meridian, 8, Switzerland, ABBA, Dwight D. Eisenhower

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Department of Transportation, Hawaii, Roast Beef, Ireland, The Count of Monte Cristo, Queen Elizabeth II, Bangladesh, Henna, Flags, Mea Culpa, Zambia, Silicon
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

This week's episode was definitely an episode for J! folk. At the same time, the episode was a disaster.

Anthony Blinken showed up as a clue in the episode, checking off another one on my pre-call list.

I only recall missing a couple clues in the episode. One of them was about some Zoom filter app and matched Sean with Tesla instead of GM.

Bad Misses From Contestants: Wise, Baseball, Wonder, Hand, Africa, Tails, Dormitory, Queen Victoria, Psycho, Gulliver's Travels, Welsh

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: John Grisham, Sisyphus, Scotland, Henry James, Sojourner Truth, Cerebellum, Switzerland, Turkey, Herbert Hoover, Michael Collins, Dijon, Jack Johnson, Lily Ledbetter, Foxtrot, The Departed, Doc Holiday
Douglas Squasoni
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:52 am Is there any reason to expect a round's total to get more than halfway up the ladder before a miss or a bank?
I'd bet a lot of money that you'll never see it.
I saw a lot more contestants on George Gray's version go for a $5K question or a $12.5K (Season 1)/$25K (Season 2) question myself. Also, I only saw one episode of Anne Robinson's version where a contestant won more than $125K.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Who thinks the plural of moose is mice? :lol:

8 in a row twice. Banked to the max? :roll:

Americans fought the Redcoats in the Civil War. :D
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I felt bad for Ian. He seems like a kindred spirit (I identify very closely with attending Ren Faire in another franchise's garb), and he was a lot of fun to watch. The rest of the players were smart to do it, but it still sucks.
billiej

Post by billiej »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:15 am Who thinks the plural of moose is mice? :lol:

8 in a row twice. Banked to the max? :roll:

Americans fought the Redcoats in the Civil War. :D
Everyone knows the plural of moose is meese. :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey

Sunday Episode:

Highest bank total in new syndicated version.

Contestant answers Red Wine instead of just Wine, and another contestant answers Beavis instead of Beezus.

Only missed one question in the episode which was the Oprah Winfrey co-host. Lucky guessed WNBA.

Bad Misses From Contestants: Richard Branson, Rock-a-by Baby, 12 Days of Christmas, Photosynthesis

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Missouri, Miles Davis, Gilmore Girls, George Orwell, Carmen, Sequoia

Monday Episode:

Thought the competitive eater was very good, until she missed the Cheryl Crow question. Emmanuel turned out to be better than I thought.

Again only missed one question. The tortilla chips brand.

Bad Misses From Contestants: Acorn, Massachusetts, Jersey Shore, Milwaukee Brewers, Gin Rummy, Spain, Tom, Cat, Doctor Who, Coco Chanel

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Daily Planet, Iditarod, Rosie the Riveter, Don Quixote, Tuvalu, Jamie Foxx
Douglas Squasoni
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

The April 3rd Ep was easily the best ep in the revival. the 4/4 ep did not get added to my dvr so i hope they rerun it. havent watched last nights yet
LucarioSnooperVixey

AntmanB wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:19 am havent watched last nights yet
Recommend you don't. It was a disaster.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Jane's opening remark was no joke. Lots of really bad misses. Scripp's National Octonauts Bee, Ava Max a type of car, guessing Yen for Euro sign, and the contestant who missed the Joe Biden elected question ended up winning the episode.

Learned today that Pakistan has surpassed Brazil in population.

My Performance: Thanks to an episode of Jeopardy! this week, I got Kathrine McPhee correct. I am not at all into college sports, also guessed Duke. Country music quartet not gonna happen.

Bad Misses: Porky Pig, Luxor, Limerick, The Shape of Water, Euro, Spelling Bee, Joe Biden, Pop Star, Veteran's Day

Unsurprising Misses: Morehouse, Tammy Duckworth, Crazy Horse, Adkins, Bullet Train, Bluetooth, Suez Canal, Monrovia, Zone Improvement Plan, Sneezing, Neil Simon, Barefoot Contessa
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jane talking about the players wanting a better bank, "Please, may I have some more?" I can't remember if she included, "sir"?

I thought the winning get was a good one and I liked the unpredictability of the final round.
LucarioSnooperVixey

No surprise, the Harvard student is the first to get eliminated.

Jane was very kind today. She executed a BMS when a contestant said Samurai instead of Shogun, which are two very different things. The contestant then got it right. She also accepted just "Pentathlon" when it is really "Modern Pentathlon" and there have been times in the past where contestants were negged for just saying pentathlon.

Highlights: Reese "Slither"spoon. Zebra running on the hockey rink. Much Adu about nothing.

My Performance: Pop Culture hit me hard today. I almost missed enough clues in the episode to completely lose track. Bravo show actor not gonna happen. Parks and Rec actress not gonna happen. Addison Rae always escapes me. Could not get Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Not a clue on the R&B group featuring Q-Tip, don't even know what the contestant said, sounded like "A Dog Called Plus". Don't know any actors from Fast and Furious other than Vin Diesel and Paul Walker.

Bad Misses From Contestants: Monster Mash, Zamboni, Bowling, Voldemort, Oklahoma, Sphinx, Massachusetts

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Prada, The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo, Bikini, Virginia Woolf, John Coltrane, Boutonniere, William McKinley, Geiger counter
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:37 am Not a clue on the R&B group featuring Q-Tip, don't even know what the contestant said, sounded like "A Dog Called Plus".
A Tribe Called Quest